Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Psichodelya new Shmup game

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Gru, Feb 16, 2013.

1. Gru

Gru

$PsychodelyaLogoFull.png

Hey friends,

[table="width: 100%, align: center"]
    [tr]
    [td] $Logo_128x128.png [/td]
    [td]Ennoble Studios is a perspective indie game making team dedicated to bringing you fun, high-octane gameplay games in image of old school games developed with latest technology. Ennoble Studios is a firm believer in PC platform, but also in values of gameplay and game design that brought us here as gamers. Ennoble is also a believer in real artistry of gaming as a medium. Through vision in quality of work instead of bare sufficiency, through depth, insight and worth of your time Ennoble will in the future bring you games to best of our technical abilities.
    [/td]
    [/tr]
    [/table]

www.ennoble-studios.com

We're starting a new small project which would be a fast, old-school style top-down shmup in the likes of Aero Fighters, Giga Wing, Espgaluda, R-Type Delta, Raiden, more recent Jamestown and mostly DoDonPachi.

The goal is to create a game which will be really fun to play, challenging, but at the same time in a modern package that is sure to impress with art style. Games like this aren't seen often these days, and this game is going to be no-nonsense, no-gimmicks, full-blown visual audio art coupled with fast-paced gameplay.

Target platforms would be Windows, Mac Linux.

I posted this thread a hile ago:
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/163590-Looking-for-help-on-a-new-shoot-em-up-project

The project is coming up nicely. For now I posted a simple video on youtube of the games integrated tutorial. Take a look, but please choose HD, because on lower settings it looks terribly distorted:

Then there's this one:

And this one:

19.04.2013:

I want your opinions and ideas and what could be improved. Now for some info about the game itself and the project:
    • The base coding is mostly done. That means:
    • Game mechanics for 1 or 2 players
    • Controls for two independent players on KB or Gamepad.
    • Main menu functions. Options screen, ship choosing, scoreboard etc.
    • HUD design and logic.
    • Player and enemy states and logic.
    • Saving data to disk and of options.
    • Etc.

Also the site is completed, designed and coded 100% by me. It will be up in a few days. I'll post a link soon in this thread.

Here are a few screens on other Player ships:

$Ships.png

And here is how it looks in action:

$ShootVSStream.png

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________

Link to one level, if anyone wants to try it out:
    https://www.cubby.com/pl/Level5_full.zip/_629bc4e43ffa4d92ae83c6368d1093ae

LMB to fire
    RMB bomb
    Space witch
    exit Alt+F4
    Gamepad is recommended.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________

The development has taken a new breakthrough. Here is the the concept art image made by our artist David Kopnicky.

$ship1-concept-finished-smaller.png

** Still looking for one additional good 3D artist. One artist spot is taken. Info on PM. **

Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
  2. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

Hmm. I think it's neat that the player is basically flying quite fast vertically... but the full-screen moving background, I just cannot sit and watch that for very long. It's disorienting to the eye, the frame of reference keeps shifting so fast there's nothing to fix my eye onto enough to hold a steady focus. If the background we just the background and much less in your face it might be doable.

3. Gru

Gru

Hi imaginaryhuman, thanks for the input. I see the point about the bg, will modify it a bit. The playable part will have the static HUD on the right.

4. GeneBox

GeneBox

This looks fun! I';; try it out as soon as the web-player is up.

5. Gru

Gru

Last edited: Feb 24, 2013
  6. Qunit

Qunit

allwayz liked these aero shooters !!
    i got to say - thumb up for the music!!!!

7. Gru

Gru

Anyone tried it?

Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
  8. Gru

Gru

9. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

Hmm. Funny you went to the other extreme with a static background... some slow scrolling is okay.

One issue though, is usability. How easy and intuitive is it to USE this thing... well let's see... you have a brown background with small pinkish enemy shots. This does not work. There isn't enough contrast to see where the shots are. The blue ones are better. Then when you're firing the light blue (?) shots you fire are also not enough contrast, such as you can't see where they are ending up or how much you need to adjust your aim.

10. Gru

Gru

Thanks for the input.

I have this background as placeholder. It would require me to make a very long texture and slide it, so I just put static background for now. I am leaving this as artist part. When I lower the contrast on the texture, a lot of details on the bullets and ship come up. I haven't adjusted it at all for now, not only because it's a placeholder, but also because in the video a lot of details and colors got eaten out. It is much more contrasted in play. Light red bullets have "round" quality which is inperceptible in the vid, especially in lower quality.

11. Gru

Gru

Another update:

12. ShortcakeTheDeveloper

ShortcakeTheDeveloper

Please, consider calling your game a "shooter". It will make it look a lot less like "look at my shmup #swag #yolo" :D Other than that, awesome work! Looks great!

13. Gru

Gru

Last edited: Apr 11, 2013
  14. Gru

Gru

Updated the thread. Added the logo, modernized the design.

From now on, updates go above.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2013
  15. Gru

Gru

Added the new vid.

16. Gru

Gru

17. Gru

Gru

Some new art for the game.

*We're looking for another artist! Please PM me for more info.*

$test elements 1.png

$test elements 4.png

$testrender-80degrees-1.png

Edit: Inline Images Don't seem to show?!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 26, 2013
  18. Gru

Gru

Total cores are calculated on level end. This is how the score is summed up at that point:
    o Bonuses are awarded for: remaining lives, killed percentage on stage (same for both players), max chain number, remaining bombs, remaining shields and by adding that on total score.
    o This is how these are calculated in pseudo-code:
    o BonusLives = lives * 30 * BaselineScore;
    o BonusKilledPctg = killedPctg * 100 * BaselineScore;
    o BonusChain = recordChain * 10 * BaselineScore;
    o BonusBombs = bombs * 5 * BaselineScore;
    o BonusShields = (shieldsRed + shieldsBlue) * BaselineScore;
    o TotalScore = Score + BonusLives + BonusKilledPctg + BonusChain + BonusBombs + BonusShields;
    Here’s how scores are added in level:
    o Each extra shield over 5: 5 * BaselineScore;
    o Each extra powerup over 5: 20 * BaselineScore;
    o Extra lives over 5: 30 * BaselineScore;
    o Extra bombs over 8: 10 * BaselineScore;
    o Most importantly, scores for enemies are calculated when killed, proportionally to their projected lifetime. That means, if killed exactly at the projected lifetime, player gets Score x 1. If killed before, up to 2 x Score. If killed after, exactly 1x Score. Observe the following graph:

$ScoringGraph.1.png

o Same score is awarded if killed by bomb or by fire or by stream.
    o Base score varies from enemy to enemy
    o Projected Lifetime can vary also
    Player also gets one BaselineScore at play for each chain over 5 per kill.
    Level Ending score is in millions, ensuring that no two players score the same.

I'd also like to announce our super-important online leaderboards, that are already integrated in-game. Here's how it goes:
    - Custom system for online profiles.
    - The game has unlimited number of profiles
    - Each profile remembers best score per stage pass
    - Sum of best scores is displayed at local leaderboards (ranking for best local profiles)
    - Player can choose to publish these profiles online, for public viewing, but also from the game.
    - Player can filter online profiles to show local machine profiles only (and their corresponding global place without all the other profiles)
    - Instant rank updates.
    - System has been test to so far with

19. Gru

Gru

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

After many fluctuations of the above position, we are still looking for a reliable and quality 3D artist.

The payment model is profit-share. The chosen artist will get a fixed percentage of profit awarded on the completion of our crowdfunding campaign, and on the project completion. The project state is very near complete. What's holding us back, is the lack of backgrounds.

We are primarily interested in a reliable person with at least some experience with working in a team. You will be given simple, clear instructions on how the creation process works, and a high degree of creative freedom regarding what exactly you will be making.

For more info on what you'd be needed to make, please look above.

There are 4 level backgrounds to be completed. You should be able to complete each one in a short amount of time, which should be about 3 weeks per map.

The new person is required As Soon As Possible. Please email me directly at pcbastion at gmail.com noting your previous experience.

For news about the game, refer to our site: http://www.ennoble-studios.com/news/news-update.html

Kind regads,
    - Gru

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Last edited: Jan 19, 2014