Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

C&C style RTS Community Project - Generals

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Martin-Schultz, Feb 6, 2009.

1. ktrainers

ktrainers

I know this would be helpful to me and I'm sure it would be helpful to alot of other people if your still interested in sharing :)

EmeraldThunder likes this.
  2. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

As this is an active thread, I have moved it out of Collaboration and into Works in Progress as replies in the Collaboration section are hidden.

3. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

4. poboczny

poboczny

Hey hey this is a great project - something I was looking for ! :) I'll use it in my next graphic project !

5. HeadClot88

HeadClot88

Hey, I would not mind chipping in on this :)

This would be an cool community project :)

6. rayan-jiffri

rayan-jiffri

hi there, fairly new to unity . but this is what made me make an account. im currently working on a tank game similar to world of tanks and Tanki Online. sort of an inbetween. anyways, I might have some ways to help out with the logic. I am still elarning java and trying to understand the language.

the point is. I Would Like To Contribute to this project.

7. RackyMac

RackyMac

This is a great start and has helped me understand a lot of code. I would also like to start contributing to this.

8. ust33

ust33

This will definitely be a great learning aid for someone like me with no scripting experience.

9. keithsoulasa

keithsoulasa

Start smaller, this type of game is very complicated .

10. jlhill17

jlhill17

Here are all of the models I made. Most of them are still in .an8 format, so I included a copy of animator so they can be converted to .3ds, .lwo, or .obj for importing into another 3d program like 3ds Max. Some of the tanks have turrets in separate files. This was required for the game I originally made them for.

If anyone has any questions about these files just ask.

Download here:
    https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=907FC950683B6804!1050&authkey=!ACfgdf_mKx8KOuw

You can use them in your projects, but please give me credit!

Last edited: Sep 19, 2012
  11. blitzen

blitzen

Yes, I've been held back by a shader issue for the better part of a year, but finally have solved it with the help of this fine forum. It could use some optimization but it works.

We still need a flocking algorithm to prevent all the tanks from colliding into each other. If noone knows of any package that can do it, or wants to take a stab at it, I might just post the update as-is and let y'all have at it.

12. Muntasir

Muntasir

Hi there
    I am a C# programmer and newbie to Unity. This project looks very interesting and appealing to me (as I am a great fan of CNC). Is there a way to contribute to this project as a programmer?

13. blitzen

blitzen

Yes. See my post previous to yours about a flocking algorithm. What the project needs most badly right now is a clean, efficient way to prevent a group of ten tanks from bumbling into each other when all selected and all told to move to the same spot.

14. blaze

blaze

15. krisnarocks

krisnarocks

I am interested on this project. I will check this project tomorrow. Today (November 4, 2012) I have to many school works. See what I can do.

16. Velo222

Velo222

Hi guys. I was just wondering what the latest "version" of this project is that I can download? And where. Are the links on the very first post still the "latest version"?

17. AlloydGD

AlloydGD

Hi guys! Been following this thread a while and I have to say what has been worked on so far is impressive! I am very interested in the project and would love to take a look at the current code/state of the project within Unity. I am working on a game currently at the minute in c# within unity http://andrewlloydgd.wordpress.com/ (Cheeky plug to my blog) I have experience with JavaScript and C# and have been using unity for a year now. I have experience with texturing, basic 3D modelling, Sound Design, music and id say a good understanding of coding.

I would love to help work on this, and think it has amazing potential. Just a couple of questions really, 1) Is there a latest version or site up where you can grab the builds incrementally like GitHub? 2) Are there any other APIs or plugins that are needed to make the project work?

Great stuff so far! Thanks for sharing the project on here!

18. Shayne Colbert

Shayne Colbert

I may have already programmed exactly what you need there. I started making an RTS game a year ago then ditched the project for a simpler split screen game due to the difficulties of networking in RTS games.

When you select a group of units it assigns each one of them with a vector position relative to the center point of the group. When you tell the group to move it applies each units unique vector position to the point you told the group to move to. So that each unit ends up at a different point. Even programming something like this was taxing. There is no collision detection involved. And I have not written a bit of code to give each unit a group position relative to their starting position when you select them.

However, it does have pathfinding implimented into it. I didn't write the pathfinding. The problem you get though is that if you have large groups of more than 20 units. When the pathfinding calculates a path it gets as close to the edge of objects as possible to make the path shorter. When you have a group of units you are then trying to move a wide object around that path. Hence the units at the edge will go through the barriers.

I did start to program a solution. A probe moves infront of the group on the calculated path and sends rays out perpendicular to the path. If the ray hits something within the distance of half the width of the group then it shifts the waypoint accordingley. This idea broke down when it came to getting a group of units through a small gap. And my map objects having tiny gaps between their colliders that sometimes the rays slipped down.

If you would like to have a play with what I have made then I'll post it on here. I havn't got the time to implement the code into your work but I can answer any questions, if I can remember. I wrote the code a year ago and have since forgotton most of what I learnt. I'm just now starting a new project now which doesn't involve networking. It will be nice seeing my work put to some good use though.

19. gardian06

gardian06

extremely interested in seeing the current build. I was thinking of building a RTS (at least framework), and would love to take a look at the algorithms, and control structure used here.
    can anyone post a link to the current build?

20. RCraig

RCraig

I've been working on an RTS prototype for a few days now and have been battling with flocking/squad-based movement. For a pseudo-squad-based script, try this (graciously provided by Aron Granberg). I use this in conjunction with his A* Pathfinding project to move units/squads around my map.

Code (csharp):
    1. Vector3[] getUnitTargets (Vector3 target, int numUnits, float radius) {
    2.     Vector3[] arr = new Vector3[numUnits];
    4.     for (int i = 0; i < arr.Length; i++)
    5.         arr[i] = target + new Vector3 (Mathf.Cos(i*Mathf.PI*2 / numUnits)*radius, 0, Mathf.Sin(i*Mathf.PI*2 / numUnits)*radius);
    7.     return arr;
    8. }
    It takes in a target (destination) point, the number units to move, and how far apart to space the units. It returns an array of destination points centered around the target point. There is NO collision detection involved and it only works on a 2D plane (not uneven terrain), but this could be a good starting point.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2013
  21. reinecke

reinecke

Hi guys, I'm seeing many people are willing to contribute to this project, which is absolutely great. Its good to see that writing a nice RTS attracts people. I'm absolutely sharing this. I've read the full thread, and the funny thing is, even though we talk about it since >3.5yrs now, I do not see any actual progress on the project (besides some empty google docs and people sending suggestions for units)...
    Does anyone have a current, latest build on this project ?

I'm a Software architect and I'm really interested in contributing to this community project. Even though I'm just starting up with unity, I'd like to offer Project Management and a shared development environment (like subversion with trac for instance), so that people can bring their work together.
    Those people who really are interested in spending some time on this project, please follow up on my post. I'm trying to get a feeling how alive this thread is.
    Thanks

Last edited: Jan 13, 2013
  22. Tobop10

Tobop10

Here's a project which may boost this quite a bit...

http://www.youtube.com/user/ashenkster69

Buildings, unit generation, resources a bit more.

Cheers to Metalstache, you can download an A* project. On the YT channel, check the right hand side for the project or the source code.

Or this link for the project:
    http://tinyurl.com/RTSbinary0001

Playable here:
    http://apps.facebook.com/binaryrts/

*edit* I've found 1 issue so far. There's duplicate scripts, which is kinda confusing. Not so bad though. Just delete the duplicate scripts. If things turn pink, lol you've deleted the wrong ones. Keep the ones in /Resources/...

Last edited: Jan 15, 2013
  23. Pabong

Pabong

Verry good

24. HeadClot88

HeadClot88

I just need to know where I am needed on this project.

It would be helpful to have some sort of Issue tracker in addition to the code being uploaded to a place like Github or BitBucket.

25. brimock

brimock

Good Evening,

I am a programmer interested in contributing to this project. Is it currently set up with any version control? I did not see any links to a current build.

Also, what is the architecture for networking? Has there been an attempt at implementing lock-step?

26. salchicha

salchicha

I haven't touched this project in a while, but work has settled down and I'd like to get back to a fun side project. I created a github page for it:

https://github.com/salsicha/generals

Feel free to make pull requests, especially 3d models (I'm not a 3d artist).

27. OP_toss

OP_toss

The controls for the current build should definitely be more like Starcraft. Left click should NOT move the units, unless you're using a Move command. Just like the game posted by Tobop10. (PS Nice job with that game btw! Looks promising!) This should be obvious, as left clicking is already used for selections. So if you left click with just the slightest movement, the units deselect and don't move.

Not sure how this game's state is now, but the currently playable version's controls are the biggest problem with it IMO.

Just my advice! Good luck!

28. OZAV

OZAV

Great, as for me - it's on, than !
    Here's the IDEA: you guys can email me (every) new build (of anything) you upgraded, on original project by Martin,
    (which is 1.1) Martin's version.
    (I remind you: only in Martin's 1.1 version scrolling works well, and is so good he made it right-click-scroll, and left click select and left click go - that is the only RIGHT way for RTS if you want a GOOD one ... (my congrats, buddy, SO well done),
    SO,
    Please, I suggest ,let's organise this project, as follows:
    -Everyone should work ONLY with original Martin's version 1.1, when adding your own new working stuff/ideas
    -After your idea/feature addition, just - email me the project, with your upgrade in it, and name it with your name, in the project name -I will test it (and I have some real mean powerful computers here) and I will post on this forum the report and email it to Martin, IF it works well, (and will report on this forum about it, anyways, what can be done better, if needed), so: after implementing every good working upgrade like that,
    Martin can keep / build / prepare / test, one MASTER project, that will be for final release for community, so newbies will be able easier to build their own RTS games with Unity, afterwards, having that master project as the starting point. Have no illusions, however: this will be NOT easy at all, even for such large group here, or for him, with us on board, as we are, but - it's bloody worth it !
    Think of all these things the newbies will learn, and later games that will be created ? So, I am In, of course, and have plenty time to do what I just offered here, so email me guys, you can start right now.
    This is a historic moment, so, real heroes: line up , and show what you can do, keep it simple, but working.
    NO, IT'S NOT DEAD - RTS University JUST STARTED, AND thanks to Martin : WITH Unity !
    Congrats, Martin, bud, I guess you're a director of RTS UNI now, he, he ...

And, as for versions 1.2 and 1.3 and "Revival" version, (posted earlier on this forum threads),
    my first REPORT here IS:
    Don't use them, it's all too buggy, and camera dives DOWN in the terrain with right-click-scroll (scroll coasting) FORWARD,
    which is NOT the case in Martin's 1.1 version, where scroll coasting (just as in C&C Generals) works PROPERLY.
    (it will be also nice to see that cross looking cursor, while it's happening, Martin, ?)
    (and that right click scrolling in v.1.1 scrolling doesn't go off the map, if you keep it, but to have boundaries,
    (you know what I mean ? just like in C&C, and any proper RTS game). so maybe re-work your v1.1 with those
    2 fixes, and upload it, now: for community to start adding their own stuff ...
    See ? I already do here what I just promised ...
    AND, FEW THINGS, TO GET YOU STARTED
    http://www.decane.net/external/generals/Generals_Community_1.1.zip (Martin's 1.1 original version, to download)
    ... sooner or later, time will tell ... the time will tell ... (Einstein, C&C video, Red Alert 1)
    ... but, mister president; why have one country, when we can have the entire world ? ... (Yuri, C&C video, Yuri's Revenge)

Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
  29. GOLDY00

GOLDY00

hey man looking good im doing a rts game atm my self good ideas

30. Velo222

Velo222

Would you know how to implement lock-step brimock, if that were the case? I'm working on an rts game right now too, and multiplayer given Unity's physics and math seems a daunting task if you're wanting to implement lock-step, or have the game be deterministic. Just wondering if you, yourself, had the knowledge on how to do this?

31. Coldfusionstorm

Coldfusionstorm

If anyone is still up for this i will be up for co-ordinating the different stuff's in here. i myself would love to see this get some love, Love the Beta martin made, it has such solid groundwork done.(Scrooling, Mesh detection(units can hit building wich is in the way).

32. Grl-Kiko

Grl-Kiko

Just launched a project on Assembly to turn this into a unique and complete game. If your interested in joining this project, please check it out at https://assembly.com/tanks-commander

Looking forward to seeing you there.

33. Trixxy

Trixxy

Hi everybody, I have just read up on this and wow it's exactly what iv'e been looking at an rts project of my own however there seems to be quite a gathering of skill sets here. My take on it is having the RTS gaame switchable to fps and 3rdps mode. but RTS part first. I have been making 3d assets for my project mainly structures and units I have included some screenshots below let me know if these interest u guys if so I think we can all work together and really take this further, maybe even to the point of Kickstarter......

P.S. To those of you who love cnc as most of u know C&C Generals 2 was cancelled..... probably the biggest mistake EA have ever made..... NHA - Plasma Tank - New Texture [ Stage 4 ].jpg NHA - Power Plant - New Custom Textures.jpg

34. OZAV

OZAV

Trixxy: How is it going with your project today ? (Aug 2015) Let me know.

35. panos12

panos12

Is there any updated version wherever I try to open it I have purple textures and a lot of errrors

36. Trixxy

Trixxy

Hi, Not a great deal of update on my project. I have been working on some destroyed city scenes and trying to do some code modification as finding some limitations with keeping it grid based. Looking at rebuilding the framework to all expanded use of the terrain by using nav meshes to allow for bridges and un-even terrain. Really need a c# coder to work with as my skills are some what limited with c#. If anybody is interested in helping or getting involved properly then pm me or email me here djassassinhdg(@)googlemail.com

37. KingArbinV

KingArbinV

Is there any devs still interested in creating a project based on command and conquer? I am more of a model artist, but I had an idea to do one based on Red Alert instead, mostly because I loved the Tesla coils/Tanks. Anyway I was thinking of creating something like this, I have most of the concept worked out already, and how the game should play, everything but a storyline. Just looking for a few programmers willing to help out, and other types of devs, sound, animation, more model artists. Anyway here is the bottom half of a tank I'm designing which can be reused for most tank types except the Goliaths, will have to design a more massive body for it. This still needs alot of little details done to it, but I try to take pride in my models. Hope someone is interested in this as it would be an ideal mmorts game for multiple consoles, social platforms, mobile devices, and pc/linux/mac.. The idea is to use as much of the concept of C&C but make it our own.

38. Tidusx99

Tidusx99

I have been actively developing a "war-based" RTS since October and have been looking for a Modeler for quite some time to add the finishing touches on some missing models and rigging/animating the models that I do have done at the moment.

The main goal of it was to mimic Command & Conquer but give Starcraft 2 a run for its money.

I have had the GDD, Business Plan, Project Mgmt Plan, Risk/Issue log and concept art done for awhile now. Have a team of 2 programmers and a full-time artist working on it.

If you're interested shoot me a Skype add (Tidusx99) or a PM and we can talk more and get you some more information.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2016
    KingArbinV likes this.
  39. Ehsan_74

Ehsan_74

Hi Guys
    I want to work on this project
    Because i like c&c
    I'm programming in unity for awhile.
    Working with C# & java in unity and i like working on modeling with maya and ...
    I like to work together on this project C&C In Unity
    My email is esm.ehsanmanesh@ymail.com
    Have a good time:)

EmeraldThunder likes this.
  40. EmeraldThunder

EmeraldThunder

I love it....please make Android version of C&C Generals....please

if you want it to be like the original game...you can use its models

using "Final BIG" u can extract models, textures, sounds....etc.

You should have C&C GZH installed to use its "BIG" files like W3DZH, TexturesZH...then changing their formats so they can be used in Unity 3D

41. Phoryan2

Phoryan2