Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Skyshop - Image-Based Lighting Tools

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by monkeyscience, Mar 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pierresusset

pierresusset

It looks defenitly as a "must have"!
    Did you take advantage of DX11 for future version?

2. Temporaro

Temporaro

I just tested this on a computer with an integrated Intel chip and it doesn't work. The HDR image is visible but the shaders are black.

I'm trying to make an application that will run on integrated chips as well. The specs are:

Code (csharp):
    3. Windows 7 Enterprise SP 1 32-bit operating system
    6. GPU = Intel(R) 82945G Express Chipset Family (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM 1.0)
    8. CPU = Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.80GHz
    10. RAM = 2 GB
    12. Tested with Chrome and Explorer 9.

I'm also curious if you could make the shaders compatible with box projected cubemapping EXAMPLE.

Here is a discussion about Box Cubemapping in Unity.

EDIT: I solved it. The problem was the GPU, the workstation I was using had a DX11 GPU without any OpenGL support whatsoever. My colleague had a Intel HD integrated GPU and everything works flawlessly. Sorry for interrupting the thread.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 1, 2013
  3. chingwa

chingwa

This is absolutely beautiful. I do have a question, and perhaps it relates to IBL in general, but I'd love to be able to incorporate techniques like this into a real-time game scene. In your experience is this feasible, or is IBL mainly for static-lit scenes?

4. Temporaro

Temporaro

It's possible to use image based lighting for dynamic scenes. You just blur the cubemap until it looks like a diffuse surface. There will be no self shadowing so your mileage might vary. If you use box cubemapping then it will look fairly accurate depending on the complexity of the scene.

5. monkeyscience

monkeyscience

Box Cubemapping looks very interesting indeed. Interpolating between cubemaps is on my dream-list of future features, whether it is box-cubemapping or some other spacial grid. Unity's tetrahedral lightprobe grid seems to work very well too.

Can't let myself get distracted until the single-cube pipeline is solid and out the door, though :p.

6. monkeyscience

monkeyscience

Here's another neat addition I forgot to mention: camera exposure

Camera exposure will be a property of each Sky object and will affect the sky, glow maps, even dynamic lights on all Skyshop shaders. Easily scriptable, no post effects required. The one draw-back is it will not affect Unity shaders, but as long as your scene is all Skyshop stuff, it looks great!

7. HeadClot88

HeadClot88

Questions -

How much will this cost?

Does this require PRO?

I am really looking forward to it. :)

8. giyomu

giyomu

Looking forward to it as well, look like it will be really nice asset to have :)

9. monkeyscience

monkeyscience

Skyshop will not require Unity PRO, and the price is still "to be announced".

Last edited: May 2, 2013
  10. angelodelvecchio

angelodelvecchio

Yes, announce please.

Many thanks

11. angelodelvecchio

angelodelvecchio

dear friend, how it works with Posteffects? Glow, Bloom?, i mean how is the possibility for game production ?

Many thanks

Last edited: May 2, 2013
  12. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Say, do you think you could create a node for strumpy so that I could get starred that I made working with this? particularly shaders for eyes ...

13. monkeyscience

monkeyscience

I've been meaning to look at strumpy but have not found the time. Can you add custom nodes and things to it easily?

14. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

I don't know but the program is open source

15. angelodelvecchio

angelodelvecchio

About this:

I guess my question was idiot, you dont answered, sorry to bother

**** sorry want i really would mean is that i dont want to bother, sometimes i dont read other threads, so i dont want to repeat other questions ;)

Many thanks, this sounds great, i guess this will be a marvelous addition to unity ! unity community needs this, i hope you have good profit as return of your great efforts! Many thanks again!

Last edited: May 3, 2013
  16. monkeyscience

monkeyscience

An excellent question, Angelodelvecchio! :)

Skyshop and the Marmoset shaders will work just fine with post effects. They require no screen-aligned effects of their own and so should not interfere with any screen-space shaders. They also do not clamp any shader outputs, so in theory HDR render buffers should get HDR data from them. I haven't tested many post effects though the free FXAA screen-space anti-aliasing shader in the Asset Store works beautifully.

In other news, I'm working on documentation and thought I'd share a little GIF of Unity's Light Probes as baked with Skyshop data.

In the images you'll see two Vespa models: one lit only by Skyshop's cubemap IBL, the other only by Unity's light probes. There are no direct light-sources in this scene. The light-probes are baked with one of Beast's advanced (and hidden) features: using a panoramic sky image to add ambient light into your scene.

The three images you see cycling are:
    No Occluder - comparing Beast's open-air probe lighting to Skyshop's cube based lighting.
    Simple Sky - using the sky image to tint final gather results and an overall white ambience.
    Light Emitting Sky - adds light-sources from pixels in the sky image to actually add light into the scene (much slower to compute).

You'll see both the Simple and Light Emitting methods light the vespa with the sky colors and both add a bit of occluding shadow from the red wall. But Simple mode has no bounced red light from the wall because as far as the baker is concerned there are no lights in the scene; the red wall occludes the sky but is entirely black.

The Light-Emitting method adds a bunch of tiny lights into the scene which light up the red wall for the baker and all is peachy. This is the way I'm going to recommend baking lightmaps and probes in Skyshop-lit scenes. There is also UI in Skyshop now for making all this as painless as possible.

17. angelodelvecchio

angelodelvecchio

About this:

I guess my question was idiot, you dont answered, sorry to bother

**** sorry want i really would mean is that i dont want to bother, sometimes i dont read other threads, so i dont want to repeat other questions ;)

Many thanks, this sounds great, i guess this will be a marvelous addition to unity ! unity community needs this, i hope you have good profit as return of your great efforts! Many thanks again!

18. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

That lighting is looking very good... and with probes none the less... I use beast a lot in lighting my scenes and this seems to make it very simple to set up. now does this wash out any diffuse textures or details like it seems to happen in unity shaders? What happens with light probes is that the normal and spec detail get washed out when light probes are baked... do you think you could post an image of that vespa with Diffuse, spec and normal maps applied? I probably saw one with the tone mapping, but that is definitely an issue with light probes....

19. monkeyscience

monkeyscience

Diffuse light from Unity light-probes ignores normalmaps (as far as I can tell), there is little Skyshop can do to fix that. However, you can configure how Skyshop's cubemap-based lighting is combined with Unity's light-probe lighting. Some "advanced topics" baking knowledge coming your way... :)

Here is an image of a vespa moped lit only by Unity light-probes, with a sky image Beast-baked into the probes:

The main advantage this has over Skyshop's cubemap-based lighting is the sky gets occluded by scene geometry. Say you're standing in the shadow of a large green wall, the sun and all of the sky obscured by the wall should not be contributing any light to your vespa. Disadvantage: no normalmaps.

Here is an image of light-probes without any sky image lighting added directly to Skyshop's cubemap-based lighting:

(right-click/view image to see the full res version)

This would be the traditional Unity light-probe setup. There is no sky contribution in the probes, Beast sees the sky as a black void, and all the sky lighting is coming from Skyshop's cubemaps. The advantage here is: normalmaps! The disadvantage: the sky is never obscured by scene geometry. Go inside a building and you'll still see sunshine and fluffy clouds lighting your vespa.

Enter option 3: a blend of half Skyshop's cubemap lighting and half light-probes:

If you look closely, you'll see diffuse normalmaps from Cube Diffuse getting blended with the vertex-lit normals from Probe Diffuse. You will lose a little bit of diffuse lighting contrast using the mix method but that is par for the course with probes anyway. And you gain proper geometry occlusion of the sky.

Lastly, specular lighting is completely separate from the baking process, and much of your normalmap detail will be highlighted more by specular reflections than diffuse lighting anyway:

20. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Very nice... and very well integrated,,, I will be using Light Probes on skeletal meshes...and I LOVE Option 3!! Exactly what I am looking for... and I should add that I also use dual lightmaps when i am setting up normal maps as well. I am stirring with anticipation to play with this tool... the perfect compliment to Marmoset

21. LokiDavison

LokiDavison

This looks amazing. I'm really excited to get these. One of our artists already loves Marmoset. :)

22. plink

plink

Fantastic work monkeyscience. I'll be picking this up as soon as it's available too.

23. johnny english

johnny english

hey there!
    quick question regarding the new skyshop app for unity!
    will it be availbale for MAC OSX as well as PC users?

I use marmoset through a PC emulation on my Mac OSX and I use unity Mac version
    it would be great to use them both on mac rather than having to use a PC for skyshop..
    i hope my question makes sense!
    tks!
    looking fwd to it!
    Any ideas of prices licences as well?

24. Atom li liu

Atom li liu

Great tool! Can not wait to use it. :D
    There is a question about Spec maps. Do you use mipmap for different gloss specular reflection? It looks like smaller mipmap for more blur specular.
    If it is true, how many gloss levels we can use?

25. monkeyscience

monkeyscience

Yes, the gloss uses mipmapped specular cubemaps and computes up to 8 gloss levels: 256, 128, 64, 32, 16, 8, 4, and 2. It will store them in that order in whatever size cubemap you are computing, by default it is a 256 x 256 x 6 cubemap so the lower gloss levels don't get much resolution. Changing it to 512 x 512 will double the resolution each of those gloss levels gets.

26. monkeyscience

monkeyscience

I've been writing docs and doing general Asset Store prep, stuff that warrants no screenshots.

However, our friends over at Quixel have released the first-ever screenshots of Skyshop in a commercial product. Presenting dDo: a texture editing tool with a Unity-powered, Skyshop-rendered live preview window:

27. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Man, look at that UNPRECEDENTED realism... JESUS... looks so real... now I have a question in regards to the reflections on the models... we CAN turn that off right? Or have some parts reflective...etc

EDIT: Also in regards to the sky texture itself, is that separate from the Unity Skybox?

28. monkeyscience

monkeyscience

Yep! Specular maps mask all image-based reflection just as they do direct-light specular highlights (also, technically a form of reflection). Gloss maps additionally help blur the reflection so you don't get mirrored polish all over everything. With a clever mix of spec and gloss maps, you can mimic most any material. See also: the Quixel artwork, those guys are masters at this.

29. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

This is amazing... the next time you update this tool, i would be more than happy to test it for you... i almost always use IBL on everything and I have a CG workflow for my texture mapping (considering everything in the world does have reflection)

30. janpec

janpec

Wood texture on AK is beyond amazing. Reflections and cubed specularity make it so powerful. dDo with Skyshop is really perfect combo, especially as you mostly need both of them for metalic objects.

31. kenshin

kenshin

If you want you have another tester here! :)

When your tool will be released?

32. ShawnS

ShawnS

This is all sorts of good, color me excited! No longer will I have to decide if I'm going to present my art within Unity or Marmoset. I can't wait to get at this!

33. AustinK

AustinK

I'll be purchasing this for my game.

If you do need testers, we would love to try it out. We're just a two man team, but our artist renders in Marmoset so it would cool to see the side by sides.

Do you have a range of what you believe the price may be for this?

34. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Yup, I am burning with anticipation when I look at the clean results of the lighting... sort of off topic, but is the Marmoset skin shader pre integrated or TSD? I am asking this because I want to be able to control the amount of depth that is in the scattering with the shader...

35. monkeyscience

monkeyscience

I'm afraid the skin shader will not be shipping with the initial launch. It is something we definitely plan on adding to the package down the line but currently we are trying to finish up 1.0 with the core basics.

36. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

It's cool... I am still looking very forward to it... :) My game models will look even more realistic

37. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

OMG, OMG... OMG! This looks insane!!!!

Any news on a release date?

38. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

monkeyscience: Excellent! Looks like you might be in need of some outdoor spherical panoramas? I have the equipment and make them all the time. PM me if you're interested

39. monkeyscience

monkeyscience

Would anyone be terribly disappointed if Skyshop was Unity 4+, no 3.5 support? It will still work in both Pro and Free.

40. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

I would be EXTREMELY disappointed...

41. monkeyscience

monkeyscience

Still rocking 3.5 pro then? Any plans to upgrade? I have no feel for what Unity's conversion rate is these days.

42. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

I will be looking to upgrade in a few months... waiting for Unity 4 to maturate before I do so... will probably upgrade within a few months...

Last edited: May 16, 2013
  43. kenshin

kenshin

I am not! ;-)

But I understand all guys that are still working on 3.5.

I think that a lot of you potential customer are working on 4.
    Please, could you start to release a first version for unity3d 4 and after release and upgrade that will work both on 3.5 and 4.0?

I am really interested to work on your tool soon!!! :)

44. nukeD

nukeD

I'm on 3.5 too, i own Toolbox and will be getting Skyshop.

Last edited: May 16, 2013
  45. cl-apps

cl-apps

Unity 4 Pro here... looking forward to the release!

46. derkoi

derkoi

I'm on Unity 4

47. MatzeOGH

MatzeOGH

Unity 4 is good with me

48. JVaughan

JVaughan

When last I left this thread it seemed as if things were getting very close. Any word from the monkey scientists about the progress on this beast? Also I'm on Unity4.

49. monkeyscience

monkeyscience

Skyshop 1.0 has been submitted to the Asset Store and is awaiting approval!
    Minimum requirements: Unity 3.5.6 :D

Here's a web-player demo to celebrate!

50. kenshin

kenshin

Great news!

Webplayer link don't works... is freezed on unity loader. :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.