Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

RPG Kit

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by DevionGames, Feb 5, 2013.

1. DevionGames

DevionGames

The RPG Kit is a collection of multiple modular systems that allow you to boost your RPG style game development. The systems are designed to be extendable for programmers with a lot of customizations for designers.

Features:
    * Character System(Creation and Selection)
    * Advanced Item & Inventory System
    * Spells & Skills
    * Gathering Resources (Chop trees, mine ores, harvest herbs)
    * Shop System(Buy and sell items)
    * Crafting System(Craft items with ingredients)
    * Teleporting(Teleport to positions or switch scenes)
    * Randomized Loot
    * Saving & Loading
    * Utility AI
    * Stat System
    * Third Person Controller
    * Beautiful RPG UI
    * Quest System
    * Full Source Code

Documentation | Discord

This asset has been reworked and is still missing a few of the old features. Please contact me if you need the old version of the kit. If you are unsure to purchase the RPG Kit, you can try out Item & Inventory System, which is a big part of the kit, for free.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2021
    Cyress likes this.
  2. PROTOFACTOR_Inc

PROTOFACTOR_Inc

looking pretty cool! Add an array for the attack so we can have some variation or a possible combo chaining list of animation with the respective delay array and it would be pretty amazing.

Nice job as usual Zerano!

3. DevionGames

DevionGames

Thank you, great idea,i will add that now :D

Edit: Okay i added that option and updated the picture in first post. Thank you very much for such a great idea, it looks awesome now. You will see it in the next video.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2013
  4. RoyS

RoyS

The AI and fighting system looks really good.

How are the nodes added? I used a kit that had you manually adding every node for interiors, which can become quite tedious. What about small hallways of dungeons and sewer tunnels as I have several of those in my game.

What are the total features of this kit?

Last edited: Feb 5, 2013
  5. nixter

nixter

That's a nice looking demo! What features do you plan on developing for it in the future, Zerano?

6. Venged

Venged

This looks great! I'll buy it when it is ready!

7. DevionGames

DevionGames

@RoyS. Thank you! Well the terrain/your ground model is scaned via Raycast on Start. Well you can add more then one grid to your interior/dungeon so it fits the geometry and it will be scaned.

@nixter. Thanks! I do not know what i will implement in the future, depends of course of the user feedback. I have contacted RoyS already before and asked him, if he would like to test the kit, so i can get feedback, if everything is okay, i will continue adding a quest system. My concentration will be first on the ai...So quest system is a must, followed by shop system, ranged enemie attackes and such.

8. DevionGames

DevionGames

Thanks Vengend!

9. Nitzaproductions

Nitzaproductions

dude i see in videos that first the command with the damage deal runs first and then the animation add a timer that when animation finish then the damage will be dealt!

10. jonkuze

jonkuze

Wow! Pretty Awesome!! = ) will this have Multiplayer Support, or just Single Player?

11. jonkuze

jonkuze

Some Feedback... I know this is just a demo, but I will share everything anyway just in case you miss it...

1. Basic Attack Should not Take So Long to Reload/Refresh, maybe only 1-2 Seconds between Basic Attacking
    2. We should be able to Go Directly to the Target Enemy with a Double Click, and Additional Click to Begin Attacking him with Basic Attack
    3. We should be able to Click anywhere on the Map / Screen to Auto Move to that Location, Moving the Character with WASD is OK, but for RPG Style I think you are aiming for, it may be best to include Mouse Click and Move Controller
    4. Will there be Long Ranged Magic Spells? Current when Click what Looks like a Long Ranges Spell does nothing but a Forward Thrust, which should be a Long Ranges Magic Spell or Something
    5. Ofcoarse we may need to Program some things ourselves, as this is just a toolkit to get us started, but include some Basic Magic Spells, and maybe even Long Rang Attack with an Arrow for Archer Class, and Simple Projectile for Mage Class Maybe...

Just some ideas... either way... Awesome Work! = ) Look forward to the Updates.

*Note: Check your PM, sent you a message! ; )

Last edited: Feb 8, 2013
  12. DevionGames

DevionGames

@Nitzaproductions: Thanks for the tip, i will add this.
    Edit: Ok i have added this, i am getting better results if i apply damage on (animation length)/2. For both npc and player attacks.

@Kuroato: Thank you very much! I will add most of your ideas as optional values.
    1. This is customizable you can set this in the inspector, if you look at PlayerManager, you will see in the Talents a value "Usage Delay" that you can change. this is basicly how long the reload takes.
    2. and 3. I will add that as option.
    4. and 5. Yes there will be ranged spells, but they will be only magic talents. So a talent will be like a spell/ranged attack.

Multiplayer is not planed at this stage.

13. jonkuze

jonkuze

very cool! = )

14. DevionGames

DevionGames

Okay i have added the option for ClickToMove(right click) and auto attack(left click on enemy to select-->move-->auto attack). The player will use the first talent in the action bar for the auto attack, if there is no talent, he will follow the target without attack. The player also uses the pathfinding system. I do not realy like it, but it is there now as an option. You can try it here.

It is already long time ago i played diablo 2, hihi, need to install it and check the movement again. :D

15. jonkuze

jonkuze

Ok Tested a couple things....

1. I think you should leave the Option there to Move with the WASD, so if a User wants move the player with WASD Cool, if they want to move with Mouse Click Cool! having both options are good (in my opinion), as I have seen this in most MMORPG's, I know this is NOT an MMORPG Kit, but it has the Same Look and Feel, and Controls of a MMORPG, and im pretty sure people will be comparing this RPG Kit's Controls to that of MMORPG... I could be wrong, but just my thoughts...

2. regarding Click-to-Move, it works Great! only I would HIGHLY Suggest, swapping the Buttons... Make Click-to-Move, and Auto Attack / Follow Target Enemy as LEFT CLICK, and make the Camera Control RIGHT CLICK, I think it makes more sense this way, and that's what i am use to when playing MMORPGs, I Honestly have never seen an MMORPG with RIGHT CLICK-TO-MOVE and ATTACK, it's always LEFT CLICK

3. Regarding Camera.... the Camera Control with a RIGHT CLICK (in my suggestion) would be Perfect... but if I LEFT CLICK-TO-MOVE, (if you go with my suggestion), The Camera should always dynamicly follow behind the player, NOT GET LOCKED IN POSITION while the player is moving to the Destination where you Clicked... it's really annoying and actually BLINDS You from your FRONT VIEW where you should be looking at anyway...

best example... I noticed that (since the WASD Movement is Disabled Currently) the S Key brought the Camera back right behind the Player exactly how im describing above... so If you Click-To-Move, and Hold Down the S Key the Camera Follows Behind the Player very Nicely! = ) You should try it! = ), then you'll understand what i mean, and how this will be Good...

so right the RIGHT CLICK for Camera Control the Player will always have the Option to Move the Camera in 360 Degrees to fully see what behind the player, or left or right etc.... when you LET GO of RIGHT CLICK the Camera should RESUME to Follow the Player from Behind...

4. BIG BUG... or MINOR I don't know.. when Double Clicking the Target Enemy to Auto Attack, at First it Works Fine, it Attacks the Enemey, but when I Upgraded the Talent to Level 2 (using the unspent talent point), the Auto Attack STOPPED WORKING... = (

OK there you go!! = ) I hope I get my Name Somewhere in your Asset Readme, or on the Asset Store as "Special Thanks" to Jonathan Malave (Kuroato Media) for Testing and Bug Reporting! = ) LOL!!! as this testing stuff does take serious time, and to write all this! Special Thanks, Credit for your Testers / Bug Reporters is always Nice! = ) if possible! If you say NO, then I'm going to Stop testing and Bug Reporting Right Now!!! LOL!!!

Na Kidding... I'll still test it, and bug report lol... as I really enjoy what your creating here and plan to make good use of it! Keep Going!!!

16. DevionGames

DevionGames

Thanks for the feedback. I have added all your suggestions as an option. You can setup the mouse buttons in the inspector, you can also toggle the camera auto rotation in the inspector of the camera script.

17. jonkuze

jonkuze

Cool also one more thing, I know you said you can adjust the auto-attack talent refresh/reload speed...

I think for now, for testing purposes you should maybe set it to 1-2 Second Refesh/Reload, as the player dies very quickly... No likes to sit there like a dumb getting hit and during because the basic attack function did not reload quick enough lol!!! Just a small suggestion, as I feel you may continue to get negative feedback about this... And although I understand you can change it in inspector, new testers of your RPG Kit may look at this as a bug that needs to be fixed.

So to save everyone the pain and time.. Just refresh that first talent in 1-2 seconds for auto-attack.

First impressions is very important in everything we showcase to the public even if its as demo...

Just my thoughts again. = )

18. Venged

Venged

Hello Zerano - When do you think you plan to release this kit? What is the ETA. It is looking really nice.

19. DevionGames

DevionGames

As soon as i fully finish the inventory and equipment and replace the NGUI with the free version, i will then intensively test it and release the first version with a reduced price. The price will raise with each update.

20. DevionGames

DevionGames

I can change that for testing, but as you can see in the tooltips of items, the equipment will manipulate the speed of attack also. But i will change that today for testing and upload the demo again.

Thanks!

21. jonkuze

jonkuze

Cool! Look forward to testing the new version, webplayer.

22. DevionGames

DevionGames

Uploaded, links are in first post.

23. nixter

nixter

How do you attack? I armed my character and placed the skills in my quick bar but there is no way to use them. Clicking on enemies does nothing. Using the number keys did nothing.

24. DevionGames

DevionGames

Well you have tried the wasd version?

You did all right, you need to click on the enemy, then go close enough to the enemy and then click on the placed talent in the quick bar. I will get the number keys working for the next upload. Let me know if it worked for you.

25. nixter

nixter

No, the WASD version doesn't work either. I can click on an enemy and see their healthbar appear, but even if I stand right next to them clicking the skills in the quickbar has no effect.

I'll wait for the next demo and see if that works.

26. jonkuze

jonkuze

Regarding Spawnpoiny script, shouldn't there be an option to destroy the object? As in dont allow it to respawn on death.

If there is an option for this cool, I did not see it. If maybe it should be added.

27. DevionGames

DevionGames

Very strange, if you click on the talent even without target does the animation play for you? Do you added the free talent point to the talent you are using? The talent will only be used if it has at least one talent point spent.

No, i will add that, thanks!

Edit:
    I have added that option:

Last edited: Feb 12, 2013
  28. DevionGames

DevionGames

I have added a non target option, so you do not need to select the enemy before attacking. You can now simply use the "Skill"/Talent, if there is an enemy in range and you have no target you will target it automaticly. Also added the number keys to the action/quick bar so you can now press for example (1,2,3...) to use the talent in the quick bar. You still need to add at least one talent point to be able to use that talent.

New demo in first post.

29. nixter

nixter

Ahh, that was it. I hadn't spent the first point. In many RPGs, your first basic attack is free, so the player can attack monsters even with 0 xp. You may want to consider doing that at least for your demo so people don't have the issue I did.

Some other easy things you may wish to implement:

Equipped Item Stats - Presently only non-equipped items will display stats.
    Item Stat comparison - When viewing a non-equipped items, stats for the already equipped item of type should be shown.
    Click to Open/Close - You can click to open a menu, but clicking the same button doesn't close the menu. It should.
    Keypress to Open/Close - Menus should be accessible by keypress. For instance, "i" for inventory.
    Double Click to Equip - Double clicking an unequipped weapon should equip it.

30. DevionGames

DevionGames

Thanks for the feedback, sounds great and i will implement that.

31. jonkuze

jonkuze

Hey Zerano,

After testing more of the Latest Updated Demo (Click to Move Demo), I have the following Suggestion.

1. Can you give us an Option for Toggling the Camera from Auto Follow behind Player, and one Free Camera?
    -- in other words, I like the update with ability to press/hold right click to move camera around player and it auto-returns to follow behind player
    -- I was thinking this is Good, but also maybe give the option of having the Free Camera as well where you Rotate Camera with Right Click and it does not auto-return to follow player... I think a good place to put this option is Middle Mouse Click so it's a smooth transition between Camera Control.

2. When the Player is Running to a Destination where I Click on the World, I notice that the player kind of Zig Zags along the Path, basically it is Not Smooth Running to the Location where Click, the Player gets there eventually ofcoarse but again not smoothly the player look jittery while moving.... I think something to do with the Path Finding Maybe? The enemies don't seem to have this problem them move along just fine.

32. DevionGames

DevionGames

1. Added that option with the suggested button.

2. Yes it is because of pathfinding. I have added an option not to use the pathfinding, but i will also smooth the path in the future.

I have also added all this you can try it as always in the demo in the first post :
    Keys
    I - Inventory/Profile
    T - Talents

(Please note the kit in the store is not updated yet, i want to make a more userfriendly ai inspector interface and update it then.)

Last edited: Feb 13, 2013
  33. jonkuze

jonkuze

- with the latest Update (click to move), i need to hold down the left click to move? this is not right, I should able to click a location in the screen/world/map, and the player moves there auto... (did you remove the auto go to location of click because of the path find issue?), I think this feature should stay the same and you just fix the jittering issues,,,,

- can you add the movement with WASD Option together with the Click to Move? or does this create a conflict in the code somehow? I think rather than two totally separate controls it might be helpful to have just one universal controller setup that users can easily choose on their how to play the game wither move with WASD, or with Click to Move... I think it can be done... but really i guess up to you... and if other users will think it makes sense.

- when i Die, the player no longer auto attacks, i tried again and again... no luck....

Last edited: Feb 13, 2013
  34. Archania

Archania

Zerano Very nice updates and coming out great. Question for you. This will have quest, store, bank, and typical RPG functionality right? I know that there is only one hand available for equipping items. Is there a way for a left/right hand equip? Like sword shield? or in case of a mage - staff/wand? etc.

35. DevionGames

DevionGames

Thanks i will fix that.

Yes, it will have all this typical rpg systems, by time. I will firstly get the existing one perfect and continue then with implementing new one.

The problem with the equipment is that i would need to remove one of the other icons/equipment slots, to get a one more free slot, but i can do that as an option, so you have a slot for right and left hand.

36. DevionGames

DevionGames

Okay this is how the ai inspector interface looks like, it has mostly the same settings only sorted in groups:

37. nixter

nixter

Just tried out the latest demo. Big improvement! Just small things like the Double Click To Equip and Keypress to Open/Close make the demo behave much smoother and seem more polished.

38. DevionGames

DevionGames

Thank you that is true!

I am currently uploading the newest version to my store, so it would be great if the people who have already purchased it, download the newest version. It is still uploading and will take arround 3 hours. If you purchased it in the last hour, i would recommend to wait until it is uploaded, because you could get a currupt file. Very sorry about this.

I have also updated the demo in first post.

39. jonkuze

jonkuze

Tested Latest Update...!

- Click to Move (Movement) is much much better! seems much smoother than before! Great Job! = )

- I still can't auto follow the NPC, or attack them after my Life is 0, Maybe you can add some Potions to Restore Life, and Respawn of Player when Dies (and death animation)?

- Regarding Camera Control, is it easy to swap the default Camera Mode? as I think the Free Camera (no auto follow) might be better as Default, as I think I made a mistake with my idea... sorry about that... I think Free Camera (no auto follow) is the default for most MMORPGs today, but I also know I have seen the Option for the Camera to Auto Follow Behind Player, so it is still good! = ) Just think Free Camera may be better as Default for the Click to Move controls.

- Other than that Awesome Work!! = )

40. DevionGames

DevionGames

Thank you very much, no it is just an option in the camera inspector, so i can change that.

I will add some potions and a resurrection possibility.

41. Hans

Hans

Sent you an Email Zerano through your profile.

Hope there will be alot of customizing and alot of real RPG related tools in version 2 :)

Thanks

Hans

42. Hans

Hans

Does your pathfinding work with Unitys Nav system?

43. DevionGames

DevionGames

No, the kit works with unity free, exept the render texture in the profile.

44. hcwork

hcwork

I have some thoughts for the kit.

On the avatar to equip, you really should have a shield mount point for the off hand.

With most games like this, everything in the hotkey bar is supposed to be like an "extra" attack of sorts. So, you should have at least three sets of main attacks. The main attacks should fire off when left clicking the mouse on a selected target. This should be based on the type of weapon you are holding. So, if I am holding a bow, I dont want to see my melee attack array get called. In your first kit, I modified the code so that the what type of weapon I was holding would give me a different attack.

1. Single Handed Weapons with Shield in Off Hand
    2. Two Handed Weapons
    3. Bow and arrow ranged attack

The Talents should be able to be used based on if you need a target (either self of NPC) or area of effect.
    Then, you should be able to set the talents in your hot key bar and when you click on them, it overrides the default attack. The default attack should resume while the hot key attack is recharging.

The other thing I would really love to see in this upgraded version is to have a party of player characters. Where NPCs could join your party and you could have up to 4 or six in your group and you could control them all. Of course, then you would need some AI so that they did things when you were not in control as well.

I really think some of the things you should put in next are the basics of creating a character, storing and saving. These were all things you had in version 1 and they worked well.

I really like your work. Its a big time saver for me. Thanks alot!

45. DevionGames

DevionGames

Thank you very much for your feedback hcwork, i finished my exams last friday and hope to make many updates in the next weeks.

46. DevionGames

DevionGames

I finished the shop system new video is in first post, an updated demo will come soon:

47. nixter

nixter

Hey that's looking good!

48. jonkuze

jonkuze

That's Pretty Awesome! = )

Next we need a Quest System! Enjoying watching this Develop! Keep up the Great Work!

49. Hans

Hans

Looking good, when are you updating the files?
    Also were do i find the doc,s on how to use all of the components/tools?

50. DevionGames

DevionGames

I am sorry, i have not written the docs yet. I will write them in the next days. There is not a lot to write about, because most of them are self-explanatory, but i will start writing them today. The wasd demo is already updated, i found a small bug(if you add items to the sell list and close the shop, the items are lost, i will fix it today and upload the files to ftp then).

The unitypackage in my store is also broken, i do not see why, but all who already purchased it should use the project not the unitypackage. I will try to export the unitypackage again.

The quest system is already in work!

Thanks all for your support!