Search Unity

BuildR 1.0 - Create buildings within Unity

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by jasperstocker, Mar 18, 2013.

1. jasperstocker

jasperstocker

Last edited: May 19, 2020
  2. ogier

ogier

Wow excellent!! I looked at the video of presentation and the tutorial, I do not see for what we could ask furthermore!

Put some screenshots in your first post, it will tempt many more persons to look at your asset!
    And it is really worth it I think

Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
  3. Ecocide

Ecocide

Yes, indeed! It looks very smooth and easy on the tutorial and you described it very well, too.
    I will probably purchase this at the end of the month! However, to be honest, a price of 100 dollars (without the discount) seems to be a bit too much as you are already talking about increasing the price as more features will be added.

4. unitylover2012

unitylover2012

Hi does this asset allow creation of interiors to?

Thanks

5. jasperstocker

jasperstocker

@ogier - that's a good idea - thanks!

@unitylover2012 - I'm not planning on doing interior creation - I think this will remain an external only generator
    (Update: interior generation was added with version 1.0!)

Last edited: Oct 22, 2013
  6. sefou

sefou

An big oblivion .

Last edited: Mar 19, 2013
  7. jasperstocker

jasperstocker

Erm, what?
    Am I missing a cultural reference here or something..?

8. napster

napster

Nice extension kit, Btw how many various buildings are there in the kit what are the texture sizes used

9. jasperstocker

jasperstocker

Thanks. I include three examples at the moment (the attached screenshots) but it's open to making what you want. The included textures are mostly 1024*1024, with some doors and windows being smaller. BuildR is completely open for you to use your own textures though and supports anything up to 4096 like Unity3D.

10. atmuc

atmuc

on edit i want to hide wireframe of mesh.

EditorUtility.SetSelectedWireframeHidden (h.renderer, true);

works for other meshes but does not work for buildingr procedural meshes. can you check it?

11. jasperstocker

jasperstocker

Hi atmuc,
    Sorry for the delay in replying - I need to set up an email notification for this thread!
    It works I think
    Add this to OnSceneGUI method of BuildrEditModeEditor
    EditorUtility.SetSelectedWireframeHidden(editMode.model.renderer, true);
    I'll look to add that as an option in the BuildR GUI - it's a good idea...

12. atmuc

atmuc

thanks. i build my first building very fast and easy. when do you plan to add door to building?

it would be faster to enter floor count and floor height. using roof position is not easy to use.

i get following error on lightmap generation. can you check it?

Primary UV set on is incorrect and the secondary UV set is missing. Lightmapper needs UVs inside the [0,1]x[0,1] range. Skipping this mesh...
    Choose the 'Generate Lightmap UVs' option in the Mesh Import Settings or provide proper UVs for lightmapping from your 3D modelling app.
    UnityEditor.DockArea:OnGUI()

Last edited: Mar 27, 2013
  13. wccrawford

wccrawford

Does this work at runtime, too? Or just in the editor?

Edit: Ahh, just found that in the FAQ. If you get it working at runtime, I could see myself buying this for sure!

14. jasperstocker

jasperstocker

Hey atmuc,
    Thanks for your feedback. I'm close to completing the next patch but it doesn't include doors. They are planned for the next patch. Do you have any specific needs for how doors are created. I was thinking it would be similar to windows in that you choose a height, width and depth. You would also choose a position based on the percentage from left to right on the facade design. It would block out the windows conflicting with it. Any feedback could change it to work how you want it to at this point...

I'll look to add a height value box so you can enter this as well as the in scene arrows.

Regarding the lightmapping - thanks. I didn't know lightmaps needed uvs in the 0-1 range. I'll look into providing fixes/workflows for this but essentially the packed models would only work with lightmapping right now...

Jasper

15. atmuc

atmuc

this is my suggestion;

each facade there should be an item array. an item can be door, window, building probe like flag, gargoyle, sculpt. an item has these parameters;
    (left, right, upper, lower) pad amount or alignment(top,center, bottom,, repeat count (0 is fill the rest) think like html table. it is hard to sync all rows so do not try to implement it. we can adjust column sync. i can add 2 windows, a door, 3 windows for the first floor, then i can add 6 windows to the second floor. i can set padding and cause all windows on a column.

16. Linus

Linus

Great product. And it really is as simple as simple to use as it looks

Looking forward to the updates as well

17. jasperstocker

jasperstocker

0.6 Release coming shortly
    Price will be going up so buy 0.5 now to save yourself some money!
    Scrap that - it only took about 30 minutes to get through the sub process!! 0.6 is live!

Release notes
    Export buildings to FBX now available!
    Export simple building colliders
    Can export to a prefab now
    Export GUI/Function improved
    Floorplan volume editing can now merge and split volumes
    Minor bugfixes and changes

@atmuc - thanks, that's great feedback.

@Linus - thanks! Awesome. Don't forget you leave a review!

Last edited: Apr 3, 2013
  18. brokan3

brokan3

Cleaning up leaked objects in scene since no game object, component or manager is referencing them
    Material has been leaked 1 times.
    Mesh has been leaked 1 times.

Shader wants tangents, but the mesh doesn't have them
    UnityEditor.DockArea:OnGUI()

It show this 2 warning, anybody can help me? thx
    I am using unity 4.1.3

19. brokan3

brokan3

I think the problem is when i use normal map inside your plugin.
    It will show this two warning

Last edited: Jun 2, 2013
  20. PolyMad

PolyMad

21. ronan-thibaudau

ronan-thibaudau

Custom license = no go for me (also you should change it, as it is there is no license at all as the custom licenses are "instead of" and not "on top of" the asset store license, so you put a restriction and nothing else which means you're currently not licensing for any use at all).
    I suggest you get someone to do custom textures and include those instead to go back to the standard asset store license.

22. brokan3

brokan3

i have not use his texture.
    i don't know why he not use the free substance for the texture.Result maybe better

23. atmuc

atmuc

@jasperstocker have you tried to build project for webplayer target? you used "using UnityEditor;" in your runtime classes. it cause build error. it is ok for standalone.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2013
  24. blackant

blackant

looking this project updates.

25. blackant

blackant

made some test, this plugin will be a strong value

for now i'm having a little bugg here:

[video=youtube_share;4N_aQ4wbf0M]http://youtu.be/4N_aQ4wbf0M

26. jasperstocker

jasperstocker

Hi guys - sorry for a late response - I check the forum maybe once a week but I thought I would get notifications if this thread was updated! Damn.
    Email is always the better option to communicate bugs to me if you want them fixed fast.

@ronan.thibaudau - the custom license only applies to the textures and not the package, but I will update the license file to make this totally clear.

@atmuc - will look into this ASAP! Thanks for the heads up.

@blackant - that bug has been fixed and will be coming out hopefully by the end of the week with 0.9.

27. im

im

hi

im interested

can this be used to create the exterior of a building that has opened windows/door and then use some other tool to create the interior?

thanks in advance!

28. jasperstocker

jasperstocker

BuildR 0.9 is out!
    The above issues made it into the fix list - yay.

Changes:
    NEW - Building Details - add additional/custom models to buildings
    One click building generation options expanded
    65K+ models supported
    Unity 3.5 support dropped

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/#/content/7292/

29. im

im

hi congrats on the new release and much luck with it! very exciting.

im very interested please answer my question

all im interested in knowing is whether holes can be left for windows and door that players can use to go in and out through them and then can some other tool be used to create the interiors like

thanks in advanced

Last edited: Aug 2, 2013
  30. im

im

since it was on sale i went out and bought it and i'm having problems

also the release is a bit buggy

undo is broken, the whole building disappears! not the value u just changed!

add something like some detail and pressing del on it to delete it often deletes the whole building

also when adding a door it does not show! the detail0 is there with the texture but the door does not display!

and in Building Details when i select a texture and pick some search so you dont have to go through the whole list you get

also when I click on "Please Detail with Mouse" i get

ive setup the mesh and the texture for my detail and put all the rest of the stuff

then when i click on "Cancel Place Detail"

I also get the error!

I looked at your source code and details is null in line 408 of BuilderEditMode.cs!

one thing that is interesting it did not put the detail, but i did a save of the scene and closed and opened the project and the detail was placed where i had clicked on the facade! so its somethings strange!

Last edited: Aug 2, 2013
  31. im

im

more on doors and windows opening

i would be nice to have way to have open windows and doors! even perhaps an opening on roof...

also please in addition to the above add an option to model both sides so that textures like doors, windows, roofs and walls will show on both the outside and the inside.

that way although u are not doing interiors per say you are making a building that players can go in and out of.

then they can use some other program to handle the insides.

so basically what i'm asking is for like ability to specify no window and it would leave a hole and the same for door and.

also would be nice to have floors generated and specify textures for ceiling and floor and perhaps even where opening should be.

that way its a matter of picking some stairs, elevators. ect.

perhaps it would be nice to specify stairs too.

also nice to be able to pick for each floor a layout model from model created in other program.. sort of like u do air conditionings

all that is not that hard to do with the current code and would greatly increase the value of the tool.

32. BuildABurgerBurg

BuildABurgerBurg

Yes I agree with im on this.

I think a basic interior would be great here, not furniture though just the ability to walk inside the building. I think by doing this you will open your product to fps developers here and there are many of them in this community.

I purchased this product even though I don't have a use for it yet. But I know I will in future projects.

it's not often I see asset developers doing things properly, so well done!!

great website
    great tutorial
    great product
    and fantastic price

33. jasperstocker

jasperstocker

@im I'll take a look at those bugs as a matter of priority.
    I think it would be great to add the basic interiors of buildings to it, I'll look into that.

@MoHoe, THANKS! Though I do need to do an update to the tutorial video, it's a bit out of date now...

34. John-G

John-G

Bought this in the hope that one day basic interiors will be possible with door and window cutouts (that can be added and animated in 3rd party packages) to create FPS buildings faster. :p

35. OhiraKyou

OhiraKyou

Vertex color options for building parts would be useful, both for minimalistic designs and color differentiation using the same texture.

36. ZigMarch

ZigMarch

BuildR is great product!
    but It is difficult to edit an exact dimensions in floorplan...
    I need snap or numeric input mode.

37. jasperstocker

jasperstocker

@ZigMarch, would you just want an option to snap to the nearest metre? Or select a grid size?

@OhiraKyou, sounds interesting but I'm not sure how that would work. There are a lot of verticies!

38. OhiraKyou

OhiraKyou

Yeah, I have no idea. Are the colors set in the texture tab lost when generating lower LODs, or are they baked into the low-detail texture?

39. ZigMarch

ZigMarch

Either one is okay! If I had to choose,My choice is select a grid size.

40. ZigMarch

ZigMarch

Exported XML file can’t hold facade design style.
    It looks like a bug.

$bugreport.jpg

41. jasperstocker

jasperstocker

@ZigmMarch, I'll take a look at the pronto - a new version is already in the approval queue though with your grid request :eek:)

42. ZigMarch

ZigMarch

I'm grateful for your response! :D

43. dev_2051

dev_2051

HI,
    Thanks for this awesome product :)
    I was trying to create some sci-fi buildings using BuildR.Ran into couple of doubts:
    1>Can i give round/chamfer to the building corners,instead of sharp corners?
    2>Can i design my own roof design,apart from the existing ones?

Cheers.

44. jasperstocker

jasperstocker

Hi @dev_2051, at the moment there are no options like that for building corners but I'll add it to my list, it would be nice to have them.
    Building roofs are completely generated by code so I'd say your best option is to select a flat roof and then add your own one from a modelling package.

Jasper

45. BES

BES

Hey ..running into a problem ...I have a lot of assets installed already on my Unity project ...so those might be causing my error...but I got this error as soon as I imported Buildr:

Code (csharp):
    1. BuildrEditModeDetails.cs(111,23): error CS0117: 'Tools' does not contain a definition for 'current'
    I am not good with C# yet ...so is there a way around this error?

Last edited: Sep 3, 2013
  46. BES

BES

Well... im not sure if I broke it or not ..but I got rid of the error by adding
    Code (csharp):
    1. UnityEditor.Tools.current
    ...a fix from another asset I have ... hope I didn't break it... there are no errors though.

47. jasperstocker

jasperstocker

@BES that looks like you have another script in your project that uses the keyword tools which the UnityEngine also uses. You've found a perfectly good solution but it's not an error with BuildR. Just remember that you edited that script if and when you update BuildR - else it will come back :eek:)

48. Lord-Simpson

Lord-Simpson

Hi,
    Bought this a day or so ago and its great, couple of things though. I tried to build a skyscraper (30m by 30m by ~70*5m floors), the model displayed fine but when I tried to export the model it took so long (30mins for a few percent) I had to cancel it.

Could it be possible to make the buildings into prefabs with out having to export them (drag the building+editor into an assets folder), currently if you do this it causes a bunch of errors and nothing is displayed when you drag the prefab back into the scene.

Finally could there be a feature to store all the different facade styles globally so when making a new building I can just pull in the door/window/etc facade and just make a few small tweaks to fit the new building/textures.

Thanks for any help

49. jasperstocker

jasperstocker

Dear Lord Simpson,
    Could you email me with the errors you're receiving - it sounds like a bug - it should not be taking 30 minutes - more like 3 seconds to export a model. Based on the detail I have, I don't know if I could find the issue. Also, the forum is the worst place to contact me - my email is by far the best way to get support from me.
    I don't think making everything global would be a good idea but it sounds like just being able to clone the building would be beneficial. I'll look into that.

Jasper

50. chelnok

chelnok

Hi, if i buy a lite version and later want full version, is it like upgrade price or full price?

Just in case you didnt know, but you can get email notification via Thread Tools > Subscribe to this Thread…