Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

How to set 30 days time check for game demo?

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by leegod, Feb 2, 2013.

1. leegod

leegod

As title,

How can I set days limit to game's standalone file?

And if that days pass, block some function or running itself.

Thank.

2. Alex Cruba

Alex Cruba

Offline or online game demo?

3. dkozar

dkozar

You should invest in an obfuscator or licencing program, which enables you to set the expiration date on your assemblies.

4. leegod

leegod

offline game demo

5. TheRaider

TheRaider

If you are really serious about it this is the way to go. You won't really be able to protect it that well yourself quickly.

6. leegod

leegod

Usage method is too complicated.

I just need date-limit function.(After some days from install and run, block running.(But unity standalone does not have install process, then how?))

Is there any recommendable obfuscator(I don't know well about) or licensing solution for unity3d window standalone?

7. ColossalDuck

ColossalDuck

What I would do, if I didn't want to use a licensing tool, is have my game write the date it first runs, into a serialized binary file. Then I would have my game read from this file every time its run and compare dates. I would have many of these files, some of them in the appdata folder, others in the installation folder. If one of them is deleted have it replaced. I would also have a registry backup check. In the end though, the dkozar has the right idea.

8. leegod

leegod

hi, thx for reply,

How to make [my game write the date it first runs, into a serialized binary file]?

But maybe this is easily hacked by change Window's Date manually, right?

Last edited: Feb 3, 2013
  9. ColossalDuck

ColossalDuck

Object Serialization

But maybe this is easily hacked by change Window's Date manually, right?[/QUOTE]

Just check and see how many days of the trial they have left. If it's more than thirty, they be doing something tricky and you make the game close. They can just set the date to the day they first ran the game every time they play though, and that is why it would be quite a bit better if you use dkozar method.