Search Unity

TATAKAI Tactical Battle FX [RELEASED]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by chingwa, Apr 6, 2013.

1. chingwa

chingwa

PLEASE NOTE: THIS ASSET HAS BEEN DEPRECATED AND IS NO LONGER AVAILABLE.

TATAKAI Tactical Battle FX for Unity and Unity Pro

Tatakai is a complete system of effects and components that brings realistic ballistics, firearm handling, and powerful customizable explosions to Unity developers. By utilizing an individual component based approach, you can quickly and easily incorporate advanced effects into any type of Unity project.

Available Now on:
    Tanuki Digital.com
    Unity Asset Store

Webplayer DEMO

Features:
    • Customizable component-based explosion effects
    • Built-in shrapnel, force, and physics
    • Multiple detonation types to simulate a variety of real-world variables
    • Realistic ballistics, projectile velocity, ricochet, and bullet drop over distance
    • Detailed firearm handling such as loading, bolt management, and jamming
    • Automatic particle effect, debris object, and sound caching
    • Dynamic gunsight reticules show firearm accuracy
    • Doppler and speed-of-sound audio delay effects
    • Includes fully playable mini-game example scene (see demo)

VIDEO TUTORIALS:
    INITIAL SETUP and BASIC EXPLOSION OBJECT:

More tutorials coming soon...

Available Now on:
    Tanuki Digital.com
    Unity Asset Store

For more information visit the sites below:
    TATAKAI Home Page
    TATAKAI HELP Forum
    TATAKAI Documentation (in progress)

Last edited: Mar 23, 2016
  2. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

Very nicely done, looks like a lot of fun to use.

3. chingwa

chingwa

Thanks a lot SpookyCat! Yes, blowing stuff up is always fun... there's something primal about it :D

4. chingwa

chingwa

Tatakai has now been accepted and is available for purchase on the Unity Asset Store! I'm looking forward to everyone's comments and suggestions!

5. chingwa

chingwa

Hello All, I'd just like to give a big thanks out to those who have already purchased Tatakai. The Tatakai documentation is being added to constantly and currently is about 50% complete. I'll continue to update this on a daily basis until it's complete with version 1.0.

I also have a bug-fix which I'm going to be sending into the Asset Store for early next week, so any feedback you guys have... issues or bugs that you've run across, let me know and I'll see if they can be included along with the next update.

6. chingwa

chingwa

The version 1.1 update has been sent into the asset store. This has a number of bug fixes which I'll detail once it's available, but mainly it was issued to fix a serious import bug that was cropping up on some systems. With a little luck it'll be available on the asset store by tomorrow.

7. chingwa

chingwa

Hi Guys,

version 1.12 has been posted to the asset store with the following bug fixes:

• FIXED - inexplicable null Reference errors related to array handling (during gameplay)
    • FIXED - Arming component not properly preventing explosion detonation effects from occurring.
    • FIXED - Disappearing explosion objects during large numbers of concurrent explosions.
    • FIXED - Sound effects inadverdently emitting multiple times for one explosion.
    • FIXED - Fire / tracer / spark shader order affecting visibility. These now use custom shader.
    • FIXED - Explosion Object position offset attribute not offsetting explosion effects.
    • FIXED - Pragma Strict declaration errors related to array handling on explosion_controller.
    • FIXED - Caution downcast errors on a variety of components.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2013
  8. Patheagames

Patheagames

Hi, I have a question. Is this using animation or ik to hold on to the gun? Can the system allow gun switching?

9. chingwa

chingwa

Hi Zede,

The gun object in tatakai has an "Attach To Bone" slot... so you can directly specify a specific body part such as a hand, or if you have an extra "gun" or "prop" bone in your character you could attach it their instead. In the demo, the recoil is handled by an animation, rather than IK or procedural motion. There isn't currently a gun-switching function, but I would like to add it in a future update, as well as a few addition weapon examples. Do you have any other specific features you would like to see?

10. gian-reto-alig

gian-reto-alig

You write about realistic drop-off and velocities of gun trajectories... is this only for visuals, or also for physics? Is you package giving me physics components to model a realistic shell trajectory (for example for a artillery weapon type, calculate a "curved raycast" to get the hit point) and hit at the right time for a given muzzle velocity?

Regards

Gian-Reto

11. chingwa

chingwa

Hi gian-reto alig,

Trajectory is calculated on the fly with raycasts. The total arc of the trajectory isn't calculated at the moment of firing, rather it has physics working on it over the course of the projectile lifespan. So a projectile is shot with a certain amount of initial force at a certain vector... and over time the projectile has defineable gravity and defineable friction working against it, thus altitude drops and rotation changes.

As the projectile is airborn it sends raycasts from it's current position/rotation at a specific distance to determine if it hits any objects. Once it hits an object you can define the damage amount or behavior, such as incidence of ricochet, or force of impact.

One thing I would say is these are not mathematic trajectories.... you won't find actual scientific formulas here, they simply use the Unity physics system to approximate an actual trajectory. So I call it "realistic" because it is realistic within the Unity system, however it isn't what i would call scientifically accurate, just in case that is what you're asking.

12. Venged

Venged

Looks great. Is there a third person example scene included?

13. chingwa

chingwa

Hi Venged, the demo scene shown above is included with the asset. :)

14. gian-reto-alig

gian-reto-alig

Thanks for the quick answer... I was not looking fo science, just if your package gaps this hole in the unity physics system, which it seems it does.

Your answer though begs another question: seeing the amount of raycasts that are spwawned by a single shot: hows the performance? I assume there is a noticable FPS Dip as soon as multiple characters fire automatic weapons in full automatic mode, but by how much approx.? Could you give an example?

Regards

Gian-Reto

15. chingwa

chingwa

This is an excellent question. The raycast frequency can be controlled by a "detection sensitivty" attribute. This can be adjusted to balance between accuracy and performance. But more to your point, I'll put together an example that shows some stress testing of the system with some actual numbers. Stay tuned!

16. gian-reto-alig

gian-reto-alig

thanks a Iot for trying to clear this up. what is the downside to reducing the "detection sensitivity"? Is it just less ray casts being used thus resulting in a less smooth trajectory?

17. chingwa

chingwa

Trajectory isn't affected by raycasts. The trajectory is handles with standard Unity rigidbody/collider components, and the performance is determined by how quickly the unity physics system is running in your scene / project. As long as you don't have massive physics performance issues then the trajectory should be fine.

Projectiles (if they are firing at a realistic speed) are almost always moving too fast for the physics system alone to handle, with the result that projectiles will almost certainly travel through an object and not register a hit on it. Because of this Tatakai uses raycasts to supplement hit detection, casting forward at a set interval and a set distance. If a hit is detected either from the physics system or one of the raycasts the projectile is passed to one of the detonation functions. The downside to reducing the detection sensitivity is less accurate hit detection, as a tradeoff for stability and speed. But you can also adjust the distance of the raycast as well to make up for this somewhat.

Below is a jpg of the components associated with a projectile in Tatakai. There are many other components as well for actions such as explosions, detonations, and effects, but this might give you a better idea of the system...

The physics is handled with simple Unity rigidbody and collider, the projectile component handles all projectile attributes (number of projectils per shot, projectile spread, bounce chance, initial velocity etc.), there is a sound component intended to simulate the "whoosh" or "crack" you might hear as a round flies by you, and the explosion object handles the state of impact of the projectile.

18. gian-reto-alig

gian-reto-alig

Hi chingwa

Okay, that explains it. Sounds good, I'll check out the pictures the get a better.... picture of the whole system :)

Thanks a lot for the explanations

Gian-Reto

19. Venged

Venged

I think I'm gonna give this a try even though I prefer C# scripts and only use and understand C# at this stage my learning. This may save me time on my game development.

My only hesitation now is I'm scared if I buy it today that I will wake up in the morning and find that it is the new daily deal and discounted. LOL it have happened to me.

This asset looks great.

20. chingwa

chingwa

Thanks for your interest Venged! If you choose to purchase Tatakai and have any questions or need help setting it up in your project just let me know. It hasn't been submitted to the daily deal, the current price will remain for the forseeable future (I've been burned by that in the past as well ;) )

21. Venged

Venged

@Chingwa

Thanks! Just purchased it. Booyaa!!! Looking forward to using it!

22. chingwa

chingwa

Thanks for your purchase Venged!

23. gian-reto-alig

gian-reto-alig

Hi chingwa

I did purchase your package days ago, as some of the functionality matches perfectly what I try to do in my game prototype.
    I did not have time to integrate it yet (and that is the first downer: it seems to be far from plug and play... I would not expect that, IF not for the quite steep price!), but from my first (failed) attempts I can already tell you this:

Please don't expect people to have a single mainCamera in the scene. This might work in most Singleplayer scenes (even though some might rename cameras, especially if they have multiples), but my prototype is a splitscreen scene, where this approach falls flat on its face. Having to go into each and every script and comment your lines with mainCamera in them is quite a hassle for something that costs more than just pocket money (then I would not complain). I haven't even yet tested if your scripts really work for multiple cams, some of the functionality seems to be bound to a camera (camshake) and I will have even more work to make this work with my 3x2 cams (2 players, each with 3 different camera views) in the scene. So while having a possibility to add multiple cameras to the script (Observer Pattern Style?) to have them all updated by your scripts would be nice, at least the ability to switch off all cam functionalities so people don't have to edit the scripts when they lack the single mainCamera would be the minimum I would expect.

Still looking forward to integrate your package, just wanted to give you Feedback on something you might want to improve for future versions.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2013
  24. chingwa

chingwa

Hi gian-reto alig,

First let me apologize, I completely missed this thread update and didn't notice you responded until this morning.

It's difficult to forsee the types of specific usage different people will require in their projects. The single camera issue you bring up is a great point. At the very least better camera specification should be included, rather than just auto-selecting the mainCamera. This is something I've been changing on my other Asset Store products, so will definitely incorporate it in the next Tatakai update as well.

It would be helpful to know specifically what features you would require. I intend to have a "sceneCamera" attribute on the main Explosion_Module object and all the other components inherit from this. This could be an array of camera objects, so camera functions get applied to all relevant views. But, this gets tricky depending on usage... your split-screen setup for example is because (I assume) you have 2 players with cameras that are in different spatial relationship to each other?

Another 2-camera usage would be Occulus Rift support, but this comes with a completely different set of handling criteria for example.

Anyway, I really appreciate both your purchase and your feedback, If there is any specific issues I can help with or if you have more general needs/wants from this asset don't hesitate to send me a post, either here, in PM, or over on the Tatakai help forum...
    http://tanukidigital.com/forum/index.php?board=4.0

25. HeadClot88

HeadClot88

Hey,

I am looking at buying this asset however - I am kinda worried about documentation...

There is really none for the more advanced features.

I understand that you have a limited amount of time and the price you set is more than generous.

I would suggest putting up a WIKI where people could contribute to. :)

Just my 2 cents.

- HeadClot

26. chingwa

chingwa

Hi HeadClot,
    thanks for the suggestions!

I don't have a wiki, but I do have a forum...
    http://tanukidigital.com/forum/index.php?board=4.0

...however noone has been using it for this asset so it's completely empty. I realize the documentation is a little sparse beyond the setup and basic explosion usage, and this is something I'd like to devote time to eventually. However if you have a question about any aspect of Tatakai just let me know.

27. FisherM

FisherM

hey I just purchased this and have been trying to get the ballistics working within my own system. The documentation is half complete and it has been a while since this was posted. There are also no instructional videos beyond that first one and I am struggling to get the Tatakai system working. Is this project active? could you offer some insight into getting the ballisitics working?

28. FisherM

FisherM

Needs a little more documentation and tutorials. However, I the developer spent a long time customizing and rewriting to help the ballistics system be employed in my game. It took a while but the system works beautifully and Tatakai is a very powerful tool and I'm really pleased to have such a good ballistics system working so well.

29. SuperNewbee

SuperNewbee

Hello. I was thinking of buying this asset to try out with Realistic FPS prefab. I just wanted to know if anyone had managed to integrate this system with RFPS prefab and if they did was it really difficult to do?

Also does this work well with awesome Suimono water asset (ie: will bullet splashes be easy to set up)

thanks