Search Unity

[TerrainEngine] Voxel Terrain : Smooth,Cubic,2D,Hexagonal Infinite Procedural Terrain

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by dyox, Mar 19, 2013.

1. E.Bugrov

E.Bugrov

Hi, Dyox! I am extremely sorry, but can you please answer me one more time? Silence is a heavy stone...

2. vostorgit-com

vostorgit-com

Hello Thomas,
    Send me please tha latest version of TerrainEngine.
    Thanks

3. dyox

dyox

Please, can you wait i reply you by PM/Email/Skype before posting here, thank.

TerrainEngine V8.18 :
    -New Canyons Demo Scene
    -New Shader with vertical texture
    -New PathFinding examples
    -New Biome GUI and Noise Computation class

TerrainEngine V8.18 : New Canyons Example

Last edited: Apr 27, 2014
  4. dyox

dyox

TerrainEngine V8.19 : Fantasy world
    -A new demo scene /assets for V9

5. davbar9

davbar9

Good Work. Send me please the latest version of TerrainEngine.

6. Xerosigma

Xerosigma

I'm throwing my credit card at the screen but nothings happening...

7. Insta_K1ller

Insta_K1ller

This looks amazing!!! :) Well done sir, love the updates and video's.

8. Torigas

Torigas

This is truely fantastic work. Keep it up!

9. TheGameWizard

TheGameWizard

Just wondering... Why is is not on the asset store???

10. franmts

franmts

It's great tech here! SVO + Sparse Textures is the future obviously.. And I wonder Dyox, is it possible to apply this tech you have today to 3D models (aka convert triangles to voxels) or you create these terrain voxels from scratch and have absolutely zero relation with polys giving some base shape?? How far would this kind of conversion be from what you have? Regards!

11. dyox

dyox

@insta_killer : Thank you.

@Torigas : Thank you.

@TheGameWizard : I don"t accept some aspect of asset store. But that can change in the future.

@franmts : No it's not currently possible. TE use simple density grid,so if some other tools exist, it's possible to convert extracted result from other tool i think.

TerrainEngine V9 is almost here, with several new systems :
    • Multi-Player TCP server : World fully generated/managed on server with complete fluid and scripting management
    • TerrainEngine now play a client and run an internal server.
    • Asset Streaming : only needed assets are loaded from disk or website.
    • Biome Combiner : You can now build each biome on different scenes, and import all of them in one scenes without any modification and the % of each one.
    • Biome Switcher : It's now possible to handle when object enter to a biome and, play events/ change weather / Modify Camera effects / and more
    • UndoRedo Manager : Generic UndoRedo manager working with all systems (Voxel,ConstructionKit,Plants,Gameobjects,Grass)
    • Particles/Sounds Processor : Simple and fast system for spawn particles or play sound when terrain is modified.
    • PathFinding : Flying, Aquatic,Ground units demo scenes.
    • Loading Time optimization ( Terrain ready to play in only few seconds )
    • Generic Scripting system works now with the network without any modification. You can call a script to any trees (like tree fall), all players will see it fall.
    • Smart Rocks/Plants/Grass Height generation. You can switch between random or noise system for generate height. The noise system will create really natural pack of plants or grass, with big or small bush.
    • And more

Last edited: Oct 4, 2015
    Tethys likes this.
  12. Insta_K1ller

Insta_K1ller

Dyox, your site looks very good and I love the new features of v9!
    Hope new video will be up soon ^^
    I dont think I will be needing the sytem right now a I just started to learn Unity) but I think you have a truly unique asset in hands! If I ever need a proper terrain engine system I would definately go for your sytem!

13. fivearchers

fivearchers

Is the new cave system out??

14. dyox

dyox

Insta_killer : Thank you. Yes i understand.

Yes fivearchers, TerrainEngine V8 is done.
    The next update will be V9

15. dyox

dyox

New TerrainEngineV9 Exploration preview video :

-Custom Grass Mesh
    -Multiplayer server
    -Biomes Merge
    -Objects Scale by noise
    -PathFinding (Aquatic, Flying, Ground)
    -Asset Streaming
    -Undo Redo Manager
    -Plants/Trees alignment to terrain
    -Automatic Smart memory deallocation
    -Dynamic fluid combiner ( Draw calls optimization )
    -Noise Voxel type placement depending of altitude and depth
    And more.

Tethys likes this.
  16. Tiki

Tiki

I was actually developing a small voxel engine myself with the intention of it coming out something like this. I might just be picking this up instead.

17. dyox

dyox

New system : Flammable Grass/Details :
    -Propagation
    -Fire Speed and Lifetime
    -Random effects
    -No performance impact ( using ActionProcessor )
    -Can use wind direction for propagation
    -Totally controlled

CompleteWorldNew 2014-06-18 18-10-22-95.jpg CompleteWorldNew 2014-06-18 18-10-26-94.jpg CompleteWorldNew 2014-06-18 18-10-36-96.jpg

Last edited: Jun 18, 2014
    Tethys likes this.
  18. JC_LEON

JC_LEON

where can buy this???
    how much cost??

I contacted you by emal but I did not received any resposne yet..

Last edited: Jun 22, 2014
  19. Tiki

Tiki

From what I've researched, he's asking for about 3,000 euros. I haven't received a response yet, either.

20. Frpmta

Frpmta

Chances are you have heard about the "Voxel Farm" Engine.
    Can TerrainEngine support giant sized terrains like those in Voxel Farm while keeping a nice performance? [Let's say, a Skyrim world in which you can fly across the world]
    Any way to export generated terrains into Maya/Max/Blender for further editing?

21. Tethys

Tethys

I have found that what Voxel farm can do in an actual game might be different from the images on the website. For true performance test of Voxel Farm look at Everquest next.

TerrainEngine, however, does look that good IN GAME. The draw distance is not as far (but far enough IMO and adjustable) and on anything other than scale of 1 you will not get that super thick grass cover, but it still looks and performs REALLY GREAT in game. With the new Terrain LOD system draw distance is now even further. Astral Terra uses TerrainEngine and scale of 2 - our terrain generation is big enough to have the distant hills start to fade into the distance fog and it still generates fast enough to use a vehicle or moderate speed flying while also keeping a stable framerate anywhere from 56-82 on my mid spec machine ( 3.0 i5, 8 gigs of ram, ATI Radeon 7870 graphics) in 1080p resolution.

I do not think there is a way to export generated Terrains but I may be incorrect. Hope this helps!

Last edited: Jun 26, 2014
  22. kaspian897

kaspian897

hi
    Send me please the latest version of TerrainEngine please.
    my email : kaspianwielki@gmail.com
    good work. good luck:)

23. thoorne

thoorne

:D

I think that this asset costs 3000 Euros or something like that.

Tethys likes this.
  24. dyox

dyox

@Frpmta : "Can TerrainEngine support giant sized terrains like those in Voxel Farm while keeping a nice performance?"
    No, TerrainEngine can draw 1km3 to 2km3.
    There is no Terrain LOD currently.
    I already have DualMarchingCubes, Transvoxel impl with LOD working on test projects, but the result with unity is not satisfactory for the moment.

Voxelfarm have the advantage to draw very far terrain but:
    -No realtime terrain generation.
    -No complex vegetation
    -No realtime terrain modification
    -No infinite Terrain

VoxelFarm Terrain:

Landmark :

I agree the fact they looks more realist/beautiful, but i'm not an artist, i only provide examples, any team can achieve the same result with TerrainEngine.

I'm focused on Biomes/Network/Performance.
    My main goal is to have a very fast terrain generation with a lot of simultaneous deformation.
    TerrainEngine have a robust core that can handle all type of algo without any modification (Dual contouring, Dual Marchingcubes, LOD).
    When i will find something visually interesting with unity and good performance, i will add it to TerrainEngine.

You can export terrain mesh with an external system that save directly chunks mesh.
    On future versions, it will be possible to use an external image as HeightMap or an unity Terrain.
    So when you will click on play, UnityTerrain will be replaced by Voxel terrain. But Still no in editor terrain edition planned.

@JC_LEON : I'm sorry, i receive a lot of email like this :
    "can I get the terrain generator?"
    "hi i am creating a survival based game and i was wondering if i could have your terrain generater"
    "Send me TerrainEngine" @kaspian897 ;)
    "where i can download it"
    "I want learn, send me your terrain, promise i will not share it"

So i don"t answer all time if the mail doesn't look serious.
    Please resend me a new email with your unity forum name on it , i will answer.

TerrainEngine : CompleteWorldNew 2014-06-18 20-20-35-67.jpg CompleteWorldNew 2014-07-04 06-03-01-29.jpg CompleteWorldNew 2014-07-04 06-17-13-72.jpg
    CompleteWorldNew 2014-07-04 06-18-44-42.jpg CompleteWorldNew 2014-07-04 06-10-35-24.jpg

Tethys likes this.
  25. angel_m

angel_m

LandMark is fantastic, I think TerrainEngine could become as good as Voxel Farm in the future.
    I would like to see implemented in TerrainEngine the ability to create the final voxel terrain in the Unity editor, with caves, archs, floating islands... etc. because I am not interested in realtime terrain generation or modification. Also I need big sized terrains suitable to fly over them.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2014
  26. kaspian897

kaspian897

I have a few questions
    How long did it take you to do this ?
    you give some programming Lesson?
    from which you start doing terrainengine?
    Where did you learned ?
    how much time do you spend on the terrain engine. how hard is it?

27. Herophantom

Herophantom

Does this mean you have server software you provide? Or can this be implemented with any server hosting system? I am working on a project in which we will be using dedicated servers in an MMO style of connection. We are still in the planning pahse, and I really like what you have here. Do you have any more documentation/information about how the server side of TE works?

Tethys likes this.
  28. XPAction

XPAction

wrong, it have

29. dyox

dyox

-3 Years : First video :

-No, sorry.
    -I've started with VoxelForm. I liked it, so i switched from C++ to C# with Unity.
    -Internet. I've stopped school when i was 16 and learned C++/java/C#.
    -Almost every day. I'm reading papers (dual, contouring, octree,etc) , trying tech with unity.

Tethys likes this.
  30. dyox

dyox

TerrainEngine Server can be hosted in any server. It's C# code.

TerrainWorldServer Server = new TerrainWorldServer();
    Server.Start();

You can start a server from an unity exe or on external C# application ( just by exporting 'shared' folder to another project).
    Server is multithreaded and generate+send worlds to players. So Players see exactly the same thing.
    I'm using TCP.
    No doc for the moment, but RealmExplorer currently use TerrainEngine beta server.

Tethys likes this.
  31. dyox

dyox

You're the second person who say that , but i can"t find anything about it.
    Do you have any video that show it ?

32. dyox

dyox

I don"t really like UnityEditor. Maybe in future version.

33. Dabeh

Dabeh

Looks like it worked out well for you, you've done an amazing job.

Tethys likes this.
  34. Tethys

Tethys

Dyox - Is v9 of the TerrainEngine available now? Looks fantastic, great job as always. Thanks!

35. Herophantom

Herophantom

That sounds great! At the moment we are looking at SmartFox server to run our servers. I don't know if you are familiar with them, but they provide all of the base services for hosting a server and allow you to write your own plugins in Java to facilitate your specific needs for the games. We like them so far because they have a lot of the standard things an MMO needs ready to go, very little mundane work to do up front.
    So my question being, do you have any idea if your server code can be converted easy enough? Or if yourself, or anyone else, has another recommendation other then SmartFox that may offer similar features?

36. Obscared Games

Obscared Games

wait so how much do you want for the engine?? and is it one time payment or overtime?? you should post this stuff in the first post dude. oh and i haven't searched around much so this could be stupid but is it possible for anything to break??

BTW really really good engine

37. Obscared Games

Obscared Games

another question, would the engine be able to hold huge models that are like 100 feet??

38. Bonfires Down

Bonfires Down

How advanced is the pathfinding in your engine? Can it handle multiple house or cave floors on top of each other? Would it be easy to integrate Aron Granbergs A* library?

39. Obscared Games

Obscared Games

once again a another question, what is your statement with having games that use your engine, being able to be modded?

oh and just looked through to page's... i feel even more in love with the engine :)

40. dyox

dyox

-No , V9 will be released in september. Thank you.

-I'm not familiar with network solutions. TerrainEngine must have a running server that will generate and send world to clients. It's in C#, if you can build and run a server it's should be ok. You can build the server win unity for target platform like linuxn or export a folder into another project and run it as C# application on window server ( it avoid to use mono of unity ...)

The pathfinding of TerrainEngine is used only to find a path into the terrain. It can't generated path on custom mesh.
    I don"t know how Aron Granbergs A* works, but most of pathfinding systems (grid) are precalculated in editor, so it's not possible to use them with TerrainEngine because terrain is generated at runtime.
    You can mix steering with TE pathfinding. So your units find a path to get closed to the target, when at correct distance, IA + steering is used to attack, hide, follow etc.

The PathFinding system is very simple to use :
    PathFinder.Find(ObjectA,ObjectB,Terrain); // It will return a list of vector3 to traversal.
    The system can be multi-threaded, delayed etc.
    You can also allocate 1ms to the process, and call :
    Path.Find(); // Each update until the path is found.
    No performance impact.

-It's not authorized to provide any TerrainEngine source code.

You must create an interface that you will provide to your users.
    This interface will communicate with TerrainEngine Code. (It's very simple and quick to create)

-It's not related to TerrainEngine.It's Unity that manage that.

-There is my email on the first post. I answer to this questions by email.
    -Yes it's possible for anything to break.
    Thank you.

41. Kaosmos

Kaosmos

Salut Dyox, c'est vraiment super ce que tu fais ça me donne presque envie de me mettre à unity :), t'as pas pensé à faire un test pour udk? quelques années que j'bosse dessus par période (coté 3D) lassé de tout les jeux de merde qui se fait j'pensais m'y remettre et je t'avoue que le potentiel des voxels me donne vraiment envie de tater un moteur 3D les gérants. Tu fais un prix pour les marseillais ? :D
    Non sans déconné je te contacterais peut être un de ces 4, en attendant laisse moi te féliciter une fois de plus!

42. Obscared Games

Obscared Games

@dyox thanks and the one before the price was before i emailed you

43. dyox

dyox

-Salut, merci beaucoup. Oui j'y pense de plus en plus a me mettre a UE4.
    Haaa un autre marseillais sur le forum ! Je suis marseillais aussi !
    Ba écoute, je suis dispo par skype ou email. Encore merci.

TerrainEngine V9 :
    Today i've worked with the exelent package from Assets Store : "PolyWorld"
    I've added the possbility to create colored world with smooth Terrain.
    And a new GameObject Batching system, that allow a lot of details :

Last edited: Jul 27, 2014
    Tethys likes this.
  44. Jyu

Jyu

Salut Dyox félicitation pour ton super travail, je serais intéressé par l'achat de TE mais j'aurais quelques questions avant

Est ce que le pathfinding marche avec le construction kit?

Dans l'une des vidéo on peux voir un arbre tomber est ce que la physique peux s'appliquer au terrain aussi, par exemple si un bout de mesh/terrain est creuser et est relier à rien est ce qu'il vol ou tombe?
    Dans ce genre là à 2:10minutes.

Quel est le nombre max théorique d' AI qui peux être utilisé simultanément sans perte de performance?

Quel feature sont prévu dans le future?

Last edited: Jul 29, 2014
  45. Herophantom

Herophantom

Does your engine support terrain physics? I know you can do floating islands, but is there native support for like if I build a tower, then take out its supports, the tower falls. If if i have a bridge and blow up a part on each side the middle falls.

Jyu likes this.
  46. dyox

dyox

No sorry and it's not planned.

47. Pupswoof117

Pupswoof117

How Do You Get It?

48. DJ_Design

DJ_Design

I believe you have to contact him in order to purchase it as he hasint released it on the asset store

49. Obscared Games

Obscared Games

is it possible to change the breaking size??

50. minecraft7089

minecraft7089

How can I purchase it, and how can I get it?