Search Unity

Some Hack and slash game

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by Gikerowski, Feb 9, 2013.

1. Gikerowski

Gikerowski

Hi . I want to show You my prototype of some 'Hack and slash' game which I made in last few weeks. Main character is a replica of character from Infinity Blade.
    The idea was to create a game that looks little bit
    like 'Diablo 3' ... and ... this is the result:

2. meta87

meta87

Wow great work! Graphics are really impressive.

3. Swearsoft

Swearsoft

You are pumping out some nice demos. What are you going to do with them?

4. piluve

piluve

Just OO

5. Gikerowski

Gikerowski

thanks
    koyima - really nothing ... I'm not a player, I do not like games (I know how that sounds), but I love to create. Probably I'm done working on this prototype in next week and find a new challenge (maybe a little strategy game..).
    I work in a small game studio, but there we are working on other types of games (mini games and social networking focused on monetization - also in unity), so after work I'm doing what I really like :)

6. Myaka

Myaka

You're saying you did modelling, texturing, animation, level design, menus and all programming from zero in like 2-3 weeks? Hats off man! I mean it doesn't look very original but wait ... am I sound jealous? Well yes, because I am! For my last project it took like 2-3 days to only design/model characters, 2 more days to animate those bastards, 2 more weeks to do the rest of design/artwork and God knows how many days to do the programming part. And with all that said my characters are way simpler, probably even primitive (if you like you can check gameplay and overall looks here: http://space-jump.com/Franky.html ) I thought I work fast but I was so wrong ... I'm really impressed because it does look great even for finished game, not just quick prototype. Great work and very inspiring!

7. Swearsoft

Swearsoft

@Myaka
    He has used a few asset store packs, he didn't say he did this from scratch, but he has achieved a high level of completion on all his demos, which even with assets from the asset store I rarely see on this forum.

Of course it will take you time to design characters, animation etc, but Gikerowski is working in a much more production focused manner, re-using , re-skinning and re-purposing stuff in order to assemble a complete prototype. Focusing more on getting the thing into shape by making smart decisions, instead of creating everything as a new custom asset.

The only problem with this is that this makes them look a bit generic, but the upside is that you can show someone a hack and slash game in a couple of weeks. Of course this could lead to some sort: take some time to make this a finished product or to draw up a budget and then more custom elements can be used.

@Gikerowski:
    I guess you can confirm or deny the above if you like (my assumption is that before you start you have spotted a few packs you like and want to combine, mentally or otherwise work out what else you need and then just dive in)
    I really like the tentacles.

8. squared55

squared55

Wow. You're really making some great stuff!

9. Venged

Venged

Looks very nice!

10. Gikerowski

Gikerowski

koyima - You're right. I am the developer of games. My goal is not just to create models (I know what a hard and long work that is), or planning design, balancing the game, and the creation of sound ... or just programming. Sometimes the hardest thing to do is connect all that 'garbages' - to do something nice. I have some experience with or of 3dsmax zbrush ... also with Fl studio and Reason but I know that will take for me too much time to prepare, for example, models for animation, audio samples ... In my opinion, game programmer must have knowledge about modeling (which does not mean that it is a 3d graphic designer) and 3D graphics needs to know some things from the developers work.. Oh how many times I downloaded model (beautiful) ... but after 30 minutes of working with animation or texturing just threw it because I not suitable to use in game- then I thought I could create a better .. but in 5 days work .... it's sad; ]
    In the first of my projects I created about 60-70% of geometry, 100% code, 60% of the animation ...
    Now I see that the game is also sound, ui, design level. Fx ( I'm still learning :D )
    So with this demo created about 20% of the geometry, 70% fx, 10% animation , 90% UI, 40% sounds , and still 100% code .... and that's the only reason I'm still a programmer (still 100%) :)

11. Myaka

Myaka

Makes sense! Thanks for this breakdown, very insightful. I assumed you do this from zero because I do things that way, my bad!
    I do a lot of re-use in my motion work all the time, to say more this re-use is something that helps to shape your style over the years. People even expect you to use some of the stuff that looks somewhat like your previous stuff, no shame in that.
    But with games it is different:
    For my previous game I tried this asset (standard one, don't remember the name) to control character and after 30 mins of playing with it it was looking like it is faster to write your own control system rather using that one. Same goes for this new game. I could hardly re-use my previous code (only small portions of it) since most of it was very different from previous game. Same goes with character/level design. I can't really imagine where I could get characters for my game since all characters are very unique not only by looks but also by actions they do.
    On the other hand there is definitely a way to re-use code from my first game and characters from second game to create third game and this is probably the way it should be.
    Once again, thanks for the insight and once again grats on great job!

12. Swearsoft

Swearsoft

@Gikerowski: can you make a thread with all your prototype demos?

13. Kinos141

Kinos141

Great job, I really need to get my output going, I have a game I've been making for months, and it still seems very alpha. I'll put up a video soon so I can show it off.

I need to start that as well.

14. Ben Jammin Games

Ben Jammin Games

This is impressive!
    I mean its another thing to actually play it and i cant say for myself, but it "looks" like the game feels really nice to play.

good job!

what platform did yotu do it for?
    i assume PC (or mac) since you're just prototyping in spare time, but do you ever go after iphone or android small projects?

15. Gikerowski

Gikerowski

Yes ,PC.
    in my spare time I don't want to create prototypes for android / ios (I do it at work,so only at home I can find the time for faster devices) :)

16. EduardasFunka

EduardasFunka

very very impressive!
    please put your demo on asset store you have a client waiting in row.

17. Gikerowski

Gikerowski

ahhh Unfortunately I can't. I have a very strict contract with the company in which I am working. Youtube is a 'safe' way for me to show what I do in my spare time. it's complicated :/

18. Ben Jammin Games

Ben Jammin Games

as far as the look and feel of teh graphics in this, did you use built in image effects/ shaders or roll with your own?

19. imphenzia

imphenzia

Looks really nice and I just read that you are doing this as fun spare time hobby projects =) Many will be disappointed that it won't turn into a game I think, but it acts as nice promotion of your skills and what Unity can achieve.

(Now I really can't wait to get that pro-license when I see the real time shadows, hah)

20. Ulven2

Ulven2

o_O
    Very impressive work.

21. SimonAlkemade

SimonAlkemade

Really high level in polish for such a short period of time. I take my hat off and salute you sir!

22. Gikerowski

Gikerowski

Thank you very much! A short period of time for some, it is one week (5 days x 8 hours - 5 days * a 30 minute break = 27.5 hours) Yes it is a short period of time, but for me one week is 7 days * about 15h .. During a break I test my work;) So ... I have a a bit more time;)

23. Incisions

Incisions

Such Talent, i finally decided to sign up here haha.

24. GeneBox

GeneBox

This is just... My jaw dropped, literally.

25. jebo87

jebo87

that's AAA quality man! amazing...don't leave it as a prototype, keep working on it

26. NutellaDaddy

NutellaDaddy

The music doesn't really seem to go with the moments that happen. Maybe different music should play while you are battling monsters?