Search Unity

Advanced Minimap Tutorial

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by stridervan, Feb 7, 2013.

1. stridervan

stridervan

Last edited: Apr 6, 2013
    tequyla likes this.
  2. Archania

Archania

Looks really good. Great job!

3. FuzzyNori

FuzzyNori

Subscribed to this so i can watch at home ;)

unfortunately youtube is blocked at work :(

4. stridervan

stridervan

the tutorial is complete :)

5. paulknight10

paulknight10

Real nice tutorial. But can i ask one (probably very dumb) question?

If my terrain object is set 100m from zero in x direction, and -100m in z direction then how would i make the snapshot start from this position rather than always starting from 0 in x and 0 in z?

6. stridervan

stridervan

the start position is really an offset so it would be (100, -100)

7. TheBraxton

TheBraxton

Just wanted to say that this is NOT a good way to do minimaps as you're manually taking screenshots of the map itself. If you've got a large world, or a procedural generated one this will fail on its face.

Need a code oriented version where the code is dynamically creating the minimap from above.

8. Epictickle

Epictickle

That's wrong TheBraxton. It's way more cost effective to use a texture than to make it dynamically from code. Do you realize how many resources that would take? If a better-designed minimap is what you need, then you can take the snapshot (so that you know you've got the proportions right), and then you can easily paint over it in photoshop or something. I haven't exactly watched his video's through-and-through, but I've been studying minimap generation in Unity3d for a few days now, and I can tell you just by looking at the first one that this guy is making a better minimap than just "throw a camera looking straight down at your terrain, modify the clipping planes, and viola!". Which is what you're going to end up with if you try to do it any other way. I'm not saying your way can't be done, but good luck. Also, this way CAN be done with a large OR small world. It doesn't matter.

9. MithrilMan

MithrilMan

thanks for your work, just a question:
    you talked about alternative to asset bundles, I've just downloaded unity few days ago and i'm trying to understand things, etc...
    I've no problem at all with C# because it's my daily job using it, but i can't/don't want now to invest in unity pro

Is the "use directly prefabs in scene editor" your alternative to asset bundles?
    is there any way to create assets bundles in other way, or have a smart management of prefabs?
    what's the cons of using prefabs directly in scene editor? (considering i'd like the game to be published on main platforms)

thanks

10. OneManBandGames

OneManBandGames

Just wanted to stop by and say thank you for the tutorial! It helped me out a lot when I was frustrated after buying a non-working minimap from the asset store. Thanks to you I have now a working minimap in my game that I can fully control since I've followed & understood your tutorial.

I also combined the minimap with this free radar system from the asset store: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/33729

Now the minimap also displays enemies and other points of interest with little icons.