Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

MonoDevelop 4 aka Xamarin Studio

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Fenrisul, Feb 24, 2013.

1. Fenrisul

Fenrisul

http://monodevelop.com/

http://monodevelop.com/Download

Umm.. so at this particular moment, Monodevelop's site has a big "3.0" on the front, but when you click the Download link, it says Xamarin Studio Installer for Windows and OSX.

Wat?

These seem to get along with Unity's SLN files, but does anyone know a way to tie it into being able to double click on errors and go to line numbers n' what not?

Any help is appreciated.

2. Jaimi

Jaimi

Here's an update on Xamarin studio:

http://blog.xamarin.com

As for using it for Unity, I have no clue. But I like the slimmed down look for regular IOS development, at least so far, and it feels much snappier.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2013
  3. charmandermon

charmandermon

Just tested it...They did a fantastic job rebuilding this Xamarin Studio. I hope the Unity team integrates this SOON!

4. mindlube

mindlube

Yep it's Monodevelop 4.0 . On the OS X, I renamed the monodevelop that came with Unity, then put Xamarin Studio into the Unity folder and renamed it MonoDevelop.app. It works perfectly (for C# development that is). It even opens files on the correct line # etc. For Debugging or Unity-Javascript, you need to stick with Unity-Monodevelop.

5. Deleted User

Deleted User

changing the default editor in the unity preferences to xamarin studio will suffice to make it work

6. fano_linux

fano_linux

I've just got the license upgrade from xamarin, i'm really gonna try unity with xamarin studio.

7. gungnir

gungnir

I'm on windows.

I can get it to open files by double clicking but it never loads the solution. Also, it loads a new instance of Xamarin Studio every time I click a file.

Any ideas?

Edit:
    I've got it working. I used the 'Open Solution' button on the home page. After that it will open all files in my open instance of Xamarin.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
  8. giyomu

giyomu

using it on the mac , simply changing the default editor in the unity preferences to xamarin studio, and looking great so far, it just do not like js assembly ( but I don't really care about it ) , other than that double click in a script in unity will open it and also lin error or whatever debug form console open the script at proper line as well ..so far look good ^^.

semantic highlighting is back :D...

well mac side of things this seem to work nicely with unity if you are staying on C#

9. gungnir

gungnir

Well, this turned out to be the greatest deception ever.

For the life of me, I can't input a single quote or a double quote: ' or " whatever I try.
    How is it possible that a TEXT editor does not let me input either of those?

(No, the key is not broken)
    If anyone knows how to fix this, please let me know because besides this colossal bug it was running much faster than monodevelop.

10. mindlube

mindlube

not so sure: I have run into a couple of snags,

1) Sometimes there is an error when opening the Unity project, about a missing reference. So I choose Assets menu | Sync monodevelop project, to re-launch
    2) Xamarin sometimes gets confused and opens multiple tabs for the same c# source file. It throws a warning when it's edited in one tab or the other. I've got in the habit of hitting Command-W a lot to close unused tabs frequently.

But overall pretty pleased with it. The code completion / intellisense and opening of files seems much more responsive.

11. mindlube

mindlube

That's just bizarre- only idea I have is try selecting a different font in the preferences.

12. gungnir

gungnir

Bizarre indeed but I have just found a solution.

I sent some feedback and got a reply that it is an issue with GTK (ui toolkit) so I went looking online and found this:
    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/...ingle-quote-in-j-gtk-terminal-under-windows-7

Supposedly related to Dutch keyboards.

13. Fenrisul

Fenrisul

14. mindlube

mindlube

Well I spoke too soon- have gone back to using Monodevelop-Unity. The Xamarin Studio was exhibiting some weirdness on OS X:

1 ) the Document Outline panel is very slow and sometimes just hangs without popuplating fields , methods etc.
    2) It gets confused about what files are open, and opens a new tab when the file is already open in another tab.

15. metalchouchen

metalchouchen

I've just download it too.

But I think I will go back to monodevelop 3.1.0 because Xamarin cost 300$ /year ...

Also after first testing, it's look I've lost navigation by #region in my script.

16. Dantus

Dantus

Xamarin Studio is free. Its commercial extensions (iOS, Android, ...) cost money.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2013
  17. metalchouchen

metalchouchen

Are your sure ?

https://store.xamarin.com/ It's look the free version has limitation :

18. Dantus

Dantus

That's about the commercial extensions for their iOS/Android/... platforms. Xamarin Studio itself is the new MonoDevelop which can also be downloaded here: http://monodevelop.com/Download

19. Shubius

Shubius

Xamarin is not free unfortunately. If you are working alone or with only a few people then indeed it is free with severe limitations. Once you pass these limitations (which almost every Unity project will surely pass the size limitation) then it becomes insanely expensive. Check out this link for details and be sure to hover your mouse over the options on the left for more details. To be clear, this is NOT only regarding the mobile development stuff, as can be seen on the page this is Xamarin Studio itself.
    https://store.xamarin.com/

I post this hoping no one does what I did and simply downloads it thinking it is the new version of monodevelop and moves on making their games with it. There is no agreement when you download the new version, however I'm sure you will still be on the losing end of a legal battle should you ignore the terms of usage on their website.

20. Jaimi

Jaimi

Xamarin studio (without the mac/android/ios addons) is released under the GNU lesser general public license. Look in the about box, or the "COPYING" file in the src.

21. Dantus

Dantus

Exactly! Meaning it is freely available.

22. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Huh, nice :) Script Inspector 2 had a similar issue for all "AltGr" characters, but it got solved within few minutes :cool:

23. Paulo-Henrique025

Paulo-Henrique025

This is AWESOME! Unity MonoDevelop is super slow, i takes time to open, to close, to rebuild solution, unhandled exceptions are not exceptions at all, they make part of your day :(

Downloaded this xamarin stuff to build some google api dlls and them was surprised on how well it worked with unity, the other mono versions didn't worked with unity that well, as I remember even auto completion was lame, and if you can live without autocompletion you should be coding in Sublime Text 2.

24. _Max_

_Max_

Bringing this back to life...

25. Mr-Logan

Mr-Logan

Hi

I've just set it up on my windows machine, and I've run into two problems.
    Firstly when I have Xamarin studio open and I in unity double click another script it opens a new copy of XS. Secondly it opens a new copy of a script even if it's already open.
    This is really annoying, has anyone found a solution for either?

Regards,
    -Logan

26. Deepestblue

Deepestblue

Well, I just installed it under D:/<something> and when it asked me if it should autoupdate itself, it installed itself under C:/<something> instead. Doesn't sound too stable, final or trustworthy to me.

Also, it opens up one instance of the program for every script you open. I guess I'll wait until it's integrated. :)

Last edited: May 10, 2013
  27. burtonposey

burtonposey

28. pjezek

pjezek

looks like #region folding can be enabled with preference settings: Text Editor -> Code Folding

29. StefanoCecere

StefanoCecere

as showed yesterday MonoDevelop 4 will come integrated with Unity 4.3 !

30. pretender

pretender

Hi guys,

I was wondering is it possible to have a solution in monodevelop/xamarin which will consist of several projects - few unity projects that share some libraries or use dll that is generated from one of the projects in the same solution?

does this makes sense?

thanks!

31. Dantus

Dantus

This doesn't work. You need everything within the Unity project. That means, if you are working with dlls, you have to copy them into your Unity project, or at least, I haven't found another solution for that.