Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Smart Water 2 : it is coming...

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by unity3dx, Mar 26, 2013.

1. unity3dx

unity3dx

I will post news here before it is effectively released. I am also looking for Beta tester who can work on demos with the water so that I can use picture of their work or even include a demo in the final product. Contact me in private here: http://funpoint.com/support/ if you want to beta test.

What did happen in 1 year of waiting since the last version of Smart Water.
    First the product was very solid and apart a problem with Android, did work with Unity 3.5 then Unity 4.x and was doing the same job as before on these new Unity releases.
    Second I lost my main Hard Drive in June 2012, and with it all my work on SM2... Lot of this work was based on inspiration rather than on mathematical equations so it was after that very hard to get the same result...
    Finally I worked a lot on the new website Funpoint.com that is more suited for what I want to do in the future.

What are the major changes in Smart Water?
    - Smart Water 2 is no longer 2 products (Basic, Mobile and eventually Pro) everything is in one product.
    - Smart Water 2 supports Open GL3 and PRO features.
    - Smart Water 2 have a set of ambient sounds Fx to drag and drop in your scene to simulate water sounds.
    - Smart Water 2 generates geometry for shoreline automatically. This Geometry can be made at run time or pre-calculated.
    - Smart Water 2 generates deep map of the water at run time or can use a pre-rendered one. This deep map can be changed in real time to simulate underwater movements, movement of a boat etc...
    - Smart Water 2 supports buoyancy, any object can move realistically on the water even if the water is a flat plane technically not moving per se.
    - Smart Water 2 supports foam generation and foam adapts to the objects in the water, like rocks, islands...
    - Smart Water 2 supports Pro features and use render to texture to calculate shadows and reflections.
    - Smart Water 2 has 10 shaders total, 3 Open GL2, 3 Mobile shaders and 4 Open GL 3 shaders.
    - Smart Water 2 has 8 shaders with all the features listed above (apart from realistic reflections) that are working on Unity FREE!

What did not change in Smart Water?

- Smart Water 2 still use the convenient real time editor that can change all parameters of the water without running the project.
    - Smart Water 2 is still the smartest water, using 50% less GPU than Suimono water, and 20% less than Tarashen for more features and a better look.
    - Smart Water 2 support automatic switching with underwater.
    - Smart Water 2 supports caustics both on the surface and on the underwater ground.
    - Smart Water 2 can switch shader at run time to adapt to the device specs.
    - Smart Water 2 10 Shaders are using the same parameter and are looking similars in color and shape.

I will list more special features later in this thread, so bookmark it if you are interested...

[video=youtube_share;fK03F9TZaj8]http://youtu.be/fK03F9TZaj8

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 26, 2013
  2. KheltonHeadley

KheltonHeadley

Looks amazing, now give it to me for free! ;)

3. GeneBox

GeneBox

looks solid, I'd like to try it out.

4. virror

virror

Just curious, how much faster is this compared to Unitys Water4? : p
    Also, will it sell at the same price as Smart Water?

Last edited: Mar 26, 2013
  5. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

Very nice work!

6. unity3dx

unity3dx

I will do some tests. But my guess is that it is much faster. Water 4 uses several passes, and the shaders are quite heavy... it is well written but very scholar style, not very smart and optimized. btw I am uploading a video right now, takes time, I will post it in the first post as soon as it is on youtube.

7. Breyer

Breyer

No water basic? Eh sadly. How much it will?

8. SevenBits

SevenBits

I took a look at your video. Very impressive stuff. But, I ask, how customizable is this? Suimono, for instance, lets you customize pretty much everything, and has presets available. How does yours stack up? Could you perhaps give us a web player?

Also, is that a tidal function I see?

9. unity3dx

unity3dx

There is a lot of customization, well almost everything... the editor is 4 panels you can see one of them in the picture above...
    The main thing is that all shaders (10 total) are using the same parameters, that mean you can switch from one shader to another, from one platform to another and get almost the same result, well the closest possible result.

10. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

Can the player interact with the water?
    Meaning that if the player walks into the water he makes little waves and maybe some foam and plashes?

Can the water interact with other systems like the weather system UniStorm from BHS so that when it rains in the weather system on the water plane i can show raindropswaves?

Will there be some kind of wet map that is animated i.e. for the beach that after a wave the beach get wet and after a while dry more untill the next wave makes the beach wet again?

Last edited: Mar 29, 2013
  11. creat327

creat327

hi there,
    i purchased smartwater and mobile over a year ago, i wasn't able to use it back then (sorry, but the quality was not up to the level i was looking for).
    this one looks much better. Would you be interested to take me as a betatester?
    I'm working on the next release of my flight simulator and I want to fly over a lake/ocean. I will be using PC and Mobile for it. You can contact me at joaquingrech @ gmail
    sorry for the spaces and all but spam bots are annoying

12. HolBol

HolBol

Want.

13. unity3dx

unity3dx

Open a ticket (see my signature), I will give you the beta when ready. I am interested in your feedback too.

14. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

I bought the exact same two products from you like creat327 and feel a little ignored from you when you do not answer my questions and i am at a search for quallity water where i not only want to look from a plane above.

@Create
    You should look at obergines water shader.
    They are good looking, fast on mobile and desktops and i think a little cheaper. Maybe just the right ones for flying over.

15. landon912

landon912

Looks great!

16. Dinrae

Dinrae

Any news? :/

17. Burletech

Burletech

I purchased Smart Water as well as the mobile version. It was unusable on on earlier iOS devices due to fill rate (Alpha overdraw). Has this been improved?

The desktop version was very good though I must note.

18. Smartwater3D

Smartwater3D

Attached Files: