Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Blender model import .Fbx or .blend?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by alecchalmers, Mar 7, 2013.

1. alecchalmers

alecchalmers

Hi guys,

Is it better to import a .blend file or an .FBX file.

Is the result the same?

Is it just that I get more options if I go down the .FBX route?

I had a look around but I can't seem to find a clear answer and would just like this cleared up if possible.

2. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Importing a .blend is the same as importing .fbx, since Unity doesn't really import .blend, it just makes Blender open in the background and export .fbx. Using .blend means you can just save the file and it will be usable in Unity, instead of having to go through the export process manually and keeping two separate files (since you can't import .fbx into Blender).

--Eric

Basim-Afzal and Tea_Doogun like this.
  3. alecchalmers

alecchalmers

Great, thanks for the quick response too!

4. Gnimmel

Gnimmel

Just to add to this something I didn't think of with my first ever unity project. I use maya and I created a game on my PC using maya's .mb format for all 3D assets. It all worked great until I decided to convert the project to iphone and had to use a mac. I don't have a maya license for my mac, so I had to go back to maya and export everything as FBX and then re-import everything back in to unity. Not so much of a problem with blender because it's free, but just remember it will only work if you have blender installed.