Search Unity

uTomate - The automation solution for Unity3D!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by kork, Apr 13, 2013.

1. TonyLi

TonyLi

Me too!

2. electroflame

electroflame

I'd definitely pay for an update as well. uTomate is too valuable to lose!

3. Stanchion

Stanchion

Author should make a Kickstarter at least

4. fizzd

fizzd

I'm not upgrading to 2017.1 solely because of uTomate, the best tool I've ever used. Does anyone have (and have used) alternatives to auto-build for Mac and Win, copy some additional files in to the folders, zip, and upload? uTomate could do all this so well.

5. EmeralLotus

EmeralLotus

Please an update to this amazing lifesaving tool.

6. recon0303

recon0303

Why not just charge for an update?? so people can use it still??

7. The_Arrival

The_Arrival

Since i totally understand the reasons for deprecating the tool i´d totally support a charged update once in a while. Specially with a support-heavy tool like uTomate

8. Jean-Fabre

Jean-Fabre

Hi,

Coming back from Unite Austin, I was pleasantly surprised that almost all publishers I talked too regrets that uTomate went down. I think uTomate is a great tool for publishers.

So yes, make us pay for updates, we are okay with this, we are not end users but actual dev looking for ways to improve and speed workflow. utomate is one of these tools :)

Bye,

Jean

recon0303 likes this.
  9. sxa

sxa

If anyone's interested, Ive got a starting point for dropping the Unityscript eval() requirement, in the hope that this can be kept running past Unity 2017.

Ive used the GameDevWare C# Eval() for Unity from the Asset store, which is a paid $10 asset, but Im only just getting familiar with C#, so it was easier for me to leverage that than some of the other similar libraries out there.

So far, I can get it to properly evaluate the built-in variables (like $home:folder) and string-based user-defined variables (ie basic uTomate Project Properties and Editor Properties). Its crude code, though, all Ive done is try and unpick how variables are being wrapped in UTomate expressions, then hacked that into text strings suitable for the C# eval(), but so far it does work for my limited set of examples. It really is a novice-level hack, but maybe somebody with better C# than me can make a nicer job of it.

Im hoping its forgivable to post a few lines of the original code.

all changes are to
    uTomate/Editor/PublicAPI/UTContext.cs

Needs the following additional 'using' statements, which Ive wrapped in an #if directive

Code (CSharp):
    1. namespace AncientLightStudios.uTomate.API
    2. {
    3.     using System;
    4.     using System.Collections.Generic;
    5.     using System.Text.RegularExpressions;
    6.     using UnityEngine;
    7.     using Object = UnityEngine.Object;
    8.     #if UNITY_2018_1_OR_NEWER || UTOMATE_EVAL_USECSHARP
    9.           using GameDevWare.Dynamic.Expressions;
    10.           using GameDevWare.Dynamic.Expressions.CSharp;
    11.     #endif
    and some crude code added to the Evaluate() method to look up the correct properties[] values, and massage expressions so they're fit for the c# expression evaluator. Again, wrapped in the same #if directive

Code (CSharp):
    2.       public object Evaluate(string input)
    3.       {
    5.        // modded by sxa : relies on #defines for choice of evaluation engine
    6.        #if UNITY_20181_OR_NEWER || UTOMATE_EVAL_USECSHARP
    7.        try
    8.           {
    9.              var replaced = input;
    10.              foreach (Match m in Regex.Matches(input,PlaceholderRegexp))
    11.                {
    12.                  replaced = replaced.Replace(m.Value, "\"" + properties[m.Value.Replace("$","")].ToString() + "\"");  
    13.                 }
    14.                 var expression = CSharpExpression.Evaluate<object>(replaced);
    15.                 return expression;
    16.            }
    18.        #else //if older than UNITY_2018_1 or csharp eval not being used we can use the original js code
    19.        try
    20.           {
    21.              var replaced = Regex.Replace(input, PlaceholderRegexp, "context['$1']");
    22.              // we call this via reflection because we cannot reference unityscript stuff directly
    23.              return UTInternalCall.InvokeStatic("UTEval", "Evaluate", replaced, this);
    24.             }
    25.        #endif
    Feel free to ignore if this turns out to be a project-killing dog's breakfast, but maybe it'll spawn some thought on whether uTomate's lifespan can be extended in some fashion.

10. kork

kork

Hi everyone, we've received quite a few requests via mail for keeping uTomate alive and this forum thread also reflects this. While we cannot really see how big the demand really is, we see that there is some demand. We're currently evaluating if and how we could address this demand without getting ourselves into an undesirable situation again. No promises at this point, but we're looking at it. Just wanted to let you know.

tcmeric, TonyLi and jGate99 like this.
  11. Stanchion

Stanchion

@kork Kickstarter or Patreon ?

TonyLi likes this.
  12. recon0303

recon0303

I would pay an upgrade for this asset... like many others do at certain points. many do this to keep income and keep it updated.

TonyLi likes this.
  13. kork

kork

Okay, we've cooked up a survey to find out how much interest there actually is and what direction would be preferred. It would help tremendously if you could fill out the survey (it's just 5 questions).

@Jean-Fabre - you mentioned that you spoke to publishers on Unite, maybe you could make them aware of the survey so we get a bit more diverse input.

@Anyone Else - spreading info about the survey would tremendously help, so if you know someone who is using uTomate please make him or her aware of the survey (this would be so much easier if we had the mail addresses of our customers, but alas we don't...).

14. silentneedle

silentneedle

nvm, confused this topic with another one.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
  15. sxa

sxa

We already get the source in the package, so what do you mean beyond that?

16. sxa

sxa

I guess not enough; the website now seems to be gone, replaced by a login requirement. Glad I got copies of the pages, because that's the bulk of the documentation gone now.

17. Jean-Fabre

Jean-Fabre

cool, I just wanted to refresh my memory on wildards, but I bumped into this login form as well.

Any chance to have a link to the doc copies you have? do you have the one on the wildcard?

It's such a bummer that it's not supported anymore. I just tried on a 2017.3 project and it's all fine minus on js script, which is not a big deal, apart from that, saves me hours down the road and peace of mind when it's time to do builds and editor routines.

Bye,

Jean

18. sxa

sxa

I spidered the whole website, so it should include everything, the documentation, tutorials, FAQ etc, even the older version of the docs, the lot. Here it is as a zipfile.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/diarqssvqapgt3m/uTomateDocs.zip?dl=0

(Obviously, this is all copyrighted. If anyone from Ancient Light or Unity Tech has an objection to me sharing this, I'll pull it. )

recon0303 and docsavage like this.
  19. docsavage

docsavage

I'm grateful for this as well. The site seemd to have a fair bit more info than the documents.

Hope they don't object. Can't see them though as they always seemed really helpful and those docs are needed.

Thanks for this.

recon0303 likes this.
  20. recon0303

recon0303

Thanks, a lot

21. kork

kork

docsavage and TonyLi like this.
  22. Jean-Fabre

Jean-Fabre

Thanks!

Bye

Jean

23. docsavage

docsavage

Much appreciated. Wish you still was working on it though. Especially while it doesn't import into 2018.2.

Very useful tool. Totally agee with recons post above when he said an upgrade fee sounds fair.

Thanks

24. devteamsolar

devteamsolar

This tool looks great! Is it still being supported?
    Are there any alternatives that are similar?

25. TonyLi

TonyLi

I would happily pay a substantial update price if @kork were to bring it back and update it for the latest Unity versions.

If anyone knows any alternatives, please share!

26. Recon03

Recon03

ya he talked about it, but nothing came of it, he should charge a yearly charge for updates, more people are doing it. I would be fine with it.

27. Jakub_Machowski

Jakub_Machowski

Is something simillar to this asset on asset store avaliable?

28. TonyLi

TonyLi

@elmar1028 is working on a replacement asset, built from the ground up. It's in beta testing. I don't know when it will be on the store.

elmar1028 likes this.
  29. Jakub_Machowski

Jakub_Machowski

30. Santennio

Santennio

ImpossibleRobert and jGate99 like this.
  31. elmar1028

elmar1028

It will be live soon! I've submitted it to the Asset Store.

Read the announcement with more info here: https://forum.unity.com/threads/rocktomate-an-automation-solution-for-unity-engine.814203/

I've been working on RockTomate for over the year now and tried my best to include all features and actions that uTomate had, such as compressing ZIP files, compiling C# scripts to DLL and so forth.

I've also added some new features which some users might like such as reusable variables across jobs, running jobs within jobs (a great way to reduce duplicate work) and loads more!

Another cool thing is that Steps and Macros (mini functions that can run in expression mode) are fully open source. Contributions welcome!

d1favero and TonyLi like this.