Search Unity

Inferno Tech Demo #2 (Sci-Fi RTS style)

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by JamesLeeNZ, Mar 18, 2013.

1. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

Been a while since I posted a video showing progress...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkcj9PQFJak

Updates include some actual gameplay. hah... the AI now has objectives. Its still pretty dumb, but for testing purposes its all good. Still HEAPS to go, but thats just how it is!

Currently have 5 AI bots standing in each base building units and sending them out into the field. ATM they are just randomly choosing a vehicle from a list and directing it into the field. Later they will be more analytical of what vehicles are currently doing what and send counter attacks out.

100 FPS on my machine with around 25 vehicles in play, which i'm happy with. Maximum will be 50 vehicles at a time, but with kill rates, the number never seems to get that high. Not everything is pooled/optimized so theres still room for improvement.

Thanks for watching.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
    frosted likes this.
  2. LaneFox

LaneFox

Looks like a really solid build! Definitely watching this one.

3. AndrewSalfinger

AndrewSalfinger

Oh wow, this looks amazing and love the art style, the gam play looks really well made and fun to play can't wait to see more. Keep up the great work.

4. Ethaninja

Ethaninja

This looks great! I like the blend of Warhammer 40k meets Command and Conquer ;D

5. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

Thanks for the positive comments guys! Helps me keep on track :)

6. Archania

Archania

Looking great. The colors you are using for the terrain is fantastic. Keep it up.

7. BigB

BigB

I would lower the color saturation a lot, it hurts the eyes

8. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

Youre the first person to not like the colors, but thanks for the feedback anyway.

It will depend on what I can do with the maps tbh. ATM its all just placeholder stuff. Im a coder, not a designer ;)

9. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

Playing with the HUD for vehicle purchases...

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 10, 2013
  10. magarcan

magarcan

Looks fantastic but would be nice to see how it works in a Web Player demo :)

11. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

I have considered doing web-players, but it never works out too well.

Its only concept atm so thats not an in-game shot (except the rotating middle disc with a vehicle on top). All the green stuff was done in photoshop.

Shouldnt be too hard to get it in game though.

12. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

13. NikoBusiness

NikoBusiness

great project! very nice GL

14. ObsoleteAccount

ObsoleteAccount

I actually really like the colors. I'm not sure why but I find them really appealing.

15. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

Thanks guys!

I really liked the over the top color when I first discovered it. As much as I love realistic looking games, I find I prefer a bit of extra color

16. Redz0ne

Redz0ne

This is really something! I love the audio on the second video, that theme totally works with what you showed!

Keep at it, bro!

17. Gorlog

Gorlog

this is a 3drt com models right?

18. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

Cheers mate. Feels like heavy metal/rock is the best theme for the game

yep!

19. MHD-Salka

MHD-Salka

I'm the second person here that doesn't like the background colors :) try using a better color grading... other than that the game looks great

20. FrankStarsKo

FrankStarsKo

are you using toon shaders on the screenshots?

both ways are ok, youtube and these screenshots

but i kind of like more the one on the screenshots. :D

21. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

+1 (or should I say -1) for the colouring, as for the game itself... any new updates?

22. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

The super high colour saturation is from the bloom settings currently in use. Ill probably tweak it a bunch more, or make it user configurable at some point.

As for progress, not much tbh. The game has progressed from what that video was, however most of the improvements have been architectural, so you cant really appreciate them. Im too obsessed with the GC and getting rid of un-nessesary allocations. I also spent a bunch of time making it so that my scenes could be constructed from resources. Also spent time bug fixing little things that wernt quite working correctly.

I have this tendency to load it up, play it for 20-30 mins, then go do something else - despite the fact there's no objective.. I do love watching what the AI does though. Always awesome when you see a vehicle racing around to a quiet node to capture it.

Need to get on with it tbh.

23. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

removed.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2014
  24. Velo222

Velo222

Very nicely done James, looks like quite a bit of work. It's nice to see someone doing an RTS :) I am attempting to make an RTS using Unity as well right now, and I'm pretty far along in it at this point. So, I'd love to hear how you implement multiplayer into your game, if you havn't already. Also, if you get a working multiplayer solution, would you mind maybe putting it on the asset store for people to purchase -- or look at somehow?

I think one of the biggest hurdles in my game would be multiplayer.

Your game looks really good at this point, keep up the good work. There's one ground texture in particular that I like, and it looks better than all the rest, and that's the dirt/brick texture, kind of like brick sticking out it looks like. Very nice texture.

25. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

Thanks Velo. Its definitely been a lot of work.

This is not a traditional RTS in the sense that you will be building an entire armada, selecting multiple units and giving them direction. Im trying to take a chunk of the that style away from the player.

The player wont be involved with building construction or resource gathering, however they will influence it. I wont go into too many details there. Instead the intention is that each player, most likely 5v5 will be able to build there own small squad. Probably a max of 5 vehicles each. They will control those vehicles more in the traditional RTS way. Send unit here, guard this area, follow player around etc.

As for multiplayer, I will most likely be using uLink. I wont be using the lockstep approach to RTS either, as I dont feel there is a real need to follow the pattern based on the style of gameplay im going for.

I think most of the textures Ive used for the terrain can be found in standard Unity packs. Maybe check the Unity terrain pack thats available in the asset store. There are a few extra ones Ive paid for though (mainly the rock/cliff stuff).

Thanks for playing though. Nice to hear a bit of feedback about it.

How was the performance for you btw?

26. Velo222

Velo222

That's cool. Well even if you aren't doing a traditional style rts, I'd still be interested in knowing how you do multiplayer lol.

So, I played your game for a little bit, and I was getting mainly 34-36 fps with it running on "fantastic" quality. I'm running an AMD quad-core 3.1 ghz with 6 GB ram, windows 7, Radeon HD 4850 graphics card. So, I don't have the best computer exactly, but it's not too bad. Your art/textures/models remind me a lot of Borderlands :) It was pretty fun, although to be honest, sci-fi isn't really my favorite "genre". There's some fun in there though, and I think with more of a fleshed out game, you'll have a pretty good game on your hands.

I might have time to play it a little more later. Well hope that might give you some more feedback.

27. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

Thanks for letting me know how it runs.

I had to remove all the lower graphics settings as everything that involved some sort of transparent shader didnt display. I assume it was compiling out shaders or something.

That sort of stuff will get fine tuned later.

Cheers for playing though.

28. TOBII_Rickard

TOBII_Rickard

Are you still working on this? :)

29. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

Havnt done anything on it for a while now. Doing some side mobile games until U5 comes out.

30. TOBII_Rickard

TOBII_Rickard

Ok, I really like the game concept, it reminds me of the old genre FPS(third person in this case)/RTS games such as Dungeon keeper. I'll definitly keep an eye on this.

31. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

Thanks mate.

I'm definitely keen to see this through to the end having invested so much time in it.

randomperson42 likes this.
  32. TOBII_Rickard

TOBII_Rickard

33. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

interesting plugin, however I dont really have a need for eye tracking.

34. TOBII_Rickard

TOBII_Rickard

Fair enough, anyways, subbed to thread - i hope you'll complete it!

35. Epictickle

Epictickle

Game looks almost exactly like a reskinned version of a game called Command and Conquer: Renegade. Used to play the crap out of that game. Hopefully this game will pick up on the areas that Renegade needed improvements on.

36. zenGarden

zenGarden

cool it looks like the revival of some old shcool games.
    How do you do to make so much games in so short time ? Have you a team ?

37. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

LOL zen..

Ive been working on this game for a few years (less as years went by). This was the first game I started building in Unity when I started (well after mucking around with a few tutorials etc) however, when it first started, it was gonna be a mobile game that was much simpler. I got bored and turned it into a PC game... which is still not finished (and still requires a few months full time dev)..

Ive completed 2 games since I started doing game dev.. one was years ago (first foray into ios dev), 2nd was the recent release (hardkour). I do this in my spare time (like most), so its all slow going and by myself.

@Epictickle - yep, big C&C Generals fan, and played renegade for a bit back in the day. The game will be somewhere between those two.

38. zenGarden

zenGarden

Oh sorry. Anyway as one man game that's more games than me; so you're doing great :)

39. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

All good :_).. thanks for taking a look anyway.

40. Billy4184

Billy4184

Looks great to me! I like the colors (not sure how its possible but they fit together :D) but I would use cleaner terrain textures, something like what I've always admired in starcraft
    E.g., where you're shooting at the truck those blackish patches make it look a bit messy.
    Looking forward to seeing more!

41. Ironmax

Ironmax

Looks like a first time project with asset from asset store. To dark, blurry carnival colours . Where is the RTS ? I dont see it, just objects moving around randomly.

42. Gerald Tyler

Gerald Tyler

I do find the color choice interesting, but keep in mind our fellow colorblind gamers. Wouldn't want people wanting into lava thinking they'll be stepping onto grass now :p

I would love to see an animation for the player turning left and right. Also an aiming reticule for the flying vehicle would be nice.

I enjoyed how merely colliding the character into the aerial vehicle allowed you to enter it and take control of it.

I am confused on what exactly is the RTS aspect of it. Are the bases just going to build automatically? If so, then it's really more of a lane defense game

Ironmax likes this.
  43. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

The above is quite out of date, although the colors are still bright and in your face. I dont reallly care much if people arnt into the colors. Colorblind-ness may be an issue, but ill worry about that later.

This is not your traditional RTS. Its actually more of a MOBA with rts-ish origins. Im not sure how you would come to a Lane Defense comparison though. There is no lane to follow. It will be 5v5 players, with 5 vehicles each. You will be capturing points around the map to generate cash, so you can buy the vehicles. Think of it as more like C&C renegade. You buy your 5 vehicles, set them to go to a point in the map and do there thing, at any time you can take over a vehicle and fly/drive.

While you can target a vehicle, all aiming is automatic.

There will no longer be a soldier in the game either (for the time being). It will most likely be a paid expansion or V2.

44. AlanMattano

AlanMattano

Nice game
    The colors are grate. There is exoplanet air feeling in the mountains but not in the air itself over the mountains looking the sky . The air in horizon must be more like the color of back mountains. Congratulations!

45. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

Cheers Alan. I should really put this on greenlight... soon I think.

46. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Keep at it James -
    I just dropped an honest Hardkour review on the apple store since you have hinted at the number of 1 star reviews you've received. Not trying to pad the ratings, it's brutally honest! ;)

Though I'm not a C&C rts fan - I like playing single player rts (weirdo) - the subtle floaty ship attitude is appealing and reminds me of how the drop ship maneuvered on Aliens - which is to say - very believable, with a slight drifting effect that makes it look under control, but ever so subtle of out of control.
    Would like to see you gain some time to work on this some more when your other projects have been completed.

McMayhem likes this.
  47. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

First of three promo videos for incoming greenlight submission.

48. Billy4184

Billy4184

I like a lot of things about it, but the splat maps don't make any sense, they seem to be random and really interfere with the scene. Grass and lava right next to eachother? I'd just go for rock or baked earth (some reddish/grey color), and lava.

Other than that, I'm looking forward to seeing how the vehicle combat works out, at the moment it's kind of hard to tell what depth it's going to have.

Good luck!

49. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

Hah, yeah there are a few things that dont make a lot of sense.. helicopters in space anyone?

Youre right that grass and lava arnt good friends. Assuming its grass of course. It is green!

Promo #2

Billy4184 likes this.
  50. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ