Search Unity

Hayate turbulence particle system for Shuriken

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by MaxProude, Feb 24, 2013.

1. MaxProude

MaxProude

////////////////////////////////////////////UPDATE 3.0\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
    Hayate 3 Demo | Hayate 3 Manual | Trailer | Tutorials | Website

The latest release of Hayate Particle Turbulence brings a bunch of new features and improvements. The whole code has been rewritten to optimize performance and to implement new features. Not only is Hayate a tool to add Turbulence to Shuriken ParticleSystems, but also
    comes with a variaty of features that allows you to create awesome effects. Those effects complement Unity 3D's Shuriken Particle System and allow you to create effects that were not possible before.

New features:

-New Editor
    The Editor has been completely rewored to give you maximum precision while keeping it clean and simple.

-UI / 2D Effects
    This allows you to create Screen swipes, abstract and geometric effects using particles.

-Animation Curve Turbulence
    This feature allows you to create Turbulence from Curves. With Animation Curves you can 'paint' Turbulence right in the editor as you are used to from normal Unity Animation Curves.

-Animated Values
    Hayate 3 lets you toggle between static values and Animation Curves. These Curves are evaluated over the Emitter Lifetime and empowers you to animate Hayate 3 Effects just as you are used to in Shuriken. No need of additional Animation and Controler files.

Enhanced features:

- Mesh targets
    Mesh targets are Meshes that can be targeted by Particles. The vertex position is used to determine the Particle's position. Both Meshes and Skinned Meshes are supported.

-Transform Particles
    Use any Transform to follow a particles position, like Arrows (Looking into flight direction) and Trails (Waiting until disapeared before destroying).

-Turbulence generation
    Create Turbulence from Sine, Cosine, Perlin, Animation Curves, Texture and Audio.

Screenshots:

f9d25f1f-c660-4c98-9aa7-4271c6ef71bf_scaled.jpg

84ec1aab-21fc-4b66-bac5-1d3902f293ba_scaled.jpg

$01_Hayate_v1_2.jpg

$6.jpg

$4.jpg

Make sure to check out the Demo to see everything in action!

////////////////////////////////////////////UPDATE 2.0\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

New Demo 2.0 :http://maxiproud.com/Unity/WEBPLAYER/Hayate_2_0.html
    Demo 1.x :http://maxiproud.com/Unity/Hayate_v1_3.html

Hayate 2.0 is the successor of Hayate 1.X and comes with a new design, reworked code, better performance and a bunch of new features. If you are looking for particle turbulence working together with Shuriken, Hayate is the best choice. It is easy to set up, works on every platform and creates outstanding results. It is possible to create a turbulence field from built-in functions like sine, cosine and perlin but the most powerful new feature is the texture based turbulence. This brand new feature gives you perfect control over the turbulence characteristics. Some of the other features include:

-Mesh targets: Move particles from your particle system towards a mesh
    -Transform particles: Use transforms as particles
    -Follow point: Make particles follow a point (Vector Transform)
    -Create a turbulence field from Texture and Audio (Separate channel/ axis)
    -Better performance: Use Sine, Cosine or Perlin for better performance while keeping naturalistic movement
    -Threading
    -More options, better control
    -Much more!!!

More Info: http://maxiproud.com/?p=122

////////////////////////////////////////////UPDATE 1.2\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

Hayate 1.2 has been released and is now available at the asset store.
    The latest version comes with a bunch of new features including:

-Two new turbulence options (Velocity: absolute and relative)
    -Particle collision
    -Emit transforms
    -Visualisation of turbulence field
    -Performance increases
    - Improved editor

You can try out the new Demo here: http://maxiproud.com/Unity/Hayate_v1_3.html
    With this major update you can create stunning effects for your game and cutscenes.

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////// 1.0 - 1.1\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

EDIT: Hayate is now available in the asset store! Didn't know that this is going so fast. https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/#/content/7250

Hey guys and girls,

today I present to you my latest development "Hayate" which is a turbulence particle add-on for the Shuriken particle system.

Before I started I thought to myself... why can't you create particle effects a la particular that everyone of you knows from movies.
    I figured that this would improve the style of a game very much especialy after I saw the new Apex turbulence mady by nvidia.
    After a little bit of research I found out that it's not possible or at least very difficult. So I decided to take mattters into my own hand and below are the results (Attchment).

Hayate (fresh breeze in Japanese) can be dragged and dropped ontop of your existing particle effects(that use Shuriken) and create very impressive effects in my oppinion.If you would like to take a look for yourself please have a look at my introductory video, my documentation and the demo:

DEMO: http://maxiproud.com/Unity/Hayate_v1_3.html
    DOCUMENTATION: https://www.dropbox.com/s/x44yx6rqk0q53y4/Hayate and Nuke particle system Reference.pdf
    Youtube-video:

In Hayate you are able to change the turbulence field, distortion scale, animate the tubulence offset and much more!
    I hope you like it and give me some feedback.

I'll submit this package to the asset store soon.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2015
  2. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

Lovely

overthere likes this.
  3. tomaszek

tomaszek

Veeery cool. How do you find possibility of using your system for emulating smoke behaviour ? I'd really love to be able to collide the smoke with some simple geometry like plane, cylinder for spectacular wheel burn out simulation. Using volumetric navier-stockes on DX11 hardware seems to be the best but is maybe overshoot for racing game and wouldn't work on DX9 / openGL platforms.

4. soldmeadow

soldmeadow

Looks great. How much are you planning to charge?

5. Play_Edu

Play_Edu

Hi,

great work,

play_edu

6. sipon

sipon

Really great work !
    how will cost this package ?

7. MaxProude

MaxProude

Hi tomaszek, well I guess you could do that but since Hayate is not using shaders I think it is not possible to use only particles without texture animations to simulate smoke. In fact I tried to create a feature that works on every platform including mobile devices. I tested the Demo on my Galaxy Note (1) and it works. As for collision... Sorry that's not working anymore :( I am recalculating the new particle position and therefore overriding the position wich makes it move through colliders. But I'll try to fix this in the future.

I am not sure what the best price / value of Hayate is so I'll wait 'till I get a recommendation from Unity.

8. Samsson

Samsson

Wow it looks really nice !

When do you plan to submit it to the asset store ?

9. MaxProude

MaxProude

So I just got the info that Hayate has been approved by the Unity QA and will be available in the assetstore.
    I set the price to 50$. What do you think? Price too high/ too low (probably not :D)?!

Do you find this useful? If not can you tell me why?

10. Samsson

Samsson

Ouch, 50 $ is maybe too expensive, i would buy it for something like 30-35 $.
    50 $ make it the second most expensive package in particules category .

11. MaxProude

MaxProude

Ok I see your point! But don't forget the nice effects you can create with this. If you sell your product (using particles as a core feature or not) you can make a lot of money out of this. So I think a 50$ buyout isn't too expensive, is it?

12. ZJP

ZJP

13. MaxProude

MaxProude

Your'right it's competition. Haha! :D But I guess since those are direct X particles this will only run on Windows, right? I tested my system on Android successfully. The demo runs on android as good as on the pc (except the first scene and without post effects of course ;D)

14. ronan-thibaudau

ronan-thibaudau

Not just "just on windows", but "just on windows with directX 11". It's much more advanced, but targets a very limited user base, i'd say your 2 projects aren't really in competition / after the same market.

15. ZJP

ZJP

You're right. ;)
    So, for 35$ i'm in.

16. EvansGreen

EvansGreen

I think the system is worth 50$ if it delivers what it promises. Haven't tested it yet though.

Proble here is the asset store prize standards are usually fairly cheap... So I don't know, ZJP definitely has a point, more people would buy it if it was 35$, but I guess you'll have to do the math on potential customers vs higher price :p

It looks like a good job, though, cheers!

17. Play_Edu

Play_Edu

Hi,

does it run on iOs, mobile and Android?.

regards

play_edu

18. MaxProude

MaxProude

Hi Play_edu. I tested the demo on my galaxy note without post effects etc. it runs but of course you will have to use much less particles. Do you have an android device? I can give you the apk to test it out. cheers. Max

19. elbows

elbows

Does this work with Unity 3.5? I'm still on Unity 3.5.7 and the asset store wont let me buy it, says I need to upgrade to 4.0.1 instead of showing me the price button.

20. MaxProude

MaxProude

Hi elbows, I don't have the possibility to check if it's working or not but I am pretty sure it works. I guess Unity won't let you download it because of the post effect I used in the demo. I'll update the package in the asset store this week. If I know for 100% if it works or not I'll let you know!

21. elbows

elbows

Thanks. Having now read a few things on the topic of 3.5 asset compatibility, it sounds like I'll only be able to buy this if you publish to the asset store using Unity 3.5 rather than 4, which is a pain for all concerned. I would just upgrade to 4 but I'm using Unity Pro and cant afford the upgrade right now.

22. MaxProude

MaxProude

I'm going to upload an update this weekend that basically removes all the image effects and Unity 4 stuff from the package.
    It would be of great help if you could tell me in the future if that did the trick! Thank you!

23. elbows

elbows

Just been reading some other threads and I'm sure they confirm that you'll need to upload the asset to the store using Unity 3.5 in order for people on 3.5 to buy it.

24. varfare

varfare

What about performance? How expensive Hayate is? Can you confirm that it works under 3.5?

25. MaxProude

MaxProude

Hey varfare. Due to performance I limited it to 40.000 particles (much less if you emit meshes or transforms). I tested Hayate on all kinds of Windows machines (Windows 7/8 and tablet computers and on android). Do you use Unity 3.5 pro? I am 99% sure that it works on 3.5 as well because of the api's I used but I never had the possibility to try it out. I will try it tomorrow and post the results ASAP. Currently I am also working on an improved version that can visualize the distortion field, has a custom editor for easy usage and allows particle collision as well as different kinds of turbulences (absolute and relative velocity; Currently only has absolute position manipulation). I still have to fix a few bugs.

Have you tried the demo? The first blast has about 20.000 particles.If you like I can export the demo as APK so you can try it out on your android device.

26. varfare

varfare

Thanks for your reply! There is no need for a apk as I am intrested in using it on PC ;) If you were to compare emitting 200 particles with Shuriken only and 200 particles with Hayate, how heavier is it?

Future updates sound promising! Having turbulence field visualized is a huge time-saver!

27. MaxProude

MaxProude

Ok I just tried to use Hayate with Unity 3.5 and unfortunately it doesn't work.
    Some API has changed and therfore is not compatible. Example: gameObject.enabled = true; became gameObject.SetActive(true);
    Sorry :(

28. MaxProude

MaxProude

I am not very sure how to measure the performance exactely so you can compare it to your computer but here's what I got:
    200 particles 25%; 2000 particles: 14.7%; 20,000 particles: 62.7%. The percentage is taken directely from the profiler and displays the contribution to the total calculation time. I hope that helps. I ran 40.000 particles with Hayate smoothely at 30-35 fps. I don't recommend using that many particles though except there is nothing else running in the scene :)

29. Pangamini

Pangamini

Hey there. Is it possible to use world space / relativeToSomething coordinates for the turbulence calculation? I am using this for explosions and they all look the same since the turbulence is local per each explosion.

30. MaxProude

MaxProude

Hi there,

it is possible to change that by randomizing the offset at the beginning. I had the same problem so for the next release I implemented a button that will randomize the offset so the effects dont look alike everytime. Also there are a bunch of new features. You can take a look at it here.

http://maxiproud.com/Unity/Hayate_v1_3.html

Im still working on it but hopefully I'll be able to release it this week,

31. resheez

resheez

will it work with Legacy Particle System??

32. MaxProude

MaxProude

Sorry but it only works with Shuriken. BTW: A new version of Hayate (1.3a) is currently under review and brings a bunch of new features.
    You can have a look at the demo here: http://maxiproud.com/Unity/Hayate_v1_3.html

New features:

-Move particles towards a mesh's vertices (Subdivision feature included)
    -Runs with Unity 3.5
    -All Simulations can now run in edit mode too.
    -Randomization of offset at the beginning to make effects more diverse.
    -Much more. Check out the new Demo!

33. neroziros

neroziros

Hi Max,

Just to report that the demo seems to be down

34. MaxProude

MaxProude

Hi there,

thanks but for me everything works fine. Did you test the link above?

35. Pangamini

Pangamini

Hm... does it only work with certain world scale? I have a small paricle system (>0.1) and all particles are always dragged in the same direction.... Amplitude seems to only make the effect stronger and frequency seems to be just a multiplier of the amplitude. How can i make it work in other scale?

-Also the amplitude is in world coordinates, can i make it local? (so particles dispersed in one plane will stay there if amplitude Z = 0)

36. Alexey Andreev

Alexey Andreev

Hi!
    Great particle addon, I'm happy I've bougtht it

Small bug here
    When I use target to mesh feature in play mode both methods of interpolation "by time" and "by distance" work fine.
    But when I use it in the scene view with the play mode turned of, only "by distance" works nice and "by time" interpolation freezes the whole particle system.

Not a big deal but still will be great if it can be fixed,

UPD:
    Just noticed that the whole system works nice only when in play mode, can it be fixed? it makes it harder to tweak

Last edited: Oct 3, 2013
  37. MaxProude

MaxProude

Hey! thank you for the feedback. I'll take a look into it as soon as possible. Have you tried pushing the pause button twice? For some reason it starts again if you do so. Hope that helps. If I find a way to fix this I'll do so.

Max

38. Alexey Andreev

Alexey Andreev

Thank you for considering this bug. tweaking particles is very difficuly in game mode as no parameter changes can be saved.

mesh target feature is great, but if it is possible to make it work for an animated mesh?! I use it alot in my project and really need the target mesh be animated. Thank you!

UPD: to be clear I mean Skinned mesh animation, not transform animation. Hayate works nice with the transform animation

Last edited: Oct 6, 2013
  39. Play_Edu

Play_Edu

Hi,

Need some help.

Can i make this type of effects .I have one cylinder . inside this cylinder particle have infinity life but after some time particle Escape.also Escape when i inc-rise its forces. Do you have any solution for it.particle dose not Escape inside any collider.
    In Hayate demo scene 5 for Collision.

Regards,
    play_edu

40. MaxProude

MaxProude

Hi play_edu,

I'm not sure what effect you are trying to acomplish. Can you show me a screenshot of the problem? Are you using a meshtarget? There could be a lot of problems that could cause particles going through coliders. Do you colide with planes or world? Maybe if you check this setting?! Also do you emit more particles than there are vertices in the mesh? Did you try to change from absolute to relative and from position manipulation to velocity manipulation?! It could also be a bug. Im currently rewriting the code and adding new features. Ill take a look into it and fix it if I can reproduce the error.

Best,

Max

41. zupabxl2

zupabxl2

Hey,
    I have a few questions before eventually buy this asset :
    I try do use a kinect in unity, and have an avatar of particles displayed that reproduces the player movement ; So far, the results i get are not so bad, but would need more fluidity/randomness. Particles gravitating around joint positions would be nice too. Is this asset may be usefull to do that ? I'm new to unity and coding, so maybe it's too ambitious, i don't know. But i like the fluid like particles in the beginning of your demo, that's pretty much what i'm trying to achieve, but controlled by a kinect, and simulating different elements (water, fire, smoke...)
    thanks in advance !

42. Play_Edu

Play_Edu

43. MaxProude

MaxProude

Hi zupabxl2,

yes that is possible! You could use a meshtarget to bind the particle's position and then control the cohesion and adhesion to make it look like it's swarming around a point/ space. You could also emit particles continuously. To control the particles with kinect you could use external forces but that's a Shuriken feature.

Best,

Max

44. MaxProude

MaxProude

Hi Play_Edu,

I saw the demo and I think that this demo can not be create 100% with shuriken only since Shuriken particles dont colide with eachother.
    If you dont care you could make a box, set the particle colision to planes and set quality to high. Thatway you save a little bit of performance while having correct particle collision. Also make sure not to use position manipulation in the Hayate settings. This will move the particles right through the colliders. I hope that helps.

Best,

Max

45. 3dMOose

3dMOose

Hi Max,
    Nice work on the script! Has there been any movement on getting it to run in the editor (scene mode)?

M

46. MaxProude

MaxProude

Hey,

It works in scene mode! I dont know why but you have to press the pause button twice when running for the first time or returning from gamemode. I try to fix this when i find a solution. Best, Max

47. daqriken

daqriken

Hi,

We bought Hayate for Unity 4.3. I’ve played around a bit with the sample Unity scenes you provide but I can’t seem to be able to create a scene from scratch.

Creating a Shuriken particle system and then adding the Hayate script to it as a component doesn’t seem to work. Things only seem to work within the scenes you provide but not when creating from scratch. I'm new to Unity so perhaps I'm missing something.

Also where is the documentation?

Thx!

48. MaxProude

MaxProude

Hi daqriken,

thank yo ufor buying! :D
    There is a pdf document inside the assetbundle. It contains some information but it's not a tutorial.

Try the following:
    1. Create a new Shuriken particlesystem
    2. Drag and drop Hayate on top of the GameObject.
    3. Press "pause" twice to initiate the update routine in editmode. (Or press "play" to see in game mode)

Are there any changes?

4. Set the Simulation space to World.
    5. Set calculation method to velocity relative.
    6. Increase the amplitude.

Don't see anything yet?
    If you don't have movement can you post a picture of your settings so I can give you better advice.
    What effect are you trying to achieve?

Best,

Max

49. daqriken

daqriken

To clarify, when you say "Drag Drop Hayate on top of the GameObject", do you mean to drag and drop the Hayate script (compiled/non-editable script) from the scripts folder onto the newly created shuriken particle system GameObject in the Inspector window to add it as a component? If so then that's what I've done.

I've also tried dragging the particleSystem prefab from the scenes subdir into the scene. In this case I've noticed that I'm sometimes unable to change parameter values in the Hayate component when not in play mode. And when I can change those values, they always revert to the defaults when playing the scene. Very strange, but again, I'm not sure how much of this is lack of Unity know-how. I come from a Maya/Houdini background so some things are pretty similar but others quite different to Unity.

Thx again!

50. daqriken

daqriken

I think I got it working now in v4.3.3!