Search Unity

Real Time Shadows and nav mesh Unity basic

Discussion in 'Wish List' started by thendricks, Mar 18, 2013.

1. thendricks

thendricks

No Real Time shadows on unity basic is the reason why all the famous games (REALLY FAMOUS GAMES!!!) aren't made. No one takes interest in unity because of this. It's just that it's weird how non moving objects have shadows and moving one just have a blob for a shadow, and before I knew about light mapping it was weird not having shadows at all. Shadows are also like the turning point for good graphics. The graphics on unity basic are pretty good without it but it just looks like it's suffering, without this. If your reading and your on unity pro, try turning all your shadows off for non moving objects and see how we feel.

AI isn't a major thing missing as you can get add-ons to help you with this, but all other free major engines have it and so should unity. The other options like A* and the basic path don't work as well( found this out in the 30 day trial), so it's something which should be on unity basic.

If you agree with Shadows click the link http://feedback.unity3d.com/unity/all-categories/1/hot/active/realtime-shadows-in-unity-free

If you agree with Nav mesh click this linkhttp://feedback.unity3d.com/unity/all-categories/1/hot/active/navmesh-in-unity-basic

feel free to share your thoughts:p

2. fffMalzbier

fffMalzbier

Sorry but i don't think that shadows will come to the Unity basic version... They wont be giving there big pro thing away for free.

Nav mesh maybe have a chance to be in unity 5 basic or so.

3. LaneFox

LaneFox

Either would be really great to have but its a big commercial/financial plan impact for them.

4. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

That's obviously not true in any sense, and some of the best-known games made with Unity Pro don't even use realtime shadows at all anyway, because they are 2D.

--Eric

5. thendricks

thendricks

Well look at the games made on unreal compared to unity. And unreal has cheaper licenses.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2013
  6. LaneFox

LaneFox

You're right, it must be better.

We should go use it instead.

7. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

What does that have to do with anything? If you're in a position to license Unreal Engine, you have a huge budget and can't legally use the free license of Unity anyway (if you make over $100K/year you need to license Unity Pro), so realtime shadows are a non-issue.

It doesn't; you seem to be confusing UDK with Unreal Engine, plus even with UDK the license is not necessarily cheaper. Compare the number of games made with Unity with UDK+Unreal Engine combined, and you'll see that "No one takes interest in unity" is demonstrably false.

--Eric

8. Chaosgod_Esper

Chaosgod_Esper

i agree with the shadows..
    ...cause even 3D Game Studio, Ogre3D, Irrlicht - and GAME MAKER - have realtime shadows in the free versions/basics!

I understand why Unity locked the blitting, Image Effect..etc functions for the basic edition. But - SHADOWS?! I think that´s the only great weak point unity has right now comparing to the other Engines.

9. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

So use unreal if you are wise and think that suits you :)

But you're still here aren't you. Fact is, Unity's ease of use is unbeaten and this is it's strongest feature.... not shadows and all that (which by the way, you can get on unity free if you use 3rd party assets).

10. RElam

RElam

As others have said, Unreal/UDK is NOT cheaper than Unity, unless you don't plan to make money. I feel Unity definitely has Unreal/UDK beat soundly in the bang-for-buck category.

That said, I think shadows should be available in free version. I think shadows are an important element for spatial awareness, and blob shadows are a clunky alternative in many cases. From the financial end, keep in mind Unity does have the same 'you have to buy pro when you make X dollars' license as UDK, you just don't get railed with the absurd royalty, so Unity scales better after you are making money. So regardless of what's in free version, contractually you are required to buy at X dollars, just like UDK.

Additionally, there's alot of stuff in Pro version, heck, I'd pay $1500 for the profiler alone. All the features together, it's highly unlikely, IMO, that a game that would otherwise be able to put together a visually impressive game and buy pro licenses would skimp on things like deferred renderer, render to texture, better lighting, screen effects, HDR, etc just because they have shadows and that's enough. In short, as time goes on, the argument to keep shadows out of free version becomes weaker and weaker as new visual features have been added. I would argue the lack of shadows in free pushes more people away from trying/using Unity at all than it pushes people to open their wallet for pro.