Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Finally, an interactive tutorial series that WILL teach you C# for Unity3D

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by SubZeroGaming, Mar 25, 2013.

?

Would you like to see more c# Interactive tutorials?

1. Yes

1,403 vote(s)
    98.9%
  2. No

15 vote(s)
    1.1%
  1. SubZeroGaming

SubZeroGaming

/***********************/
    Facebook: http://facebook.com/DigitalGamingInstitute
    Twitter: @DGIStudents
    My Book: http://www.apress.com/9781430267522
    /**********************/

Pledge: https://www.patreon.com/unity

Codey's Lab:

Download it FREE! off the Unity Asset Store. Interactive tutorial engine that runs directly in the editor:
    Chapter 1 (FREE): https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/38910

Here's what people are saying about Codey's Lab:

Chris -
    "I am a 3D artist and always wanted to learn C# in Unity. I started with the lessons on unity3D but all the info didn't stick. when i was in front of a blank page just nothing. now that i started using Codeys Lab I really feel like I am learning and understand what I do. I love this way of learning! If you are a beginner like me give Codeys lab a try (its FREE!!!).
    I only hope that future support will com on regular bases so we don't need to wait months to see this awesome learning tool expand past the current space shooter."

Andrew -
    "I would even dare to say this is the best learning resource on the entire Asset Store! Highly interactive and fun/easy to use!"

Latest Video: 4/28/15

Hi Everyone,

If you're like myself, you learn by doing. It's as simple as that. How many tutorials have you watched, that you just follow along, type the code they type, and then as soon as a blank page is in front of you, you have no idea where to start?

I'm here to fix this. Many of us have seen the numerous amounts of tutorials out there. They all go over what we are doing. They even explain what we are doing while we follow the tutorial. But for some reason, if you were to take the code you have on screen, and just hit CNTRL A and DELETE, you will not be able to replicate what you just did from scratch. And here's why. IT'S NOT INTERACTIVE!!

Interactive tutorials allow you to understand and try the experiment without spoon feeding you!

I have made a series of short and simple interactive tutorial videos for you all. Please go ahead and give them a try. You'll be surprised how quickly you will have learned compared to what else is out there.

You can also request tutorials. My tutorials will help you understand the terminology of the script we are writing, and how you would go about creating it from scratch YOURSELF.

Here are the links to each Playlist:

C# Fundamentals: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLadYLGMfR6Lphpq1PZFo25_acWAEuoLh_
    C# Intermediate: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLadYLGMfR6Lpvh3xX3a7LXbqJqY_WjIk7
    C# Advance: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLadYLGMfR6Lp0UkcG6DJWD_Qaqzm4t--w
    C# Space Shooter: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLadYLGMfR6LonchR8lGhJT90BweHNwqKC
    C# Unity2D: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLadYLGMfR6LpKF57uu3n5I_NfXgso6Cwb
    C# Misc. Content: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLadYLGMfR6LrNp-L1DcDuX2FCOSZ-uWsx
    C# Live Sessions: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLadYLGMfR6Lp0Dx1wONBYoqVvOLRic1O9

Best,

Jonathan Weinberger

Last edited: Jul 20, 2016
  2. SubZeroGaming

SubZeroGaming

Ah! Sorry, didn't mean to post yet. In process of uploading video. Will be on the post shortly. Thanks.

3. rahuxx

rahuxx

will love to see as much as possible.
    rahuxx

4. SubZeroGaming

SubZeroGaming

Thank you. :)

5. SubZeroGaming

SubZeroGaming

6. Viking1972

Viking1972

Hi

Here is a little feedback on you first video.

I think your tutorial rocks as you are very thorough in your explanation of

• a transform
    • vector3
    • time.deltaTime
    • What the code does and how it relates to the editor (especially the part where you specify a start position for the gameobject.).
    without using many technical terms/expressions.

What I think you missed was:

• why "*" is used ie. what it means
    • public vs. private variable

maybe it is because you intend to save this information for future videos

I look forward ot watch more of your videos a they get uploaded.

7. yvanbroeck

yvanbroeck

Sir

If you keep this tutorial going you definitely will have me watching!

I've been doing tutorials for 3 stinking days now and it's like you said: You just copy the code without actually knowing what you're writing.
    You doing an RPG tutorial from scratch is a big plus too since one day I want to create my very own rpg..

Please keep this up and let it be as interactive and engaging as you're doing right now, it helps me a lot to understand it all a bit better!

8. SubZeroGaming

SubZeroGaming

Thank you for the feed back :)

I'll be releasing a couple videos later today! Thanks for watching!

9. yvanbroeck

yvanbroeck

Just did the one on GUI

loved the fact that you just said "you're gonna have to figure that one out on your own"

So I paused the video, and went on.

I wanted to make my "main menu" with just a "start game" button. I made the background and was wondering how I would be able to center it on the screen regardless of what resolution i would be playing on. So I started fiddling with all the different parameters and came across 'Screen'.

I just put this as the x coordinate for my box

(Screen.width / 2) - 100

The 100 being half of the width of my box. I did the same for my y coordinates and it was such a beautiful thing to see! Unity actually did what I wanted it to do! Hehe

I know that 99.99% of the programmers around here are propably gonna say "dude, that's easy" and sure, they are right. For me it's a massive victory and I applaud myself for that. Makes me wanna do more! A lot more!

10. SubZeroGaming

SubZeroGaming

:) That's my goal!

I struggled for MONTHS with Unity. No tutorial out there is as interactive as I would like. I'm very happy that you were able to figure out the "screen" function on your own! And you may think that 99.99% of the people may think what you did was easy, but believe it or not, that's an advanced step. Even for the top notch programmers. If you don't fully understand how the OnGUI function works, you will not understand the screen function.

I'm very glad that my series is helping you. I hope that with my up coming space shooter series, followed by an RPG series, it will encourage you to continue learning!

The key to understanding is by interactive learning :)

Last edited: Mar 27, 2013
  11. SubZeroGaming

SubZeroGaming

12. SubZeroGaming

SubZeroGaming

Last edited: Mar 28, 2013
  13. yvanbroeck

yvanbroeck

A small suggestion: When you give the viewer a task to complete by himself when you do the next video, start off with giving the solution and go over a couple of possible mistakes.

When I was watching the third part of the spaceshooter series I had to wrap the player so he would go from right to left and vice versa. When I was going to the left he would get stuck just at the edge of the game screen. I figured it out doing it in a different way but I couldn't tell what I did wrong. You explained it in the next video and there I had a serious "Doh!!!" moment because of it :)

What I'm trying to say is, just keep doing what you're doing ;)

14. SubZeroGaming

SubZeroGaming

Thank you very much! :)

Releasing tutorial six as we speak! 30% uploaded. This will be the most interactive tutorial yet. You will DO it on YOUR own.

Post questions, and i'll guide you through the thinking process.

As always, thank you for watching :)

Last edited: Mar 28, 2013
  15. SubZeroGaming

SubZeroGaming

16. granzi

granzi

Thank you, you are doing amazing work with this videos. As a new unity3d programmer with little C# knowledge I can say that you're good teacher.

17. SubZeroGaming

SubZeroGaming

Thank you very much Granzi.

Video 7 will be released today!

18. bravefall

bravefall

Oh this is really nice !!!
    I understand everything !!!!!!
    Please make more more i enjoyed all of your videos.

19. SubZeroGaming

SubZeroGaming

Thank you for the feedback BraveFall.

Video 7 is in the process of being uploaded now :)

Thanks for watching! Glad they are helping.

20. SubZeroGaming

SubZeroGaming

Video 7 is out! Sorry it took so long! I'll upload 8 hopefully over the weekend with a new lesson plan for doing it YOURSELF.

Enjoy! Thanks for watching!

21. rahuxx

rahuxx

Keep Going. Some good tutorial on Asset bundle is what I need. Need to improve my knowledge on streaming scenes.

22. yvanbroeck

yvanbroeck

The problem at the end of the spaceshooter tutorial 5 was you had Space with a capital. It works fine with lowercase. :)

enjoyed the lesson again though mate!

23. SubZeroGaming

SubZeroGaming

yvanbroeck,

Thank you very much for pointing that out!

I was tempted to stop the video and edit that whole bit out, but I figured it would be a great example of how to show someone to use the Unity Reference manual to do tasks.

Thanks for watching!

Video 8 (tutorial 6: spaceshooter)

will try and come out later this evening.

We will go over finishing the player script, and projectile prefab, and then move into Enemies for the game as well as building our astroids.

24. landon912

landon912

This is good stuff, I'll be trying to be more interactive in my tutorials because of your amazing ones :D

25. SubZeroGaming

SubZeroGaming

Thank you very much everyone for the feed back and support. I'm glad that I'm able to contribute to the community in such a way!

I'll be finishing up the SpaceShooter game entirely on hopefully Monday. After that, you'll have enough knowledge and skills to build your most basic games.

In the next series, I'll be getting into possibly RPG(Role Playing Game) and maybe even FPS. (First Person Shooter)

we'll have a vote when the time comes.

Again,

As always, thank you for watching! :)

26. SubZeroGaming

SubZeroGaming

Here is Video # 8!

Enjoy! Thank you for watching! Please message me any questions or comments. You can also post on the youtube page. I'll respond within a reasonable time frame.

Thanks for watching!

27. Reisuj

Reisuj

I'm loving your series of videos so far. It actually feels like things are sinking in to my thick head enough that I can recall them later :)

Also I love how your videos are what I'd call "real". Meaning that when things don't go quite right you don't edit out or re-record them. You puzzle it out right there with the viewer. I usually try to puzzle it out myself at the same time which I think helps the interactive learning part of the process too.

Please keep the vidoes coming.

28. outtoplay

outtoplay

Agreed...great series! My vote would be for an RPG followup... Just sayin ;` )

29. Viking1972

Viking1972

Hi

Space Shooter Tutorial Series: 06 was great for two reasons:

1. we finally have something usable which can be further improved.

2. the nasty error at about 12:19 in the video where it is demonstrated how to look up information to solve the problem - I know that the error was ofcourse created with full intention so the author had a chance to show what to do when the project goes south :wink:

Personally I wouldn't mind if we had more of these "incidents" as bugs and how to deal with them is also a part of the creative process.

30. SubZeroGaming

SubZeroGaming

Thank you so much everyone for the fantastic feed back! I'm very excited to say that I will be creating more.

After the SpaceShooter series, I will be looking into starting an RPG Series, and a FPS series.

I will continue to add trial and error. I will NEVER re-record my videos. I believe that when I demonstrate trial and error, it's a great example to show how you can overcome your error with help from the reference files as well as just simply reading what the open parenthesis say.

As always,

Thank you for watching!

31. yvanbroeck

yvanbroeck

Thanks again Jonathan!

I asked a question on the YouTube channel but i'll ask it in here as well

when instantiating i've used myTransform.position as the starting position of the prefab. This works just as fine as when creating a new Vector3. What i wanted to know was: Apart from not being able to adjust the y-axis so the prefab launches in front of the cube are there other reasons not to do it the way I did?

I have this logic about creating a game. The fewer code, the less it has to compile thus resulting in better optimization. I'm sure there is lots more to it, but I really believe that is the base logic.I might be completely wrong though xD

Oh and about the vote,

Gamer to Game Developer has produced a very nice tutorial about making an FPS. My vote goes to the RPG one then ;)

Last edited: Mar 31, 2013
  32. SubZeroGaming

SubZeroGaming

Hi Yvanbroeck,

You can certainly do what you did.

The reason why I created a new Vector 3 position was to just show that you are able to do things manually through the inspector and through code.

When we first created our prefab it had the position of the cube, (-3,-3,-1)

The prefab looks more natural when positioned at (-3, -2,-1)

Thanks for watching, and I hope this helped you!

33. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

This is a great way to teach csharp :)
    I like it a lot and hope for more.

I vote for the rpg before an fps tutorial.

34. SubZeroGaming

SubZeroGaming

Thank you everyone for the amazing comments. This certainly exceeded my expectations on the feedback I would receive. I'm thrilled that my tutorial videos are actually working for people. I will be creating more, and when we finish the space shooter series, based on popular demand, i'll create a series for RPG, or FPS.

For those who have been following my series, you now have the skills to build games that require the basic fundamentals. With pride, i'd like to say Congratulations! You are now a programmer!

As always, thank you for watching!

Best,

Jonathan Weinberger
    SubZeroGaming

35. Viking1972

Viking1972

Hi

Based on the posts I have read then I'm under the impression that a RPG as the next tutorial project is what the majority wants, however, I would prefer a basic FPS as the scope will be much smaller and thus the risk of anyone loosing their newly gained momentum of enthusiamsm would be equally less as well.

To those of you who aren't aware of the potential scope of making even a modest RPG then I suggest you take a look at the huge number of videos Petey from BurgZergArcade has made.

So please do a reality check and ask yourself: "Am I prepared to follow 40 - 60 (and then some more) tutorials in order to learn C# and Unity ?"

Nearly the same questions goes to the author - is he prepared to make 40 - 60 (and then some more) tutorials in order to share his knowledge of C# and Unity ?

36. SubZeroGaming

SubZeroGaming

Viking,

Well said. He is exactly correct, everyone.

I know the excitement of creating an RPG. But in order to create one, we may have to take a step back and work on a project that's bigger than SpaceShooter, such as a FPS, and smaller than an RPG. There is a lot that goes into an RPG. To get a gist, you can certainly look at ZurgBergArcade. His series is a perfect example of how difficult it can be. And worst of all, it's not very interactive, so if you aren't confident with your skill level, you will encounter problems.

In Video number 9,

this will determine if you are confident in programming. It will be my most interactive tutorial to date. The viewer will be in charge of creating the entire enemy script from scratch with no visual aid from my code. If the majority of viewers can complete this, then maybe it's possible for me to create a simple RPG project, but if not, It may be best to start out with a simple FPS, and make a small Call of Duty style game. And progress upwards.

You need to ask your self.

Do you want to learn Unity, and learn C#?

If you answered yes, you need to rethink the speed at which you are trying to learn. Moving too fast is a perfect example on how to get frustrated with programming. If you have followed me up to level 8, then you are officially a programmer. You have the skills to to understand the basic fundamentals of game design. RPG is very beyond the fundamentals.

As i'm rethinking my series,

I think after the spaceshooter, we are going to make a runner game with animations, and our own Mario style game. Then move to FPS, and then move into an RPG.

We'll see.

Thanks for watching!

Video 9 - Coming soon!

37. yvanbroeck

yvanbroeck

Speaking for myself on this matter: I do know it takes a ton of work creating an rpg, and that it propably is a lot more manageable with a team of likeminded individuals.

I've started my own rpg just to get the hang of it and see what it's all about. The amount of calculations, variables you need to account for and much more things I don't even know about are mindblowing. I spent 4 bloody hours yesterday trying to get a box to show my current stamina while sprinting and when it hits 0 it should go back to walking speed. I did this with calling the variables from the player script to my GUI script. Calling variables from another script was new to me but in the end I got it to work.. sort of :)

What I'm trying to say is, maybe it won't be a bad idea to do a sidescrolling platform game first before taking the next step. It won't be bad for a new coder like myself to take it one babystep at a time, and it also won't be bad for you as a new tutor. Maybe you can get some new ideas going this way.. I don't know :)

38. SubZeroGaming

SubZeroGaming

Thanks yvanbroeck for the input.

We'll see how the SpaceShooter tutorial series finishes up. I have completed video #9,

I'm just hesitating the release. It's similar to Video 4 with the whiteboard, but certainly much, much more difficult.

If anyone would like a pre release of Video 9, and give me feedback, please go ahead and send me a pm requesting Video #9.

I'll go ahead and send you a download link to the video.

I'm looking for feedback on if it's too challenging or not. I have not introduced anything new, but i fear it may be too complicated.

Thanks.

39. Viking1972

Viking1972

Hi

While we wait for next part of the tutorial. I decided to take the plunge and try to write a bit of code myself, but it goes without saying that this had to cause me trouble !

I have made another cube and intend it to be at top of the screen, so I have something to shoot at.

I did manage to get a position for the cube (myEnemy) and also got it to move to the left, however, the when I try to make it go to the right once it reach the far left of the screen then my problem(s) started:

Code (csharp):
    2. using UnityEngine;
    3. using System.Collections;
    5. public class Enemy : MonoBehaviour {
    7.     private Transform myEnemy;
    9.     public float myEnemySpeed;
    11.     private float myEnemyleft;
    13.     // Use this for initialization
    14.     void Start () {
    16.         myEnemy = transform;
    18.         myEnemySpeed = 2f;
    20.         myEnemy.position = new Vector3(0,5,0);
    22.         myEnemyleft = -9f; //the left most position on the x-axis the meEnemy can have
    23.     }      
    24.     // Update is called once per frame
    25.     void Update () {
    27.         myEnemy.Translate(Vector3.left * myEnemySpeed * Time.deltaTime);
    29.         if(myEnemy.position.x = myEnemyleft ){
    30.             myEnemy.Translate(Vector3.right * myEnemySpeed * Time.deltaTime);
    31.         }
    33.     }
    34. }
    The two errors I get are:

1. Assets/Scripts/Enemy.cs(28,28): error CS1612: Cannot modify a value type return value of `UnityEngine.Transform.position'.
    Consider storing the value in a temporary variable

2. Assets/Scripts/Enemy.cs(28,17): error CS0029: Cannot implicitly convert type `float' to `bool'

I did try to decipher what it is Unity tells me, however, I don't really understand - due to my lack of knowledge of C# I guess.

As far as I can tell it has a problem with the vector3 coordinates and now it suggests me to make a variable to store them in before it process them - I'm not sure how to do that

Furthermore it don't seem to like that the Vector3 coordinates are float values - does it prefer int values instead ?

Well, I'm not sure what to do, so I hope some of fellow students have more insight or else I might be forced to strike my colors and ask Jonathan.

40. wolfhunter777

wolfhunter777

At line 28 where you have
    Code (csharp):
    2. if(myEnemy.position.x = myEnemyleft )
    It should be == instead of =. Using = means to assign the value of the right into the left while == means equal to which is what you want to use in this case. Once you change from that to this:
    Code (csharp):
    2. if(myEnemy.position.x == myEnemyleft )
    All your errors should be gone =)

41. SubZeroGaming

SubZeroGaming

@ Viking,

Marvelous job!

Wolfhunter: Thank you very much for answering his question.

Video 9 will be out within the hour!

42. SubZeroGaming

SubZeroGaming

My most interactive tutorial yet! Video # 9.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vs9FDhjNaBk&feature=youtu.be

If you require any sort of help, you can private message me. Please provide your script.

Thanks for watching!

P.s: We are not learning to do anything new.... Attempt it. Don't get frustrated. You can DO it!

43. Viking1972

Viking1972

Success it worked ! - thank you very much

What an embarrassing error to make, though I can, in my own defence and for the record, say that I had made "==" equal to, earlier but have since then I have been messing around in the code trying to figure out what to and to deal with those error messages (which are of almost no use to a newbie/noob) that this rather significant detail had been missed.

Now, my only problem is that the cube (myEnemy) won't travel in the opposite direction once it reach the value stored in myEnemyLeft in line 28 - it seems to me that the if-statement is ignored !

Is it possible to see when each of the code lines are executed - in the editor console or in monodevelop ?

44. newb3e

newb3e

youtube is blocked in my country Pakistan proxies are slow any way i can download videos?

45. yvanbroeck

yvanbroeck

Having some trouble with viewing this video Jonathan.. I'll check #9 later :)

46. SubZeroGaming

SubZeroGaming

@Viking

Code (csharp):
    2.  if(myEnemy.position.x = myEnemyleft ){
    4.             myEnemy.Translate(Vector3.right * myEnemySpeed * Time.deltaTime);
    6.         }
    What this is saying: if enemy position is equal to negative 9 then it should move left and right while going the speed you set while in Real Time.

what it needs to be:

if the enemy cube is at -9, then you need to change it's position to 9.

Go ahead and try that.

@newb3e,

I'll see what I can do about a download.

47. newb3e

newb3e

thanks man! our stupid govt has blocked youtube for months now!

and one more thing can a noob programmer follow your tutorial? I have just started learning c# and programming.

48. yvanbroeck

yvanbroeck

These tutorials are aimed at beginners like myself and I find them very helpful!

Just completed #9, got it right the first time around. Now, do I get a cookie?? ;)

Very helpful as always Jonathan

Last edited: Apr 2, 2013
  49. newb3e

newb3e

thats great only if i could watch his tutorials!! :'(

50. yvanbroeck

yvanbroeck

You can always try using a proxy server, try the demo on this page USA IP and follow the instructions on the left.

Maybe that way you can log on to YouTube