Search Unity

[TerrainEngine] Voxel Terrain : Smooth,Cubic,2D,Hexagonal Infinite Procedural Terrain

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by dyox, Mar 19, 2013.

1. ronan-thibaudau

ronan-thibaudau

I especially like the red flowers, any chance you could find where you got those?

2. ronan-thibaudau

ronan-thibaudau

Thanks for that link, lotsa nice stuff there indeed

3. dyox

dyox

@ronan : Np. Yea , there are alot of great stuff. each plants have normals+spec+translucency+HD texture. It's very great in game with shadow and correct shader.

I've made new video of games using TerrainEngine :

4. dyox

dyox

New trailer :
    -New shaders, Biome, Light, Shadows, Fluids done 100%, Memory/Terrain Optimizations.
    -16*16*16 Chunk : Rebuild : Terrain=0.08ms, Grass=0.10ms, Fluids < 0.5ms.
    -Trees/Grass LOD Optimization. Instant Billboard/LOD changes
    -Multithreaded MeshCombiner optimizations.
    -Fluids Memory optimizations. New flow calculation, New Fluids Events with Generic Scripts.
    IBlockProcessor.OnFluidFlow(Direction,Volume);
    IBlockProcessor.OnFluidCreate(Position,Volume);
    IBlockProcessor.OnFluidRemove(Position,Volume)

5. Tethys

Tethys

Booya! Awesome, as always - this is an awesome update!

6. dyox

dyox

Rev 4020 :
    -Floating System.

7. dyox

dyox

New video of fluids : -Particles, Collisions

Obscared Games likes this.
  8. dyox

dyox

New video : New Biome Generator

9. dyox

dyox

Small Game Test video :

10. dyox

dyox

TerrainEngine : Rev 4041
    -Processors Modification System.
    Processor.ModifyPoint(x,y,z,id,rotation,scale);
    Processor.Flush();

Functions used for add/remove Grass , Plants, GameObjects, Trees.
    They are generic and works with all systems.

-Wave Modificator Script. Used for generate wave on the terrain (Like special grenade or explosion)
    - Complete GUI system for modify the terrain and add Objects.

Some Screens :

Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
  11. dyox

dyox

And the new video :

12. GrumpyOldMan

GrumpyOldMan

Awesome! I've been following your progress on Terrain Engine and it gets better and better every week. Hopefully once I'm done with my current project I'll be able to finally get my hands on it.

13. GamePowerNetwork

GamePowerNetwork

Hello. A few months ago you mentioned that you would have a demo game for potential customers to test performance on their PC. I didn't see a link for it in your thread? Is the demo up?

14. Sam_Pr

Sam_Pr

I was just about to ask the same thing...

15. dyox

dyox

@Grumpy : Thank you, I work every day on it. I hope too.

@PyroStudios / Sam_Pr : I provide private demos. Just contact me by email or skype. This allows me to filter out non-serious and curious.

16. Tethys

Tethys

We will be releasing a new video soon showing off our latest build, with our game Astral Terra using his Terrain Engine, in real time, with an FPS counter to show performance. I'll post the PC specs as well when I post the video so you can see what we are running it on and how much resources it is taking. I can tell you though that it is highly optimized and being further optimized every build, and runs very well as long as you don't do something n00bish to break it. :p Cheers!

17. GamePowerNetwork

GamePowerNetwork

Thank you Dyox! Keep up the good work. I'm looking into different voxel engines for Unity ... right now I'm testing voxeland and hopefully soon I can purchase yours. I just need to save up a little money first.

But again, keep up the good work.

@Tethys: That would be AWESOME!! Please do that so we can really get a good look at performance.

18. dyox

dyox

Thank you PyroStudios. I understand.

Yes tethys , i just can"t wait so play at the game, your work is just amazing, very impressive.

Actually , i have some new features to presents :
    -New Grass Type : Leaf
    -New Surface Grass system, you can now add grass on water surface and underwater. And it's possible to add Aquatic Plants (Grass or Mesh)

Some new screens :

Of course , each Leaf/Plant can be removed or add in realtime , so it can be combined with Particles systems , Leaf falling from Trees and added to the water surface or ground.

19. Sam_Pr

Sam_Pr

Oh, I was hoping to see how the tech worked, I don't have 3k to drop on anything right now.

20. dyox

dyox

I'm working on public Demo. And also Astral Terra is preparing something too.
    I think in 15/20 days i will release it.

TerrainEngine : 5.00
    -Caves Generation system
    -3D Grass system. Underwater Grass.
    -Underwater Leaves.

-Voxel Raycasting.
    -Dynamic Multi-Threaded Occlusion/Frustrum Culling. Renderers are automatically disabled if not visible.
    -Brush Tool. Add/Remove Grass/Plants/Trees in realtime without any physics system. It's now possible to work on differents thread with custom Raycast.

-Leaves Grass :

-Dynamic Multi-threaded Occlusion system :

-Caves :

WIP : Grass/Lod/Details Occlusion Culling. Not rendered if they are hidden by the terrain.

21. Tethys

Tethys

Ooooooo Caves! Booya! Looking fantastic!

22. dyox

dyox

@Tethys : Booya :).Thank.

TerrainEngine : 5.01
    -Raycasting Optimization
    -Occlusion Algo Optimization
    -4000/5000 Chunks occluded in 20-50ms.
    -Optimized Frustrum Culling.
    -GameObjects Occlusion culling 75%
    -Draw calls/Vertices : 80/90% reduced.

Video : Realtime Occlusion Culling

23. GamePowerNetwork

GamePowerNetwork

Every update this just gets better and better!!

24. dyox

dyox

@PyroStudios : Thank you. And i hope this update is better :)

TerrainEngine : 5.1
    - 5 New Biomes
    - Caves System with GUI
    - Optimized Frustrum/Occlusion.
    - Weather Example
    - Particles Example
    - New Underwater effects

And the video :

25. Tethys

Tethys

Oh My! This is so awesome - finally mixed Biomes, that was the missing link! Wonderful! This makes Terrain Engine almost just as good as Voxel Farm - a $60,000 package! So great!!!! Also, in case anyone of you missed it I have video at the link in my signature for my latest game build using terrain engine. I get anywhere from 50-70 fps running around with about 45-50 mobs with AI in the scene as well.

26. dyox

dyox

@Tethys : Thank you. Yes, biomes make the terrain really awesome. And soon, rivers and cascades.

Astral Terra Video :

27. dyox

dyox

TerrainEngine : 5.11
    -PathFinding (Timed PathFinding system, multithreaded or not)

It's now possible to generate Path between 2 Objects, simple like that :

2 Preconfigurations :
    -Ground Units
    -Flying Units

Last edited: Aug 24, 2013
  28. dyox

dyox

TerrainEngine : V5.5
    -Optimized Occlusion
    -New Tools : Grass/Trees/Plants/Voxels

Video Test with Tropical Pack available on Asset Store :

29. dyox

dyox

TerrainEngine V60 :
    -Character System Compatible (climb, swim) "http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/143609-Character-System"
    -New LOD : Fading / Dynamic Batching
    -New Biomes : Ice / Desert / Tropical / Autumn / Forest / Caves
    -Memory Optimization : 50%. 1go memory Ultra Mode. Distance of view : 2000m
    -Loading Speed increased.
    -New GameObject Scripting System. Used by LOD , Tree Fall Script and Tree fall sound Script.

30. trudeaudm

trudeaudm

Does this have the ability to do spherical terrains for planets?

31. cofcof

cofcof

Yes i want to buy i need to raise some funds for it but where do i buy it

32. janpec

janpec

Interesting, might i ask what is difference in FPS rate between this system and default Unity terrain?

33. cofcof

cofcof

this is too all those people hating but the hexagonal engine part is not just a basic voxel engine its got item creation even this engine suite my needs perfectly of what i need so i have to do a little buffing here and there on the graphics. All good my only concern is that i need it to be tessellation shaders ready anybody know if it is.

34. Tethys

Tethys

The package comes with a bunch of different kinds of Tri-Planar shaders. I believe Tessellation effects, however, like Parallax, is tough to do with a tri-planar shader. It is something I know Dyox has looked into but can't say whether or not its coming in a future package. In regards to working in general, not specifically as a Terrain Material, they work as far as I can tell - I have Advanced Surface Shaders and Chicklords and do not have any errors from them being in the build.

35. sebas77

sebas77

I have only one question: is this terrain engine faster than the standard one? I mean MUCH faster? My current concern with Unity terrain is just about performance, especially when normal maps are used. If you terrain engine is way faster or at least noticeably faster, I would consider the idea to buy your engine.

Also, is it totally compatible with physx? What about the editor, is the editor coded inside unity3D?

About the legal terms instead: is the contract between us and you personally? Do you have a trial version? I mean 2.500 euros are quite a good amount of money, we should be able to test the engine to see if it exactly fit our purposes before to spend that money (in case for some reason the updates/support will suddenly stop)

Last edited: Sep 24, 2013
  36. dyox

dyox

@trudeaudm : No , it's actually not possible to create a spherical planet.

@janpec : Depend of your computer, and of the terrain serttings ( Grass distance, Terrain Distance, Trees Distances, Details Distance,etc...). Unity Terrain is off course more fastest.

@cofcof : Shader is Shader. Each voxel type use it own material , so you can do what you want with all terrain.

@sebas77 : No. Unity Terrain is fastest. (Normal , it's 2D terrain). Yes , TerrainEngine use unity Physics. Yes, there is a contract with Buyer/Me ID card and all informations needed. You can contact me for a demo before the purchase.

Some news from TE.

WIP : TerrainEngine V7
    -Smooth Voxel Transition.
    -Climbing Plants/Grass/Details/GameObjects option(Lianas,stalactite,etc..)
    -Automatic Trees Colliders Generation (Capsule Collider for bark)
    -New Snow Biome.
    -Occlusion Optimization (4ms for all terrain occlusion calculation)
    -New Frustum culling system (1ms for all terrain)
    -New Terrain algorithm : Surface nets. You can now switch between Marching Cubes (more details) And Surfaces nets (Less vertices/tri)
    -New Memory Optimization : 1go in Ultra mode V7 against 1.8go before in V6.
    -New multi-threaded smart pooling system.
    -New Triplanar Shader, distance based, ultra detailed.
    -New Generic scripting system, screens/video coming soon. (Shatter,plants/details physics, Ice+Fire -> Water + Temperature -> Ice, and more).

Last edited: Oct 20, 2013
  37. sebas77

sebas77

Your engine is incredibly powerful, but unluckily while we could use the extra features in future, right now we need just a more optimized terrain engine.

38. dyox

dyox

Thank you. I understand, maybe when i will implement an grid terrain algo.

New video : TerrainEngine V7

39. dyox

dyox

TerrainEngine V7.5 :
    -Dynamic MultiThreaded PathFinding.
    -Simple Event Management for Plants/Rocks/Trees. Play sound , add particles , physics,etc.. just with dragAndDrop
    -New LOD / Terrain Shaders. (Ultra detailed)
    -Example IA and Terrain Modifiers : Simple like DragAndDrop.

40. dyox

dyox

Toon Example Biome / PathFinding :

41. kenlem

kenlem

Hi Dyox,

Does the 1 license cover both rendering styles (Marching Cubes Smooth and Cubic/Hex/Minecraft) for TerrainEngine?

Also, unlimited update means a user would continue to receive updates forever as you add new features

Thanks,
    Ken

42. lazygunn

lazygunn

The technology looks really good, and obviously all sorts of possibilities there but i did notice some slightly aggressive pop-in and i don't think the art you use to represent your technology is fully doing it justice, without wanting to get down on any of you fellow's efforts. You'll sell a bunch more copies, esp at that kinda price, if the art's making it look like a classy deal, you dont have to look far to see folk making very beautiful landscapes out of the existing Unity terrain system/water systems on this forum.

I guess you would know yourself how successful this venture is and you can disregard the comment if you feel there is no merit in it i'm just suggesting that big middleware ventures tend to put some good money into making them very shiny to prospective licencees

43. dyox

dyox

@kenlem :
    Hello kenlem.
    Yes , one license cover all types of terrain (Smooth,Cubic,Hexagonal,Terraria Like).
    It's one license / studio.
    And yes , you will receive all future updates for free. And during 6 months you can cask

@Lazy : Thank , yes it's true , but each scene i've made take me 20-30 min , i just import assets, and don"t work on it. Pop-in objects are from shaders used in assets. For example , in toon demo, they are custom shaders on trees/plants that don"t allow my system to apply fade in/out. So they pop. I'm just showing the potential , i'm not artist, and i'm not expert graphically. I put assets and show the result with a minimum of works (1 hour max for create an infinite world very nice as you can see. so you can focus on your game systems).
    -It's true, but for the moment my goal is to create the better engine possible. I don"t have any website, forum , devblog or indiedb account because i don't want wast my time on that. I'm helping projects using TerrainEngine and i'm working on the engine.

44. lazygunn

lazygunn

I'm not really suggesting myself, i have way too much stuff going on, but you should maybe start some kind of promotion to get artists working with this and seeing what awesome stuff they can come up with. I dont know if you could offer a feature limited or time limited option, although obv something that couldnt be cracked, maybe daily manually created keys (assuming thousands of people dont sign up), and get some very creative people making very exciting things with all this technology. It would sell your work much much better than these videos and you can offer the prize as a license to the best result. It's worth considering because I really love this stuff that gives you so much control over your environment and it should be given proper promotion

45. ronan-thibaudau

ronan-thibaudau

Or just directly give out a single user license for free to the few very good env artist on these forums

46. franktinsley

franktinsley

Are there any examples of using this voxel system to build structures like homes, castles, dungeons etc.? I saw the video that showed normal mesh-based models of structures being placed on the voxel terrain but this is not useful for my game design. Need to know how well this system does shapes with the kinds of right-angles and flat surfaces found in buildings. Also need to know how much is there to make building structures in-game easy and fun instead of tricky and clumsy. Thanks!

47. kenlem

kenlem

Check out Dyox's other project. He's making great progress on object building.
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/204013-TerrainEngine-Free-Official-Construction-Kit-(7DTD-Like)

48. franktinsley

franktinsley

Is this due to some limitation of the infinite system? Does the infinite terrain feature not work in all axis? If terrain IS infinite in all directions then couldn't large planet-like objects be done?

49. VicToMeyeZR

VicToMeyeZR

Maybe his isn't setup and capable, but it absolutely is possible with Voxel engines.

50. dyox

dyox

The terrain is HeightMap Based. You can create a spherical planet if you create a new Generator algo, change the gravity and plants/trees/grass orientation in planet center direction. Actually the engine is not made for that , but with some works you can. And yes , the terrain is infinite in all Direction.

I've already tryed that last year with the terrain only :