Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

iRDS - Intelligent Race Driver System Available on Asset Store

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by rhodnius, Mar 18, 2013.

?

What you prefer (features are, Transmission, differential and Engine as separate component)

Poll closed Nov 12, 2019.
  1. Release new physics at it's current state and do new stuff on next releases?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Wait for all the new stuff on physics to be implemented then do the release?

100.0%
  1. rhodnius

rhodnius

Hi Joey2250,

Our AI System simulates racing drivers on a racing environment, it won't simulate traffic drivers. Maybe we could develop another system to simulate that kind of AI in the future.

Rhod, :cool:

2. rhodnius

rhodnius

Hi App1,

Thanks for your interest on iRDS!

About the frequently made updates to iRDS, this is more due to new features included on the AI System, and this is because of new things our customers ask us to include on the system or some new features we think our clients would love to have on it, like for example, adding compatibility with UnityCar (currently under development) and adding options like decide if you want to activate respawning or not, or to have individual HUD per cars, etc.

So what this frequently updates really mean is our commitment to do our best to please our clients on their new features request, and to keep developing and getting even better the AI System for our clients. We think that there is always a better way to do things, and that is why we are constantly reviewing and working on improving our System.

If you have any other questions, we are pleased to answer them.

3. App1

App1

Thank you for your fast reply.

Will iRDS be compatible with UnityCar 2.0 LE?

Is there any possibility of including mobile-ready scenes with low-polygon count assets that one can test right away on their device?

Thanks again.

4. gringo2012

gringo2012

Mobile ready scene (apk) is really required as this would definitelly tell me if I should buy your product or not.
    I'm having some issues with Edy's VP as having more than 5 or 6 cars in the scene greatly speeds down the game. Adding an extra layer of complexity with the AI system would make it a NO NO. I made some improvements on Edy's VP and now it's almost running ok but I wonder how much your AI system would slow it down (or speed it up, if I use your AI system with your Car physics)
    So this is why I say that an APK with at least 6 low poly cars (2000 polys max per car) using your physics system and maybe 1 or 2 other demos using Edy's VP and UnityCar may proove to be a good testing tool for us.

Thanks

5. rhodnius

rhodnius

Hi App1,

Right now iRDS is not compatible with UnityCar out of the box, it will be in the next update, and would be compatible with Pro and LE.

And yes we could include a demo scene on the future updates for you to test it right away on a mobile device.

6. rhodnius

rhodnius

Hi gringo2012,

We are going to create a Mobile scene for testing purpose, so you and others could try it out and decide on buying it or not.

7. gringo2012

gringo2012

Thanks, this is great news

8. rhodnius

rhodnius

Hi Guys,

At users request we have activated the pit stop feature for Edy's VP (It would be available on the next update), and also the Get and Set methods for using it on your own script, since the AI system doesn't include the code for knowing if the Tires are worn or not for Edy's VP, and also for the fuel, so you could use those methods to just tell the AI system if the driver needs to go to the pits and then tell when the car is ready to get out the pits.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
  9. Kirienko

Kirienko

Thank you Rhod!

As a current customer I have to praise the great support of the iRDS team.

10. App1

App1

For the next version, any chances of a mobile ready scene as well as a demo for Android?

11. rhodnius

rhodnius

Hi App1,

Yes, we are going to work on mobile ready scene and Android demo.

12. rhodnius

rhodnius

Hi Guys,

We are working on the next Update, and here are the new features that are going to be available on that update:

• Per Car HUD - This is already implemented and tested
    • Race Flags - There is now a yellow flag for simulating race warning and you can now limit the racers speed on certain parts of the track or the entire track
    • Race Flags - Blue Flag is now available - When this flag is enabled, the car that has it, would let pass the cars that are lapping him.
    • Fixed some minors Bugs reported from matkonm1 and Emergki, some of this bugs were: On the final laps at the race end the standing were not showing correctly the final positions (this is fixed)
    • Improved overtaking method, now the AI tries to overtake first, instead of breaking behind
    • Implemented Fastest lap, now there is a variable that holds the fastest lap on each Car
    • Improved Braking on curves, now the AI starts breaking a little before entering the curves, giving them more control on the car
    • When pitting you can choose by script, if you want to load fuel or not, and change tires or not (also choose to change only front or rear or both) - This is implemented
    • UnityCar Compatibility, we have started this development
    • Performance improvements

13. rhodnius

rhodnius

Hi bravery,

For this next update we have also made some mods to make it possible to disable the Camera that came with iRDS and use your own code for the camera or another package, doing this, the standings (laps, position, time, and statistics) you just need to pass to the AI system the current car the camera is following, so it shows the stats for that car.

Last edited: May 13, 2013
  14. rhodnius

rhodnius

Hi Guys,

The web demos has been updated with latest version of iRDS (V1.07).

Last edited: May 18, 2013
  15. rhodnius

rhodnius

Hi guys,

We have created the apk demos for android, you can download them on the following links:

It has been tested on Samsung Galaxy S2 with and without HUD with an average FPS of 40-50 with some times reaching 60 fps, the test was done with 6 cars of about 2500 poly count, the track was made with easyroads (about 1800 poly for the track with a total length of 4.36km) and the terrain was made with T4M(terrain 4 mobile free version) with about 8100 vertices.

this demos is not playable, since the goal is to measure the AI performance.

Download Link android demo without HUD

Download Link android demo with HUD

Enjoy!

16. rhodnius

rhodnius

Hi Guys,

We are pleased to inform you that the new version has been uploaded to the asset store and it is pending review, the new features that are now included on are:

• UnityCar Compatible!
    • Added Mobile Demo Scene ready.
    • Added copy functions on the car setup for engine, gear and tire values, now you can copy those values from other cars.
    • Improved Breaking method, now the AI break earlier on entering curves.
    • Added key assignment on the player controls, so you can select the ones you have or want to use.
    • The method FlipCar is now public, so you can reset the car by scripting.
    • Corrected standings not showing correctly by the end of the race.
    • Performance improvements.
    • Implemented different race flags (yellow flag, blue flag, drive through pits).
    • Improved overtaking on straights.
    • Speed restriction with turning the yellow flag on, you can restrict the speed on some parts of the track or the entire track.
    • Added a variable that hold the fastest lap time per car.
    • Added per car HUD, you can now choose between using the global HUD and use specific HUD for a car.
    • Added new methods for applying changes on real time to car engine, gear settings, tire settings and suspension settings while in play mode. You can both, change on the inspector on the fly or by scripting in game. (please see this methods at the bottom of this document).
    • Added a menu option for creating predefined tire settings, that you can choose when setting up the cars on the inspector window, so you can have same settings for different cars easily, also those predefined tire settings are saved as prefabs under Tires folder in the resource folder, so you can access them by scripting also in play mode to have those tires as in game tires to choose from.
    • Improved Electronic Stability control (ESC).
    • Improved Help Steer.
    • Improved the air resistance script.
    • Added the variable initialPreviewOnRace on the levelload object to be able to disable the preview on race.

And there would be a lot more coming up on next updates!

Last edited: May 23, 2013
  17. Shigidy

Shigidy

I have been looking at this for awhile now. I do have some questions about it though. Could you possibly show off some of your better features, like the flag system and the pit lane in action. Also I love that this is is implemented with unity car and edy for that matter, more sales, better product. But I'm also using racing game kit, made by Yusuf. Is there any plans to make this compatible with each other. If so, with updates this would be a no brainer and buy for me.

18. rhodnius

rhodnius

Hi Shigidy.

Thanks for your comments, yes we can do that, we are going to make another web player to show off those features. About compatibility with racing game kit, i think this can be done, but are you talking about compatibility with the racing game kit car physics, am i right?

19. Shigidy

Shigidy

Well no not really just wondering if it could be compatible together pretty easily with rgk in general and how hard is it to integrate with that product and unity car physics. Also, does the ai support 3 wide racing, because I'm trying to make a "Nascar" game. If not could this possibly be a future update?

20. rhodnius

rhodnius

Hi Shigidy,

If it is having more than 2 cars side by side, am I right? well on iRDS if they fit a long other cars and they can overtake, they would go for it! so if going to overtake implies having 2 other cars or more on the side, they would do it.

Last edited: May 24, 2013
  21. rhodnius

rhodnius

Hi Guys,

Here is a video tutorial and showcase on how fast you can build a racetrack from scratch with iRDS.

Enjoy!

Rhod :cool:

22. Shigidy

Shigidy

Just recently bought, can't wait to get it working with the pits and cautions :)

23. rhodnius

rhodnius

Hi Shigidy,

Please PM me the invoice number, to send you the last version 1.07.6 which is not yet live on asset store, it is still in aasetstore admin review.

Rhod,

24. Shigidy

Shigidy

25. gringo2012

gringo2012

Thanks for the APKs. So i downloaded and tested the 2 apks on a Galaxy S3

The cars are all black (maybe you should use a mobile shader, mobile diffuse bundled in unity should be enough for testing purposes).
    Sky is almost black, looks like colors are inverted. Again, maybe you're not using a decent mobile shader for it.

Performance seems to be kinda low with 6 cars. I get between 15-23 fps max. Maybe it's the shaders. I'll retry it when you change them but I guess after when I'll need to change the default shaders with some more advanced ones (to give a bit of detail) it will still bring the fps down to 20 max, and I still have a bit more detailed race tracks than the simple one you used.

What is "Digital Input" supposed to do. Is there any way we can change the car we are chasing? Like in the desktop demo?

26. rhodnius

rhodnius

Hi gringo2012,

It has to be the shaders, since we tested on a lower device (galaxy s2) and it performed at an average of 40 fps, we would change the shaders so you could try again.

Rhod,

Last edited: May 28, 2013
  27. rhodnius

rhodnius

Hi Guys,

IRDS V1.07.6 is now available on asset store! with UnityCar compatibility.

28. rhodnius

rhodnius

Hi gringo2012,

We have updated the APK and used the mobile shaders that came with unity, please try again and let me know how it went, we tested it on Galaxy S2 and went ok at an average of 40 fps.

29. gringo2012

gringo2012

Thanks for the update rhodnius

I did redownload and checked it, graphics are ok now, but the fps is very low. I get between 3 to 8 FPS on most of the track and on some very rare ocassions I also get upto 20 FPS but never more.

30. rhodnius

rhodnius

Hi gringo2012,

Thanks for taking the time to test those, so you got now lower fps :eek: , is weird, since we just changed the shaders, we have tested it also on a Galaxy S advance at an average of 38 to 40 fps and on a Galaxy S3 at an average of 40 fps, we would try again with another graphics setup, so you could test it. Also we are going to record the test videos so you guys could also see the results.

Is any body else tested those APKs? if so would you please write some feedback to see how it works on other Android phones, this would help us a lot to achieve a good demo for Android. Thanks!

Rhod,:cool:

31. radimoto

radimoto

Hi Rhod,

I have purchased iRDS today and have a couple of questions:

In the MobileScene I can see three terrains - TerrainBK1, TerrainBK1 (not enabled), and TerrainBK2 (also not enabled).
    TerrainBK1 is missing a script, and is also missing it's shader. The same goes for MobileTerrain3 (missing script and missing shader).

Also can you please advise if the source code version is (or will be) for sale and at what additional price?

32. rhodnius

rhodnius

Hi radimoto,

Please send me on a PM or to my e-mail rhodnius@hotmail.com or rhodnius39@gmail.com the invoice #, and i would send you those corrected.

About the source code version, for now we don't have a fixed date for the source code version.

Thanks for your purchase and please contact me if you have any questions or anything we can do for you.

Rhod.

33. radimoto

radimoto

Hi Rhod,

I have a feature request for AI for rally driving stages.

This would be a "sprint" type stage with only a start and a finish. The Player and AI cars would be starting on an interval (such as 2 minutes). When the player starts any AI cars in front would already be racing in the stage.

The player would have the opportunity to overtake other cars in stage (if they catch them) and also with human error the AI should also be able to go off stage, again making an opportunity for the player to catch them.

With the different skill levels of the AI a calculation would be required to start them at 2 minute +/- their skill/error level into the stage.

Finally any AI players behind the Player when he finishes would need to just have their stage time automatically calculated.

34. rhodnius

rhodnius

Hi radimoto,

some of this features are already included on the System, here are the answers:

Sprint tracks can be done by deselecting the closed tracks option on the general settings, for starting at intervals you can disable the IRDSCarControllerAI script at the beginning of the race on the Start() method, and then gradually enabling it by intervals. When you enable it for a specific car, you then have to set the starting time for that car using the method SetStartTime(float time) from the same class(IRDSCarControllerAI).

For the human error, this is possible, and in the system you have already a variable called Human Error which makes random values to appear on the AI drivers for them to make mistakes.

You can hold them up a bit longer depending on their time for the last race maybe?

You can randomly assign the total race time by using the method SetTotalTime(float time) and SetLap(int lap) on the class IRDSCarControlerAI, you assign first the total time, then set the lap to a higher value than the total lap, this would make the AI System to know that the car has finished the race, no matter if it really crossed the finish line or not.

Hope this help, and if you have any question we are pleased to answer them.

Rhod,

Last edited: Jun 10, 2013
  35. rhodnius

rhodnius

New features (already implemented) for the Version 1.08:

• Disable Camera Follow During start of the race Delay Time
    • Delay Time Between Scene Load and Game Start
    • Change Left and Right Track Limits and Widths independently
    • Functions to Get Player Audio Sources
    • Customizable GUI through Array (Add new labels and Textures)
    • Change the count down number
    • Zooming values min and max for camera road camera mode
    • Better loading performance of the levels, the heavy calculations are made now on edit mode.
    • ThreeWide Racing Style
    • Add Methods to let know if the AI is overtaking or avoiding others
    • Improve Overtake and obstacle avoidance
    • Improve Ramming issue on collisinbrakeprevention
    • Camera views, stay on same point when changing vehicle
    • Make methods for laptime that returns the string
    • Add static friction to the car physics
    • Add clutch feature to the car engines
    • Add start engine option, automatic or manual
    • Add sound effect for starting the engine
    • Add volume multipliers to all the sound effects of the car
    • Add tire bump sound effects
    • Make the skidmark and skid smoke to be tweakable their threshholds
    • Add method to change camera target by instance ID of IRDSCarControllerInput
    • Change camera target by position order
    • Add variable "wrong Way" to know if the player cars is going backwards
    • Add a multiplier to the fuelconsuption

Also we added the following new features:

• Add wind sound effect
    • Add break squeak sound effect
    • Add Scratch sound effect
    • Add grass sound effect
    • Add pitch min and max variables available for setting up for all sounds effects that required pitch
    • Add scratch visual effect (sparks)

The next Version 1.08 is almost ready to be released!

Last edited: Jun 17, 2013
  36. Tomji

Tomji

Since there wasn't much feedback on the android APK demo, I'll share mine.
    On Galaxy Note 2, getting constant 60FPS, no matter which camera. The only (polishing) negative feedback is that the Forrest background drawing distance should likely be increased a little as the Forrest gets drawn in and distracts from the overall experience.

37. rhodnius

rhodnius

Thanks Tomji for your comments!

We are going to increase the drawing distance to improve the experience.

Thanks again.

Rhod,

38. rhodnius

rhodnius

Hi Guys,

We are working on some improvements on the obstacle avoidance feature of iRDS, this is a video for you to see the improvements:

39. emergki

emergki

Hi Guys,

Today I'm here to present our almost finished game called Heavy Truck Racing. we are still creating a website for this and, finishing some things in the Career Mode. The game has 25 Trucks to you choose from. The game will be release in some days. The game uses the Awesome iRDS (Intelligent Race Driver System) system for the AI

Hope you Like. Follow some pictures of the game running.

40. rhodnius

rhodnius

Last edited: Jul 12, 2013
  41. rhodnius

rhodnius

Hi Guys,

iRDS Version 1.08.7.6 is up on the asset store now.

Rhod,

42. pinchmass

pinchmass

Hi purchased iRDS last night and had a play this afternoon, at first I was having a few problems but I just realised to add the track material and put the driver setting in.

All good lots of cars wizzing around my track (in just a few hours)
    So thumbs up from me (just dont drop the price after I saved up for it)

only question I have / bit of feedback / a bug

When I add a way point or centre of track waypoint by shift and right click I almost every time get 2 waypoints added (did'nt twig at first) this was making the path have little loops in it.

is this just me ? (I'v basically just gone along the waypoints deleting the duplicates)

43. rhodnius

rhodnius

Hi pinchmass,

Thanks for your purchase!
    We are going to review what you just have comment on, since we got yesterday one other person who also experienced that on his project, but no one else has told us about it, so thanks a lot for the feedback, and we are going to work on that right away.

Rhod,

44. rhodnius

rhodnius

Hello Guys,

We have found the issue of duplicates markers when holding shift and right clicking with the mouse on the scene view and already solved it, it would be available on the next update.

Rhod,

45. pinchmass

pinchmass

thats what I like to see (not even 24 hrs later)

46. pinchmass

pinchmass

Just few more question, by the way loving the framework, joy not to have to edit loads of code to get it working.
    So I'm on day to and made a few track and a few questions, is their a way to set the track width for multiple waypoints , or when you start adding the waypoints.

and bit of and odd one (I make a long track that passes under itself) cars find their way around fine but at the start they are facing the wrong direction (just wondered if that had popped up with any one.

look forward to the update, keep up the good work

47. rhodnius

rhodnius

Hi pinchmass,

Yes, you can set the width individually for each marker, just select the marker under trackcentercontainer object inside the IRDSManager and on the inspector you would see three options, one is the width, that would change the width for both sides of the track on that marker, and the other two is left and right offsets, which can make the left or right more wide or not.

Here is a screenshot of how it looks on the inspector:

$TrackWidth.png

About the cars starting facing the wrong direction, we are going to check that, but for now, you can just rotate the grid positions markers, so that the Z axis is facing the same direction of the racingline waypoints. The cars are instantiated on the same position and rotation of the grid markers (these are on the racetrackpositions object insde IRDSManager).

If you need anything else, we are glad to answer,

Rhod,

48. rhodnius

rhodnius

Hi pinchmass,

One question, when you added the grid positions to your track, did you already had there the racingline? the systems puts the grid positions markers aligned to the racing line, but if there isn't a racing line when you are adding the grid points they wont be rotated accordingly, since it can't find the racing line, so first you should add the racing line and then you can add the grid positions, they should get then the correct rotation.

Rhod,

49. rhodnius

rhodnius

Hi Guys,

We checked the issue on the Grid positions and find that it is working ok, but only if the racing line is set first, so we just added a check to see if the racing line is already setup, and if not, the system opens up a dialog message letting you know why you can't add the grids and auto selects the add the racing line option, this way this could be avoided to happen.

Thanks pinchmass for the feedback!

Rhod,

50. pinchmass

pinchmass

yep all working now your a star (and correct about my workflow)

quickone, before I was asking about changing the track width for multiple waypoints at once not individually is this possible ?