Search Unity

Unity 2D started

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by pvloon, Mar 20, 2013.

1. pvloon

pvloon

Last edited: Mar 20, 2013
  2. jeffweber

jeffweber

Hmm, very interesting... And lets hope this Unity2D has Box2D built in.

3. Heu

Heu

Well i'd be damned.

I'm excited for this to happen.

4. ZJP

ZJP

Sure :p

5. wccrawford

wccrawford

I know, right? I'd want it for menus, if nothing else.

And hey, perhaps this is the first step to a new GUI system.

6. pvloon

pvloon

I think it's the other way around - the GUI system is their first step towards the 2D engine. They mentioned something along those lines at Unite

7. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

This is going to be a totally speculation-based thread, I can see ;)

It is cool news. However we have absolutely no idea of the scope of this. It could amount physics optimized for 2d plus some easy way to set a 2d camera plus some default sprite component that runs off a sprite sheet automatically.. But if that is all? That's far short of a full workflow.

2D level editing is far removed from 3D, as are the animation options.

I don't see what it would have to do with the GUI system at all.

I really hope they don't go down the `every 2D game must use physics` path... very restrictive. There are many other methods of handling and using collisions and performing animation. I also hope the `tools` that this brings are very WYSIWYG and not some horrible set of inspectors or scripts that you have to drag onto objects to activate or whatever. I want it in the scene view 100%.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2013
  8. Dabeh

Dabeh

I'll be happy for anything that is made for 2D specific scenes. I don't expect a full on 2D system. Although that would be nice :D

9. pkid

pkid

+1

10. ColossalDuck

ColossalDuck

11. Rivendare

Rivendare

If Unity2D enables devs to make games like Knights of Pen and Paper better than Unity3D, what's not to love? =D

12. techmage

techmage

I'm hoping this works like a new set of tools for dealing with 2D assets inside of the 3D editor, and that it's not some separate 2D only editor.

13. Lukas H

Lukas H

I'd put my money into Box2D support. If you've been following Aras and Prime31 on Twitter you know there's something happening (occasionally)
    As for rendering 2D, they are going to use the GUI stuff for that, I have no doubt about that.

Since we are speculating I'm gonna make a prediction: Unity 4.2 contains this stuff! ;)

14. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

4.5 is my guess ;)

15. ColossalDuck

ColossalDuck

4.2 ha haha hhhaaa ha ha ah. I bet 5.x

16. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

When Aras has nothing to do it will come!

17. khanstruct

khanstruct

Agreed. A 2d/sprite framework will basically require everything a good GUI would need and more. If they were to release a whole 2d package and NOT have the new GUI already done, it seems like they would have wasted a whole lot of time and resources.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how this turns out.

18. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Tell you what is baffling?

That the engine wasn't designed with a 2D path from day one. 2D is 3D. It's a whole consideration to make when doing "3d". Every single 3D game will use masses of 2D elements in it. Text. Menus. HUDs. Overlay info. Billboards. Gui. The list goes on LONG BEFORE EVEN MENTIONING that there are more 2D games than 3D games made every single year by FAR.

So it's a good step by unity, but a little late to the party. A lot of people use cocos2D / other libraries and shy away from unity due to the fact there's nonexistent useful built in support for it.

I did TOB in it, but this is because I am committed at the moment, to the Unity platform and want to push it as far as it will go in respective areas. I have built our business along the Unity path. This might not always be the case, but for now I think it makes sense.

Would have made a lot more sense with very robust and very fast 2D support ;)

Having said that, there are some quite-nice things about having a 3D engine behind it, depending on the game you're making. Being too "2D" can screw up creativity.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2013
  19. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

Im looking forward to it.

20. jeffweber

jeffweber

Like some of the stuff discussed here: http://www.sizefivegames.com/2012/11/07/using-unity3d-for-the-swindles-2d/

I like the idea of a 2D engine, but I want to pick and choose what parts of the 2D engine I want to use. For instance, I use a perspective (3D) camera in my game for parallax and zooming, I'd love to mix it with a 2D Physics engine.

I hope, like others have said, it's not a whole new product that forces you to be "TOO" 2D.

-Jeff

21. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

I think on the one hand there are 2d engine features like sprites and tiles and all that but moreso the really important part to help 2d is a proper set of editors or workflow suited to those kind of games. It needs to be waaaay more wysiwyg, full editing in the scene view with a single system and proper tools, rather than all these crazy detached custom inspectors and hidden dropdown menus that all the asset store packages employ. Proper realtime editing with instant feedback, yes sir.