Search Unity

Asset store import to folder

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Krileon, Feb 7, 2013.

1. Krileon

Krileon

How do you import an asset from the store into a custom sub folder? So many assets are packaged in a non-standard way and scatter assets all over your project. It would be nice to be able to move these to their own sub-folder as to prevent this from happening on import. Anyone have any solutions?

Last edited: Feb 7, 2013
    dan_ginovker and kamran-bigdely like this.
  2. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

That's not possible, and depending on the asset it may be necessary that some scripts be inside certain folders (such as Standard Assets or Editor), so that would cause the asset to break if it was possible to install everything in a custom folder. It might be nice if there were some enforced standards of organization when submitting assets to the store, though.

--Eric

Deleted User and jwinn like this.
  3. Krileon

Krileon

Seams silly that we can't do this as it becomes a complete mess once you've imported a few assets that do not have standard formatting. I don't think folder placement is majorly important as tons of major assets are in their own sub-folder so surely it's possible and works fine.

I hope they start enacting some sort of format policy when submitting to the asset store as it's disheartening to spend $30+ on something you can't use as it scatters dozens upon dozens of assets all of your project.

sixinabox and kamran-bigdely like this.
  4. Krileon

Krileon

No one has any other suggestions? Where is the Unity team? Why do support posts seam to go unanswered by staff? Is there future plans to allow this?

5. scrawk

scrawk

Personally I would import from asset store into a new empty project, then rearrange how you want, export as asset package and import to your project.
    Bit of a pain but best way to keep your project tidy.

6. Alf203

Alf203

Yeah, the only trouble is when you need to upgrade to a newer version of the asset... It becomes easy to forget where the script/asset has to go. You then find yourself with two versions.

Having some kind of format policy for the asset store is a good idea in my opinion.

7. Krileon

Krileon

That's what I've been doing, but it's exhausting and I hate having to do it.

I agree.

It'd be nice if they'd just add a feature to the import screen to "import into folder" and you select or create a new folder. If you don't select a folder then it imports to root.

I noticed some assets do break though. Mainly those that use Gizmos, Plugins, and Editor folders. So far my solution has been to place my actual project in a sub-folder and just let assets go wild in the root.

When updating an asset I'll do an import, but don't import yet; just keep the window open. I then go through and delete all the assets shown in the import window. I then close it without importing and re-import and this time actually import everything. It usually just takes a couple of minutes, but it avoids duplicate or out of date files.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2013
  8. BrainSlugs83

BrainSlugs83

Hey, 7 years later, and this is still a huge pain in the ass... Way to go Unity Team!

9. Davidjsap

Davidjsap

Is there really still no solution to this?

MikeMnD and marcospgp like this.
  10. Muhammad-Adnan

Muhammad-Adnan

11. OleksandrMartysh

OleksandrMartysh

The author has updated the asset. It now works with the latest versions of Unity.
    I tried it with Unity 2019.4.17. It worked perfectly. Asset version was 1.0.5 from Dec 29, 2020