Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity 4.0.1f2 and avast 8.0.1482 = "getThreadContextfailed" error

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Spi, Mar 4, 2013.

1. Gnimmel

Gnimmel

I just hit this same problem, although I've seen it in the past, probably about 5 or 6 months ago. It happened a few times and then I didn't see it again until today? Today it's seemed a lot worse though, I had 3 crashes in about an hour.

Like everyone else I also have Avast , but I'd be happy to un-install it install something else. Does anyone know of a good free virus checker similar to Avast that doesn't cause this problem?

2. Poulpc

Poulpc

i use avg free, and i hvad no problem

3. cyberpunk

cyberpunk

I am having the exact same thing happening. I have the latest version of Avast 8. Ever single Unity app I've tried will crash within 5-10 minutes. The Unity editor also crashes sometimes but not as often. This is a major issue.

I have contacted Avast support, but I have not heard back yet.

Is it possible for someone at Unity to contact Avast and try to work out a solution?

4. CreativeChris

CreativeChris

Unity Technologies

It's not really an Avast problem, Avast 8 is just exposing a defect in our Mono code, there is a fix provided along with instructions on this thread. Please, people that run into this problem stop posting that you have this problem without having tested the fix first.

We are interested in hearing what your results are in regards to this fix, because we have this case closed as fixed and verified by QA internally and is scheduled for our 4.2 release.

Thanks,
    Chris

5. oxium

oxium

Hi Chris

This is pretty awesome that you have a fix for 4.2 but it looks like you're forgetting there're still a lot of users stuck with 3.5
    What's the plan for them ? (me included)
    Thanks !

6. CreativeChris

CreativeChris

Unity Technologies

Hey Oxium,

The plan for us is to continue developing and working on 4.x release and beyond, we stopped development of 3.x at the end of 2012 which was mentioned publicly.

You will need to upgrade to 4.x, it's about time right? :D

Thanks,
    Chris

7. Poulpc

Poulpc

Hej Chris

eny info on 4.2 release date, is it weeks months or years away , i was to release my game this month ??

-Poul Carlsen

8. oxium

oxium

Hum... do you really think that people who spent thousand of dollars buying all the pro versions of Unity 3.5 just before (like me literally a month before) the Unity 4.x update will be happy about this ?
    Are you going to tell me that this is seriously not something you can port back to the 3.5 code base ? Like the core elements of Unity have changed so much that you can't merge it back ? seriously ?
    This sounds more like a crappy way to force peopel to upgrade to Unity 4..
    For some people (like me) who still haven't made their money back from what they have invested, that's a lot to ask.
    Also it's not like this was a new crash as you can find old threads about this exact same garbage collector crash so Unity just shipped a buggy product.
    When you buy a buddy product, it's normal to expect a fix right ?
    I really do love Unity and what you guys are doing so I hope you'll find a way to release a last version of 3.5 with just that fix and I truly think that this would be fair to your loyal and friendly indie developer community.
    Thanks

9. Deleted User

Deleted User

This seems to be helping me, on Unity 4.15 with the latest Avast. BIG improvement! It was crashing every 10-15 minutes no matter what I disabled.

10. Poulpc

Poulpc

11. akeplinger

akeplinger

Any word on a fix for the webplugin. While I can still develop using the Mono.dll fix, the crash also happens when playing in a browser. I don't believe it's reasonable to ask web users to go through complicated setup to use an online game.
    Will there be a new web plugin which offers a fix?
    I had the crash happen twice while demoing to a client over skype. It is hard to explain to a client, especially when the rest of the program is in great shape. If I can tell them that a new web plugin is at least coming, that would be great.

12. imtehQ

imtehQ

Anyone tested it out with vm-player, creating a new computer for unity3d only? that way you cont need a antivirus is the vm is not connect to the internet, right?

I cant test it out my download speed is so slow, but it can be the fixs that we need?

13. TTkJonas

TTkJonas

I get the same Error with Unity 4.1.5 ans below. And the mono.dll dont fix the problem. I have never used Avast, but Kaspersky. I hope Unity will fix this soon!

14. TTkJonas

TTkJonas

I have found a solution for this problem. After i have replaced the mono.dll in the Unity Editor folder (C:\Program Files (x86)\Unity\Editor\Data\Mono\EmbedRuntime\) as descriped on page 3, the dll in the _data/Mono was still the old unfixed after publishing!
    After replacing this mono.dll, the error was gone :)

Sorry for the bad english :-D

15. Sasstraliss

Sasstraliss

Is this fixed now with 4.2?

16. Aurore

Aurore

Director of Real-Time Learning

Yes it's been fixed in 4.2

17. Dinkelborg

Dinkelborg

NOPE!

I just got this Error AGAIN... Like I had it on an old version quite some time ago, than it was gone for some time (and Unity-Versions) Now it's BACK since I installed the latest update as I always do.

...so NO I don't think this is fixed.

18. Dinkelborg

Dinkelborg

Oh: And by the way I just tried the old ''fix'' and it gave me an error on start up stating:
    mono: function mono_loader_get_last_error not found
    mono: function mono_loader_error_prepare_exception not found

And So I can't even start Unity than ...
    this blocks quite all of my work and productivity for the moment...

19. Nition

Nition

If you purchased a month before the Unity 4 update then you're entitled to a free upgrade - specifically if you purchased after 1 June 2012. If you mean a month before the announcement on June 18, then yeah I'm afraid you're out of luck.

20. error911

error911

Help!
    fatal error in gc GetThreadContext failed

Online game. During razrobotki all was well. How did the test, there were 10 people online. And at intervals of 15-20 minutes of the game fell to the error: (fatal error in gc GetThreadContext failed)
    Though at startup UNITA though compiled in the project.
    Avast antivirus is worth.
    Unity 5.1.2f1 !!!

21. SimonB

SimonB

Still experiencing this in 5.2.3f1. Attaching a sample crash report from one of our users.

Attached Files:

22. Pawl

Pawl

Same here. Had 2 confirmed reports that disabling Avast allowed our game to run on Windows 7 64-bit machines. We're using Unity 4.6.9.

(could this be a recent Avast update causing this bug to resurface?)

23. Prodigga

Prodigga

Same issue

24. docsavage

docsavage

Happening again. Windows 10 64bit. Unity 5.3.1p4.

No avast. Using Panda antivirus, Windows defender disabled. Problem occurred regularly but started to get worse after latest unity patch update.

Edit: Yes it's an old thread but people are still reporting problem here so though would join them as opposed to starting another.

25. blitzuk

blitzuk

Just happened to me, first time. Win10 64bit. Unity 5.3.2f1

No avast. Using Trend Micro Max Security

I'll do some digging around

26. leegod

leegod

HAppended. Win10 64, Unity 5.3.3. No Avast. Using Trend Micro Maximum Security.

What is reason and how to fix?

27. Play_Edu

Play_Edu

Same issue, Window 10 No Av And using unity 5.1.2.

28. ss15

ss15

Unity3d 5.3.4f1 + Windows 7/8.1/10 64bit. Random crashes with "Fatal Error in GC: GetThreadContext failed" on some PC. In some cases crashed after 5-10 minutes, another once in 2-3 hours. But some PC works fine 3-4 days! Some PC have Avast installed, but some PC without any antivirus tools. It is sad.

docsavage likes this.
  29. docsavage

docsavage

Happening with 5.3.4 stable and also happened with 5.3.4p5. Still using windows 10 64bit and panda security.

30. docsavage

docsavage

One thing I have noticed is that whatever unity project I open first I cannot send that project to the wastebasket without getting an error message that the project is still in use by another program. I can open other projects and edit and delete them but not the first one opened after logging in to windows. The only way to break the cycle is to log out of windows and log back in again. Maybe totally unrelated or maybe it is but it does sound like something is locked in the background that could be causing this conflict. Recommend others try out.

31. CHENTAO0225

CHENTAO0225

@CreativeChris 5.2.3 Still crashed with "Fatal Error in GC: GetThreadContext failed"

32. docsavage

docsavage

Still happening here as well. 5.3.5p3 - windows 10 64 bit. 100% sure it's not virus scanner related unless it's something they all share/utilise as from reading this thread it's happening to users of many different virus products.

acgleader likes this.
  33. realli

realli

Unity5.3.5f1 win7/win10 32bit, Got the same problem. Only crash when 360(a chinese AV) is on.
    I tried to cracke the mono.dll, make GC_push_all_stacks continue instead of abort with "GetThreadContext failed". everything works so far, no user report crash anymore. But I'm not sure if that will lead to memory leak or other problem.

So I guess that may still be caused by a GC bug

34. skylorder

skylorder

same issue, Window 7 No any Av , using unity 5.4.0f3

Last edited: Dec 2, 2016
  35. kollsoft

kollsoft

The same issue, Window10 , using unity 5.3.5f1

36. josiperez

josiperez

Same issue in a Windows 10 64 bits system with Avast, build generated with Unity 5.5.2f1. The message occurs in an aleatory frequency. Already tried 1) to deactivate Avast for 10 minutes and disable "enable hardware-assisted virtualization" as mentioned in some forums; 2) to verify the "task manager" to see the cpu and memory use - normal; 3) run dxdiag: Diagnostics session shows the message below and i do not known what to do to fix it
    Problem signature:
    P1: 170330_game_winX64.exe
    P2: 5.5.2.10711
    P3: 10.0.14393.2.0.0

The build runs in another windows machine but I need run in these two machines.
    Can someone give a tip to solve this problem?
    Thanks in advance.

37. Cromfeli

Cromfeli

This problem is back on 2018.2.6f1

38. LegendaryHero

LegendaryHero

Dig a grave. This problem also appears in Unity 2018.3.6f1.:mad:o_O

39. Zuntatos

Zuntatos

If we're reviving this thread;
    I've had dozens of players report this issue and I've narrowed it down to 90%+ solved by either adding the game to antivirus scanning exclusions, uninstalling faceit anticheat (disabling it did not help) or uninstalling avast (exclusions did not tend to help). I think this is on 5.6.6.

The problem also comes and goes for some people with game updates, even without new unity patches.
    2017 LTS seems to have less of this issue, but that may just be my smaller playerbase of testers. In return I got a couple of mono-2.0-bdwgc.dll crashes

40. BitingCold

BitingCold

Still having this issue, despite not having any antivirus installed (and having windows defender disabled), also uninstalled everything faceit-related.

41. kylezz

kylezz

I used to have the same problem but I was using Kaspersky AV. Anyway, I fixed it with resetting the antivirus back to its defaults. I have used Kaspersky resetter and now my Unity projects habe stopped crashing. At least for now. I think the problem is with using the free or paid version of any AV or it could be from any broken registries from the previous AV installations.