Search Unity

Not happy with the Winners of the DX 11 Contest?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Prion Games, Feb 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Prion Games

Prion Games

The thread title says it all. After I just recently seen the top 3 and the overall winner I was like $%#@! I mean I seen some really good submissions, ones that made these 3 selected look mediocre. But what do you guys think? What was your favorite submission and who do you think should have won it.

My personal favorite comes between the Sail Ship entry and the Scene on the subway with the demon at the end, those really caught my attention.

http://unity3d.com/contest/dx11

2. oulaoup

oulaoup

Where can we see the other contestants?

3. Prion Games

Prion Games

Most are in Showcase section.

4. Ben-Massey

Ben-Massey

Unfortunately you we not the judge Josh,
    I think the winner(s) were well selected... I mean it was one of the only projects i saw that featured the majority of DX11 features. It also made sense... They made a believable environment, well executed showcase that had the intention of impressing everyone. Most of the submissions had disjointed scenes showcasing different features which was..well lets be honest.. a mess.

Overall i dont see what the problem is, they did a beautiful job and so did all the other contestants. Also really nice to see Unity providing these comps.

5. chrisall76

chrisall76

I feel like the choices where just fine, but Voxel Cone Tracing should have been first.

6. MarigoldFleur

MarigoldFleur

I don't know. The GPU particle sim in the Museum one made me consider booting up my PC to mess around with.

7. Prion Games

Prion Games

Well like I stated it was my opinion. I feel there were some better choices, but that is why I want everyone to pan in on who they thought was the favorites in their own opinions.

8. DreamLight

DreamLight

Many many years ago (before unity existed) I entered a graphics programming competition in which I completely outclassed my competitors. However they knew that the true nature of these kind of competitions are actually promo material sourcing and won with a inferior solution by spending far more time on presentation. The 'best' work doesn't always win. The winner in this case was the most 'promo' like. Go figure. Edit: After playing the demos, I actually prefer the winning entry. Damn Standard def videos :p

Last edited: Feb 2, 2013
  9. n0mad

n0mad

Wow ... thank you for showing respect to :
    1) a decision from people that have far more technical knowledge than anyone here
    2) the winner's work ...

The competition was not a texture contest, but a technical contest.

10. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

This is exactly my thoughts.

11. Prion Games

Prion Games

For one respect is not handed out, another how sure are you on exactly who in the Unity staff judges? Do we see their everyday duties, nope. Again my opinion, this is gossip section if you do not like it, beat it.

Or you can throw this whole thread into a big deal over ones opinion in any case I wouldn't give a second though about. Then a certain Admin can come close it. Seriously get your head out of your arse and leave threads alone you care nothing about.

12. n0mad

n0mad

Opinions are a thing, formulation is another.

13. YetiForge

YetiForge

Whine whine whine!

14. Acumen

Acumen

Even though you are totally entitled to your opinion, it would have come off way less harsh, if you just worded it a bit differently and more politely :eek:
    And at least congratulated the winners in the first place. You sound like I submitted a stick figure and used some parallax mapping on it's eyeballs :(

Also what is it with your aggressive attitude lately. I wonder what would happen if someone would come to judge your work on such an intense level. We are a community here, and a certain level of base respect and following some guided rules should be quite accetable :/

15. Prion Games

Prion Games

Ah? I gave my opinion on what I thought of the contest, end of story. The contest has its winners. It is long past over but i just gave my opinion on it. if you care to not chime in on it then leave. otherwise give your opinion and move on.

16. Prion Games

Prion Games

I am not going to try and act nice when it was not needed, I am also not going to congratulate anyone. I am simply saying what i thought, after that who cares, like it would matter at this point. I am not giving friendly hand outs, specially to a community that looks to flame on the next thread they come in communication with, this forum turns on its side more times a day than anyone can count. Community is full of hate and heat, why bother giving a lick other than my opinion.

I have seen this community buckle before thus Collab section was destroyed. One thread were all buddies, then the next were all at our throats like savages.

17. n0mad

n0mad

Ok I'll give my opinion and then "move on" :

There's a frontier called "respect" between :
    - "What the $%#@! is this decision ? I'm not happy with it. The 3 winners are looking mediocre."

and

- "Hi, congratulations to the winners, there were some great qualities in their work. Although, in my humble opinion, I thought that some other entries would have deserved far more recognition than what they actually received. What do you people think about it ?"

If you can't get the difference, I'm sorry for you.

ok ............... I won't go further then. Have a nice day.

18. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

I care because you are constantly being rude to the Unity staff, who work tirelessly to make the forums a good place. You see, I respect these judges Aras and Aurore have proven themselves at what they do and who are you to disregard this, I don't see S*** that you made do I? Unless stupid posts trying to troll people and telling Antenna Tree that it his job to run the forums and we shouldn't thank him for it. I don't know what your game is but WTF are you doing here? just to troll people because there successful at what they do? maybe your lack of talent makes you think somehow posts like this make you seem like you know a thing or to? no, no they don't so please make a game, make a renderer or whatever the hell you do but don't troll... that's my job.

That is all, I won't be replying so don't bother.

19. Prion Games

Prion Games

100% Kiss Ass!

You are one of those select group of people that hammer on every thread I make no matter what it is about if it concerns you are not, so why should I give a S*** anymore what you think? I gave up giving a lick months ago.

20. Acumen

Acumen

None of the contest winners did any harm to you or anyone else, as far as I can tell, so I don't understand why you go in rage mode. Let alone attack people within this very thread that just stated their opinion as well. Which is just what you wanted to do as well.
    I'm sorry you seem to be upset about certain events lately, but I'm sure it won't get any better with disproportionate reactions like this.

21. Prion Games

Prion Games

Stating a opinion about the winners and other projects is one thing, but i was getting personally attacked again, funny as hell really. You guys seem to think I care? if you cannot see that then your blind.

My thread started with 3 good replies then the idiots had to drop in with there hate crime against me so yes I will continue my rage mode as long as these people keep popping in.

22. Amon

Amon

Chill out people!

Just move on if you don't like a certain thread!

23. Prion Games

Prion Games

Here's "hint"

Beat it!

(directed to Nomad)

24. Prion Games

Prion Games

My thread did not in anyway personally attack a person, nor a project. I gave my opinion on the winners compared to all the submissions I seen over the past few days. I said I saw ones that made the top 3 look mediocre, in no way did I say they have crappy projects, I just felt that others deserved to be there by my opinion only. Then these "pricks" came in here hating not on my thread, nor sharing their opinion on my topic, but simply hating on me, now i should be nice, you want respect from me? I am not doing anything of the sort.

If you think my thread meant harm in some way then either report it, or get lost and leave it alone. otherwise it will just be a rant contest until its closed.

25. GiusCo

GiusCo

You're surely passionate and eager to affirm your ideas, however there is room to improve: interpersonal skills and business-like mannerism will make or break your way sensibly more than raw talent.

26. marcoantap

marcoantap

It seems to me that you have a lot of energies and you come to the forums to spend them. Instead do some physical exercise, that will help you with your health and let you focus on what's really important. Regards.

27. Aurore

Aurore

Director of Real-Time Learning

This thread has clearly been created to start a conflict. Closing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.