Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

eDriven.Gui - Free edition

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by dkozar, Feb 25, 2013.

1. dkozar

dkozar

I've been receiving a numerous requests from you guys, for releasing the "preview" version of eDriven.Gui.

Most of you just wanna try before buying - so, I created the free version! :)

Download the Free Edition here

You can use this version for evaluation and educational purposes, and for component development as well*.

If you want to use it in any other way, you need to upgrade to a commercial version.

There's no missing functionality, just watermarks here and there.

Since eDriven.Core has already been free, now you have the entire framework under your hands to play with! :)

Happy coding, and welcome to the asynchronous world! :)

Danko Kozar

------------------

* Component developers could easily export their components as extensions (created with both free and the full version) as Unity package, without the need of incorporating the eDriven.Gui package inside - see this link.

Links:

Homepage: http://edrivengui.com
    Forum: http://forum.edrivengui.com
    Demo site (old): http://edrivenunity.com/gui
    API: http://edriven.dankokozar.com/api/2-0/
    Asset Store link: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/?#/content/3796
    Video playlist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ln4WXbjWPZc&list=PL7EE340828F962941

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 20, 2014
  2. jeff-smith

jeff-smith

I've looked at the user manual and some of your videos and eDriven.Gui looks intriguing. I didn't notice any "how-to" tutorial or video showing someone completely unfamiliar with eDriven.Gui how to create a simple form with a couple of components (button, text field, etc).

Is there a tutorial showing someone how to create a simple eDriven.Gui application? If not, perhaps you could create one.

We're currently using NGUI-- do you have any doc where you contrast eDriven.Gui to NGUI?

Thank you,
    Jeff Smith

3. dkozar

dkozar

Hi, this is totally true. The problem with videos are that I'm such a perfectionist that it takes me a huge amount of time to make one. But yeah, I'll make some fresh videos.

There is a Hello world video, which explains the basics (creation from the code, alerts, callbacks and skinning) - those basics scale to large apps.

There are some older videos explaining eDriven events, as well as creating complex components.

However, yes, this is one of the next steps. I just need to create the designer demo.

Also, I'd very very much appreciate users creating videos. :)

There's a bunch of demos included in the pack (both free and commercial), and a few starting extensions (fully developed custom components, having their internal logic and exposing events). Take a look here (these are already included in the pack).

I don't like to compare with other packages (one of the reasons is that didn't use them, also there's this inconvenience of commenting other people's work).

But as I heard from other users, NGUI is really a great library (great for mobile because of the 3D renderer).
    eDriven.Gui (still) uses only the default UnityGUI renderer draw components on screen.
    So this would be the main difference - a mobile performance.

Thank you for your questions! :)

Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
  4. OutIn

OutIn

It looks great.I am going to try it.

5. dkozar

dkozar

Great! You may post your questions or suggestions here.

For questions, please first look for the answers in the Q&A thread. The manual could be found here.

Cheers! :)

6. jessica1986

jessica1986

Very good step to popularize it..
    Just a suggestion, that will boooooooost your sales for sure.

You should include 5 to 10 sample examples with sample videos like -
    [As it will mostly be useful for database driven apps]

1. Form to create an invoice, join to paypal
    2. Kind of a calendar to add a task
    3. table with multiple entries and how to update a row in the table
    4. a data entry big form with many gui elements like drop down, multiple selection etc
    5. contact form
    6. post to fb .. all joined to simple php,mysql db
    few more whatever u can think, people will stop thinkin , tryin and start buying

7. dkozar

dkozar

Hi,

Thanks for your suggestions!

I could totally agree :) The only problem is I have only 24h per day and I couldn't possibly do it (since this is currently my 2nd job).
    The idea behind building the extensible framework was to allow other developers to build their own components.
    I made a few extensions (an extension = component + adapter + editor) which are being distributed with the package, but I should surely make the explanation videos.

About the PHP backend - I have plans for doing just that for a long time (having a simple PHP script returning some DB values, this script could then be distributed with the component as the basic server-side example). The only problem is - as I said - the time I don't have. :|

8. jeff-smith

jeff-smith

9. dkozar

dkozar

That's right. This video describes the 'coding' part. It explains the usage of the Gui class (MonoBehaviour, the adapter for Stage). You can find a number of examples in the Demo/Gui/Code folder.

There is also 'the designer way' of doing things, with demos in the Demo/Gui/Designer folder.

Have fun! ;)

10. jeff-smith

jeff-smith

If you are trying out eDriven.Gui yourself and want to create a very simple example from scratch (not in the middle of the demo project), you may get stuck on how to initialize eDriven.Gui so you can begin adding your own components and script code.

I fiddled around with it some and here are the steps you need to take:

eDriven.Gui Setup For New Project
    ---------------------------------

Create new Unity project
    Assets --> Import Package --> Custom Package
    eDriven.Gui_free-1_8.unitypackage

Under Hierarchy create GameObjects in the following hierarchy:
    ->GUI
    --->Fonts
    ---->Scripts
    ---->Skins
    ->Main Camera

Select GUI-->Fonts from Hierarchy
    Add Component --> eDriven --> Gui --> FontMapper (Script)
    For the Font variable, click little "O" button to open files, and select px_sans_nouveau
    make sure "Default" is checked

Select GUI-->Scripts from Hierarchy
    Add Component --> eDriven --> Gui --> GuiInspector (Script)
    Create your own script (e.g. SearchScreen.cs) and add to GUI/Scripts GameObject

Select GUI-->Skins from Hierarchy
    Add component --> eDriven --> Gui --> Styles --> ButtonStyleMapper
    make sure "Default" is checked

Select Main Camera
    set position (X,Y,Z) = (0,0,-10)

My SearchScreen.cs script:

<code>
    using eDriven.Gui;
    using eDriven.Gui.Components;

public class SearchScreen : Gui
    {
    override protected void CreateChildren()
    {
    base.CreateChildren();

Button btn = new Button();
    btn.Text = "Howdy Jeff";
    AddChild(btn);
    }
    }
    </code>

You should be able to run your program and see the button without error. From there, you can follow the excellent HelloWorld video created by dkozar:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odd-O_wlSQo

Last edited: Mar 4, 2013
  11. dkozar

dkozar

Jeff! This is just what I needed! :)

You made my day!! :)

You know, having eDriven as a 2nd job + having a wife and kid doesn't leave me very much space for tutorials. So any initiative like yours is welcome.

I'd also be happy to see eDriven video tutorials. You are free to record anything made with eDriven and put it in your channel.

Also, if there is any cool demo around, I'd be happy to upload it to www.edrivenunity.com, with proper credits of course. :)

12. jeff-smith

jeff-smith

I've added audio to my simple project and will add more components this week. Like you, I have kids, so I am moving slowly. :)

13. dkozar

dkozar

Hi guys. eDriven has been tested on iOS and few bugs have been fixed.

You just have to grab the new eDriven.Networking.dll contained within this package and replace the old networking DLL within the eDriven/Libs folder (do not touch other DLLs).

The fix will be released with versions 1.8.1 free and 1.9 commercial.

Additionally, for fixing the "trampolines" issue, look here.

Danko

http://edrivengui.com/news/more-ios/

14. dkozar

dkozar

Just updated eDriven.Gui Free to v1.9!

You can get it using the link at the top of this thread.

This version has currently all the features of the incoming eDriven.Gui 1.9 version in the Asset Store.

Note: this version differs from only 1.8 only in eDriven.Networking.dll (containing iOS fixes). Unfortunately, didn't have much time so I had to push further updates to v1.10 which will follow soon (planning to work on it this weekend - it will contain multiple big fixes).

(also note that - internally - DLL versions still read 1.8. I had to change version to 1.9 (not 1.8.1) because of the Asset Store naming rules)

Cheers!

Last edited: Mar 21, 2013
  15. dkozar

dkozar

16. CaptainExtra300

CaptainExtra300

was watching the demo videos but i just dont get it how is this app will help me building a GUI for my game project.

Looks like a web browser, or a word processor app with a 3d background, i just dont see the relation with a game dev point of view.
    or maybe was intended for like a powerpoint business presentation to show off some 3d model prototype?

sorry for the critique, maybe this app is a little over my head at a simple glance that dont see how is it going to help me dev a game gui in unity.

sorry bro, but maybe you can make it more game related or simpler that we can see how this will help us building a game gui.
    plus is a little bit over priced imho

good day

Last edited: Mar 26, 2013
  17. sloopidoopi

sloopidoopi

Hi,
    I'm playing around with the free version on IOS . I realized a problem with the list component on mobile devices (IOS): When I touch one item in the list it is highlighted on touchdown. When I leave the finger down and slide over the list the actual item gets highlighted .If the touchup item is different then the touchdown item the touchup item stay highlighted, but it is not really selected. So you have states where two item have a highlight in a list. (The real selected and the last touchUp item. )
    For touch usabillity this is a misleading behaviour. Are there any workarounds?

18. dkozar

dkozar

Just recently bought a touch-enabled device. I will work on touches very soon.

19. dkozar

dkozar

Hi!

The reason I made eDriven is because I had to program some GUIs using Unity, and since I have the web application development I was looking for a system similar to my expectations.

That system didn't exist, so I had to create my own. :)

You want to see it in 3D? Me too! :)

The fact that Unity doesn't have any usable low-level 3D GUI yet is the reason that eDriven.Gui is 2D.

However, 3D is just a detail. :)

This system could help you if you are going to work on more complex GUIs.

What this system introduces is:
    • Creating your components with C# and using them both the code and from designer
    • Infinite nesting (your component could be a container, having onother container as a child, then some other control as a sub child etc. - much like browser DIVs)
    • Instantiating such a complex control and putting it on screen with 2 lines of code
    • Dialogs, alerts
    • A robust publish-subscribe event system at its core
    • and many many more
    If you don't see the purpose of this framework, there are certainly other frameworks more appropriate for your use. I would suggest NGUI, EzGUI etc.

Yeah, it could be... From my standpoint it's not. People are also satisfied with the price and what it offers in general.

Cheers!

20. sloopidoopi

sloopidoopi

I realized that most components have problems with touchUp events when you act like I described.
    Is the IOS usability on top your agenda? I ask because I want to buy the asset(with the 30% bonus :D ), but I need to know if I could expect soon a version that is usable on mobile devices.(And I know from other projects, that customers get confused with these visual problems, even if the functionality is right).

21. dkozar

dkozar

Pls see this: http://edrivengui.com/news/the-touch-question/

I've the concept already in place, I just have to plug it into components. However, I cannot guarantee the exact date.

Yeah, I know about the 30% OFF, but I'd really like to have satisfied customers. So I won't push you to buy it (don't buy it if you don't really need it - in a sense that you could implement it with other battle-tested touch framework).

ps making components bigger would also help for touches. In my demos I'm using a tiny 8px font and corresponding component sizes, sou really have to skin it using the bigger fonts/graphics.

22. dkozar

dkozar

eDriven.Gui Free is now updated to v1.10!

You can get it using the link at the top of this thread.

This version includes multiple bug fixes (TextField focus bug, StyleMapper bugs etc.)

The package introduces two new demos:
    • Drag drop demo 2 (the inventory demo)
    • Console demo
    eDriven.Gui (commercial version) has been submitted and is pending in the Asset Store.

Danko

Last edited: Mar 29, 2013
  23. Laurie-Athey349

Laurie-Athey349

I get the following error everytime I try to import the free version. When I read that the free one was updated I downloaded and tried it but now it crashes unity everytime I import it.

$Errors.png

Am I doing something wrong?

24. dkozar

dkozar

Hi,

never seen such a thing. I tested with both PC and Mac and it works for me.

If you had eDriven.Core previously installed, please remove it first. eDriven.Gui has all the libraries needed.

Open a fresh project and then install eDriven.gui - just to see if it works and why id doesn't work with your setup.

25. dkozar

dkozar

eDriven.Gui Free updated to v1.11!

You can get it using the link on top of this thread.

This version has currently all the features of the incoming eDriven.Gui 1.11 commercial version pending in the Asset Store.

The designer in this version is pretty much stable. You could still have issues when reordering children or adding them to Panel's toolbar groups and Dialog's button groups. That's the only designer thing that's left and (hopefully) will be fixed with v1.12.

Bug fixes:
    • fixed the deletion of the previous scene objects when loading the next level pragramatically
    • fixed the selection rectangle issues
    • when adding or removing children from the container, the Children view now refreshes automatically
    • another text field bug fixed
    • no more "persistence" bugs; everything should be saved when the play mode is stopped
    Another cool feature I added is automatic game object script analysis.

Based on this the additional icons are being displayed in the hierarchy view. These icons are useful for navigation since they are indicating that the game object contains:
    • eDriven.Gui component adapter (blue dot)
    • style mappers (red dot)
    • font mappers (green dot)
    • audio player mappers (orange dot)
    • attached scripts having with methods having the event handler signature (lightning) - when clicked automatically switches to the Events view

$hierarchy.png

$hierarchy2.png

Last edited: Apr 4, 2013
  26. Keziake

Keziake

Look like you want these examples to copy paste and make your own software.

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/15...ike-Invoice-or-daybook-Unity-Geeks-plz-advise

27. dkozar

dkozar

28. dkozar

dkozar

29. dkozar

dkozar

eDriven.Gui 30% OFF - End of Quarter Sale!!! (until June 30)

Get it for only $175 instead of $250! :)

Due to a great succes of the last 24H Sale, I decided to start the End of Quarter sale a little bit earlier, so giving you guys the opportunity for getting eDriven at a more affordable price!!

Note: the 50% OFFs are reserved for the Asset Store sales *exclusively* - I cannot guarantee when will they happen and will they happen at all (they are deciding on whom to call).

While waiting for the upcoming v1.12 release, check out the things to come the news:

Creating iOS and Android applications using C# and Unity: http://edrivengui.com/news/creating-ios-and-android-applications-using-c-and-unity/
    Script auto-generation: http://edrivengui.com/news/script-auto-generation/
    Rewriting a scrollview: http://edrivengui.com/news/rewriting-scrollview/
    More news: http://edrivengui.com/category/news/

Of course, you can always try before you buy: Download the Free edition HERE! :cool:

$edriven-sale-june.png

Last edited: Jun 8, 2013
  30. dkozar

dkozar

Release v1.12 Free edition beta? Read this for details.

Thoughts?

31. dkozar

dkozar

32. dkozar

dkozar

Last edited: Aug 6, 2013
  33. shinares

shinares

Hi,

I want to make a clickable map on unity so what I have in mind is a map on the top left / right of the screen and if the player click on the map, the map will become bigger in the middle of the screen and the player can click on the map to "move" to different place accordingly. Can I do that with this GUI ? Thanks

34. dkozar

dkozar

Yes you can. eDriven.Gui uses tweens so you could animate this transition from top-right to the center of the screen.

It's just a meter of writing custom tween, capturing start and end values and tween between them (using the Rectangle interpolator, so both the size and position of the map are being tweened) - similar to this console.

35. shinares

shinares

Hi Danko,

Thank you for the reply. By any chance you can give me suggestions roughly on how to add the clickable map on edriven ? I googled around and some methods used to create a clickable map are by using colliders and masks (http://answers.unity3d.com/questions/310044/clickable-map.html). Are these methods still applicable in edriven ?

36. dkozar

dkozar

No, eDriven works in the screen plane and is built on top of IMGUI rendering routines. So it has nothing with colliders.

What you have to do is to listen to he click event dispatched by the image in question. This event contains the local coordinates, where the origin is the top-left corner of the map.

So, create an image, assign it a texture and subscribe to mouse click event. More on this in the manual, and in the Q&A thread.

37. dkozar

dkozar

After more than a year on the Asset Store, I just thought this is the right time for fine-tuning the eDriven.Gui price. :)

>>> Read more <<<

38. dkozar

dkozar

39. dkozar

dkozar

eDriven.Gui 2.0 is still pending in the Asset Store.

Meanwhile, take a look at some of the new features.

eDriven.Gui is on sale until Dec 31 - get it for $125 instead of $200!!!

40. dkozar

dkozar

41. dkozar

dkozar

42. dkozar

dkozar

43. dkozar

dkozar

eDriven.Gui CRAZY PRICE DROP:

Only $50 - until March 31!!!!!

*** You DON'T wanna miss THAT!!! ***

>>> Read more <<<

$edrivengui_featured.png

44. dkozar

dkozar

45. dkozar

dkozar

46. dkozar

dkozar

47. KAYUMIY

KAYUMIY

these F***ing links above is not working.