Search Unity

After Reset RPG [WIP]

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Mr-Nixon, Mar 30, 2013.

1. squared55

squared55

Looks pretty good! I can genuenly say that this is the first time I've ever actually read and cared about lore posted about an unreleased game.

But... about that power armor. There's a fine line between drawing inspiration from the Cerberus Troopers, and completely ripping them off.

2. Mr-Nixon

Mr-Nixon

Thanks man.
    About the armor: inspired but no ripped: http://www.indiedb.com/games/after-reset/news/power-armor-ugsoc-released

3. Mr-Nixon

Mr-Nixon

Good evening, my fellow followers.

Yesterday we put After Reset RPG on Greenlight: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=188581648

And in 12 hours we've got 4k unique views with 2k "yes" votes. Vote us more and thank you all for such hearty welcome!

In this connection, let me present our Backstory movie: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kck2FcXa-qQ

And several of new in-game screenshots with classical top-down view (Fallout 1/2/T like) and behind-shoulders view (Knights of Old Republic 1/2 like):

Frankly, I was surprised that a lot of people on Greenlight didn’t believe that or screenshots was real in-game rendered... so catch their HD1080 full-screen versions:
    - http://www.afterreset.com/ARMEDIA/Screenshots/20HD.png
    - http://www.afterreset.com/ARMEDIA/Screenshots/21HD.png
    - http://www.afterreset.com/ARMEDIA/Screenshots/22HD.png
    - http://www.afterreset.com/ARMEDIA/Screenshots/23HD.png
    - http://www.afterreset.com/ARMEDIA/Screenshots/24HD.png
    - http://www.afterreset.com/ARMEDIA/Screenshots/25HD.png
    - http://www.afterreset.com/ARMEDIA/Screenshots/26HD.png
    - http://www.afterreset.com/ARMEDIA/Screenshots/27HD.png
    - http://www.afterreset.com/ARMEDIA/Screenshots/28HD.png
    - http://www.afterreset.com/ARMEDIA/Screenshots/29HD.png

Thank you for your trust and beliefs in our project. I pledge to you tonight that as its creator I shall meet this responsibility with all of the strength and wisdom I can command in accordance with your hopes, mindful of your concerns, sustained by your prayers.

Thank you and goodnight.

balaam likes this.
  4. virror

virror

They are all the same : p
    But that one looks awesome though : D

5. eskovas

eskovas

This looks amazing and very professional. It's probably one of the most promising games made with Unity.
    Love the story details, concepts and quality of the assets and environments,
    Going to keep an eye on this, you have my support :)

I know it's maybe too early, but any chance we will get to see some gameplay video anytime soon?

6. Mr-Nixon

Mr-Nixon

Yap. In our Kickstarter video in a couple weeks.

7. Mr-Nixon

Mr-Nixon

AFTER RESET RPG HAS BEEN GREENLIT

Guys,

I come before you tonight with the great news: today we've been greenlit. It took us 5 days to get selected by Steam. As you can see from our statistics we showed the best dynamics ever.

I believe we set Greenlight record because of your interest, your support and your votes. Thank you!

See you on Kickstarter on Monday with atmospheric gameplay video. And regardless of what happens, I am going to continue this fight. Let’s make this game happen already!

My INTERVIEW for Voice of Wasteland: http://www.afterreset.com/forum/showthread.php?t=74

8. Mr-Nixon

Mr-Nixon

9. landon912

landon912

Amazing! Great Job.

10. login4donald

login4donald

Look good and nice progress.

11. iWoundPwn

iWoundPwn

Amazing just wow I have seen very good projects with Unity but this just exceeds what I thought possible with the engine the story the concept art and everything else is amazing. Nice work! One day hopefully I will have the motivation to create something with similar quality!

12. Mr-Nixon

Mr-Nixon

Thank you people! May the force be with us )

13. Mr-Nixon

Mr-Nixon

14. Mr-Nixon

Mr-Nixon

THE FALL OF GYES

Hi guys! Today’s update is devoted to Atmosphere of the After Reset setting.

But at first let me share fresh good news by tradition:

• Since we announced direct pledges people have been backing directly $1,5k per day. So we are in business. We are going to have some rest and continue our work on prologue. Thus, I assume it will take 4-6 month to complete the prologue part and put it on Steam EA.

• We have finally complete STORE page on our website, where you can make your direct pledges and get your Instant Access to the current tech build of the game.

• We successfully got into the top 100 of the Indie of the Year Awards by IndieDB. So now we need you to click on "Vote for that game of the top 100" to make us win the award. Please, do it :)

• 'The Fall of Gyes' will become a separate realistic art novel as a collaborative project with Adam Burn by initiating a separate Kickstarter art project in February 2014.

THE FALL OF GYES

So as you know from our KS campaign we were desperately indented to make that art novel as the prequel for the main game. Unfortunately we were not successfully founded but we find another way to make this art novel a reality. We are going to put it on Kickstarter as a separate art project in February 2014.

Several month ago when I searched the Internet for the new AAA artist for the Fall of Gyes, I’ve occasionally encountered that art project called Telicos Protocol.

That pro comic was painted by Adam Burn. You know the high standard of everything we keep in working of After Reset. And I studied his portfolio in detail - his experience in working on cinematic high quality comic and his vision of the future technological appearance of humanity is pretty close to my own. You can see that by yourself from the arts of him we selected to put here in the news. I am pretty sure many of you will feel the United Governments and the Past Age on them :)

So I contacted Adam about two weeks ago and we agreed to collaborate on this art novel to make it an awesome reality.

I always thought to make the Fall of Gyes as the prequel for the After Reset RPG in form of adult comic or art novel with cinematic quality and interesting story in the best traditions of Ridley Scott's classic. Like the Thing or Aliens due to sci-fi genre of After Reset and claustrophobic atmosphere of the bunker where no one knows exactly what is happening and who/what the enemy is.

So what about the story? With the main characters you will discover the story of one of the companions from the original game and find out what happened in the bunker where players begin their journey in AR RPG. It is supposed to be a story of a young intern who arrives to the outpost of the United Governments for the last year of practice for Science Corps. But someone sabotages operations in the bunker... and suddenly some S*** starts happening. There you can expect something like the Thing of Ridley Scott's classic as I mentioned.

During the narration of the novel readers will discover and meet more of common life of citizens of the United Governments as well.

How that will look like? It can be of any size depends on our founding results but we are going to focus on 32 pages of classic 17x26cm for printed version and 6:9 for digital format as our basic goal.

Speaking of the goal, it will be pretty affordable even now: $12,5k only.

Regarding our negotiations with Adam, it will take us 2-3 months to finish the novel after the March of 2014. So it should be done right before our prologue of the game is done for STEAM Early Access.

So, I hope you will like it!

Stay tuned and don't forget to back us directly via the Store :)

15. TheRealFuzz

TheRealFuzz

Looks great but I swear that assault rifle is from Halo.

16. Mr-Nixon

Mr-Nixon

Hey there!

Today we have massive game Update dedicated to game mechanics of After Reset RPG. It is about character's Skills system. Enjoy your stay with us and don't forget to vote us on Indie of the Year and back us directly on our website :)

SKILLS

A skill is a character's talent that he or she acquires and improves through training. Each skill represents a different field of expertise. As a character advances in level, he or she gets better at using some or all of her skills.

An amount of skill points are gained at 1st level depends on the Species of the character. Skills can be improved by reading specific books, completing quests within the game, or equipping special objects with relevant skill bonuses. But in general, skill levels can be increased by allocating skill points earned from gaining levels. These points can be used to increase the rank of any skill.

However, tagged skills are more easily understood if they were. Those tagged skills are selected during character creation process and their amount is determined by character race. While tagged skills provide 1 skill rank for each skill point invested, normal skills are more expensive to represent the difficulty of learning requiring 2 skill points invested per 1 skill rank.

SACPIC stats (Strength, Agility, etc.) modify skills with a considerable bonus. The game keeps track of this bonus throughout the game, in real-time. Any changes to stats during the game add to or subtract from this modifier.

USING SKILLS:

A skill check is a check relating to use of a skill. The basic skill check = d20 + current skill rank. Additional skill modifiers may be applicable (i.e. current skill rank = base skill rank + stat modifier + special feats modifiers + special items modifiers + etc.)

The check works just like an attack roll or a saving throw - the higher the roll, the better. Either you're trying to match or exceed a certain difficulty class (DC), or you’re trying to beat another character's check result, i.e., an opposed skill check.

For example: to sneak quietly past a raider, a scavenger needs to beat the raider's Listen and Search (if active) checks results with her own Hide check.

Most of skill checks are made on the background but several active skills that provide abilities have limited amount of use per day. To restore those manually activated abilities character must rest. The basic number of manual activation per day for tagged skills is equal to 4 at 1st level and it raises +1 each 3 levels (3, 6, 9, 12, 15, 18). For normal skills it is 2 at 1st level and it raises +1 each 4 levels (4, 8, 12, 16, 20).  

COMBAT SKILLS:

MELEE WEAPONS
    The Melee Weapon skill determines a character’s efficiency of using non-ranged weapons in hand-to-hand or melee combat - knives, sledgehammers, spears, clubs, unarmed and so on.
    Modifying Ability: Agility.
    Requires Feats: Melee Weapons Proficiency.
    Check: The character receives +1 bonus to Critical Hit Effects Roll and +1 bonus to Attack Roll for every ten ranks in the skill. The character also receives +1 bonus to Critical Miss Effects Roll for every five ranks in the skill.
    Use: Passive.
    Special: See Critical Hit/Miss Effects Rolls for more info.

THROWING WEAPONS
    The Throwing Weapon skill determines a character’s efficiency of using muscle-propelled ranged weapons, such as throwing knives, stones, bows and so on. Modifying Ability: Agility.
    Requires Feats: Throwing Weapons Proficiency.
    Check: The character receives +1 bonus to Critical Hit Effects Roll and +1 bonus to Attack Roll for every ten ranks in the skill. The character also receives +1 bonus Critical Miss Effects Roll for every five ranks in the skill.

FIREARMS WEAPONS
    The Firearms Weapon skill determines a character’s efficiency of using weapons that are barreled weapons that launch one or more projectiles often defined by the action of an explosive.
    Modifying Ability: Perception.
    Requires Feats: Firearms Weapons Proficiency.
    Check: The character receives +1 bonus to Critical Hit Effects Roll and +1 bonus to Attack Roll for every ten ranks in the skill. The character also receives +1 bonus to Critical Miss Effects Roll for every five ranks in the skill.

ENERGY WEAPONS
    The Energy Weapons skill determines a character’s efficiency of using weapons that emit energy in an aimed direction without the means of a projectile. They transfer energy to a target for a desired effect.
    Modifying Ability: Intelligence.
    Requires Feats: Energy Weapons Proficiency.

FIELD WEAPONS
    The Field Weapons skill determines a character’s efficiency of using weapons based on aliens' technologies and on Higgs Field Technology. Field Weapons are very rare in the After Reset RPG.
    Requires Feats: Field Weapons Proficiency.

ACTIVATED SKILLS:

FIRST AID
    The First Aid skill is a common healing skill used to heal small cuts, abrasions and other minor body damage.
    Requires Feats: None.
    Check: DC for successful use is 20. The amount of Hit Points restored by successful use of the skill is 5% of the total damage + 1% per each First Aid skill point.
    Use: Active.
    Special: None.

LOCKPICK
    The Lockpick skill allows the character to enter locked rooms and open locked containers. Without it you might only be able to smash them. But in that case every item within containers has 90% of chance to be destroyed.
    Check: When an attempt to pick a lock is made, it is checked against a set DC dependent on the difficulty of the lock. Picklock Tools can be used to increase the chances of success when picking a lock.
    Special: This skill is not used for hacking electronic devices.

TRAPS
    This skill helps you to use trap kits to set traps that are visible for you and your allies but may prove deadly for your foes. The same skill allows you to attempt to disable dangerous devices such as traps as well.
    Check: DC for setting trap or disabling it is dependent on how dangerous the trap is. When you use this skill and the skill check fails critically or by 10 or higher, you trigger the trap. Moreover, only characters with Guerrilla Warfare feat can set or disable traps with DCs of 20 and above.
    Special: See Traps for more info on traps DCs.

STEAL
    The Steal skill allows a character to pick the pocket of other people to make things of others your own.
    Requires Feats: Stealing Proficiency.
    Check: There are two parts to successfully steal something from someone. First, item must be acquired, and then the targeted creature must not notice the theft. Stealing the item is a simple skill test against the target's DC. The base DC for a neutral or friendly creature is 25, and 35 for a hostile creature. Then targeted creature makes an opposed Spot check against the character's Steal check. Hostile creatures have a +10 bonus to their Spot checks in this test. And characters in Spot Mode gains +5 to their DC for Spot checks against stealing. If the targeted creature succeeds at this opposed check, then the target has detected the theft attempt. A target person of stealing will be informed that the character has attempted to pickpocket him. If the character is successful at both checks, then he steals the item without being detected.

SCIENCE
    This skill includes a variety of high-technology skills, such as computers, biology, physics, geology, etc. Due to that it looks useful for operating or hacking computers and electronic devices. As well as for crafting and using high tech gadgets.
    Check: When an attempt to hack is made, it is checked against a set DC dependant on the difficulty of the device. Hacker's Tools can be used to increase the chances of success when picking an electronic lock.
    Special: This skill is not used for lock picking non-electronic devices.

REPAIR
    The Repair skill is used for fixing of broken weapons, equipment, machinery and electronics.
    Check: When an attempt to repair is made, it is checked against a set DC dependent on the difficulty of the broken weapon or object. Repair Kits can be used to increase the chances of success when repairing a mechanical or electronic device.

SELECTED MODES SKILLS:

STEALTH
    The Steals skill is used to sink into the shadows and remain unnoticed. With successful checks, you won’t be located.
    Check: Your Stealth check is opposed by the Spot check of anyone in Spot Mode and might see you (except your companions) every round. You activate the use of your Stealth skill by going into Stealth Mode. You move at 50% of your speed while in Stealth Mode. If anyone (except your companions) is observing you, even casually, you can’t go into Stealth. When engaging random encounter from the Global Map you are automatically go into Stealth Mode if able.
    Use: Selected (Stealth Mode).
    Special: When you are out of Base Field of View of anyone who might see you (except your companions) you are getting +5 to your Stealth checks.

SPOT
    The Spot skill lets a character discern some small detail or irregularity through active effort, such as secret doors, traps, hidden compartments and other. This skill is used to spot stealthed characters as well.
    Check: Your Spot check is opposed by DC of the hidden object, trap or the Stealth check of anyone who is in Stealth mode and might be seen by you (except your companions) every round. You activate the use of your Spot skill by going into Spot Mode. You move at 80% of your speed while in Spot Mode. Spot checks for traps are made against a DC of the setter's Trap skill.
    Use: Selected (Spot Mode).
    Special: Spot skill checks are also applied passively when are made against Steal skill checks. See Steal skill for more info.

PASSIVE SKILLS:

DOCTOR
    The Doctor skill allows the character to heal major wounds and crippled limbs with special medical equipment. As well as it helps to identify negative effects on character by diagnosing them.
    Check: Doctor checks take place when using a medical kit. To identify negative effect character must has enough Doctor skill points. To remove a poison, disease or radiation the user of the proper medical kit must make a successful skill check against the DC of the affliction. In addition that skill can restore character's Hit Points. The amount of Hit Points that can be healed is equal to the modified skill roll. All medical kits can be used only out of combat.
    Special: See Negative Effects for more info on Doctor checks DCs.

OUTDOORSMAN
    This skill represents practical knowledge of the living and traveling through the post-apocalyptic world of After Reset. This includes knowledge of plants, animals and places.
    Modifying Ability: Constitution.
    Check: This skill decreases water consumption, increases the traveling speed on the Global Map and affect chance to avoid encounters. During the traveling through the Global Map the character consumes 1lb of water less per day for every ten ranks in the skill (but that consumption can't be lower than 3lb per day). The character can perform Search for Water action while on Global Map to resupply water a little by initiating Outdoorsman check. In that case the opposite DC is equal to 20 modified by the terrain type. The amount of resupply depends on terrain type as well. Basic traveling speed is 37 miles per day on foot. The final traveling speed depends on terrain type and Outdoorsman bonus. The character receives +5% bonus to speed on the Global Map for every five ranks in the skill. The DC for notice encounter or/and Evade them determines by the encounter itself.
    Special: See Global Map for more info on using Outdoorsman skill.

TUMBLE
    The Tumble skill determines the ability to dive, evade, roll, somersault, flip, and so on.
    Check: Tumbling past opponents without prompting an Attack of Opportunity is a check against DC of 25. But this doesn't make a character with a modified tumble skill of 24+ immune to Attacks of Opportunity from moving because Critical Hits can still be applied. The character also receives +1 dodge bonus to AC for every ten ranks in the skill.
    Special: See Attacks of Opportunity for more info on using Tumble skill.

SOCIAL SKILLS:

EXPERTISE
    The Expertise skill allows a character to identify unknown items and can represent his/her general knowledge learned.
    Check: Expertise check is a roll against an unidentified item's DC to determine special properties that the item may possess. This check roll could be preformed 3 times per item. No critical failure/success can be applied. Also this skill may be used in conversation to express knowledge and gain an advantage in the conversation.

SPEECH
    The Speech skill represents ability to communicate with other persons by convincing others that your position is correct. The ability also reflects the ability to lie and not get caught.
    Modifying Ability: Charisma.
    Check: The player may use Speech skill to turn situations to their advantage during conversations. The check is made against a set DC depends on the situation or/and sophistication of the speech.

TRADE
    The Trade skill reflects the ability to get better prices for items you sell, and lower prices for items you buy.
    Modifying Ability: Charisma.
    Check: There are two parts to successfully use a Trade skill. First you need to pass roll test of your Trade skill against the skill of the people you are trading with. If succeed, the character receives +1% bonus to the prices for items he/she sells and -1% of the items he/she buys for every differential Trade skill point between you and the people you are trading with. Thus, you need to be more skilled in Trading than your target to successfully perform that action.

You liked it, did you?
    Then stay tuned and don't forget to vote us and back us directly :)

balaam likes this.
  17. IcHoRELiTE

IcHoRELiTE

Can't wait for this.

18. BrUnO-XaVIeR

BrUnO-XaVIeR

Amazing concept art!

19. Mr-Nixon

Mr-Nixon

CHARACTER APPEARANCE
    Greetings, our dear followers!

The team's working hard and we're making good progress on the prologue for Steam Early Access (SEA). Here's the latest news!

1. The community continues to show us their support via direct backing, and we've raised $10,045 to date from 250 people.

2. We've also made significant progress on final stage of the character creation process (Appearance), and we can confirm that you'll be able to choose between male and female playable characters in the STEAM Early Access version.

3. During the Appearance stage you'll be able to adjust a select number of cosmetic personal options, such as the name, height, girth, and an optional background (up to 1024 characters). By the game's release you'll also be able to customize the head (by more than 20 variants), body type (by 3 variant), ethnicity, and eye color of your characters, but the STEAM Early Access version will be limited to normal (mesomorph) body type, blue-eyes, and Caucasian skin tone.

Please note that all of these options are purely cosmetic, and they do not affect your character's stats or perks.

Thanks to those who pledged for the Personal Character Appearance option, you will also be able to choose personal named head preset of those backers.

4. We've got some extra exclusive screenshots of our main characters on the co-founders exclusive subforum, for those who pledged $35 or more. They include:
    - Full HD screenshots of default male character;
    - Full HD screenshots of default female character;
    - Full HD screenshots of default female character [NUDE] :)
    Be sure to check them out!

That's all for today. More content is coming.

Thanks for your support, guys. Stay tuned!

Back us via PayPal.
    Like us on Facebook.
    Add us on Steam Greenlight.
    Join After Reset™ RPG official website.

20. MassoftGames

MassoftGames

Realy nice work, its going to be a serious unity project If you succeed.

21. Tesla-Coil

Tesla-Coil

I really love this kind of projects, looks really good so far.

Sometimes i am amazed how long such game development can go unnoticed by my eyes...
    Found it trough someone liking the page on facebook.

Your video from the background story is amazing work and some things in the storyline are similar to the project i participate in.

See the games going to be similar also on some points with game-play but it is clear they going to be from different player perspectives.

Good luck on future development for all that work on After Reset™

22. Mr-Nixon

Mr-Nixon

Thank you, guys.

23. Mr-Nixon

Mr-Nixon

MEET THE COMPANIONS: DERRICK HAWK

Hello people,

As previously mentioned, we're going to spend a lot of time on the thorough development of companions, each with their own unique personality, goals, moral principles, background, and plot twists. Our goal is to make them as real as possible, and in this update we're going to introduce you one of them: Derrick Hawk.

We're also going to give each companion a unique AI, and while you'll still be able to 'control' them (meaning you can click on them and give them an order, such as move here, shoot this target, etc.), whether they choose to follow your orders is another matter entirely.

Each companion will decide their actions based on a number of factors, such as trust, loyalty, fear, etc., and make a decision as to whether or not they want to cover you, heal you, die for you or betray you. The player's stats are also taken into account here, where certain skills and special abilities can allow you to influence the way your companions think both in dialogue and in combat, and all these elements will be taken into account.

Derrick Hawk, age 42, is a solitary man who lives on a secluded ranch with his daughter and father-in-law. He always wears a hand-made bracelet, engraved with the name 'April,' and occasionally knows how to wear a strange exoskeleton armored suits from the Past Age. A master of blending in, his past is a mystery to the locals of Deadstone, and most steer clear of him.

So, you've seen our concepts and you've heard a little bit about him, but in spite of further spoiling the story we'd like to give you a freedom of guesses. What's strange and interesting about him to you? How do you think he wound up in Deadstone? What is his story? His motives and his alignment? Feel free to post your thoughts and guesses here on the After Reset RPG forum: http://www.afterreset.com/forum/showthread.php?p=255#post255.

Thanks for backing, and stay tuned!

24. Mr-Nixon

Mr-Nixon

Hello, fellows!

While we’re still working hard on the game (as I promised in 15th Update), I’d like bring to your attention our new sub project, a graphic-novel titled The Fall of Gyes: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/blackcloudstudios/after-reset-the-fall-of-gyes

The art for the graphic novel will be done in collaboration with Adam Burn (the artist of Telicos Protocol graphic novel) and released by Summer 2014 in conjunction with our Steam Early Access prologue, and will tell the story of a young intern trapped in a bunker filled with dangerous creatures. It’ll give you a first-hand look at the backstory of the game’s starting location, and you’ll also meet one of the companions from the game.

We need to collect only $12,5k to launch this project, and our stretch goals include additional issues that will be devoted to other companions for the game’s protagonist.

We hope that you’ll join us and support this project, and please forward it to your friends on your preferred social media!

Much obliged for your consideration. Stay tuned!

Last edited: Feb 19, 2014
  25. thienhaflash

thienhaflash

The graphics looks really good, keep it up man :)

26. Mr-Nixon

Mr-Nixon

FIRST STEPS

Hello, friends!

This is the first news update since we launched our KS campaign for the graphic novel The Fall of Gyes, which takes place in the game's starting location, and gives you a front-row seat to the events that led to its destruction. Over the course of the next few months we'll be releasing a steady stream of information about both products as we near our Steam Early Access release.

For those potential supporters who are still on the fence, I'd like to introduce you to our work standards over the next few updates and, hopefully, persuade you to back us. For those who have already backed us, you have our heartfelt gratitude, and I’m sure you already know how picky I am when it comes to the quality of our products. After seeing our sneak-peeks and promos, my goal is to have all of you drooling!

So first, I'd like to share the Fall of Gyes main theme (lossless quality will be included for backers with SPECIAL FACILITY and higher tiers as the part of the OST): http://www.afterreset.com/ARMEDIA/PR/TheFallofGyes-maintheme.zip

We've also got a new desktop background with the cover art for The Fall of Gyes, available in full HD: http://www.afterreset.com/ARMEDIA/PR/thefallofgyes1080.zip

To briefly explain the cover, this is protagonist of the graphic novel dressed in the United Governments' NBC Suit (which stands for Nuclear, Biological, Chemical, also known as the "Labrat"), and you can see Angelina’s concept of it here:

It’s a portable and self-contained full-body unit filled with all manner of protection against hazardous materials, and includes a breathing apparatus (SCBA) for long-term use.

In anticipation of your questions: Yes, you will be able to wear it in the game, and it will be available by our Steam Early Access release.

All of us at Black Cloud Studios really appreciate the support of our backers, and in only two days time we’ve gathered 30% of our funding goal for the novel, and we haven’t even sent out a press release yet! Your belief and support fuels our passion!

See you soon, and stay tuned for more!

27. Wolftigerstudios

Wolftigerstudios

Finally a AAA unity game! So Cool!

28. Mr-Nixon

Mr-Nixon

Hello, backers!

Today's update is all about the UG Bunker N3-H1: 'Gyes' where the events of the graphic novel and the begging of the game both take place.

Gyes is a pretty new underground outpost (of the United Governments), built by Ishima Engineering (one of the UG's largest corporate contractors) to control operations via The Great Desert (ex Nevada State) and The State of Eagle (ex California State).

We've already finished pre-modeling three large areas where the story will take place. We're very close to finishing the concept design for the interior objects, and here are a few shots to show you what kind of quality we're talking about:

The bunker contains three main areas with different access levels, beginning with green, for Ground Level:

Then yellow, for Science Facility:

And finally white, for Special Facility:

Each area also contains several points of interest or objects with special properties or plot relevance, which we're calling 'wow-objects,' and here's a few examples:

Commander Cell:

Armory:

Barracks:

Conference Hall:

Decontamination Room:

Departure Area:

Dining Room:

ECLCC (Environmental Control and Life Support System):

Labs:

Medical Quarters:

Operations Room:

Quanton Hub:

Reactor:

Storage:

Finally, we've also got a new OST track "Cutting Edge Technologies" for the bunker, as well as our Kickstarter promos, and you can download it free: http://www.afterreset.com/ARMEDIA/Media/TFOG-cuttingedgetechnologies.zip

Lots happening this month! Stay tuned for more!

balaam likes this.
  29. Mr-Nixon

Mr-Nixon

Hi guys,

In today's news we're going to talk briefly about the Biomass creatures that you'll face in the summer prologue for Steam Early Access. It's important to understand that these creatures are not common zombies, mutants or zergs.

They're still dangerous, primarily due to their tendency to devour proteins, but the real threat or key feature of the Biomass is its ability to rapidly evolve in a harmful environment. For example, if you inflict damage on a Doppelganger it will begin to adapt, and that will make it even weaker during that process, but if you don't finish it off before its adaptation is completed - you'll find yourself in a real trouble. I'm sure, due to the chaotic and unpredictable results of their adaptive process, you'll find those creatures consistently interesting to fight, and our goal is to make them even more challenging than the necromorphs from Dead Space.

However, these creatures are incapable of infecting others, and as with other prion infectious agents, the only possible way to contract the Biomass infection from them is by consuming them. Definitely not recommended!

And please, don't worry about spoilers in The Fall of Gyes graphic novel. The protagonist will encounter a different kind of Biomass, namely the much more dangerous form - the microscopic origin sample. But to find out how to survive it, well… you’ll have to back our Kickstarter!

Also, enjoy listening to the new track "Madness" from The Fall of Gyes OST: www.afterreset.com/ARMEDIA/PR/TFOG-Madness.zip

And check out the beautiful concept art of our Biomass creatures made by one of our the finest concept artists - Angelina Stroganova:

Colosus:

Centaur:

Doppelganger Male:

Doppelganger Female:

Doppelganger Cat:

Phasmidas:

Phasmidas:

There's also got a backer tier update: we've added a new feature to the "Exclusive One" $500 tier, where we'll paint your likeness onto one of the background characters in the graphic novel, in addition to the poster and all the other rewards. Thanks to Mr. Khan for the idea!

On a final note, I want to mention the talented, yet humble, Indie developers Mark Morgan and Paul Jenkins, whose professional etiquette and awesome work will inspire generations to come. Paul, who has worked on The Darkness, Spawn, Batman, TMNT, and Hellblazer, has recently launched his own project on Kickstarter called: Fairy Quest 2: Outcasts. I strongly encourage you to check it out, and support it!

"In recent years, I have watched, helpless, as editors made pointless and destructive changes to scripts and artwork that they had previously left alone. It bugs me that the creators were a primary focus when the mainstream publishers needed them, and now that the corporations are driving the boat, creative decisions are being made once again by shareholders…"
    – Paul Jenkins

Stay safe from the Biomass, and stay tuned for more!

30. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

So nice....!! Guys, you're totally nailing it! At last games are being made by actual artists.... prepare for huge success!!

31. Mr-Nixon

Mr-Nixon

Thanks! But I'm very skeptical about "huge financial success" :) E.g. there are a lot of disappointments and negative feedbacks on Internet and on Steam about WasteLand 2, but people backed them more than $2mln (and more than $3mln sales on SEA). We got a lot of "wow its so cool" but only few backed us $10k+ in total... So, we don't care about financial success - we're just making the game we want to play and proud for :)

32. zenGarden

zenGarden

I seen lot of indie games beeing successfull caus the makers just had lot of fun making it and playing it, tunning it , and making it with love, and they where surprised to see so much people super attracted by their game when they begun to talk about it over some sites.
    Yes, have fun making it and playing it in first place :)

I hope to see real gameplay one day.

33. Mr-Nixon

Mr-Nixon

SEA this Summer :)

34. Mr-Nixon

Mr-Nixon

Hi, guys!

Today we're introducing another companion to you, who will appear in the graphic novel as well as the game's prologue. Meet Ivy:

Who, or what, is Ivy?

In the graphic novel, you'll first see Ivy in the holo advertisements for Chimera Industries' cosmetic products. Her real name is Jillian Schiller, and she is the daughter of Chimera's vice president, who controls one of the largest corporations in the United Government's Economic Corps. She is the face of 'Regenspan,' an innovative anti-aging cosmetic series, and Chimera's flagship product. She's 27, but thanks to her father's welfare and extensive use of the drug, she doesn't look a day over 17.

CHIMERA INDUSTRIES

Slogan: "Biotic solutions for better life."

Chimera has products and research in various biotechnological fields including: cosmetics, pharmaceuticals, medical equipment, and military programs that use or exploit biotechnology.

In the beginning of the game, it is Ivy who wakes you up by repeating: "Wake up, Commander." If your character has low intellect, Ivy merely seems like a mystical spirit or a 'voice in your head,' until the end of the game. If you've got enough intellect, then you'll realize that Ivy is actually a virtual intelligence, the communicative operational system for your CORE-7 implant. This virtual intelligence is a kind of enhanced reality interface that acts as a mediator between the Quanton computer and the Commander's (player's) consciousness. However, that connection has been damaged, and until you fix it you'll be able to find another purpose for Ivy, or simply switch her off. It's all up to you!

Why her name is Ivy?

You'll be able to ask your VI that very question during your play through, though some of you might be able to guess the answer by studying Greek mythology.

Why will you see Ivy as Jillian Milton from Chimera Industries?

You'll be able to find out during your exploration of the game world, and your subconscious will change her projected model during your travels.

Ivy seems to be pretty independent. How is it she's an AI?

Actually, Ivy is not an Artificial Intelligence, nor is she completely independent. In some ways she's a part of you, and your CORE-7 implant is a product of synthetic biology that uses your own brain as hardware. DnD fans would probably regard her as a familiar, and if that's just not your thing - you can always turn her off.

By tradition, we’ve got exclusive full HD desktop wallpaper of the Chimera Industries as well as full HD concept arts of Ivy, available for our graphic novel backers and for our Co-founders only. However, you can still enjoy the Chimera Industries musical theme from The Fall of Gyes OST: http://www.afterreset.com/ARMEDIA/PR/TFOG-chimeraindustries.zip

If you liked this update, please spread the word on your favorite social media! We still need to raise $4k during the next week and a half on Kickstarter to make all you've just read a reality! Spread the news! Word of mouth works.

Much obliged for your support, guys. And stay tuned!

35. Mr-Nixon

Mr-Nixon

Hello, followers!

We're entering the last days of our Kickstarter campaign for The Fall of Gyes graphic novel, and we need less than $3k to complete our funding! So let’s stay focused.

I'd also like to mention several true Indie supporters who helped us to get to where we are now:

- Christopher Bischoff - who successfully funded STASIS, his video game project (and one of my favorite Indie developers).

- Ed and Mike - who successfully funded the Fist of Justice comics project (there are only few hours left to join the ranks of their supporters).

- Proven Lands - their science-fiction sandbox survival game looks cool (fell free to vote for them on Steam).

We’ve also received many replies from other true Indie projects that share our passion. Three authors offered to support us by pledging $1k each if we make $1k pledge for them along with a highly detailed 3d sculpt as an addition to our $500 pledge. We now have a limited pledge of $1k, which includes the Exclusive One tier rewards plus the highly detailed 3d sculpt of the protagonist from The Fall of Gyes graphic novel!

And as a final tidbit, here are the concepts of the last character you will meet in the graphic novel and in the game: Keren Goston, age 24, an ECLCC engineer from Ishima Engineering, who frequently wears UG Engineering Coveralls.

Stay tuned for more!

36. Mr-Nixon

Mr-Nixon

Hi guys,

We are funded. And that is all due to your help. Hura! Hura to all of you, my fellows!

So to be realistic we are not putting stretch goal for the last hours, but I can assure you all extra money collected will be spent on the game development.

By tradition, I've got some unreleased cookies for those who supported us during this campaign: all $40 and higher backers will gain Co-Founder status on our forum for their accounts (if they don't have one yet). After Steam Early Access this summer I don't think there will be any opportunity to get that status so easily. Unique forum-title 'Co-Founder' provides access to the AR Community, where backers will get exclusive updates and help our team by voting on critical decisions.

And as a final titbit, here is a couple fresh concept arts from Angelina (some UG engineers wearing Engineering Jumpsuit):

Once again, thank you so much for your support. This small battle means a lot to us and we'll do our best so that you'd be proud of your belief in us!

37. Mr-Nixon

Mr-Nixon

Hello, boys and girls.

As I promised, our first news post (after The Fall of Gyes Kickstarter campaign succeeded) will be about our recent development of the main menu, and we've got several screenshots to show you, and we'd love to hear your feedback!

Inspired by the Knights of Old Republic, we'd like to have our background scenes change as you progress through the story. For the prologue, where you create your character, we made the background scene to look like a e-microscopic view of your character's DNA. Note: The FPS frame rate at the top left of every screen is just for technical purposes, but we'll remove it after Debug Panel integration.

Here you can see our PRESS ANY BUTTON screen. Beyond the quality of the scene you can expect holographic effects with slight distortion as one of the CORE-7 implant features. If you've played Syndicate 2012 or Deus Ex, you know what I'm talking about.

On this screen you can see our main menu itself, but it doesn't have any Multiplayer/Co-op option yet. By this summer's Steam Early Access release the 'Load Game' option will still be unavailable.

Here you can see New Game button selected and lightened with orange.

When you launch new game you will have to game modes to choose between: Hardcore and Normal.

HARDCORE MODE requires Internet connection to establish synchronization between your computer and After Reset Quanton servers. After the game session our computers will calculate a global ending of the session for After Reset's world. All people's choices will be taken into account, we'll polish it, and a final 'global' ending will be released in addition to the conclusion of your own personal story.

IMPORTANT NOTES: only autosaves allowed for this mode, your companions could die permanently and no 'rerolls' are possible, so, please, take your choices seriously.

NORMAL MODE doesn't require Internet connection to establish synchronization between your computer and After Reset Quanton servers. That implies you can save and load your progress at your will to discover other story branches you'd like.

IMPORTANT NOTES: this mode is recommended for players who already played through the game in Hardcore Mode or for those who has no experience in old school RPGs.

Beyond that here is the link on these screenshots in full HD for our Co-Founders: http://www.afterreset.com/forum/showthread.php?t=107

Ok, guys. Got any questions? Feel free to ask on our official forum: http://www.afterreset.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2

Thank you for your support, and stay tuned!

38. Mr-Nixon

Mr-Nixon

Hey, friends!

We’ve had some tough weeks since our graphic novel campaign, but as we promised all $40+ backers have received Co-Founder status on After Reset official forum, and you should have access to all the VIP sections with the extra content. If you forgot to claim you Co-Founder status, just contact us via Kickstarter and we’ll get you setup. Once again, thank you for your support.

MONEY: DIRECT PLEDGES AND KICKSTARTERS

By tradition, I want to keep you all updated about our direct pledges that we’ve received through our Store page. As you can see by the end of March we have 338 backers with $14,071 pledged. That means that we got $4,026 from 91 new backers in March.

Unfortunately, we're still waiting for the money from the Kickstarter to arrive through Amazon Payments, but it looks like we’ll get $11,557 from the $14,299 originally pledged on Kickstarter. You might be surprised that they take such a big chunk, but that’s how it works. Everyone gets their 5% (Kickstarter fees, Amazon fees, Bank fees), and it adds up fast.

GAME STORY: FACTIONS AND TECHNOLOGIES

There are many different factions that emerged from the ruins of the former United States, and most of them have forgotten what it was like before the Reset (the “Past Age”). Only second-hand stories and verbal accounts of the apocalypse remain for most of the world, with the UG being one of the few exceptions. During your adventures (taking place after 132AR) through the Great Desert and State of Eagle, you will be able to meet five global factions.

These factions have spread among many other territories of the former US and represent enough power and/or influence to be regarded as global factions, including the following:

1. The Indian Alliance (one of the largest and first formed union within the former US, formed by tribes of people with native Indian blood);

2. The New Confederacy (a very young union comprised of individual cities or settlements of survivors);

3. Black Sand (a small but wide-spread mercenary faction, founded by the principles of PMC and/or the Pinkertons);

4. The United Governments (peoples of the Past Age, digging out on the surface from their underground cities);

5. Stalkers (very small groups of people somehow connected to the Artifacts left by aliens during the Reset).

These global factions represent different societies, different views, morals and beliefs:

1. The Indian Alliance has been naturally formed by many tribes of descendants of the Indians which were almost completely vanished or assimilated during the Past Age. They believe that the Gods destroyed the invasive civilization of the Past Age to save their ancestors and bring them to the celestial world, that those of their ancestors who deserved it were taken to that world, and those who remained on Earth should live decently and with respect to the traditions of the tribes, and earn the right to be invited to the land of Gods. The Indian Alliance is based on the Toltecs’ traditions, and they’re generally very racist towards non-Indians. They allow slavery (in Toltec’s or Aztec’s style), but mostly don’t need it. They are relatively prosperous in the apocalypse, with a strong sense of cultural identity.

2. The New Confederacy is based on hate and fear of the UG, and they approve of slavery in the same style as the Roman Empire, which drives their ideology and symbolism from the history of American Revolutionary and Civil Wars, as well as their economy. It is still in its infancy, and thus overcoming growing pains, but is quickly rising and aiming to become the dominant faction of the region, and adopts the pre-industrial US traditions, as well as Machiavellianism.

3. The Black Sand’s mercenaries, founded by descendants of the PMC personal, are a very small and closed-off militarized society that brings up its members mostly within itself like it was in ancient Sparta, and following some kind of impartial Mercenary Codex. Though technically neutral, their members are known and feared in most regions of Eastern America by 132AR.

4. The United Governments must be the most understandable for readers and players. Once they were a united human civilization of roughly 2100+ years (on the Gregorian calendar). During the Reset, this globalized human society converted into a canned version of a sci-fi future society, with a similar backstory to the Japanese after the nuclear bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

5. Stalkers. Before the Dallas Incident, there hadn’t been much evidence regarding their existence, only rumors and stories among survivors who caught brief glimpses of them, or the strange Artifacts they seemed to revere and protect. Rumors suggested that the Artifacts are actually alive, that they could ‘talk’ with certain special people, even ‘change’ them in strange and often unpredictable ways. Others simply disappeared, though there are few who claim to have witnessed it. There’s simply more questions than answers when it comes to the Stalkers.

Each of these global factions has a unique style of life and relevant technology level:

- LOW: The Indian Alliance has the lowest Tech Stage due to their conservative traditions. Mostly technologies up to the 19th century can be found among their tribes.

- FAIR: The New Confederacy’s Tech Stage features mostly 20th century equipment.

- NEXT-GEN: The Black Sand’s mercenaries use tech from beyond 21th century, but those are still regarded as out-of-date to the United Governments.

- CUTTING-EDGE: The United Governments has all the tech from the 22nd century and beyond, since they have still been researching and developing new methods during their underground live confinement.

- UNKNOWN: Stalkers are as mysterious as the Artifacts themselves.

GAME DESIGN: CONCEPT ARTS

Following the technology reveals, I need to say that within wide territories of the game, you’ll mostly find only tech in the LOW-FAIR range. There are only a few Black Sand outposts, and UG forces are very rare (frankly the Gyes bunker could be the only one revealed outpost of the UG in the Great Desert), and this is where you’ll begin your journey. You’ll initially be surrounded by technology that you’ll probably take for granted, but as soon as you begin your exploration in the world of After Reset, this will change drastically and you’ll have to adapt to survive.

We’d also like to show you several concepts of the weapons that you’ll be able to use in the Steam EA prologue, available this summer. I always tend to make After Reset setting the most realistic it can be, while still honoring the best traditions of Hardcore Science Fiction.

When we’re working on concepts, it means that we consult and discuss them with scientists, engineers, sociologists, physicists, futurologists etc. When we work on weapons concepts we begin from the real technologies, and extrapolate them into possible futuristic alternatives. Than we do the same for design and other relevant links. Our final concepts will always reflect that research, and as you can see there are no any extraneous or unreasonable details on them. These weapons really can (and probably will) be made in the future. Enjoy!

PHELAR-17:

The PHELAR-17 (Personal High Energy Laser Assault Rifle) is a high-tech weapon that emits a concentrated photon impulse of coherent light, with a sufficient wattage to do considerable damage. PHELAR effectiveness is proven at mid-range distances, and served the Police and Security departments of the United Governments well. Mass production began in 53AR.

With the compact high-energy sources availability and scattering issues solved laser weapons became very popular during the underground expansion of the UG. Having no recoil or ejected shells, and no gravitational effect on beam trajectory, laser weapons have almost completely displaced firearms on the arms market and on the streets of underground cities by the 67AR.

These energy weapons can be powered by Fusion Cells or by the more advanced modifications like Fusion Cells GO (Ground Operations).

And our first sketches of it:

PHELAR-17Mk2:

The PHELAR-17Mk2 (Personal High Energy Laser Assault Rifle, Mark II) is a high-tech weapon that emits a concentrated photon impulse of coherent light, with a sufficient wattage to do considerable damage. Compared to its predecessor, it is has enhanced durability, radius and damage, and was redesigned by its manufacturer, MARPCO, for military ground operations.

With the compact high-energy sources availability and scattering issues solved laser weapons became very popular during the underground expansion of the UG. Having no recoil or ejected shells, and no gravitational effect on beam trajectory, laser weapons have almost completely displaced firearms on the arms market and on the streets of underground cities by the 67AR.

By the 109AR, when returning to the surface became possible, military contractors launched new programs on assault and defense weapons modifications on common armament and equipment. The Mark II modification was originally developed by the small family company, Jeremy Glover Sons, but they were acquired by MARPRO right before it won the government contract for the PHELAR-17Mk2 development and manufacturing.

These energy weapons can be powered by Fusion Cells GO (Ground Operations) or any other modifications of Fusion Cells.

PHELP-14:

The PHELP-14 (Personal High Energy Laser Assault Rifle) is a high-tech weapon that emits a concentrated photon impulse of coherent light, with a sufficient wattage to do considerable damage. Being a compact sidearm variant of the previous rifles, PHELP was used for close range encounters by the Police Departments and corporations’ security units within underground megapolises of the United Governments since 53AR, right before the beginning of the period of Underearth Colonization of UG history.

That kind of energy weapons can be powered by Microfusion Cells or by its advances modifications like Microfusion Cells GO (Ground Operations).

PHELP-14Mk2:

The PHELP-14Mk2 (Personal High Energy Laser Pistol, Mark II) is a high-tech weapon that emits a concentrated photon impulse of coherent light, with a sufficient wattage to do considerable damage. Compared to its predecessor, it is has enhanced durability, radius and damage, and was redesigned by its manufacturer, MARPCO, for military ground operations.

By the 109AR, when returning to the surface became possible, military contractors launched new programs on assault and defense weapons modifications on common armament and equipment. The Mark II modification was originally developed by the small family company, Jeremy Glover Sons, but they were acquired by MARPRO right before it won the government contract for the PHELP-14Mk2 development and manufacturing.

These energy weapons can be powered by Microfusion Cells GO (Ground Operations) or any other modifications of Microfusion Cells.

MA7 OFFENSIVE CONCUSSION GRENADE and ML1 CQC STUN GRENADE:

The MA7 Offensive Concussion Grenade is designed to produce casualties during close combat with explosive wave power alone while minimizing danger to friendly forces. The grenade is also used for concussion effects in enclosed areas, and for blasting or demolition tasks. The shock waves (overpressure) produced by this grenade when used in enclosed areas are greater than those produced by its earlier counterparts. It’s very effective against enemies located in bunkers, buildings, and fortified areas.

Advances in explosive potency and reliability for this type of grenade are based on cocrystallization technology, was already thoroughly studied by Weisskopf Dynamics and many other small corporations before the Reset, and there hasn’t been any major improvements on it since.

The principle of explosive fillers of the grenades lays in science that most solid materials consist of crystals - with atoms and molecules arranged in a specific pattern that repeats itself time and again. Cocrystallization involves combining two materials into a new crystal architecture with the goal of producing an improved material.

The ML1 Close Quarters Combat Stun Grenade, also known as a flash grenade or a flashbang, is a non-lethal offensive weapon. The first stunning devices were created long before the Past Age but lost popularity among civil and military structures by the end of it in favor of other more radical solutions.

The first and only civil mass unrest within underground cities of the United Governments happened in 87AR revived the demand for suck kind of cheap non-lethal incapacitants. The SW55 Flash Grenades that were in service at the time of that civil unrest (nick-named ‘Riot of Cans’ by mass media) revealed a range of constructive impairments. Based on that experience the Weisskopf Dynamics with the support from other minor corporations managed to get a long-term contract from the UG Social Corps to produce a new type of of non-lethal stun grenade, one that was safer and more effective. Like many other explosives, this grenade is based on the same cocrystallization technology, actively lobbied by Weisskopf Dynamics.

The principle of flashing and stunning fillers of the grenades lays in science that most solid materials consist of crystals - with atoms and molecules arranged in a specific pattern that repeats itself time and again. Cocrystallization involves combining two materials into a new crystal architecture with the goal of producing an improved material.

And our first sketches of them:

NAIL GUN M-88:

This Nail Gun, initially produced by Ishima Engineering, is commonly used by engineers and builders of the United Governments since 50AR, beginning with the period of Underearth Colonization. Though there have been a few modifications to the design since then, it has stood the test of time and hasn’t had any major design improvements.

Most modifications (made after 74 AR) are driven by compact electromagnetic firing system. Despite that this Nail Gun is just an engineering tool, it can be used as a firearm at close ranges, and is reloaded with Nail Blocks the same relative size of pistol clips.

SEE YOU SOON

Well guys, that is all for today. I hope you like our progress and its quality, and thank you for making it possible through your donations and support!

Stay tuned for more!

39. Mr-Nixon

Mr-Nixon

NEW ITEMS
    Hey, guys!

Today we’ve got a brief item update for the After Reset RPG prologue:
    - Repair Kit 'Ishima Engineering' (is used to improve Repair skill);
    - Science Tools 'Kitaro Scientific' (is used to improve Science skill);
    - First Aid Kit 'Astrolis Pharma' (is used to improve First Aid skill);
    - AED Kit 'Astrolis Pharma (is used to revive fallen companions).

REPAIR KIT 'ISHIMA ENGINEERING'

The Repair Kit contains all the essentials an engineer might need to fix pretty much anything constructed by man. It contains a plethora of advanced DIY tools including: General Repair Tools, Computer Repair Tools, Environmental Control and Life Support System Repair Tools, Weapon Repair Tools, FOKRT, HESRT, RRT, MnA EORT etc.

This advanced repair kit is standard issue to all engineering personal working with Ishima Engineering since the beginning of the UG’s Underearth colonization, beginning in 54AR.

Base Item: repair kit.
    Special Effect: +10 to Repair skill.

SCIENCE TOOLS 'KITARO SCIENTIFIC'

The Science Tools, produced by Kitaro Scientific since 101AR, are essentially portable scientific laboratories, programmed with Research Operations Nano-Assistants and the Advanced Hardware Data Analyzer DA-7, complete with a customizable set of Program Cubes, and other small scientific instruments.

These science kits are widely used by the Science Corps' for field research outside of the UG colonies, as well as forensic crime units. The powerful hardware cores are also frequently used by engineers for data analysis, and even the hacking of electronics.
    Because of it’s widespread use it became available for civilian purchase in 102AR, but was soon put back on the restricted materials list after black market knock-offs dealt a crippling blow Kitaro Scientific’s cash flow.

Base Item: science tools.
    Special Effect: +10 to Science skill.

FIRST AID KIT 'ASTROLIS PHARMA'

This First Aid Kit is a portable boxed collection of supplies and equipment for use in giving first aid. Produced by one of the major UG corporations - Astrolis Pharma, these kits are commercially available since 130AR.

The contents can be used to stop bleeding, open restricted airways, thicken/thin the blood, reduce pain and inflammation, and treat first-response trauma. It also has masks, gloves, syringes, Geiger counter, and other basic medical equipment.

Base Item: first aid kit.
    Special Effect: +10 to First Aid skill.

AED KIT 'ASTROLIS PHARMA'

The Automated External Defibrillator Kit (or AED) is a portable electronic device that automatically diagnoses life threatening cardiac arrhythmias in a patient, such as ventricular fibrillation and ventricular tachycardia, and is able to treat them in order for the heart to reestablish an effective rhythm, and can sustain a mortally wounded subject for 24 hours (but they will still need medical aid).

Produced by Astrolis Pharma, this portable medical equipment became standard issue for all trauma units, hospitals, and ground outposts for the UG since 130AR.

Base Item: aed kit.
    Special Effect: performs d20 roll + Fortitude CoS against DC30 death to revive yourself (passive roll) or your companion (activated roll) if you have a companion in your party and you or he/she has this item in inventory.

SEE YOU IN THE NEXT UPDATE!

Well, guys, that is all for today. Thanks for your support, and stay tuned!

40. LightSource

LightSource

These posts are just so good. I'm very impressed. Keep it up!

41. Mr-Nixon

Mr-Nixon

Cheers, man! Thanks.

42. TopThreat

TopThreat

WOW! I absolutely love what you have done here, and thanks for all of the updates!!

43. jg2115

jg2115

How are you creating such high quality textures and models? Good work!

44. Mr-Nixon

Mr-Nixon

Thank you!

Here's the fresh update:

GAME MECHANICS: WEAPONS

Hi guys,

I’m working hard on our SACPIC game mechanics and (as a player) it looks like one of the most sophisticated and interesting game mechanics I’ve ever seen. In this update I’d like to share some info about our weapons system and mechanics. The following assumes that the Initiative roll has been made and it’s your turn to attack. Enjoy!

WEAPON TYPES:

*Small sized characters use 1-handed weapons in two hands and cant use 2-handed weapons.

** Any character using a weapon out of its effective range will suffer a -20 penalty to hit.

*** Damage 1d8 if character is Large build, 1d6 if Medium, 1d4 if Small.

**** Any character fighting with a ranged weapon (except for throwing weapons) in melee will suffer a deadly -10 to hit. The enemy attacking him with a melee weapon will get +6 bonus to hit.

TWO-WEAPON FIGHTING:

CRITICAL HIT:

A critical hit is a devastating attack that generates more damage than normal. Non-Player Characters are always subject to critical hits (unless immune), but player characters are only subject to critical hits in the Hardcore game mode.

Every weapon has a critical rating (e.g. "19-20/x2") consisting of a threat range and a critical multiplier. When an attack roll is successful and within the critical hits range, a critical hit confirm roll is made. If the critical hit confirm roll succeeds, then the hit is critical and damage is rolled once for each level of the multiplier. All bonuses to damage not specifically excluded from critical hits are added once per damage roll. Examples of sources of damage excluded from critical hits are on-hit properties.

Some creatures have immunity to critical hits, and against these creatures damage is rolled only once, regardless of the critical hit confirm roll (if the critical hit confirm roll was successful against such a creature, a message indicating the immunity will appear in the attacker's combat log).

Several feats, skills and item properties could modify critical hits.

* A crippled character receives -1 penalty to the relevant primary STAT (that penalties stuck)

** To make weapon critical hit effect applied the creature attacked must fail random CoS roll against it's DC.

*** Prone creatures are those that are lying on the ground. They are incapacitated and considered flat-footed, losing their dexterity bonus to the evasion class. Creatures attacking a prone individual in melee combat get a +4 bonus to their attack roll, while those attacking with a ranged or throwing weapon get a -4 penalty to their attack roll.

If a creature is both stunned and prone, the associated modifiers to an attacker's roll stack, but the prone condition is removed after a single flurry (e.g., if a stunned creature is knocked down to prone, then each blow thereafter during that round will receive both the prone modifier and the stunned bonus, while attacks after that round will receive only the stunned bonus and prone condition will be removed).

**** Slowed creatures will move at 50% of their current speed. They will also suffer a -2 penalty to evasion class, reflex CoS, and attack rolls along with the loss of one attack per round (to a minimum of one attack per round).

***** Disarmed character loose all of their attacks for the rest the round he or she was disarmed and the weapon is dropped on the ground (and can be picked up by anyone).

****** Stunned creatures stand helplessly in a motionless stupor. Stunned creatures are considered flat-footed, and creatures attacking them receive a +2 bonus to their attack rolls. Being stunned interferes with being prone and is overridden by paralysis, sleep, and freezing.

If a creature is both stunned and prone, the associated modifiers to an attacker's roll stack, but the prone condition is removed after a single flurry (e.g., if a stunned creature is knocked down to prone, then each blow in the same round will receive both the prone modifier and the stunned bonus, while attacks after that round will receive only the stunned bonus and prone condition will be removed).

******* Blinded creatures are unable to see. This also gives them a 50% miss chance and a -4 penalty to all attack rolls, while giving those attacking them a +2 bonus to attack rolls. Furthermore, a blind creature is considered flat-footed and receive -90% penalty to their Field of View and Range of View. Additionally, there is a -4 penalty to all Skills.

Inner Vision feat negates most of the effects of being blind, leaving only the 50% miss chance. Similarly, Blind Fight feat negates some of the effects of being blind, leaving only the -4 penalty to attack rolls, the -4 penalty to skills, and -90% penalty to their Field of View.

The -4 penalty to attack rolls is for attacking an unseen character. It is not applied multiple times for other instances of not being able to see the target (e.g. if the target is invisible or hidden).

CRITICAL MISS:

When a creature, an NPC, or a player characters roll within the natural critical miss range (1 is the default but may be changed by some feats or item properties) a critical miss confirm roll is made. If a critical miss confirm roll succeeds, they have rolled a critical miss effect. Critical Miss Effect Roll is a simple d20 roll against DC20.

I really hope many of true fans of Baldur’s Gate, Neverwinter Nights and Fallout 12 will be as happy as I a, when imagining all that in action. I think we can expect really severe, quick battles where every bullet counts.

And as a final titbit let me present new firearm...

M57 AAR:

The M57 Advanced Automatic Rifle (AAR) is a lightweight, magazine-fed .22in (5.56mm) weapon used by the United States Marine Corps during the Past Age, decades before the United Government's foundation. It is intended to enhance an automatic rifleman's maneuverability, displacement speed, and providing independent power supply for relevant attachments, which are charged automatically with every shot fired by the Kinetic Energy Absorber, which is built into the rifle's body.

Due to its impressive tactical characteristics the assault rifle became very popular among various Private Military Companies and was only put into service by the Military Corps much later. Miller's Manufacturing Company was the last corporation (before the Reset) to win the government contract for the M57 AAR's production.

By the 132AR energy weapons have completely displaced firearms within the UG's society, thus this weapon, like any other firearms, are quite rare in the Underearth. Meanwhile, above the surface, this is considered a valuable Past Age relic by survivors and is used extensively by Black Sand mercenaries.

That is all for today. Thanks for your support, and stay tuned!

balaam likes this.
  45. Mr-Nixon

Mr-Nixon

Hey guys,

We've got brief report about our funding status. In April we collected $825 from 20 backers. That makes our total budget $14,896 from 358 backers.

Thanks so much for your support! Despite the challenges, we're working hard to meet your expectations and reward your faith in us, and in our game.

THE FALL OF GYES: SCRIPT TESTERS

We've almost completed work on the script for the graphic novel and I'd like 20 volunteers from our TFOG Kick-starter backers to help us out by reading the script and providing feedback (that implies, of course, an NDA). And do not worry about spoilers. Even after reading the graphic novel, the game's story will have aces in the sleeve to surprise you.

If interested, please e-mail me Richard at (mrnixon@afterreset.com) with the following information:
    - Your name as it appears on Kickstarter (if you backed TFOG there).
    - Your e-mail (if you backed TFOG via a direct pledge).
    - Your account on After Reset official forum.
    - Your age.
    - Your country.

If you're selected, we'll grant you access to a private forum where you can discuss the script and provide feedback, and that's the only place you'll be able to discuss it until the graphic novel is released. Let's not spoil the fun and surprises for our fellows.

THE ALPHA IS COMING…

Every week this goal draws closer, and our build progress has been pretty amazing. Now we're working hard on the levels' design and character customization. Stay tuned for further news, as we'll be giving you a first-look in the near future, as well as updates about the coming alpha tests!

balaam likes this.
  46. Mr-Nixon

Mr-Nixon

KICKSTARTER REBOOT PREPARATIONS

Hi guys,

We've reached 5000+ followers through Steam Early Access (SEA), and the amount of people who are waiting for our game really inspires us. Hurrah!

We made a big step forward toward the SEA release during May, and now we have almost all models for interior of the Gyes bunker for the prologue. We've also completed the character creation interface, we'll publish soon at Co-Founders section on our official forum. The latter of which inspired more lore about other species of the After Reset world that you will meet in the game: About the Species.

Beyond that we're also going to reboot our Kickstarter project for After Reset RPG prologue part on Kickstarter this July. As we sad earlier, we need $50k in total to make SEA release possible for early fall of 2014. Through direct pledges we've raised about $15k and thus we're going to set $35k as our initial goal, but we'll also have a few separate stretch goals.

If everything goes according to plan the SEA release of the After Reset RPG prologue will be available this September (before post-apoc strategy Wasteland 2 and epic RPG Dragon Age 3). For our Kickstarter and Direct backers this date will come earlier, of course.

As a part of our preparation for this reboot, we're going to be holding back on June developer updates so we can ramp things up during the campaign. This time we'll be prepared with updates to be revealed every day or day in a day. And, by tradition, our Co-Founders will still be able to see these updates on the VIP sub forum much earlier: Co-Founders' Lounge.

By the time you read this, I'm glad to report that we finished the script of the Fall of Gyes graphic novel and sent it to our volunteer testers. We're looking forward to hearing their impressions soon.

Another small pleasant news: as requested, at last we've created an off-topic sub-forum on our official forums. That can be found here: The Lobby (Off Topic)

And by the end of current news I must say due to increase of lore data we are desperately need extra editor/proofreader, US native, to help in polishing our texts for: news/updates, KS project rebooted, in-game lore, dialogs and storyline. If you feel fitted, please, write at my e-mail: mrnixon@afterreset.com

Thank for your support, friends, and stay tuned!

Back us via PayPal.
    Like us on Facebook.
    Add us on Steam Greenlight.
    Join After Reset™ RPG official website.

47. ZJP

ZJP

Euphemism. The graphics are INCREDIBLE!!!

48. Mr-Nixon

Mr-Nixon

After Reset RPG: KickStarter campaign reboots today!

After Reset RPG - a sci-fi post-apocalyptic role-playing game KickStarter campaign reboots today for the ambitious post-apocalyptic open-world RPG!

LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA – July 7th 2014 – Black Cloud Studios™, an independent developer headed by Richard Nixon, have today launched a KickStarter campaign to reboot their old-school open-world post-apocalyptic RPG for PC, Mac and Linux: After Reset RPG.

Since the first trial of KickStarter in November of 2013, when they manage to attract about $50,000 of their $900,000 budget, the developer managed to collect more than $15,000 in direct backing to maintain development and ran another successful KickStarter campaign for a graphic novel prequel to the game, The Fall of Gyes. After Reset also has a following of over 15,000 fans on Facebook and was green lit on Steam in less than five days. Coming to decision to split the game into chapters with smaller goals in order to release the Prologue this fall, Black Cloud Studios is going to KickStarter with new content, an upgraded build of the game, daily updates and smaller goal of $35,000.

After Reset RPG is a classic open-world RPG set on a future Earth that was ruined by a devastating nuclear cataclysm and nearly ending all life on the planet. Developed by grown-up fans of classic hardcore RPGs such as Fallout 1 and 2, Baldur’s Gate and Planescape: Torment and born out of the disappointment of the cancellation of Fallout: Van Buren a decade ago, After Reset RPG has been created by Black Cloud Studios to fill the void for a classic old-school RPG that hardcore fans of the genre have been clamoring for.

Developed with scientific realism and hence aiming to be the first hardcore science fiction video game in history, After Reset RPG features include:
    • A post-apocalyptic atmosphere, with more places to explore than Fallout 1 and 2 together had.
    • A nonlinear story with the freedom to choose from a ton of branches and endings, which influence the whole setting even beyond the game you play.
    • Hardcore game mechanics in the best traditions of D&D and SPECIAL, in which even the process of character creation stretches out into prolonged enjoyment.

With this freedom of choice players can explore a huge world at their disposal, including the Great Desert (formerly known as Nevada) and the State of Eagle (California). But wherever they go the ultimate story will follow them like their own shadow!

PLOT:
    Planet Earth. 132 years after the 'Reset', the thermonuclear apocalypse that ended human civilization. Around one third of the globe is covered by 'Yellow Zones' where the ruins of cities are covered with radioactive dust. In these areas, anarchist survivor groups have taken control where uncontaminated food and drinking water are valued on a par with human life. Another third of the earth is in the agony of the 'Red Zones', the epicenters of the deadly anomalies that arose as a result of a nuclear chain reaction in the atmosphere and the morphing of the planet. The majority of life is not capable of surviving in the Red Zones that makes them a perfect home for mutants. The planet is unrecognizable.

GENRE: RPG.
    TARGET AUDIENCE: 21+, USA, Canada, Europe, Australia, New Zealand.
    TARGET PLATFORMS: PC (Windows, Linux), Mac OS X.
    COMBAT MODE: rule-based real-time.
    GAME MODE: single-player, co-op.

Hotlinks:
    Game Website: www.afterreset.com
    Kickstarter Page: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/blackcloudstudios/after-reset-rpg-rebooted
    Backstory Trailer:

IndieDB: www.indiedb.com/games/after-reset
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/afterreset
    Deviant Art: www.blackcloudstudios.deviantart.com
    YouTube™ Channel: www.youtube.com/user/MrNixonAFTERRESET
    Steam Greenlight: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=188581648

Journalists interested in further information, additional assets, media builds or developer interviews are welcome to contact Black Cloud Studios™ by sending an email to mrnixon@afterreset.com.

balaam likes this.
  49. jforrest1980

jforrest1980

Looking pretty amazing. PM me when you need some testers. I also love the concept art. And those pics in the previous post look pretty promising.

50. Mr-Nixon

Mr-Nixon

Thanks, mate.