Search Unity

iOS developer.. new and confused..

Discussion in 'iOS and tvOS' started by AppMoney, Mar 20, 2013.

1. AppMoney

AppMoney

Hi all,

I am an iOS/C# developer. I have experience working with xCode and Visual Studio asp.net applications.

I am intereseted in Unity because I am under the impression that the learning curve for Unity3D as opposed to Cocos2d is less and I can get up and running with basic games in Unity in lesser time as opposed to Cocos2d, Obj-C etc. etc.

I would like to learn more about how to make basic entry level games that I can sell in Apple Store for .99 cents.

Please let me know if you have made basic entry level games for iOS and what was your experience like in terms of downloads etc.

I am concerned that if I make Racing games for Apple app store, I may not get many downloads because of crowded category.

Some times, I get discouraged while learning unity that I may not get too far .. or I should just stick with Obj-C etc. etc.

Thanks for reading. and I appreciate any feedback..

2. jerotas

jerotas

If your first few games are paid downloads, you have pretty much no chance to make more than chump change. Start with free ad-supported games. Add in in app purchases as well if you can. If it's pretty popular you could change it to paid later on. Not to mention the App Store changes in iOS 6 shafted the indie developer. Huge outcry there was I remember.

My company made an extremely well reviewed game on iOS last fall. But selling it at 99 cents was a huge mistake for a previously nonexistent company with no marketing budget. I think we have sold around 300 copies in 5 months. We are about to release the free version on Android and should fare much better, then follow up with free iOS version.

By the way, no platform compares with Unity for games. Especially with the awesomeness you can buy from the Asset Store to help you save massive amounts of time.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2013
  3. goat

goat

Unity is just a different API more directly useful for 3D game programming rather the 2D presentation. If 3D game programming is you goal, go with Unity. If 2D game programming is your goal stick with what you know and use Box2D or buy Unity and the Rage Spline / Rage Pro assets in the assets store. I think, if you search, someone has ported Box2D to the Unity as well but I forget what they call it. Unfortunately, nothing obvious like Box2D.

4. ak223

ak223

5. laserlars

laserlars

Bad Piggies was made with Unity, so it´s obviously possible to make great 2d games with Unity :>