Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

MMO Construction Kit

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by cookimage, Apr 22, 2013.

1. Uncasid

Uncasid

It is called a strawman, and thus invalidates anything he says. People that have no ground to argue usually come up with gems like "you are a douchenozzleator" or "what, are you -100", all the while thinking that they "got" you. The stark reality is that they only "got" themselves. The whole internet laughs at your kind, I hope you realize this, CaptainExtra

Last edited: Aug 28, 2013
  2. CaptainExtra300

CaptainExtra300

lol,

God creates them and the fat raging kids find eachother and grab their hands to start a union,
    just lol.

remember to chill to prevent a vain from popping out, or.... or lay off from the cheetos and cup cakes, lol
    start working out , well at least help your dear mothers to take out the garbage bag. lol

Chill out sons

3. Sphelps

Sphelps

And we are back, going a little off topic here!

Is there a custom character system in this kit?

4. chiapet1021

chiapet1021

There is at least functionality for items like weapons and armor to be displayed when equipped. I'm not sure if there are additional options out-of-the-box just yet, such as color dyes or body/face sliders.

5. Hamilton

Hamilton

Cookimage is attending the Unity Conference, so there won't be much info to pass until that is over.

And yes. would be good to keep this civil and not as a PvP Forum. Must indeed be the excitement, which is killing me as well.

Yes, Atavism is to be available for most genres (I did not type, "all" as there could be some new/obscure genre that I am not familiar with).
    Modern and Sci-Fi add in more complexity, for one example dealing with combat ranges. Fantasy tends to be less than 50m (arrows, black powder and spells), while Modern is about 300m and when using vehicles can go into kilometers; then factor in time on target, target movement and other variables. Fantasy is more simplistic and does provide a good foundation, in my opinion. Originally as mentioned before, Islands of War (fantasy) was originally being designed, so that is what has been shown so far.

I personally think it would have been an unwise business move (and not much of a system) to settle with a single genre.

6. cookimage

cookimage

We have just launched our website with some information on it as well as a forum so feel free to check it out. http://www.atavismonline.com/

7. Sphelps

Sphelps

That is cool!

8. CaptainExtra300

CaptainExtra300

Looking good,

now, how about early adopter release for those who want to start learning the network engine now, so we wont have to look somewhere else in the meantime and waiting for 2 or 3 months?

9. chiapet1021

chiapet1021

If the alpha or beta release isn't until December, I don't know that you'll be able to get it much earlier than that. I would assume that full release would not be for at least a few months after anyway, and there would still be significant changes to the engine before that final release date.

I'm eager to get my hands on it too, btw. :)

10. cookimage

cookimage

We have incorporated the procedural character creation system which will be release free with unity. You can learn more of it here. All character information between players has been serialized across the server and the system is fully functional. Here is a link to the forum post of the Procedural Character System.

11. chiapet1021

chiapet1021

Very nice! I was actually considering doing something with Daz3D models and morphs for character customization, which would've still cost quite a bit for developer's licenses and what-not, but still cheaper than completely new assets. Incorporating UMA into your kit, however, is an even more cost effective option! And probably easier to work with in the kit too lol

12. gie005

gie005

I'm a little confused, will you be able to buy the kit and make a game on your own, or are we going to be editing/contributing to your game ?
    Will we host the game ourselfs? Or will it use your network ? (I'd preffer hosting my game on my own servers, not on someone else's)
    Because your website's really confusing me.

13. chiapet1021

chiapet1021

The answer to the first question is "both". :) Neojac is both developing the kit for customers to build their own games, as well as creating a Neojac-developed MMO that will use the kit.

As for server hosting, I'm pretty certain Neojac is not offering server hosting as an option (like you would get for Hero Cloud). Basically, a customer who buys the kit will get both the Unity plugin (for the client) and the server backend, which is based on Java, Python, and MySQL. You will need to have your own hardware to support the server side.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2013
  14. cookimage

cookimage

Sorry for the confusion, will check and see if we can make it more clearer. We are currently developing our won MMO with the kit so we can show a actual full MMO game that is developed with it. In our MMO game players will be able to develop assets and add it to the game as well as sell it on the asset store. But the game is a totally separate entity. With the Atavism engine developers will be able to build their own games with the kit and setup their own servers. At this stage we are not intending to do hosting of servers for developers but if there is a need for that we will look into it.

15. cookimage

cookimage

Just posted a Video showing basic Character creation for our MMO game . This shows the integration into Atavism online.

[video=youtube_share;YrBHtOrawUA]http://youtu.be/YrBHtOrawUA

16. dreamlarp

dreamlarp

Amazing, will these models have expansions also? Or are they not included in the kit?

17. cookimage

cookimage

Those models is of the UMA system as you have to have them to do Morphing. If you don't want to use this system but just regular models without Morphing capabilities you can also. We will be adding some more models with the UMA system our self as well to give a bigger variate.

18. dreamlarp

dreamlarp

yes it was the morphing I was looking for. But how will it be to have other genre's than fantasy? How hard will it be to add our own?

19. Sphelps

Sphelps

Would be nice to have a Elves and like Dwarfs and other models to go off of.
    But that is cool!

20. cookimage

cookimage

I am pretty sure it will be easy to make your own character to add in. Fernando who made the UMA system has a bunch of videos and information on it, as for our system what ever you make for UMA will work right off the bat with our integration.

21. cookimage

cookimage

We will be adding many races over time , and those will definitely be some.

22. CaptainExtra300

CaptainExtra300

nice character creation system,

got other question:
    you guys planing to add match-making system?
    for pvp battlegrounds or dungeon finder etc...

23. cookimage

cookimage

We had a battleground system before with our old client so its just a matter of connecting it to Unity so Yes.

24. CaptainExtra300

CaptainExtra300

nice,
    keep us posted of new addons and updates

thanks

25. Distant_Temples

Distant_Temples

This project is looking AWESOME!

I have also been following the thread listed below for Crafty launcher and patch system and I was wondering if you have a system like this planned for the MMO Construction Kit or if you plan to support the use of it with the MMO Construction Kit . I'm wondering if the Crafty System is going to be a purchase that I want to make for my project that I will be using the MMO Construction Kit for when it releases.

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/151893-Crafty-launcher-and-patch-system-for-Unity-and-others

26. chiapet1021

chiapet1021

Looks like a very cool add-on!

27. cookimage

cookimage

There will definitely be a Patch system as that is a key system for MMO games. We have had a Launcher and patch system before so its most likely just a matter of plugin it into unity.

28. Distant_Temples

Distant_Temples

Awesome. I was just wondering while reading your reply. Will it support a news feed and ads? I myself liked that fact the crafty doesn't run ads. But when is comes to funding a game running ads may be an " option " developers wish to have.

29. cookimage

cookimage

We will look into that, but those are more features we will look to bring out once alpha has started.

30. Distant_Temples

Distant_Temples

Thats cool. The whole launcher and patcher are an awesome feature on their own.

31. CaptainExtra300

CaptainExtra300

got another question, this may be a little technical so hopefully the code developer can come to the rescue and share his thoughts.

my question is since the kit will support massive continuous world, as you stated that the backend quadtree server handles it, but can you explain how this is handled via the unity client side?

is it by breaking down the one large terrain/assets scene into small zones/prefabs stitched together that the client will instantiate as player moves around? ,
    or you planing to seamlessly switch scenes dynamically in run time?

or are you planning to use unity pro features to use assets bundles?

--- will appreciate if you elaborate more in depth how the streaming/continuous world be achieved via unity client.

-- is there plans for a path finding solution for the server side? AI perhaps?

-- how about server web admin interface like SmartFox Server ie:
    kick, bam users, see load status etc......

--and hopefully you guys already working on the server side collisions too, an authoritative server is not fully authoritative unless one of the features of many, includes server side collisions as well, :)

thanks

Last edited: Sep 2, 2013
  32. cookimage

cookimage

We are looking into a voxel system for the terrain, if implemented it will change the way terrain is handled so can tell much more on that at the moment.

33. im

im

very nice, cant wait for it to get released in asset store :)

34. chiapet1021

chiapet1021

Wow, that's very interesting and exciting! I didn't think this would be possible. Hope it doesn't delay the engine release. I'm really wanting to get my hands on it. :)

35. CaptainExtra300

CaptainExtra300

thanks,
    but was looking into a more elaborated and logical explanation on the terrain mechanics
    as well on my other questions.

so you saying that terrain is still not implemented? sounds like way too many features to implement to the kit in a very short time frame to release since you guys planning to release a beta in 2 months.

i can imagine the hair pulling from the developer to accomplish those undertaking milestones in a very short time for a single coder. if doing the math, i sometimes think it may be humanly impossible for a single coder to accomplish such large scale tasks in a short time.
    i hope ha has some Speedy Gonzalez skills for coding and patience, since too much pressure can make one to break, :)

cheers

Last edited: Sep 3, 2013
  36. chiapet1021

chiapet1021

Terrain is already implemented, based on the videos that have been posted. But a voxel terrain system would probably change the mechanics drastically. That's why I'm hoping that if NeoJac is trying to put this in, that they aren't pushing back any milestone or release dates for it. To me, voxels would be a very cool feature, but much lower on the priority list compared to the more fundamental systems.

37. CaptainExtra300

CaptainExtra300

yeah, ive seen the videos, but the terrain from those videos are from other engine, i think the engine they created before turning to unity.
    so seems like so far the unity migration of their server backend still do not have terrain system already implemented to work with the server quad tree system to stream terrain.

so unless they already have something basic terrain lined up or done or the regular terrain from unity wich still has no streaming capability or sync with the quad tree server system,

this news are not so good for some of us wanting to get our hands on it in a couple of months since seems that may be little bit later than that.

anyways, hopefully we can hear the actual coder reviews and thoughts.

38. chiapet1021

chiapet1021

The most recent video on the housing system should have been done using the Unity client and Atavism server backend. What makes you think it was done using the old Multiverse-based engine?

39. CaptainExtra300

CaptainExtra300

are you talking about these videos:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/islandsofwar/videos

i dont think they are with unity engine client.

the OP mentioned these videos were with the other engine they had.
    not multiverse since they stopped using it before, but their own inhouse c# client engine.
    the reason they turn to unity as client was due of the other inhouse engine lack of advance graphics and features capability.

but i dont think the videos , any of them are with unity.

maybe i am wrong, but they dont show to be.

40. chiapet1021

chiapet1021

Yeah, I think you're making false assumptions. There are some videos that show you how they use scripts to configure things like items. Those are definitely in the Unity UI and were posted at least a few months ago, so I don't know how you would think they haven't already been working on the Unity client to integrate with their backend.

41. cookimage

cookimage

Seeing we are looking at a alpha release in two months nothing is finalized until then. And everything will mostly likely change still. So no use giving you to much detail to be changing it later. As for the voxel system, it wont be pushing the release date out as we will be releasing two options for developers to use in regards to terrain as they will be different pricing tiers. And lastly we do have more than one programmer working on the project.

42. cookimage

cookimage

That is the only video that is using our old system, the latest videos are all done in unity. You can even see the Unity editor UI we have posted. I am curious, what is the name of the company you are working for ?

43. CaptainExtra300

CaptainExtra300

I must of missed the latest videos.

can you point me to them?

no company, i am working alone?, why?, you need some help with your project.

i am both coder/graphics designer specially for networked games, used to work for some mmo projects before, but not since 2 years ago when i went solo.

pm me if interested. i am pretty sure i can bring great deal to the table.

cheers

44. chiapet1021

chiapet1021

The videos are all throughout this thread as well as on NeoJac's YouTube channel. Also, there are new forums on Atavism Online's newly launched website, and I've had questions answered there.

I'd recommend doing more research before making assumptions about what is or isn't implemented yet. While I also wish for more information about what's going on (and I always will), there's a lot more out there than you think, if you just look a bit.

45. dreamlarp

dreamlarp

Wow did you just offer to join these guys after trying to put them down time after time? No wonder your solo.
    In this industry you can not afford to be as negative as you have been. You never know who you might need to hire you one day. Just FYI.

@cookimage
    Maybe 2 months till alpha is amazing.

46. CaptainExtra300

CaptainExtra300

lol, here it goes :)

Is this how you feel if someone puts some criticism to you? to put you down? i dont think you following the "criticism",
    it sure shows you cant handle the pressure. i was only stating facts and they know they are facts, nothing made up and all tangible facts.

how old are you btw? it seems that we dealing with underage kids all over the place.

i am solo because i already finished 2 commercial projects jobs, and yes, 1 mmo and 1 single player title and yes i was paid and real well to do the job since it was no lets get together as friends and build an mmo out of the thin air, so no they were no amateur team project.
    this is what i do for living and not for hobby.

47. chiapet1021

chiapet1021

To be fair, CaptainExtra300, some of your "facts" have been wrong, even today. You claimed that NeoJac didn't have things like terrain implemented in Unity or that they hadn't even released any videos showing their Unity client. That is clearly not the case, as there are several videos and screenshots that were released after the "Islands of War" video, including some that show the Unity editor UI in them.

You also made statements along the lines of someone not directly addressing your question means that something has not been implemented (like terrain management). Is that a possibility? Of course it's possible, but you state it pretty much like you know for sure--when you don't. It's when you state your assumptions like they are facts that is rather frustrating to many of us who are following this asset's development.

48. CaptainExtra300

CaptainExtra300

well, there is nothing to be frustrated about.
    my critics and comments are not going to delay or advance their developing and plans status.
    so dont get frustrated.

if one knows what other is talking about then you know where is it headed.

for instance, if you ask someone where he lives, lets say he tells you he lives downtown from any given city, and you been downtown, so as soonest he tells you he lives downtown you already picturing where he lives at because you been there before and know the whereabouts.

is same principle.

for example, when i asked what or how they were handling the client streaming terrain/world to support or sync the server quad tree feature for seamless world or large scale word, and when he stated they were looking for a voxel terrain system, so that means the seamless/continuous world from the client side has not been implemented yet,

even if there are already using unity client with the existing terrain, it does not mean they have configured the streaming world with it, why? because they plan to add voxel system
    meaning, there is no terrain system yet with the unity client that handles the server backend quad tree continuous/seamless world.

ok, you say in their latest videos they already using terrain system, well i dont argue with that, since to use a terrain in unity you just click on Game component -> create other -> terrain and voila there is terrain.
    but it does not mean it is already working or configure or setup for the server backend quad tree continuous/seamless world. and creating a voxel terrain system is not just point a click and just add a 5 line c# script to the existing unity terrain, this is another ball game, way complicated, ask the developer of existing voxel terrains in the assetstore.

i mean i dont just talk with ungrounded nonsense just for the sake of it, you need to be in the game to do a critic and a critic no necessary needs to be to put down someone, but to help jump-start ones and see outside the box,

now in real time, knowing how developing works and for such an undertaking job as a mmo framework, it is obvious the task planned will be very stressful for such a short milestone time frame for alpha release in 2 months.

i mean it does not mean they wont release an alpha in 2 months, but the milestone may be not as close as per plans, unless they have a full team working full time on the planned addon features.

just being realistic and wishing the best, i even offered my help since he asked if i was with a company, but as you read above some take it as negative stating i mean to put down a team, .

cheers

Last edited: Sep 3, 2013
  49. dreamlarp

dreamlarp

+1
    You have commented many time and not in a helpful manner that someone who has the experience you claim to have would do. You have not taken the time to read through or follow the thread before you chimed in critically instead of being helpful. If you have so much experience why not just leave these guys to there work and make your own?

And I do not work with these guys at all. Your response to me is aimed as if you think I do. I do not have to work with them to see how well they are doing or to be encouraging. Something you might want to try.

This kit is a work in progress and they are letting us contribute to it. Why can't you just help instead of trying to knock others down?
    There are many kits being made that are not working with the community to make them better. A few of them are listening to the people who will buy these kits like these guys and zerano just to name a few.

If you would like to be helpful great. Then be encouraging and take the time to know what they are doing fully. If not don't highjack someone else thread for your own ego.

50. chiapet1021

chiapet1021

CaptainExtra300,

I'm not going to continue trying to debate with you; it's a futile attempt. It's obvious to me that you feel that you have done nothing wrong in what or how you've posted on this thread. Unfortunately, I don't think many others share in your perspective.

Regardless, I hope you find the tools you're looking for to help you realize your game concepts. That is what we all want here in this community. Some of us just express ourselves in less antagonistic, less controversial ways.