Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Uni2LwP : Create Live Wallpapers with Unity 3.4.2 /3.5.7/ 4.0/4.0.1

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by shinx, Feb 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shinx

shinx

$title1.png
    Uni2Lwp is an Unity extension that allows you to create Android 3D live wallpapers with Unity 3.4.2 and 3.5.7 and 4.0/4.0.1!

Support:
    If you are having any issues please check the FAQ and Tutorials page.
    Haven’t found your answer ? Then contact here or use the site's Contact form.

Site:
    http://mirageunity.wordpress.com

Tutorials:
    http://mirageunity.wordpress.com/tutorials/

Frequently Asked Questions:
    http://mirageunity.wordpress.com/faq/

Feature List - version 1.5:
    • Uni2LwP now works with Unity 4.0; (tested on ver.4.0 and ver.4.0.1)
    • Works with Unity 3.4 and Unity 3.5; (tested on ver.3.4.2 , ver.3.5.6 and ver.3.5.7)
    • Demo scene includes home screen switching ready to work on your Android device;
    • Demo Android Live Wallpaper with Settings Activity example;
    • Double tap on your device (with demo live wallpaper) directly opens the LWP Settings Activity;
    • Works with ArmV6 with VFP and ArmV7 devices;
    • New plugin: Export Unity project to Eclipse (Uni2Eclipse);
    • Solution that detects if the user swipes left or right (for TouchWiz and Sense devices that don't support onOffsetsChanged method).

[*]AdMob integration as an option. After exporting your project follow the next steps:
      ->Download the latest AdMob SDK from https://developers.google.com/mobile-ads-sdk/download
      ->Extract GoogleAdMobAdsSdk-x.x.x.jar into your Live Wallpaper libs folder;
      [*] OR Locate AdMob Jar file directly from Uni2LwP create live wallpaper window;

Deprecated. On August 1, 2014, Google Play will stop accepting new or updated apps that use the old standalone Google Mobile Ads SDK v6.4.1 or lower.

Tutorial: "How to upgrade from the old Admob ads to the new Google Play Ads". Please contact me to get the tutorial.

• Change live wallpaper name and description inside Uni2LwP window;
    • Player Settings icons are automatically copied to the live wallpaper drawable folders;
    • Uni2LwP works with OpenGL ES 1.x and 2.0;
    • App2SD (Option);
    • Option to create a Toast message that hides the "Settings" and "Set Live Wallpaper" buttons when the LWP is loading (although hidden the user can still press the buttons);
    • Media volume is now disabled for Unity 3.4.2, 3.5.7 and 4.0.1; If you want to use sounds on your live wallpapers just comment this line renderer.PauseMediaVolume(“unity version″); that's inside the onVisibilityChanged method.

Minimum requirements:
    • Works with Unity 3.4.2/3.5.7/4.0/4.0.1 Free and Pro;
    • Minimum API level is Android 2.2 'Froyo';

Known issues:
    • Doesn't work with Unity 4.1+ / 4.2+ / 4.3+ / 5+ (Only works with Unity 4.0 and 4.0.1)
    • Live wallpaper restarts if you try to set it twice or access the settings menu after the lwp is already set. This means that after the live wallpaper is set (running in your home screen) you must access the settings menu using the double tap feature or else it will restart.
      Updated info: Google changed this with Android 4.4.2 and it no longer restarts. The user will have to manually set the live wallpaper again.

Asset Store
    Price is : $30

Best regards,
    Shinx

Last edited: Oct 1, 2015
  2. Horror

Horror

As you have said, there would be a lot of people using Unity 3.5 /4 who would ask for it. For $30 - $40 I would happily shell out the cash if Unity 4 were supported but I couldn't justify the price tag on a chance that it might work. The wallpaper would also need to be able to interface with scripts (like moving the camera when the user slides to a new screen).

3. StaticNova

StaticNova

I'd be interested in this if Unity 4 support can be guaranteed.

4. shinx

shinx

It already supports everything that a normal Android live wallpaper needs. I will include a demo live wallpaper that demonstrates how to interface with scripts (like home switch and saving/loading user settings inside android LWP settings activity).

5. luvcoolstuff

luvcoolstuff

I think the price can be lower to let people have more review first. 20 dollars would be reasonable to me. I use another plugin call unity2eclipse. However, after I edited the setting I created in the LWP. The phone's screen turns black. If I change to another LWP and go back to my own LWP. The LWP works on my phone's background again. Is there any guaranteed your plugin would not have this issue? If this is solved, I would buy one.

6. shinx

shinx

Hello luvcoolstuff,

I have read that unity2eclipse uses partially developed classes by Unity and that is why everyone that builds live wallpapers with it has some problems (the developed does say it's experimental).

My plugin does not rely on any developed class by Unity. It's build from scratch and as far as I have tested it doesn't have that particularly issue.

7. luvcoolstuff

luvcoolstuff

Great! I will give it a try. When is the release date for your plugin?

8. Horror

Horror

Maybe I'll need to get 3.4 specifically for publishing live wallpapers. If your library can be updated to support newer versions of Unity, you should do it, though. It's an untapped resource, since the closest alternative is Unity2Eclipse and I hear that it's a bit sketchy.

As far as I know, the closest Unity has come to officially supporting live wallpapers is a statement that they might consider it in the future. But that was two years ago.

9. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

Sounds good, I would be interested if you can make it work with 3.5x. BTW, why are you still staying at 3.4x?

10. Caliber-Mengsk

Caliber-Mengsk

3.4 included a specific library in the jar file or something like that, which allows unity to run as a live wallpaper, but is only compatible with that version of unity (and is really buggy). That's how the unity2eclipse works is by building off of that jar file's library, or something to that effect.

If it's not using this specific jar library/class then I don't see why it should be locked to a specific version of unity. If it is a custom wrote class, there is no reason why it should only work for 3.4

11. MikeUpchat

MikeUpchat

I would buy this in a heartbeat if it worked with Unity 3.5 and beyond.

12. shinx

shinx

Hello everyone,

As it is (only working with Unity 3.4.x) I could release it tomorrow. However, I'm not going to release it just yet. Why? Well, because in the last 3 days I have been working on it and I have some good news :)

My plugin now works with Unity 3.5 but only using developed build and disabling Dynamic Batching.

So, please be patient. I'm now convinced that Uni2LWP WILL work on Unity3.5 and probably on Unity4.0 (Haven't tested it though).

Best regards.

13. MikeUpchat

MikeUpchat

Splendid, look forward to giving it ago or seeing a result from it.

14. Horror

Horror

Great! Looking forward to this one :)

15. luvcoolstuff

luvcoolstuff

Hoping to see it soon. I use unity 3.4.2.:)

16. douglasfigueira

douglasfigueira

I'll also buy the uni2LWP if for Unity 4! I have unity2eclipse ($ 25.00) but I miss the features of Unity 4 ... I hope you bid your plugin soon? :)

17. luvcoolstuff

luvcoolstuff

Any good news yet?

18. shinx

shinx

Yes :)

Uni2LWP now works with Unity 3.5.x

I'm already creating a custom editor window. All you have to do is "Create Live Wallpaper".

But there is still a fairly amount of work to be done :
    • Finish the custom editor window;
    • Create Live Wallpaper example;
    • Create some sort of manual/youtube video;
    Best regards,
    Shinx

Attached Files:

• $pic.png
      $pic.png
      File size:
      28.5 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2013
  19. luvcoolstuff

luvcoolstuff

That's great. Good work.:)

20. jaboko

jaboko

This is very cool! Where can I see an example of working wallpaper on Unity 3.5?

21. vinodtiru

vinodtiru

I would buy it for sure. Please make it compatible with Unity 4.

22. shinx

shinx

There is no youtube video available yet. I'm still finishing the custom editor window.

Bad news for Unity4.0 user's. Unfortunately my plugin doesn't work with that version.

I'm getting a lot of this :
    Code (csharp):
    1. E/libEGL(26200): called unimplemented OpenGL ES API
    Still haven't found a solution for this :(

For now, Uni2LWP only works with Unity 3.4.x and 3.5.x.

23. Mauri

Mauri

24. shinx

shinx

Thanks for your help.
    Already tried that. I'm compiling my plugin against Android 4.2 (API level 17).

Is it possible that even the latest Android version doesn't have all Opengl implementations ? From logcat error messages, it seems that Unity 4.0 uses something that even the latest Android version doesn't support ...

Edited: that doesn't make sense because if that were true all Android games built with Unity4.0 wouldn't work on any Android device...

Last edited: Mar 11, 2013
  25. Caliber-Mengsk

Caliber-Mengsk

Are you calling opengl es 1 calls? Cause according to this page
    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/...system-force-gpu-rendering-option-actually-do
    Some opengl es 1 calls won't work in opengl es 2. Try building for es1 maybe, or remove the es1 calls from the script?

Just an idea.

Also, just an different idea, but you could start selling it with only the 3.4 and 3.5 support for the moment, and keep working on getting it working for 4. Many scripts are sold as the basic form and then added on to to keep people buying it, and if it's stable there is no reason not to. If it only works with 3.4/3.5, and it's stated in the description, I don't see people minding so much. (Just make sure it's mentioned at the top of the description and isn't hidden away in a wall of text)

I'm sure many people would be willing to buy it even if it only works with 3.4/3.5. I know I would (when I would have excess money to do so I don't know, but still).

26. shinx

shinx

Thanks for the idea. The demo/test scene that I'm using is just several cubes rotating. Already tried with gl 1.0 and 2.0 with no success.

Yes, you are correct. That's exactly what I'm going to do.

27. luvcoolstuff

luvcoolstuff

One request, can you add a tutorial for adding admob to the settings menu?

28. Shahrin-Suhaimi

Shahrin-Suhaimi

greeting shinx,

where can i buy your Uni2LWP.?

29. Horror

Horror

So... Unity 4.1 just came out. Maybe it will magically work now? :p

30. shinx

shinx

Sure, but only in the next release. I don't want to delay any more the current release (v1.0).

It will be on Unity Asset Store soon :). I will let you guys know as soon as it's released on the asset store.

Unfortunately no. Different errors, but same result :(

31. Caliber-Mengsk

Caliber-Mengsk

Well, I'll be waiting for it to come out. ^_^ I'll probably be one of your first purchases. (I only use unity 3.5 at the moment, because I don't have the money to buy the android/ios license again, so not having unity 4 doesn't really bother me. :p)

I do hope you figure out why it's not working in 4 though. I don't know a ton about how android works, and have only gotten basic buttons working without using unity. Otherwise I would try to help more.

32. mdewyea

mdewyea

Any news so far will the release date with your Uni2LWP Hopefully you can get it to work with 4.0 before you release it.
    I have my wallpaper made Im just waiting to export it to a live wallpaper. Cant wait..keep up the good work. Ill check back every day

33. shinx

shinx

Everything is almost ready. All that's left is "how to" video and some art work for the site.
    I'm submitting the plugin to the asset store tomorrow :)

Unfortunately this version will not work on Unity 4.x

34. Caliber-Mengsk

Caliber-Mengsk

Well, let us know as soon as it gets accepted through the asset store. (this can take a few days some times if you didn't know)

EDIT:
    Is there any way to get some code examples for how to change it to different views based on the screen it's on? (swiping left and right stuffs)

EDIT AGAIN:
    Reason I want the code examples is to start making a compatible script for it.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2013
  35. shinx

shinx

Ok :)

The different views (home switching) are already implemented. The plugin includes this "HomeSwitch.cs" file attached to the "Main Camera".

Code (csharp):
    2.     public float scaleFactor = 4f;
    3.     private float camOffsetFactor = 0.5f;
    4.     public float camSpeed = 0.10f;
    5.     private Vector3 newPosition;
    8.     void LateUpdate ()
    9.     {
    10.         newPosition = new Vector3 ((camOffsetFactor - 0.5f) * scaleFactor, transform.position.y, transform.position.z);
    11.         transform.position = Vector3.Lerp (transform.position, newPosition, camSpeed); 
    12.     }
    15.     public void SetCamOffset (string offset)
    16.     {
    17.         float.TryParse(offset,out camOffsetFactor);
    18.     }
    Now, inside OnGUI () call:

Code (csharp):
    1. SetCamOffset ("0"); //Left
    Code (csharp):
    1. SetCamOffset ("0.5");//Center
    Code (csharp):
    1. SetCamOffset ("1");//Right
    This will "simulate" home switching inside Unity's.

The real one will be called inside your android live wallpaper with something like this:

Code (csharp):
    2.     public void onOffsetsChanged(float xOffset, float yOffset, float xOffsetStep, float yOffsetStep, int xPixelOffset, int yPixelOffset) {
    3.         super.onOffsetsChanged(xOffset, yOffset, xOffsetStep, yOffsetStep, xPixelOffset, yPixelOffset);
    5.         if (player != null  !isPreview()) {
    6.             UnityPlayer.UnitySendMessage("Main Camera", "SetCamOffset", String.valueOf(xOffset));
    7.         }
    8.     }
    Another thing is that after setting the live wallpaper in your Android device, every touch on screen is passed to Unity's :
    Code (csharp):
    2.     public void onTouchEvent(MotionEvent paramMotionEvent) {
    3.         if (player != null) {
    4.             player.onTouchEvent(paramMotionEvent);
    5.         }
    6.     }
    So, all you really need to do is create your scene inside Unity's.

My English isn't that great so I hope you understand my explanation. If you have any problems feel free to contact me :)

Best regards,
    Shinx

36. mdewyea

mdewyea

So excited!! Looks like i gotta downgrade unity but it will be worth it. Do a great tuturial like andrew kramer does on video copilot.com. Do you guys know if Unity 3.5 will be able to load my 4.0 project or will I have to rebuild

37. electricseed

electricseed

Hi Shinx,

thx for the explanation for the touch/scroll events. Do you have plans to integrate a SettingsActivity in the projects? Is there a way to do that in eclipse afterwards or do you see another possibility?

38. shinx

shinx

It's already done :)
    I even created a "double tap" on the Android Home Screen that directly opens the Live Wallpaper Settings Activity :D

39. Caliber-Mengsk

Caliber-Mengsk

Unity 3 is not able to read unity 4 files. You should be able to import the majority of the assets (3d models, textures, scripts, etc) by just copying the asset folder, but the prefabs and scenes themselves will more then likely have to be rebuilt. Shouldn't be extremely hard since you have a reference to work from (your unity 4 scenes) but will take a little time.

40. luvcoolstuff

luvcoolstuff

Just watched the video, its great and straight foward. Hope to see the plugin soon.:p
    Anyway, have you tested it on a real android device?

Last edited: Mar 16, 2013
  41. electricseed

electricseed

nice going shinx, I'm eager to get this into my hands :)

42. Horror

Horror

Hell yeah! I had a scene ready to go for Unity 4 but it shouldn't take too long to rebuild it in Unity 3.5.

The plugin looks pretty straight forward on the video! Nice work; waiting in anticipation :)

43. luvcoolstuff

luvcoolstuff

I also have a scene made in unity 4 and switched to 3.4 afterwards. So I would be glad if this plugin can make things work.

44. shinx

shinx

Yes. Tested on Xperia X8 (Armv6) and Ascend G300 (Armv7).

45. luvcoolstuff

luvcoolstuff

Ok, i see.:D

46. Horror

Horror

47. shinx

shinx

48. mdewyea

mdewyea

I cant find it in the asset store

49. Horror

Horror

Unity needs to approve it before it will show up on the store.

50. shinx

shinx

Just like Horror said, I'm still waiting for aproval.

In the meantime check out the video and the site with some tutorials.

http://mirageunity.wordpress.com/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.