Search Unity

EWS GUI Editor Free Edition

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by ModStoryGames, Apr 24, 2013.

1. ModStoryGames

ModStoryGames

Epic Win Society
    GUI Editor Free Edition

What is the GUI Editor Free Edition?

The GEFE is an editor extension designed for creating GUIs for games and editors visually, allowing you to create a GUI quickly, then focus more time on getting the functionality right. The GUI Editor uses the built in Unity GUI, and will work anywhere UnityGUI works.

GUI Editor Free Edition vs GUI Editor 3.2

The GUI Editor 3.2 can be extended with new components, GUI Assets, and Code Generators, and can generate code. It will also receive more frequent updates, with new components, and components made specifically for creating Editors. The GUI Editor 3.2 is also completely open, so you have access to every class file.

The GUI Editor Free Edition will be updated more slowly, as it is in two DLLs, and any changes to these DLLs can (and usually does) cause GUIAssets that were created prior to changes to break permanently. The GEFE has fewer components than the full editor, but enough to get started and make several types of GUIs. The GEFE cannot generate code, and cannot be extended without modifying the DLLs.

I will do my best to respond to any bug reports or suggestions for either the GEFE or the full GUI Editor, but as this version is free, and less frequently updated, the full version will always have priority.

----

I recommend the GEFE for anyone interested in checking out the GUI Editor's capabilities, or anyone who is looking for a way around the "write code, build, run, repeat" cycle that UnityGUI often results in. To see the full GUI Editor, click here.

If you have any questions, please post here, send a PM, or contact me at eddy.ews@gmail.com.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2013
  2. ModStoryGames

ModStoryGames

The GUI Editor Free Edition has been approved and is now on the Asset Store.

3. mmisbachulc

mmisbachulc

thank's for your work, but i have a little problem
    how to generate EWS GUI Editor Free to script ?

4. ModStoryGames

ModStoryGames

The Free edition does not have code generation. You must write the script and use the GUIAsset as described in the readme. See the SimpleGUI.cs file for an example with comments.

-----

The full version of the GUI Editor has gone through some major changes. After the next update, I will update the free version to reflect some of those changes.

The Free Version will still be very limited, and won't include Editor components or Code Generation. But it will have the new Canvas, which is more unified and clean.

5. alexanderameye

alexanderameye

Is the package no longer available?