Search Unity

MMO Construction Kit

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by cookimage, Apr 22, 2013.

1. dreamlarp

dreamlarp

Pledged,

Now the long wait till Oct. 13th.

2. cookimage

cookimage

New video showing First builder reward in Neo's Land

[video=youtube_share;pq7B6_1yHX0]http://youtu.be/pq7B6_1yHX0

3. lancer4200

lancer4200

Do you expect all the hard work they have done should be free?

4. cookimage

cookimage

Here is a demo video showing how easy it is to setup the Atavism Kit with the demo Boot Camp that is free on unity.

[video=youtube_share;H0xHmLUX5nY]http://youtu.be/H0xHmLUX5nY

5. Nostre

Nostre

My god, that one, it’s too dams tempting.

You don’t think its look like phishing money too makes my game huh!

6. Sphelps

Sphelps

Anything more on this!

7. cookimage

cookimage

we will be posting a link to the bootcamp demo where you can login and test it soon. We are wondering if there would be some developers that would want to take it on as a community project to make it a playable game as in health pack, combat and so forth. We would be willing to work with and help get it p and running as a community project. Post your feelings here.

8. MrMassively

MrMassively

that is a great idea, to start a community project based on atavism server,

but was wondering why the bootcamp unity demo?I thought the atavism server was not suitable for FPS type of games,
    why not just start a fresh rpg community project based on atavism server.

count me in if you like, ill be willing to pitch in in the community project.
    just let us know how to get started.
    thanks

9. dreamlarp

dreamlarp

Love to. Post the needs.

10. John-G

John-G

Could this system be used for more slower paced first person view type mmos like warz etc
    You show it using boot camp demo, but is it possible to do bullet physics using this system.

11. dreamlarp

dreamlarp

They already stated that when shooting is added it will be more like swtor or swg than a fps.

12. cookimage

cookimage

Roundtable showing our Blueprint tool we have to build houses using a voxel system which is integrated into our Atavism server.

[video=youtube_share;WPuCrusnnWI]http://youtu.be/WPuCrusnnWI

13. dreamlarp

dreamlarp

Awesome. Props for all the Uo stuff you have. Neo next time you should do a hangout fan Friday or something.

14. VicToMeyeZR

VicToMeyeZR

IN response to your video. Since it appears you are not going to reach your goal, therefore, no actual backers funding. You mentioned "select" kickstarter backers getting access. What is you plan now to full fill this?

15. dreamlarp

dreamlarp

+1

16. cookimage

cookimage

We will move the Kickstarters to website, so they will be able to back there and still get the same rewards. We already have backers that pledged on Paypal on our website and have their rewards secured. We don't need the Kickstarter to succeed to finish the game, its more of polishing it up more with extra funding.

17. cookimage

cookimage

New version of the Blueprint Tool for Neos Land V1.1

[video=youtube_share;DSFS8efnKzA]http://youtu.be/DSFS8efnKzA

18. 3D Omelette Studio

3D Omelette Studio

wonderful.
    me love it a lot.

where is community project?
    i participate too.

19. VicToMeyeZR

VicToMeyeZR

Ahh. cool. link?

20. dreamlarp

dreamlarp

21. kiugetski

kiugetski

I want to buy the 600 $ pack
    my email is d2nytro@live.fr

let me know when i can buy it

22. cookimage

cookimage

We will be opening pre-orders in the next month or so.

23. chiapet1021

chiapet1021

A couple questions:

- Is it possible to implement even sharper edges to the voxel terrain editor tools? I'd like for a very crisp 90-degree angle between the grass on the ground and a wall of stone at the base.

- Can you provide a video demo showing off the voxel system and multiple players in the area? I'm interested in seeing whether voxel terrain has any noticeable effect on lag in a multiplayer environment.

Thanks!

24. VicToMeyeZR

VicToMeyeZR

Pledged. Good luck to you.

25. 3D Omelette Studio

3D Omelette Studio

i see you guys cancelled the kickstarter,

but how will the website pledge gonna work?
    i mean after one submits the pledge will the early access be instant? i am talking about the Atavism pledge and the Developers package.
    will one receive instant access to the engine or will there be wait time for some predefined alpha release date?

26. cookimage

cookimage

Alpha release has been moved to December but we are inviting early adapters in to start testing by November. Beta release will be January now for the engine. Other than that every thing is the same as what it was in the Kikcstarter.

27. cookimage

cookimage

In the video you will see there is a block type that has the 90 degrees with the grass already. As for multiplayers, we will have that in soon to show, as soon as we implement saving as you need to be able to save the build so other players can see it.

28. 3D Omelette Studio

3D Omelette Studio

ok, thank you

so let me see if i get it right

for pledges to the atavism server access: Atavism pledge or Developers package,
    the access will be until January? or November?

sorry , i am confuse

29. chiapet1021

chiapet1021

There's still somewhat of a slope, though. I'm talking about a very crisp edge. Same goes for the top edge of those blocks. The edges aren't a sharp 90 degrees.

30. cookimage

cookimage

Those that pledge will have access in November to the Alpha version.

31. cookimage

cookimage

So we have a edge setting in the new version of the tool. Edge gets done with 90 degrees if you choose it.

32. chiapet1021

chiapet1021

Very awesome to hear. Thanks! Looking forward to seeing more.

33. cookimage

cookimage

We have released a demo of the tool on our website, if you are a backer you can access it through the demo menu that will appear to the top right.

34. 3D Omelette Studio

3D Omelette Studio

thanks you for notice,

i register in the neosland site and i not see any download for demo.

any advise?

35. Sphelps

Sphelps

They even said
    But I still don't see it

36. cookimage

cookimage

Please send me an email with your username if you have backed and cant see the demo menu at the top menu. Email is info@neojac.com . We are linking bakers to their accounts currently.

37. 3D Omelette Studio

3D Omelette Studio

I see now you change your mind for only backers, well, if it is only for backers you need to modify that in your site, because the below statement copy and paste from your site is misleading or false advertisement.

not kool at all. :-(

38. cookimage

cookimage

We will be allowing registered players to use a demo version of the tool and backers to use the full version of the tool, so basically if you just register you will be getting an demo limited version of the tool so we at least give the bakers something more. The demo version will be a limited version we have not yet released to give early access to backers. The demo tool will be coming in a week.

39. primus88

primus88

cookimage, some quick questions regarding your service.

1. What exactly means MassiveMO in your case? How many concurrent users in the world and how many in the same location? (like a hub or city in any MMO game)
    2. Is it fully authorative?
    3. Does it support an FPS style game? Much like Rust (www.playrust.com) if you have time to check it.
    4. Does it support player construction of structures? (for example placing the walls or door of a house)
    5. The prices featured on your site, are they as a monthly subscription? Sorry, but it doesn't really say this anywhere.
    6. Will we be able to have access to something similar to a roadmap. So we can see what features are planned and when they will come. I think this is very useful since many people are planning projects around a service like yours.

Br,
    Primus

40. chiapet1021

chiapet1021

Hey primus88,

If you check out the forums at www.atavismonline.com, you'll find answers to several of these questions. I've asked many of those myself over there. :)

To the best of my knowledge, here's some info:

1.) The intent is for the engine to allow for distribution of various server functions across multiple machines, if you have those resources available. This distributed architecture should allow you to scale up capacity for any single world and/or location. Keep in mind, however, that the Unity client may be your bottleneck for concurrent users, most likely due to all of the graphics and client-side processing. That will all depend on the complexity of your game, art assets, etc. I'm not sure where NeoJac is on having load balancing for the server side yet, as they are not launching an alpha release until next month.

2.) Again, the intent is for the server to be fully authoritative. I asked this same question on the forums. At that time a few weeks ago, server side collision detection/enforcement was not yet in place, but cookimage said that it was on the immediate to-do list. I think it may be done now, but again, I'm not sure.

3.) I don't think true FPS-style combat will be supported in the initial launch. You may be able to mimic that style of combat with client-side raycasting and send the results to the server, but that obviously opens up the game to cheating by client hacking. If FPS-style combat ends up being implemented server side, my guess is the game would need to be room/lobby-based so that there are only a limited number of players in any given space. The precision required for FPS combat (headshots, etc.) is far more processing intensive than traditional tab targeting.

4.) This is supported and a key feature of the engine. Originally, NeoJac created a tile-based construction system, where each tile can be populated with some sort of housing building block (e.g., flooring, a wall, a door). More recently, the company is also implementing voxel-based construction and terraforming. I'll be interested to see how that system pans out in an MMO setting. I suspect that is also a very resource-intensive feature, so I don't know how well it will work with a large number of concurrent players in an area.

5.) If you're referring to the engine license pricing, those should be one-time costs for that license tier, not a monthly fee. Also, NeoJac does not require royalties on revenue generated from any game you develop using the engine.

6.) A brief, high-level roadmap was just posted to the forum two days ago. It's in the Announcement section.

Hope that helps!

Last edited: Oct 17, 2013
  41. primus88

primus88

Ah! Thank you chiapet.
    Indeed I wasn't expecting for true FPS combat to be available. I will have to think around that.
    Also I am impressed by the pricing...
    It is interesting how they will manage to hold the infrastructure with only one time payments.

42. chiapet1021

chiapet1021

I believe NeoJac is planning on setting up an asset store somewhat similar to Unity's model. The assets they sell directly and the royalties they would receive from other developers selling via their marketplace would provide additional revenue on top of the base engine license purchase. I'm hoping it all works out successfully--and quickly, too. :)

43. cookimage

cookimage

Thanks chiapet for explaining, also we have a Pledge reward on our www.neosland.com website , one at $70 gives you early alpha access but with the first tier license and second one at $340 gives you early Alpha access , tier two license and also any assets we are developing for the game Neo's Land that we release to the Unity asset Store.

44. mateodon

mateodon

cookimage, I saw that you recently posted on the TerraVol forums. Will Atavism by chance be compatible with TerraVol?

Also, 2 questions regarding your license structure. First, will the concurrent user limit be linked to a single server? As an example, say I wanted to make a game available on 3 servers with 3 different settings, normal, friendly, and hardcore. Could I purchase a single license and distribute the concurrent user limit among the 3 servers, or would I have to purchase 3 licenses?

Second, the original post says that each license is an upgrade, but I am unclear on whether that means an upgrade to the base license, or an upgrade to the previous license. Or rather, would the total cost of the Legendary License be $645 ($45 Base + $600 Legendary), or would it be $1000 ($45 Base + $120 Veteran + $235 Expert + $600 Legendary)?

45. cookimage

cookimage

We are using TerraVol currently for Neo's Land but am having problems with saving the maps, waiting for his next update to see if that's being fixed but the current Blueprint Tool is TerraVol. That being said if we cant get those issue sorted with it we will be moving to another system for voxel building as that's a very key feature that's needed. As for licenses its upgrade from previous tier so yes the Legendary will cost around $1000 as you have to have the other tiers. The concurrent users are linked to a single server so if you had 3 servers each one will have its own concurrent users, no matter if its the same game.So if you have the Veteran License you can have 450 concurrent users on each server.

46. Sphelps

Sphelps

Yea wont be buying that lol

47. mateodon

mateodon

So if you're currently using TerraVol in Neo's Land, it should be more or less compatible with Atavism (assuming the save issue gets resolved)?

That's good news about the concurrent users, I'd imagine I'd never need more than the Veteran License, as 450 players per-server seems like an astronomical number for any project I could conceive.

48. cookimage

cookimage

Yes it should if we can get that save problem working.

49. cookimage

cookimage

New video showing Infinite terrain system. This is our first draft of our terrain paging system. It allows you to have a world without any end. Next steps will be to allow developers to set a certain size they want to have their world if they want.

50. david55527

david55527

Looks very very promising.

A few questions, probably for sooms as they are regarding the technical side. Earlier in the thread you stated that different processes (proxy, world, AI, etc.) would be able to be spread across servers. Will we be able to spread them across cores of a single server as well?

I understand that Atavism may not be fully optimized yet as it has not even reached beta yet, but can you talk a little about how it's optimized, or how you plan to optimize it, in terms of bandwidth? You mentioned earlier that you were utilizing a quad-tree to only send updates about players/mobs to players nearby. About how big are the quadrants that the world is divided into and is this something that is customizable without access to the source code? Also, how many updates (position/rotation/etc.) are sent per second for players and for mobs? Again, would something like this be customizable without source code access? What other optimizations have been done to ensure that as many people can be in one area as possible (do players or mobs that aren't moving still send update information)?

Thanks for your time :)

Last edited: Oct 30, 2013