Search Unity

[RELEASED] Dextero RPG Framework ( Complete Project )

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Dextero, Feb 7, 2013.

1. Dextero

Dextero

Asset Store Link

Webplayer Demo Link

Features:

[NEW!:]
    Skill System - An AOE, Projectile and Melee skill system has been introduced! Comes with SkillBook UI and SkillBar
    Character Creation System - A new scenes allows players to create their character, two classes included!
    Main Menu - There is now a main menu where you can start a new game or load an existing one.
    Multiple Scenes - There are now two levels included.
    Additional Addons - There are now new addons such as EnableGameObject to make more dynamic quests and a Teleporter script to switch level or location correctly.

Character Control System - A smooth control system with a finite-state machine to allow for running, idle and walking animations. This is mainly for demo purposes, you are free to swap this out for your own.
    Monster Control System - Monsters will now play attack animations.
    Additional features - Dropping items to the ground, Auto-window focusing.
    Item System - Items, Weapons, Armours, Consumables, Sockets (Weapons and Armours have different rarities (common to legendary) and other stats such as +Str, +Dex, chance to knockback , +Health etc)

Character Stat Tracking - Character information such as levels, vitals, attributes, critical hit chance, critical hit damage, chance to block is tracked and calculated correctly. Vitals also scale from attributes.
    Inventory System - Can move items around the inventory by picking one up and switching it with another. Items can stack and you have the option to split stacks. Can also use consumables from the inventory and use it to place sockets into equipment.
    Item Generator - Creates an almost endless list of possible items that can be spawned. Randomness is placed on a huge scope of variables including: Attack damage, attack speed, elemental damage, procs, attributes added, vitals added, crit chance, movement speed and more

NPC System - Quest NPCs, Vendor NPCs and Crafter NPCs
    Harvesting System - Can harvest from trees, cloth piles and mineral veins to acquire crafting materials.
    Crafting System - Can craft items from the crafting materials found by speaking to a crafting NPC.
    Quest System - Quest system with an onscreen quest tracker. Quests to kill mobs, loot items and speak to other NPCs are available. NPCs will reply back to you with unique dialog if you have the correct quest up.
    Achievements System - Earn achievements for completing tasks - such as progressing up to level 5, completing 5 quests, killing a boss mob and earning a certain amount of gold.

Also Included: Basic point to click, camera and Monster AI.

The entire system is very customisable as it is written entirely in C#.

Asset Store Link

Webplayer Demo Link

Fixes:
    - Webplayer now works on all browsers!
    - Framework can now run on mobile devices (Requires GUI and Model tweaks)

If you enjoy this product , please leave a review! Constructive feedback is always greatly appreciated!
    Dextero

(Contact me at: info@logicspawn.co.uk) ​

Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
  2. Tortyfoo

Tortyfoo

Any chance this asset works in Unity 3.5? Not upgraded as want to keep my Android/iOS option.

3. Venged

Venged

Nice looking kit!

4. Dextero

Dextero

Not too sure. I don't see why not though as there isn't any unity 4 specific code apart from maybe the new GameObject.active implementation. If you decide to purchase the package and encounter problems, let me know and I'll do my best to sort it out!

5. daisySa

daisySa

The demo isn't loading on my computers (iMac and Macbook Pro, both using Safari).

6. Dextero

Dextero

Yeah I'm hearing this as a common problem. I'll be working on a video alternative very soon and attempting to fix the web demo also.

7. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

Great Framework. I have a few hickups.

1. Camera movement sometimes jiggers when the player is close to a person. Its wobbling permanently

2. Quest System seems to be bugged. I took quests, completed them but Quest Guy says the still in progress and I cant finish the quest.

8. Dextero

Dextero

Glad you're liking the framework!

The camera system was put for demonstration purposes, not as part of the included systems. In fact, in my current game I'm working on the camera, as I also get this problem with the camera wobbling a bit. The best way to solve this is to implement a way that prevents the character from getting too close to other characters - I've done this currently by changing my movement script so that if you click an NPC/Mob, it only moves as close as it needs to (i.e. not on top of the object.

The quest systems seems to be working fine for me, which quest in particular is it? Remember that some quests have multiple conditions and you need to complete all of them for it to be completed ( shown on the quest tracker on the right )

EDIT: I was just working on my game and perhaps encountered your problem. Basically you can't complete a quest if you don't have enough inventory space to take the quest reward items. So vendor a few items and you should be able to complete it. :)

Last edited: Feb 8, 2013
  9. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

Yes, my iventory was full :) Could you implement such kind of message that player have to empty inventory otherwise quest cant be finished?

10. Dextero

Dextero

There's a CompleteQuest function in the NPCDialog.cs script which checks whether the inventory is full or not. You can simply add these 4 lines of code instead of the Debug.Log to spawn some floating text which says inventory is full.

Code (csharp):
    2.             GlobalPrefabs globalPrefabs = GameObject.FindGameObjectWithTag("GameMaster").GetComponent<GlobalPrefabs>();
    3.             GameObject dmgTxt = (GameObject)Instantiate(globalPrefabs.floatingText);
    4.             FloatingTextGUI dmgText = dmgTxt.GetComponent<FloatingTextGUI>();
    5.             dmgText.SetInfo("Inventory is full!",player.transform.position);
    The floating text prefab text size etc can be changed either through Rich text or modifying the prefab itself.

Rich text is done nicely for you with ToolTipStyles e.g.

Code (csharp):
    2. string inventoryFull = ToolTipStyles.Red + "Inventory is full!" +  ToolTipStyles.EndColor;

11. Dextero

Dextero

Possibly fixed the webplayer!

12. Dextero

Dextero

If their are any concerns/additional requests for this framework, please let me know!

13. sleglik

sleglik

If I can suggest avoid using FindGameObjectWithTag. It is better to load these variables in Start void.

14. Dextero

Dextero

This is normally done across almost all scripts. In this case however the Quest script doesn't ever use the GlobalPrefabs script, so it is not placed in start. The code is longer than it should be simply because it is an additional implementation you could do. I myself would also recommend loading the reference in the start table to optimise the code.

15. Dextero

Dextero

UPDATE:

I've added downloadable versions of the demo in case the web player is not working. Still don't know the cause of this as it compiles and runs fine at my end, guessing it's to do with the web player plugin version or something else.

If anyone manages to figure it out, please let me know.

Once again, all constructive feedback is appreciated! :)

16. Tiny-Tree

Tiny-Tree

no documentation ? i wish i could see how is your framework and how i can change things like combat system before buying

17. Dextero

Dextero

Documentation is currently a work in progress,but will most likely be added to the package rather than be publicly available as it's quite hard to document the scripts without revealing the scripts themselves. Unfortunately this is not, seldom one or two scripts, an editor-assisted RPG Framework. You will use/modify the scripts to create your game. This, in my opinion, may be harder to begin with, but allows you to customise the game as much as you want!

18. Yippie

Yippie

Nice, it'd be more impressive if you used actual character models instead of geometric objects though :)

19. GregMeach

GregMeach

Can anyone else run the Mac version? I've tried several different options and just get the Unity splash screen, black screen to spinning beach ball and then goes away.

Mid 2011 iMac 3.1Ghz i5, w/24GB RAM

20. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

Thought iMac 2011 3.1 i5 could only use max 16 GB? I have 3.4 i7 and can only use 16 GB RAM

21. GregMeach

GregMeach

22. Infernomaster

Infernomaster

Is there any way to drop items from the inventory? Or is this not possible till now?

23. Dextero

Dextero

Sorry, I forgot to mention this in the help text. If you click an item to pick it up and then drag it to the bottom left of the inventory window, you can delete the item from your inventory. Dropping items to the ground hasn't been implemented yet.

24. Dextero

Dextero

May have fixed the webplayer demo, could the people having problems let me know if it's working?

25. Distant_Temples

Distant_Temples

Web demo is still not working for me. I did down load the Mac build you made. Please don't take my comments as demeaning of your work or talents because you look like you have some good stuff happening.

$85.00 is a large price tag for me and I can not see where this package is worth it at this point. It has a lot of features that will help me further my game but it is also missing a lot. You are off to a great start.

No documents. Not good. I know your working on them.

The demo build feels very clunky. Needs a decent configured player controller.

Even at $75.00 I still feel this is far to incomplete to fill that price range yet.

Keep plugging away. I think you'll end up with something really good.

26. nixter

nixter

I'd like to chime in and say that I somewhat agree with Distant Temples about the value of the product.

The software you proposed in the pricing thread is valuable to many of us, but the price we quoted was before we saw the demo. You can see that after you posted the demo, there were no more price suggestions. I think that's because many of us we let down from our lofty expectations.
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/168732-Price-Check-RPG-Framework

Your demo looks nothing like the picture you posted. That doesn't bother me since the code is what matters not the art, but you have to factor that into peoples perceived value. If you're having poor sales, that may be one of the reasons.

What does bother me is the lack of polish in your system. Two weeks ago, I pointed out several things you could do to improve the demo. You responded by saying that some of the features were easy to add. "I will be glad to help you with implementing these features". Are you volunteering to do this or are you proposing I hire you? If the former, then please do! You don't need to help me specifically, just get it working in your demo! By doing that, you will get more sales and increase the perceived value of your product. If the later, then I am disappointed and don't feel the asset is priced correctly, cause that is basic stuff.

As customers, we want to buy frameworks that are being continually updated and refined. You claim you will support this product in the future, but I don't see evidence of that. That's why I haven't bought it yet. Show us you're serious about support and I'll have more confidence.

27. Dextero

Dextero

Sorry about the web player demo not working for some of you, I'm honestly very confused about why exactly it isn't working. It works fine on my pc as I've said, haven't used any special shaders etc, so I'm a bit confused as to what to do to go about solving it.

In terms of the other thread, I did mention that the screenshot is of my game which is a WIP based on the framework I'm offering. If you look closely and compare my screenshot and the demo, you can see a few similarities. As you said yourself, the demo is about the scripts, not the art-work. Unfortunately the control system is indeed quite clunky. This is because it's not part of the offered systems ( the control system I used was a purchased script which I cannot include in my package) more just a way to show what is in the package.

In terms of updates, this is being worked on now. I am currently working on an improved character controller with animations to go with the demo (which will be included in the package also) as well as some bug fixes, additional content and documentation. If you would like to wait until these are implemented before making a choice on whether or not you would like to purchase, please feel free!

Just to confirm, all the details I mentioned that would be in this package are in fact in the package, if you notice anything missing from the demo, please let me know so I can improve the new demo I am currently working on. It's my first submission to the asset store, so sorry if there are any problems.

I've removed the screenshot for now to prevent anymore confusion.

Dexter

28. nixter

nixter

Thanks for the quick reply!

I think removing the picture is a good idea. People should judge your work on the demo, not your private game.

I'm glad to hear you're working on improvements. I look forward to seeing them.

This is a great package with a ton of features but it does need some work. If you're willing to put that work in, I'm sure it will be one of the best assets in the store.

BTW: One major problem with the demo I neglected to mention before is the issue of GUI focus. Since Equipment Comparison isn't functioning yet, players are forced to look at an item in inventory, then drag the mouse over and look at an equipped item for comparison. The problem is, the focus remains on the Inventory Panel. The user needs to click on the Equipment Panel to even get the item stats. This should be a simple fix, but very necessary.

29. Dextero

Dextero

I originally put the picture there just to show what kind of game could be created with the framework. By adding your own character control system and some GUI elements, you already have most of what makes a typical RPG. But yes, it is better to judge the framework simply off my demo.

The GUI focus problem has been quite tricky for me to solve due to the way Unity's GUI system works. I have figured out a workaround, which I'll add to the TODO list for the upcoming update.

30. nixter

nixter

So many people use NGUI, you'd probably be better off using that for your GUI system. I don't know if it would solve that particular problem but it's worth investigating.

31. Dextero

Dextero

Updated web demo again, hopefully fixed it. Also changed the control scheme to a less clunky one for now, will improve this in the update as per my previous post. Hope it works better for you!

Dexter

32. Dextero

Dextero

Great idea, and I wish I had of used it from the start - I'm no longer a big fan of Unity's current GUI. Too late to update the entire system now though. In the future , when I have more free time, I may work on something that uses it though.

33. Distant_Temples

Distant_Temples

Web demo still not loading. Maybe this is something that you have tried but I thought I would make note of it any way. I noticed that the help window that loads when you start the mac build is fairly large. I have to wonder if making the web build with none of the GUI open may let the demo load. Just a thought.

I also like the idea of the NGUI. That would get a big +1 from me. I also think your on the right track by wrapping up what you got now. I really believe you have a good thing here.

I think the screen shot in question is fine. Matter of fact I think it is was useful to show that it exist in a working project. But maybe would have been better used as a side note. ( Hindsight is a beautiful thing isn't it? :/ ) I guess my point here is that I see your intensions clearly and I believe in them. In fact I am impressed with what you have now.

I purchased a package similar to this before. Developer said he would offer a lot. Plunked down my cash. Developer bailed on the project due to health reason. Then I found out he is working on another project. Regardless I still believe in your intensions. Also you have far more product then intensions.

Still I had to be critical in some way just to keep it real in my previous post. I'm sure you will be happy when you see my standard of praise will be reflective of the level of quality when you wrap up this package. Which I'm sure will be very high.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
  34. StalledSanity

StalledSanity

Personally, I see documentation as the next necessity in the package. I'm sure that would help most people tremendously. A lot of people, myself included, buy code from the asset store because coding isn't really our thing. I did buy this. I have done some programming, so I'm not a complete noob, but I'm the art guy.

The camera is included, but not a feature. Why then, when I delete your camera from the scene and replace it with my own, do the other scripts in the scene start throwing null reference exceptions on play? Like I said, I'm not so much a coder, so I'm likely missing something small, but it seems to me that replacing the non-feature camera with another, everything in your framework should continue as normal.

35. GregMeach

GregMeach

Confirmed, still not working on Mac with either Safari or Firefox.

I'm sure it's frustrating for you since you can show it working on a PC. I have access to a PC so I'll try the download and web version and post back.

General Comments:
    I'm very new to Unity but not to development and I'm amazed at how many items in the store have either non-working links (as in 404 errors) or that use a dropbox link. To me nothing says "fly-by-night" like a 404-error (or a dropbox url). <- these are just my comments / feelings but since I'm a (paying) customer I hope that you want to hear from (us) me. :)

Again, I'll post back my results from the test on the PC

Update:
    Seems to work fine in Firefox on a PC. One note: I thought I right-clicked a health potion and it was removed from my inventory but didn't notice my health increase but it's probably me. I'll keep testing...

Additional feedback:
    Documentation AND well commented code is also important to me for the opposite reason as the poster above as I am a developer and am looking to jump start my c# knowledge.

I'll list two benchmark examples:
    1. Space Unity Link: http://www.spaceunity.com - isn't even available yet but I've already clicked the "buy" button
    2. Everything by Tasharen Link: http://www.tasharen.com

Final thoughts:

You might feel like I'm "ragging" on you but it's quite the opposite, your framework is one I'm strongly considering along with a couple others so please take my comments as they are truly meant, helpful and constructive. I'd like you to succeed, :)

36. Dextero

Dextero

Sorry about that. I overlooked that there's a reference to the camera script which was being used to make sure you can't harvest multiple objects at the same time. I've moved this now to the Player script to prevent this error happening again. This will be in the update that I've submitted to the asset store.

I've very perplexed about why the web player does not work on Mac and I am continually investigating what is causing it. I wish it was so simple as a 404 error, as that could be easily fixed ( I too am surprised by this, I would assume you would check back once in a while on your assets to assure that links are working etc). For now, I don't see anything wrong with using Dropbox to demonstrate my demo, but may look into another solution in the future.

Health potions and consumables seem to be working fine on my end.

Sufficient documentation and commenting (explaining all the core systems in enough detail to get you started ) is included in the update that I have submitted. Even more detailed documentation will be in the update after that. Based on feedback I will also document anything else you would like to know about.

37. Brotherhood

Brotherhood

I tend to agree with the others saying that the price is quite steep for what's being offered. Especially considering that the price is not that terribly far off from ORK's current price. Regardless, I'll keep an eye on it to see how it plays out in the long run.

Now, assuming that I end up buying it. I noticed that the save function works using PlayerPrefs, which is a major turn-off to me. Is the code set up in a way where one could easily opt to use an alternate save system, or would I be forced to re-write a large chunk of your code?

38. GregMeach

GregMeach

Thank-you for the reply, appreciate the info and look forward to your response to the PlayerPrefs question above this post. I'll give the demo another run through on my PC tomorrow. The Help screen was hard to read in that semitransparent box, at least for me.

39. Chase.G

Chase.G

I agree with this. I'm looking to buy either ORK or this, and honestly the best thing you can do for your chances at success are add NGUI support and (if it's not overly difficult) playmaker support.

I'm new to all of this, so I can't speak overwhelmingly to the easiness of either of these processes, but having built-in playmaker support would put you far over the top. NGUI as well, because the demo looked like Runescape circa 2002. I mean this constructively, of course, because this can potentially be a powerful system.

40. hike1

hike1

The standalone version has the jittering during conversations and also the click-to-move movement, while the web player doesn't jitter and
    has the WASD movement.

There doesn't seem to be any branching on conversations, I need a "Name, Job Bye" Ultima 6 type conversation tree, which expanded after
    you clicked on Name and Job. Otherwise there's no role playing, just combat and the inventory Excel spreadsheet. I don't think you could have
    a real conversation tree without a real saving system, maybe Mike Talbot's free serializer?

You have the basic stuff working well, though.

41. StalledSanity

StalledSanity

Any word on when the asset store people are going to get around to approving the update?

42. Dextero

Dextero

Should be sometime soon, I was planning to upload the new web-player for when the update is up, but I'll uploaded it within the next few minutes in case anyone wants to see the new changes.

43. StalledSanity

StalledSanity

Thanks for the reply. Although 'sometime soon' is rather vague, I suppose you know about as much as I what they're doing. Kinda like waiting on taxes ;)

But soon would still be good. This is a solid base to start from.

44. hike1

hike1

Is there going to be real saving? The player position isn't saved. Also on loading a save the player is jumping up and down.

45. Dextero

Dextero

There is already real saving. Attributes (both current and maximum values) are saved. Items are saved. Quest progress is saved. Achievements is saved etc. If you want to implement player position saving it's just a matter of saving a few PlayerPrefs and reading them in to assign the player's position. At the moment the player will respawn at the position of the Respawn marker, which is an invisible gameObject in-game.

46. Dextero

Dextero

Would just like to let everyone know that there was a slight mishap with the timing of the asset update. It should be live within a few days.

47. Distant_Temples

Distant_Temples

Has anyone been able to run the web demo of this on a Mac yet? It's still not working for me.

48. GregMeach

GregMeach

I tried yesterday and it basically killed Safari, and did not load/work :(

49. Tethys

Tethys

What in Jupitors cock is taking so long for this to be updated? Been watching this since you released it on day 1 and want to buy it but cannot until it has the documentation.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2013
  50. Dextero

Dextero

To those wondering about the update to the framework, there have been some problems getting the framework approved. The new update is online now however the documentation has not been finalized. This will be in the next update (just the documentation) very soon, so if you are waiting for that please hold on just a little longer.

Once again, sorry for the issues. I am still very new to this and didn't anticipate many problems that arose along the way.

Thanks for your understanding and support,

Dextero