Search Unity

Forum maintenance and UPGRADE tomorrow.

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Aurore, Feb 26, 2013.

1. Aurore

Aurore

Director of Real-Time Learning

Hello everyone!

Tomorrow on the 27th of February 2013 at 10am GMT the forums will be down for maintenance and upgrade for roughly 3 hours.

Check this link for a time zone near you!
    http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclo...ade+of+destiny.+&iso=20130227T10&p1=1352&ah=3

Yes, I did say upgrade, now it's nothing fancy, we've been running on a dinosaur version of our forum software for ages and we need to change it. There are a few new features and fixes for some issues I've had complaints about, but it's mainly cosmetic with a sprinkle of other background stuff for the web dev guys. Even though we have tested it there may be some "features" that may need reporting (by that I mean bugs), if you do find something wrong PM me with a clear description, reproductions steps and screenshot.

Keep an eye out on Unity's Twitter where I'll be posting when the forums will be back up https://twitter.com/unity3d

Attached Files:

2. Code_Of_Honour

Code_Of_Honour

Ooh, Forum Upgrade of Destiny. Sounds great, hopefully there won't be too many bugs. :D

3. Aurore

Aurore

Director of Real-Time Learning

Fingers crossed!

4. dyox

dyox

Post creation bug on Google chrome. Youtube embeded player and youtube link bugs on forum. Icons on Forum index bugs (chrome). No more Video icon on post edition. It's normal ?

$bug2.png
    $bugs.png

And it's not possible to use "ATTACH" tag. img not working

Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
  5. wccrawford

wccrawford

Clear your cache and try again. They know about the video issue and are fixing it.

6. Daniel_Brauer

Daniel_Brauer

Unity Technologies

Who is actually in charge of the forum software? I know Matt Mechtley was involved in the original version of the current setup, but he was apparently not in a position to make changes after the original installation.

I would really like to see the return of previous/next thread links when viewing threads. They have been unaccountably absent since Matt's installation, and it would be really nice to see their return.

7. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

We have an internal guy working on it as well as a contractor. There are some things I miss too from the old forum such as thread view count. Aslo I miss that in the old forum if you could search for a specific post and it would take you too that specific spot in the thread... now it only takes you to the thread which can be a nightmare if you're trying to find something in a thread with more than 10 pages.

Anyway, if you have feedback for improvements please post them here or here for now.

8. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

I wish the "report a post" links in emails would actually go to the specific post in question...the way it is now makes figuring out what people are trying to report somewhat difficult at times.

--Eric

9. Daniel_Brauer

Daniel_Brauer

Unity Technologies

It would be good if:
    1. Forum search results said which subforum each result was in, instead of "Forums"
    2. There were previous/next thread buttons in the thread view. Going through twenty new threads is twice as bad when you need to load two pages to get to the next thread.
    3. Code wasn't double-spaced when selected in Safari. This used to work, but it's broken. I realize it's hard to get things to work properly in every browser, but Safari is big enough here that it ought to be supported.
    4. Threads were locked after a couple months of inactivity. People resurrect seven-year-old threads to tell everyone that some solution from 1.6 doesn't work in 4.0. A lot of other forums have this feature, and I think it's a useful policy when dealing with a product that's being updated all the time like Unity is. It is always possible to make a new thread and link to the old one.
    5. Blocking people effectively erased them from the forum when you were logged in. There are a few incredibly annoying characters around here who aren't technically breaking any rules, but waste a lot of time. I would quite like it if posts they made, and threads they started were just invisible to me.
    6. The results from "Find Latest Posts" were stamped by date, rather than just time. I'm not sure why they only have the time they were posted, since Find Latest Threads works fine, and regular search has reasonable stamps as well.
    7. "Mark Forums Read" didn't dump you back at the root page. In general, nothing except explicitly going to the root page should take you there.

10. lockbox

lockbox

Forum is very sluggish/laggy at the moment. And when replying in a particular thread , it would go to a blank screen and my reply wasn't posted. I had to repeat the process about 3-4 times before it took.

11. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

This, When reporting threads/people its quite hard to explain who you are talking about without typing in depth, it would be nice to just hit report on the user/their post and not have to type an explanation, that way staff can come along and do whats appropriate.

There are a lot of bugs that defiantly need ironing out, hope it gets sorted soon

edit: nevermind, cleared cache and fixed. Thanks.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2013
  12. Kaji-Atsushi

Kaji-Atsushi

Good to hear Unity is maintaining all of its systems properly :D. The icons were off putting for a bit, but I'm sure I'll get the hang if it soon.

Kudos

13. Daniel_Brauer

Daniel_Brauer

Unity Technologies

On the off chance that there is actually a person working on forum software, and that they're actually reading this, I have another request:

• Disallow animated GIFs as avatars. We don't need animated forums.

14. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

I dont know if its me but the forum seems to be screwed up again.