Search Unity

Firefox OS

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Grespon, Feb 26, 2013.

1. Grespon

Grespon

2. Starsman Games

Starsman Games

It's my understanding you cant do "native" code for Firefox OS, it's all based around HTML5 local apps. That alone kills any chance for Unity support.

3. khanstruct

khanstruct

If you had asked me last year, I'd be all over it. However, the buggy crap that Firefox has been putting out lately has recently forced me into Chrome.

4. Grespon

Grespon

What about a kind of Web Player ?

5. MarigoldFleur

MarigoldFleur

Something tells me Firefox OS isn't going to do much in the market and will capture an even smaller marketshare than Windows Phone 8 and Blackberry 10.

6. Starsman Games

Starsman Games

The web player IS native code. Also: I have not read anything about this Firefox OS offering any ability to create plugins, even if they are just HTML5 themselves.

It seems so far "apps" are written in HTML5

7. Grespon

Grespon

that sucks...
    And what about some kind of conversion to WebGL ? Anyway it would be really slower, I guess..

8. zeh

zeh

With no direct support from major manufacturers (e.g. someone shipping millions of phones with it), FireFox OS is not going anywhere. It will be one of those alternative OSs that one can install on their phone after unlocking, nothing more.

It's a nice experiment. But not a platform worth pursuing in any way for game developers.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
  9. SevenBits

SevenBits

Canonical's Ubuntu for phones seems more plausible at this time in my opinion.