Search Unity

[Updated] Daedalus - Random Dungeon Generator for Unity

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by AXXE78, Mar 15, 2013.

1. CaptainChristian

CaptainChristian

If the codebase itself is mostly done, I'd be happy to get my hands on it.

Thank you.

2. StayThirsty

StayThirsty

removed

Last edited: May 29, 2022
  3. chartreusemango

chartreusemango

Hi,

I'm also interested in taking a look at the source code for this project. I've been looking for a solution like this for quite awhile!

Thank you

4. CaptainChristian

CaptainChristian

Do you have an update for us? I am asking because I am currently looking at available assets.

5. bartleycollin

bartleycollin

... I have no words man .... Very nice! (I guess that's 2 words...)

6. Rayfly0225

Rayfly0225

Hello! AXXE78!!
    We are a game design team come from Taiwan, and I am the senior environment artist in my team.
    I am interested in Modular Level Generator. Coz of realizing the effecient to design an app or a dungeon game.

Sincerely hope that you can lend our team source code and some asset. let us complete the functions
    If having more progress , you'll get the feedback of this component.

Our new game project is already begining in august!! so we sincerely hope that you can give aid or support!!:p

this is my email: rayfly0225@gmail.com

Sincerely
    Rayfly0225

7. EmeralLotus

EmeralLotus

Very cool project,

Can this be used to generate Caves ? If not, can it be modified to generate Cave?

8. NathanielAH

NathanielAH

What is the status of this? I was very interested in purchasing it, if not reviewing the code at the very least. Your assistance is appreciated!

Sincerely,
    Nathaniel

9. Kaemalux

Kaemalux

I would be interested in this, any chance to see your project in asset store? I'd like to use it for a 2d game. :)

10. AXXE78

AXXE78

My apologies everyone! The project is still alive, we hope to submit it to the AssetStore by next couple of weeks. In the meantime, we added some useful features (seed generation, save/load generation config., and even another generation algorithm, so now we got 'Hunt Kill' and 'Recursive Backtracker'). Stay tuned for more.

11. __MaX__

__MaX__

Just curious about something... you said it generates the level at runtime.

But what about lightmaps ? Or is it full RT lighting ? And if so, forward or deferred ?

12. AXXE78

AXXE78

Well, that depends on you. You can bake the lightmaps in the 3D tiles, and then generate your level at runtime. I don't know of any system (correct me if I'm wrong) to generate lightmaps at runtime in Unity (I guess mostly because lightmap generation is expensive and it's something you do in the editor). About RT lighting, no problem at all: you decide how you want to light your game, rendering path, etc.

13. dreamlarp

dreamlarp

opps sry i saw the answer ty.

14. AXXE78

AXXE78

15. yunspace

yunspace

Been following this thread for a while and super glad you guys are finally releasing this on the Asset Store. Will buy within a heart beat when it's up.

16. Lypheus

Lypheus

Ya I'm in the same boat here myself, can think of a few applications for this as well :) - looks fun!

17. cidmodder

cidmodder

I'm really excited for this! It will save me a lot of time on the project I am making.

18. AXXE78

AXXE78

Phew, we did it! The random dungeon generator is finally in beta and a few people are testing it. If nothing bad pops out we will submit it to the AssetStore by the next few days.

Here's a video teaser we made just for fun! (the graphic assets are included in the package):

19. Sphelps

Sphelps

Any word on this

20. NutellaDaddy

NutellaDaddy

I can see many uses for this. Good Job!

21. dreamlarp

dreamlarp

Will the scifi addon be included when you submit this?

22. AXXE78

AXXE78

Yes, there will be the fantasy set from the video, a sci-fi one and a couple more examples (2D, too) included in the package.

23. AgentParsec

AgentParsec

Do maps generated with this work with Unity's pathfinding?

24. AXXE78

AXXE78

Yes, absolutely. Off course they work in Editor and they also do work at runtime with little setup. I was thinking about making a video about this before the release.

25. KoningStoma

KoningStoma

Very nice. I don't know if this has been suggested, but it would be even better if it would generate rooms at multiple levels (as in heights).

26. AXXE78

AXXE78

Yeah, there will be this feature (and others we're working on) in next releases.

27. AXXE78

AXXE78

$Daedalus_DirectionalTiles.png

We just added a new feature, "directional tiles". The generator is now able to detect straight tiles, curve tiles, cross tiles, T-cross tiles, room borders, room corners, etc.

This leads to some interesting possibilities for the floor tiles.

28. CPDH

CPDH

Very interested in this. Posting so I can see when it is up.

29. johnnydj

johnnydj

release it as it is :)
    would love to play and test this out :)

30. AXXE78

AXXE78

Submitted, waiting for approval :)

31. hopeful

hopeful

Congrats! I see it is in the store now.

32. Buddy_DoQ

Buddy_DoQ

Woot! Absolutely perfect timing! Going to give this a thorough shakedown this weekend. Congrats on the release!

33. dreamlarp

dreamlarp

We had a chance to beta test this. I have to say it is one of the more powerful tools we used. It is a big part of our game features now. With very little tinkering we have gotten a very nice system added to our game.

If you are not sure about this I would say its a must get. And at this price its a give away.

34. moure

moure

Congrats for the release!
    I will try it soon ;)

35. AXXE78

AXXE78

Version 0.13.0 is coming soon on the AssetStore, with some cool new features!

Some users asked for multi-level dungeons. Well, here they are! :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 8, 2014
  36. cynel

cynel

Wow Floors of Dungeons i like it.

37. _Simmo

_Simmo

I bought this yesterday and have been having fun playing with the parameters and settings, really well made asset, thanks! I'm planning to use this as a core element in my project

I have a few questions/requests, some of these might already be planned and if so awesome :D

1. An optional separate list of assets for the walls round the perimeter/max-size of the dungeon, like for windows for instance. especially with the new (awesome) mutli-level dungeon pics you posted, you could have something like a tower that you can see out of at the outer walls.

2. More than one type of room per dungeon. For instance you'd set the assets to use for how ever many room types you'd like, and then each room that's generated would select a room type at random and use those assets. This would go a long way to adding variety to each dungeon :D

3. Related to the multi-level dungeons, different themes/asset sets for different levels of the dungeons? For instance, the top level could be dungeon, then a few levels down sewer, and then under that cave.

I'm aware something like the different level and room theme/sets might be pretty complex to implement, but I'm not a very experienced coder and I'm still learning a lot, so I might be wrong. And you'd know best out of anyone if these sorts of things are viable :)

Finally an actual question, you mentioned on the last page about a pathfinding tutorial, is there any news on that? I'm working on using A* with runtime generation at the moment but any official guides on the subject would be awesome

Thanks for the amazing asset, already as it is it's a bargain at this price. I'm excited to delve in more and see what I can do with it!

38. AXXE78

AXXE78

Hi _Simmo,

thank you very much for your feedback!

1. That's a very interesting feature that we didn't think of, but I guess it will be added to the to-do list :D

2. 3. are already in our to-do list, I guess you will see them in the next couple of updates

We're still working on that video about the PF, let me see if I can get it online in the next few days.

39. _Simmo

_Simmo

Wow thanks for the speedy reply :) That's great to hear, I'm excited to see how this assets grows. I'm really motivated by how simple Daedalus is to work with. Thanks!

40. dreamlarp

dreamlarp

Any word on the new update. We await the multi-level dungeons with baited breath.

41. AXXE78

AXXE78

dreamlarp, we're still implementing some features for the multi-level dungeon generation, it might take a few more days and some testing before release.

42. AXXE78

AXXE78

@ _Simmo: here's the video for the pathfinding. Let me know if you have any questions!

[video=youtube_share;pNqD93fVtMU]http://youtu.be/pNqD93fVtMU

43. _Simmo

_Simmo

Awesome, thanks! I've managed to get A* grids working with the dungeons at runtime and it's working really well. Really looking forward to the next version :)

44. AXXE78

AXXE78

...and here's the feature you requested: perimeter walls and columns! :D

$Schermata 2014-02-20 alle 09.10.31.png

45. dreamlarp

dreamlarp

You guys are great at adding features your followers request. I am looking forward to the next update also.

46. EmeralLotus

EmeralLotus

Totally Awesome Work.
    Very Best.

Cheers.

47. _Simmo

_Simmo

Oh man, awesome!! This is great - it extends the usability of this asset a ton I think - imagine actual random buildings you can see from the outside as well as the inside!

With a setting for a door on the outside (something like a prefab used once that only opens to a corridor or something) you could have random buildings you could enter from the outside, even towers with the multi-level feature.. awesome

Amazing work, I'm really excited about this asset :)

48. dreamlarp

dreamlarp

+1

We have already planned a lot with this new feature. One of the greatest things this does for us is create it as a prefab that lets us use it in many ways we could not use a scene. We can not wait for the update to hit.

49. dreamlarp

dreamlarp

Working on a runtime editor.

50. EmeralLotus

EmeralLotus

Very cool stuff. Can't wait to try it out.