Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

RPG Kit

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by DevionGames, Feb 5, 2013.

1. jonkuze

jonkuze

Zerano, i think one of the most important things that needs to be covered either in documentation or in a video is how do we import our own custom characters into this Framework to work the way you have it working such as with the weapons equipping and such...

I'm curious to know what the requirements are, and what the process actually looks like for how to import a totally different character model besides the Character Set that is included with the Kit.

I have not yet purchased the kit yet as I have my handful with other projects, and realized i don't have a need currently for your RPG Kit 2.0, but I'm sure I will in the very near future so i support this 110% and will continue to give feedback, input regarding it... and will purchase eventually.

2. Dinrae

Dinrae

Hello,

I'm interested in buying your kit to help me prototyping my game, but i have some questions first:
    - Is it compatible with Max, iOS, Android?
    - Do you plan to add dual-wield? If you have slots problem, just add a line with offhand and a ring slot (Seems you don't have any).
    - Will you include all the things you done in your previous kit? (Looks like so, you started to add shop).

Also, keep in mind players have habits when they play RPG games, there are gameplay rules which are established from years now, i think you should really follow them, because it's what people want to see in-game because they are used to it since years now, aka:
    - Windows GUI should be draggable.
    - In Player Profile, clicking on rotating arrows should turn around the player in windows GUI and not in game.
    - Rotating player in game should be with right click and not left click.
    - As there is a slot for it near Health and Mana, you should show player head.
    - Shop: Your system is quite outdated when you look at games standard, you should add an option for a system where players just CTRL+Click to buy from merchant, or sell from their inventory when they are at a shop.

Your work is amazing, i don't know if you play video games, but if you want to sell more, you should really concentrate on duplicating system people are expecting to see.

3. DevionGames

DevionGames

1. The UI is compatible with ios/android because i am using ngui for it. The character controller is not made for ios/android, i hope to change this in the future and add an option at least for android.

2. Yes this is planed as an option.

3. This kit is more advanced and much more easier to customize, i will add most typical rpg features, but some of them will work in a diffrent way then i have done in my previous work.

Thanks for the suggestions, i will try to add some as an option.

@Hans: I have started to write the docs, you will find them here. It is still work in progress, but i hope to fill the pages with more information in the next days.

4. GPG

GPG

Hey it would be cool if you could make it so the player doesnt have to click the spells/abilities make it so if you press 1 it casts it or if you press 2 it does the spell that is in 2, would make it much more game like and much easier to use from a player stand point

Looks really cool at the moment yet, very interested in picking this one up when its done

5. DevionGames

DevionGames

It works already this way in my version, i currently do not know if i have added that already into the demo, but i will update the demo anyway today.

6. Hans

Hans

Thanks for starting the docs Zerano :)
    Have you uploaded the new version?

7. DevionGames

DevionGames

I have a bad internet connection, it is still uploading and will take arround 3-4 hours.

Edit: Please note, the quest state in the ai is not fully implemented and will not be triggered. I hope to add the documentation about the ai states tomorrow.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2013
  8. Hans

Hans

oh ok, all good :)
    can i ask how often will you be doing updates?
    1 week
    every 2 weeks
    1 a month

9. DevionGames

DevionGames

Currently i am working on the kit very intensive so there is mostly every day something to show.
    If a system is finished, it is not a big deal to zip it and drag it to ftp, so there will be updates every 2-3 days, but i can not guarantee that i can do this in the future, but i will try to make an update at least every 2 weeks. But like i said please do not denounce me if an update will take 1 month or more, when the main features are done.

10. Hans

Hans

no i wont denounce you if an update takes a month.

are you going to make all your tools available from the menu?

11. Hans

Hans

can you let us now when you have uploaded an update please

12. DevionGames

DevionGames

Yes you will be able to add the components from a menu. If you mean this?

The kit is uploaded now.

13. jonkuze

jonkuze

I will check out latest update! = ) do have any feedback for me? regarding how easy will it be for use to import our own custom character models?

14. DevionGames

DevionGames

It is very easy and needs only a few steps, today i wanted to write about the ai states and then about importing custom characters. If you go with the mouse over the menu RPG Kit 2.0, you will see a drop down menu here , one point of this drop down menu is character. There i will explain how to setup characters.

15. yusolaifdfer

yusolaifdfer

Looks neat, can really help the artists to get a kick start for their games.. and to be honest I don't usually say this but price seems very fair

16. DevionGames

DevionGames

Thank you very much!

17. DevionGames

DevionGames

I have just added the documentation about the character setup. This "Setup Player" button will be in the next update.

18. jonkuze

jonkuze

very cool! will check it out now! = ) thank you...

19. jonkuze

jonkuze

Looks really simple! thats awesome!

But not for some Feedback Suggestions...

1. add get hit animation, when player is hit by enemy
    2. player death animation
    3. need a player respawn or game over option... currently i notice in the demo, the player dies with no death, respawn, or game over option
    4. enemy needs get hit animation, when player hits enemy
    5. the collision i believe needs some work between player and enemy, as currently it seems when the player is fighting the enemy, most of the time i find my player stand right inside of the enemy, this should not be.... there should be some kind of collider in place that creates space between the enemy and the player to engage in a fight... currently they fight but they go through each other... no collision... this should be added

that's it for now! = )

20. DevionGames

DevionGames

Thanks for the feedback, i am currently working on the quest system, as soon as it is done, i will implement your suggestions.

21. janpec

janpec

Fantastic work, i really like how weapons are droped in world space, not sure if i noticed but does AI attack player on its own or does player have to initiate it always?

22. DevionGames

DevionGames

It depends how you setup it, i have setuped the red named npcs to be aggressive, so they attack the player on its own.

Check out the Attack State settings.

23. DevionGames

DevionGames

Quest System Update

- WebPlayer demos are updated.
    - New video in first post.(The demos have more features then the video)
    - Still need to write documentation for the Quest State.

There are 4 diffrent quest in the demo:
    1. Bring an item. (The Warrior)
    2. Kill enemy.(No Force)
    3. Talk to other npc.(The Message)
    4. All mixed.(Mixed Quest, this quest is very stupid, but it shows the possibilities)

I hope to get some feedback on the quest system. :D

Please note the price of the kit will raise with the quest system update, which will come tomorrow.

24. jonkuze

jonkuze

is the click to move demo updated? i tried but i don't see Quest yet... = (

25. DevionGames

DevionGames

Yes both demos are updated, maybe you should clear your cache?

26. jonkuze

jonkuze

OK regarding Quest, 2 BUGS..... (tested in Click-to-Move)

1. I can't complete the "give message" Quest... when I talk to Simon he says "thank you for message" but nothing else happens, he keeps saying "thank you" but I get no reward... (probably because there is a conflict as Simon also provides the No Force Quest)

2. I can't complete the "No Force" Quest, as when I kill two NPC with Red, and go back to talk to Simon (after accepting the message quest), Simon does not provide reward because he keeps saying "thanks for message"

Tip / Solution:

1. Create a Separate NPC that will accept "the message" and I guess maybe provide reward, or make user go back to the original NPC to get reward for the "give message" Quest.

*this should probably fix the issue, and as a rule maybe, don't allow the same NPC who provides a Quest to be involved in another Quest so to avoid conflict.

P.S. you should hire me as your tester lol! = )

27. DevionGames

DevionGames

Very strange i can not reproduce it. I wanted a npc who provides a quest to be involed in other quest, it is a feature of the quest system.
    It does not matter which quest i accept first, everything works fine. Could you explain how to reproduce the bug? Which npc do you click first, second... which task do you do first...?

28. jonkuze

jonkuze

ok this is how to replicate it...

1. go around and accept all Quest from all NPCs
    2. now go and try to complete all Quest, but DO NOT COMPLETE THE QUEST FOR "Kill 2 Red NPC"
    3. now finally once you complete all other Quests, go now and try to complete the Last Quest "Kill 2 Red NPC"
    4. you should see that this NPC does not reward you for that Quest, only continues to say "Thank you"

29. Hans

Hans

Hi Kuroato

is the above playing it from the web player from the first post? or is it from the d/l link were you purchased it?

30. hcwork

hcwork

If one NPC gives two quests, it seems he wont talk to you until you complete both quests. Also, you have to add some way of knowing when a quest is complete. Maybe have an Active Panel, and a Completed Panel. Even with just four quests, I forgot which ones I did! Great work though. Thanks

31. jonkuze

jonkuze

this is happening in the webplayer .... i have not purchased the Asset yet.... as currently don't have a need for it... so i am just following this thread for the updates, providing feedback to help improve it... and evetually will look into buying it. = )

32. DevionGames

DevionGames

Thank you very much, this should be fixed now.(Demo updated)

This is not updated yet, if there are no bugs anymore, i will update the d/l link today.

I will add a done quest panel.

Suggestions i copied from the thread, basicly it is for me :D

Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
  33. Dinrae

Dinrae

Bought your kit, tested it a bit earlier, as i said again, your work is amazing, cannot wait to see the next updates.

As for your quest system, it seems fine, but it need some tweaks:
    - Player need to know, when looking at NPC quest marker, what is the state of the quest, for example, Yellow "New Quest", Grey-ed "Active Quest", Green "Quest can be completed", well, if you could allow that to be customized, it would be even better.
    - As suggested, an active quest log could be useful (Show for example 5 quests on right, player can mark in quest window what quest need to be tracked, just look at some Torchlight 2 for example, for how it is done (graphically))
    - When looking at NPC quest, if you move, quest window should close (lots of people never click decline and just move away).
    - If i do all the quests but mixed one, and after those quests are done, accept the mixed quest, the quest stay active and you cannot complete it. This mixed should be completed even you accepted it after doing all the quests.

GUI:
    - When dragging item on player model in inventory window, this item should be auto-equipped (like double click in inventory).
    - Bottom Left of Inventory, you should add delete button (with garbage icon) to allow players to destroy item (with confirmation window, it would be even better).

I have found lots of other minor bugs, but it is too long to reproduce them with webplayer (Reload page is too long), i will post more when you will have updated your download package.

34. DevionGames

DevionGames

Thank you for purchasing the kit. That is a great idea.

There is already an active quest log, if you click on the quest button in the action bar, you will see all active quests, but i should add a log of last quests on the right of the screen:

1. Yes i will implement it.
    2. Will look into it in a few minutes, thanks for reporting.
    Edit: Hmm i have just tried it, i completed the 3 other quests and accpeted the last one then and could complete it without problems. When do you tried the demo? I made a fix regards not completion a quest arround 1 hour ago.

Thanks for the suggestions, i will add them to my list.Thank you very much, i will also add a report bug tool into this kit.

35. Venged

Venged

I'm loven the documentation!!! Very nice format. Looks like I will use the previous kits I bought from you, and the other RPG Kit from the other seller on the asset store, for educational purposes only. I'm moving my RPG project to this kit and converting the few scripts I wrote myself to work with it.

The updates are coming quick and for lack of better words, this RPG Kit is off the chain!!!!

Thanks

Robert

36. DevionGames

DevionGames

Thank you!

I just updated the demo. There is now a quick quest bar on the right side, which shows next step of each quest:

I am currently uploading the newest version to my store(it will take arround 3 hours).
    If you are using paid NGUI, you should add this two lines in MessageManager.cs in Play() method, i have marked where to add them(they are currently commented out):

37. Venged

Venged

Thank you for that fix! Thanks for the great support and frequent updates!

38. DevionGames

DevionGames

I am happy that you like it, i am currently working on geting hit animations and some damage display:

The kit in my store is updated. The price raised with the quest update to 140$

39. hcwork

hcwork

if I turn OFF respawining of NPCs and kill them all, and then go get a quest, there is then no way to complete the quest.

So, a real world scenario might be like this, I have a quest to retrieve kill "powerful wizard A". But, I kill "powerful wizard A" before I even accept the quest. Then, there is no way for me to complete the quest, because the quest is already complete, but the scenario is not recorded because I did not accept the quest yet! We might need a way to tag certain NPCs as being "quest ending" NPCs, the once we are persisting this to a datasource, be able to retrieve all completed quests, even if we have not accepted them yet. You of course would not even display the quest in the quest log if you did not accept the quest. But, as soon as you accept it, you would then be able to complete it, because you already killed "powerful wizard A". Otherwise, as usual, nice work!

HC

40. Hans

Hans

Ausome, i have the full version of NGUI
    Are you going to add a spell system in?

41. DevionGames

DevionGames

Yes currently there is no way, but the quest involved npc has a flag, so this is easy to add. I will implemet it.

Well yes it will be not a spell system but you will have ranged talents. So basicly a talent that will be usable like a spell.

Edit: I have just added the Quest State, Message Manager and GetHit State to the documentation.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
  42. nixter

nixter

Fantastic updates, Zerano! I'm very excited about this framework.

43. DevionGames

DevionGames

Thank you!

This is what i am working on at the moment, still need to add some more possibilities to setup a talent (Buff, AOE and some other nice effects)

And some clean up in PlayerManager, moving ui stuff to InterfaceContainer.

44. Hans

Hans

Very nice work Zerano, cant wait for the next update :)

45. DevionGames

DevionGames

Thank you very much, next update will be tomorrow with the ranged attacks including Missle, Buff, diffrent types of AOE--> GiveTarget, OnTarget, OnSelf and a much better talent editor. I am currently making the video.

46. Venged

Venged

Zerano, everything is working well. This is a great asset for me!

47. DevionGames

DevionGames

That is great! Here is the second version of Ranged Attacks, this update will come today.

48. Hans

Hans

Is it been uploaded yet ?

49. jonkuze

jonkuze

Zerano, I just want to say Congrats on all the progress you made with the Asset! = ) It looks really Amazing!

I have yet to purchase it but im sure in the very near future I will, and will have the time to play with it and create something great with it! = )

Keep it up! Good Work!

50. jonkuze

jonkuze

Zerano, will the click - to - move demo be updated with all the latest features? or is it just my computer again not clearing my cache lol! let me know, i enjoy the click - to - move demo much better!