Search Unity

Do something about the pathetic documentation

Discussion in 'Wish List' started by Redux, Mar 23, 2013.

1. Redux

Redux

After using unity for 4 years, I would think this would have been rectified by now. I am a unity pro/IOS developer, and today I went to use the as always disappointing documentation, but today decided to say something about it. I repeatedly see the devs (As always) make comments about the documents poor state, and repeatedly see nothing done. The lip service really does nothing for anyone other than making you look like liars, and some of us are sticklers who still care about customer service.

Perhaps I am more irritated by this than some, but lets look at a few points:
    1. It is regularly stated that Unity has a huge user base.
    2. A marketing point used for some time, is how unity is great for indies.
    3. People pay quite a bit of money for the ability to use Unity pro.

These are relatively shallow points because I don't feel like wasting energy on the obvious by going into details.

Why the *!% are the docs a continually neglected subject? It's sad to see a company with the resources that UT has not doing the right thing and hiring someone to address this problem... or opening the docs to the community... or allowing volunteer assistance... or anything of the sort that looks like focus on something that I consider to be a core issue.

Some of us have to use the more obscure portions of unity for work that pays the bills, and it is a complete pain in the ass to have to troll the internet, or jump into IRC for answers that an intern at UT could have entered into the documentation.

This isn't acceptable, please fix it in by the next release.

For all those who may choose to defend UT on this subject: Money paid, we want good docs :p (And I don't care what other company A does or how cheap this is compared to product B) - They have all the resource necessary to address this problem properly.

2. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

You don't actually point out any specifics of where you find the documentation to be lacking. We have 3 full time doc writers so it's not something that's really being neglected. Could they be better? Sure. Could everything in Unity be better? Yes. But unless you give specifics of where you think we need improvements this feels more like a rant than genuine interest in seeing the docs improved.

3. fallingbrickwork

fallingbrickwork

I only venture into the scripting reference, but I actually find it quite good; I have certainly seem worse engine documentation in my time. I guess everyone needs a different level of description etc... Is it this that is the issue or is it missing/incorrect content?

- Matt.

4. acropole

acropole

I worked on a lot of game engines the last 12 years (started with max payne in 2001) and unity's doc is one of the best doc I ever seen.
    Is it perfect ? Of course not, but it's not the crap you say.
    Good doc on game engines is new, and official good doc is even more.

5. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

The EUDB might help in the interim. People haven't commented much yet but there are a couple of tips and tricks around the place.

6. Redux

Redux

There are a large number of script reference entries which have nothing more to them than a reiteration of the name of the function itself. This was primarily what I was referring to. We are in crunch where I work and had just gotten done working for 16 or so hours when I posted this, so take it with a grain of salt ;).

7. Redux

Redux

Thanks for pointing this out, interesting,