Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Arena of Champions

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by hellraizerhhh, Feb 10, 2013.

1. hellraizerhhh

hellraizerhhh

I want to tell you about my game Arena of Champions. Some may have seen it before many months ago, but I wanted to make a new thread with the up to date game and its improvements. Tell me what you think, harsh C&C welcome.

Arena of Champions is a mix of Final Fantasy, League of Legends, and Pokemon. Obtain characters, develop them to your play style, and do battle against other players with your uniquely tailored champions. You have FULL control of 4 champions of your choosing against another players team for dominance. Will you be the best in the world?

All along we knew we wanted a hand painted approach that was a stylized realism, bordering on a pastel painting. Taking cues from Borderlands and games such as Star Wars: The Old Republic, we updated our lighting and texturing technique to deliver the result below. Currently we are working hard to bring all our characters up to this new and improved texture style. Below is 3 of the 6 characters finished with the new art style. Also noticed we have completely revamped the grasshopper model to make him much more appealing and badass.

There is lots of strategy in Arena of Champions!

1. Characters chosen. You can only have 4 characters fighting for your honor at one time, so choose wisely! You can have multiples of the same champion as long as you own them. There are pros and cons to every class and every team composition, so make sure you have your *A Team* before you hit the arena. The choice is ALL up to you in deciding who you take with you into battle.

2. Character Order. The order in which you place your characters during champion selection is crucial to your success and team synergy. This order will be reflected on the battlefield and will determine the order in which your champions take turns decimating the competition.

3. Rotation Order. The game begins with one side randomly chosen to go first, either Blue or Red Team (enemy is always Red Team). Chosen team goes first, with the opponent going next, and so forth until a victor emerges. This order can be dynamically changed via certain abilities. For instance, the warrior Shield Slam which causes a knock-back effect. Knock-back moves an enemy player back one (1) spot in the rotation order. This move can be used tactically to position allies and enemies in an offensive manner, or a defensive manner. How you use this move and many more is all up to you. YOU control the flow of combat.

4. Character training. Your characters are yours to fully customize. Every level you gain stat points to allocate as you wish into stats like Health, Strength, Agility, and Intelligence. Want to play a Warrior with all points into health? An Archer or Rogue with a full critical strike build perhaps? The choice is all yours to make. YOU build the character you want to play.

Your character build will always be unique to any other player using the same character. These decisions all factor into the overall feel, performance, and the strength/weakness of your character and their respective abilities.

Character unlocks are a very important part of the success and longevity of Arena of Champions. Our goal is to give players an ever expanding universe of champions and archetypes to choose from. We want our players to experiment with new characters, new builds, and new team compositions to best their foes in battle. Players will need to constantly adapt and update their strategies and their team to deal with different enemy team compositions.

There are no items/gear that empower those who play more, or who purchase in game currency. We specifically want an environment where all that matters is a players skill and tactics in combat. Sorry guys, no "Pay to Win" :)

Many, many achievements and constantly adding more to the game. Got first blood? Multi Kill? get a flawless victory? Yea...there is an achievement for that and many more!

From active Volcanoes, to Crypts and Jungle Rainforests, your team will travel the Arenas of the world bringing death and destruction to your enemy. Seek glory and make your name known on our ladder system that highlights your accomplishments. Careful though, being the best will make you a target worth bringing down for your enemies.

Its important for players to feel a sense of advancement and progression for their character. Arena of Champions features character customization, team customization, and ability customization so each team you encounter or assemble is a unique experiences. We want this to be a competitive environment, saying this, we will be grouping players together according to their level and skill rating. Higher skilled players wont ever be placed with new players just joining the game.

I'm happy with the progress thus far and once we get the new art style going in game we will be that much further. Currently we are going to be working on incorporating our game with our unlimited CCU photon server. Hopefully launch a kickstarter this month and get a webplayer out as fast as possible. I want there to be sound effects and spell/ability effects in game before I kick out a webplayer for you guys :)

Whats done: Currently the entire battle system is done with all release characters (6) fully implemented and working. In game battle is fully functional with status effects bar, balanced abilities, animated characters etc. In game is 100%. We also have an unlimited concurrent player server ready to go.

What needs to be done: Sound effects, Special Effects for abilities/spells, website, miscellaneous game menus (store, character menu, training, profile etc) Most importantly, sync the game up with the server for online play.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2013
  2. Myhijim

Myhijim

Man, your pitch is good ;)

Set out very well and the art style is fantastic!

This looks like one of those really well done kick starter campaigns.

Interesting gameplay concepts too!

3. hellraizerhhh

hellraizerhhh

Thanks for the kind words, hopefully once I get the gameplay recorded and the pitch recorded I actually achieve something in Kickstarter. I know it will be a lot of work, but im up for it :)

4. hellraizerhhh

hellraizerhhh

Some splash screens for the 6 characters in the build so far, plus an extra splash screen of the post release character the Ferret Assassin.

5. Zawazuki

Zawazuki

Wow, the game and those splash screens look spectacular!

6. hellraizerhhh

hellraizerhhh

Newest character being worked on. Warthog Shaman, specializing in nature based spells to entagle foes and empower allies.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2013
  7. jeko_composer

jeko_composer

very charismatic!

compliment!!

8. SuperSlonik

SuperSlonik

the concepts are beautiful! will be following this.

9. Polyhammer

Polyhammer

Beautiful work!

10. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

Your UI and graphics style look great, and the premise sounds good as well

The only things remaining to be seen is this game in motion. One thing I forsee, as has happened with all other online games, is that while you're offering players great levels of customization that only specific builds will become viable for a particular hero, based on that hero's kit. I hope your data system is set up to easily allow modification to your heroes and their skills, because I forsee you making a lot of minor tweaks over time, and possibly entirely replacing moves over the lifetime of this project.

11. fano_linux

fano_linux

nice draws...really like it

12. hellraizerhhh

hellraizerhhh

Luckily this is something I planned before the game was even begun. Knowing this, our programmers have made me a very easy script where I can change values for abilities as well as character attributes and scaling attributes on the fly so I can easily tweak and balance. As far as some builds becoming more viable, possibly, this happens in any game. The best we can do is offer the complete freedom of choice and let players experiment and find what works best for them. What works for others may not work for me due to how my entire team composition is tailored.

As far as the game in motion, I am delaying until the next build is done (sometime this month) so I can show a cleaner and much more professional character selection screen that is more user friendly as well as in game HP/MP values in the bars over players heads.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2013
  13. hellraizerhhh

hellraizerhhh

Small preview of the character abilities for each character. I couldnt fit all the ability info in there such as how long things last, their MP cost etc but it should help give a little insight into the different play styles of characters.

14. Rob-Mills-Audio

Rob-Mills-Audio

This looks awesome! The artwork is incredible also. Will be watching this space for sure!

15. Rush-Rage-Games

Rush-Rage-Games

Love the paintings, good job!

16. hellraizerhhh

hellraizerhhh

Below are the renders of the first four characters done in the new texture style. We tried to match our concept art as much as possible when painting the textures to give the whole project a hand painted inked look. Tell us what you think, any C&C welcome.

17. videogamemaker

videogamemaker

Really nice character models, would love to know the triangle count, possibly see the wireframe, and the texture flats. :) The indian-crow is definitely my favorite.

18. hellraizerhhh

hellraizerhhh

Here you go ben. Im sure we can optimize a little, but being that its for PC I think its just fine, even for mobile. As for the texture flats, you can PM me

19. tigerija

tigerija

Its low poly enough. Even for mobiles.

Art looks great. Now we have to see some gameplay. Art style will add to it a lot.

Fine work here.

20. hellraizerhhh

hellraizerhhh

New character finished! Ill be getting gameplay video up this week! :) Got a build in today and had a few bugs I dont want to show off :p

21. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

Tell me his name is Glenn. Tell me his name is Glenn.

22. SuperSlonik

SuperSlonik

keep them coming. awesome job!

23. hellraizerhhh

hellraizerhhh

Is Glenn a reference to something? I cant put my finger on it :) The only names locked in right now are the Fox, Raven, Gorilla and Grasshopper; rest are up for naming.

24. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

Play through Chrono Trigger and you'll find out. He's the one with awesome music.

25. Poelie

Poelie

Really nice pictures, and nice models!

I would love to see some gameplay and play the game when it comes out!

Or and early version of it!

Keep up the good work.

26. hellraizerhhh

hellraizerhhh

All 6 characters finally finished for the release build. Added a toon outline to bring a little more depth to the characters. What do you think? I personally am quite happy with the results and think its a finalized look.

And here they are all individually.

27. Ippokratis

Ippokratis

I like them :)

28. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

Looks good. The best of League of Legends, with the best of the Star Wars: The Old Republic look!

Your artist deserves a cookie.

29. Cure

Cure

I've actually been prototyping a game very similar to this same idea for a while, I must say though this has come out amazing! Great job and I hope the game sees some form of success.

30. Gatto_matto

Gatto_matto

Hey, amazing work! Excellent pictures and first class design. You rock, man!

31. hellraizerhhh

hellraizerhhh

Havent posted in a while, but wanted to share an alpha gameplay video. Game is still being worked on, nearing the point that I will launch a Kickstart campaign in October. Watch the video, and let me know what you think. Thanks! :)

32. hellraizerhhh

hellraizerhhh

Damn, this instantly fell to page 3 in a day :)

33. Archania

Archania

Looks very sharp. Nice models and clean game play. Keep it up.

34. KyleOlsen

KyleOlsen

Very polished look with some possibilities for deep gameplay tactics, nice work!

Edit: Maybe move your new video to your first post?

35. BlizzKrut

BlizzKrut

So what happened to the project? Looked like a very nice one!

AndrewGrayGames likes this.