Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Free Admob plugin, simple prefab.

Discussion in 'Android' started by CuddlyBunnie, Jan 25, 2013.

1. CuddlyBunnie

CuddlyBunnie

EDIT : new version here

Now with all of the options you could shake a stick at exposed. source

Hello, the free admob packages around here all require some setup so I thought I would put this up here.

All you need to do is import the package, drag the adbanner prefab in your scene and fill in the Publisher ID variable.
    All credit goes to here all I did was get translate it to English, put in a newer Sdk and make a prefab with some variables for your own Publisher ID and refresh rates(make sure you setup the refresh rate to what you want in unity as you cant change it from the admob console).

You can download the package here, there is a test scene included if you need to see how its done.

Enjoy your ads.

Last edited: May 9, 2014
    nodiced922 likes this.
  2. tigerfoot

tigerfoot

Tried it and it's working. I linked it with my AdMob publisher and it's showing up on my dashboard. Very simple and easy, just what I needed. Thanks!

3. Grespon

Grespon

Sweet! Tks.

Edit:
    Actually it's working perfectly on Android, but on my iPhone it shows banners from iAd and i can't click it.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2013
  4. javanoob

javanoob

Stupid question but I drop the prefab into my game and on Android tablet the ads appear ,Is it really this easy lol ? If so you are a legend :) do I just upload the APK to googleplay and its all good from there ? Sorry to sound like a thicky lol but I seem to have seem a million posts etc to do this but yours is literally drag and drop and go :) ,Basically if the ads appear on the Tablet its working ? .

Another probably stupid question( im great at these :p) I know GooglePlay gets 30% of your game or app on all sales ,but does admob take a cut as well or is it all part of googleplay ?

Last edited: Mar 8, 2013
  5. Jawad

Jawad

Not working..getting error Assets/AdmobBanner/AdmobBanner.js(6,5): BCE0005: Unknown identifier: 'AdBannerObserver'.
    Assets/Scripts/Mics/Advertisement/AdvertisementManager.cs(41,9): error CS0103: The name `AdvertisementHandler' does not exist in the current context
    What should i do now??? :(

6. miksumortti

miksumortti

Google Play doesn't interfere with ad revenue at all, but yes, AdMob takes some cut (not sure how much...)

7. CuddlyBunnie

CuddlyBunnie

@ Javanoob - Yes its that simple, no one really takes a cut from your admob revenue other than admob but they don't tell you how much, i wouldn't expect much from them though (at 10,000 impressions a day I get about $2 maybe). I've actually used allot of advertising providers over the past year, I'm yet to find anyone that pays much for Banner ads. If you need any help deciding you can feel free to Pm me.

@ Jawad - have you set it to build for Android? or iOS if your using that. If you try to build for any other platform it will fail.

@ Grespon - It should work on iOS but I have never tested it (and don't have an iphone to test it at the moment) its a long shot but you could try adding AdSupport.framework in Xcode, if you select the target on the right there is link binaries and libraries, press the + button and add that in.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2013
  8. Jawad

Jawad

I have set it for android....but above mentioned errors came... :(

9. javanoob

javanoob

Thanks CB :) ,I hear a lot about "free with ads" being the best way to make money from a game as opposed to actually selling it ,what in your view is the best way to monetize a game or app please ?
    And is it just admob that kills the game in progress if I press the ad button ,or is there a way of the game still carrying on ?
    I am a little lost suddenly hearing about android games making millions of dollars like angry birds etc then other people are saying you will be lucky to earn anything at all ,I know it depends on the game quality obviously but which is the best way to go ?

Angry Birds on Android + admob = $1 million a month ,

source

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=DpLRQy5cNIc

I guess that answers my question lol :)

One more thing :p Can you put 3 identical games on GooglePlay seperately
    ie Free with ads ,paid no ads ,and free with in game level purchases ?

Last edited: Mar 12, 2013
  10. CuddlyBunnie

CuddlyBunnie

The best way to monetize apps (that I have found based on around 6 games and some basic apps):

Ads - There okay if you have a lot of traffic (like angry birds), though there are a few things that can help you if you don't have millions of people playing your game:

Ad walls - I use Appbrain for this(they have a unity plugin), and then tend to use the revenue generated back into promoting my app, it doesn't make much but it will still probably be more than admob for low traffic apps Link There are others that do the same so you can check them out if you like.

Banner ads - basically what admob is providing, you will need so many clicks to make anything, I was originally using Mobclix but they decided they didnt actually want to pay me (seriously never use them).

Popups/Interstential - These are great but be careful not to annoy people, I use popups in areas where people aren't actually playing, like upgrade menus. I also have them come up when you open the app (but not if its the first time They have played the game). I use Heyzap for this, and i also use them for leaderboards and achievement's. Link to heyzap (they have a unity plugin and they have awesome support).

Freemium - Having your base game for free and then having in-app purchases to either upgrade the game (remove ads, add levels) or add purchasable consumables or extra items. This can be a great way of doing things, but if your adding in stuff that effects game play try and get it balanced so people have an incentive to purchase an item, but know that they don't have too. I did have a go at this on Amazon with one of my apps but found that just selling a full game and a free game was more effective. for 3 months i used the freemium model and then switched to a paid and free model, with the free and paid i made 36% more revenue(although there could be other things effecting sales during the periods so don't take this as 100% proof its more effective, it also varies dependant on what kind of app your selling).

Paid App - This is actually what makes me the most money and I find people get caught up in the complexity of trying to get people to but in app items and click on ads when sometimes people just want a full game. Theres also an added bonus of its much easier to get into the top of the top new section in Google with a paid app than a free app.

That should just about do it for that question:)

You can add as many of the same game on Google as you like, normally the free version and the free with in game level purchase would be the same app.

One last note, Google market sucks for trying to get popular, there's loads of competition, no keyword search and no just in section any more. My best revenue sources are:

Amazon app market - I was sceptical at first, but the thing we should remember is Amazons customers on kindles are used to buying books, so they seem much more open to paying for things.

Apple app store - Similar to amazon, the people using Iphones and Ipads just don't mind spending money.

Heyzap and Appbrain ads - I covered these above.

Google play - When my app was in the top new section it was actually pretty good, as soon as it left that it dropped to very little, although I get a lot of free app downloads I hardly get any conversions to pay, this is probably the best market for ads/freemium as everyone seems to expect everything to be free ( I actually get negative reviews on the free one complaining some features are only available in the paid version).

If you have any more questions you can add me on Skype at majorsolard(at)hotmail.com or Pm me but it may take a while to respond to Pm's

Apologies for the bad grammar and formatting, I have a pretty big workload today so I'm rushing a bit.

Rude-Bob, Jon-Jennings and kalamona like this.
  11. CuddlyBunnie

CuddlyBunnie

@ Jawad, can you try a new project and then try with the test scene I included, and which version of unity are you using? It looks like it cant find the admob sdk but it should be in there unless you unticked something when importing.

12. Jawad

Jawad

M using 3.5.2.....

13. CuddlyBunnie

CuddlyBunnie

You can try an upgrade to 3.5.7, that's what I'm using and I've never tested it on an older version, did you try it in a clean project? and could you try to import it again encase it missed something on the first import.

14. Jawad

Jawad

Yes i tried. it shows Assets/Scripts/Mics/Advertisement/AdvertisementManager.cs(41,9): error CS0103: The name `AdvertisementHandler' does not exist in the current context

15. CuddlyBunnie

CuddlyBunnie

The script your mentioning (AdvertisementManager.cs) isnt from my plugin. I'm guessing you tried to use another plugin before mine and it still has some items from that in there. Delete that script and make sure your importing my plugin not someone else's.

The assets from mine are :

AdmobBanner - folder:
    adbanner (prefab)
    AdmobBanner(script)
    AdmobTestScene(scene)

Plugins - folder
    AdBannerObserver (script)
    Android - subfolder
    AdMobPlugin (jarfile)
    AndroidManifest (manifest)
    GoogleAdMobAdsSdk - 6.2.1 (Jar)

Those are the only things form my package.

Just drag AdBanner into your scene and fill in your publisher id on it, then your done.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2013
  16. javanoob

javanoob

CuddlyBunnie you are truly a great person ,thank you for taking time out to help us all :) seriously I always think that 9/10 people are not very nice to put it politely but the 1 in 10 that you belong to are truly the reason that the world is still somewhere I want to continue to be a part of :) thank you :)

Jon-Jennings likes this.
  17. CuddlyBunnie

CuddlyBunnie

No problem, you will find most people on here are pretty friendly and helpful, I wouldn't be where I am today without them.

18. Jawad

Jawad

Thnx CuddlyBunnie.....adds are now showing.....:)

19. MHD-Salka

MHD-Salka

Super Awesome !! thanks a lot :)
    one question though , how can i change the position of the ad, i want to be on the top of screen?
    thanks again :)

20. rickylall

rickylall

How can I change the position of the ad.
    Right now it is coming at the bottom of the screen.
    In my app I need it at the top.

This is for Android.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2013
  21. CuddlyBunnie

CuddlyBunnie

The plugin is all openable in Ant so you can take a stab at it yourself if your feeling brave, although I will have a look into exposing the options to include the ability to change the position unity for you as soon as I can. At the moment it is only possible when using iOS. There is another plugin that's free and has these options here although it does require a little setting up.

Edit: it looks like that other plugin is also just drop and go(I swear when I originally posted this plugin the other one was more complicated), so I would recommend just using that version instead of mine anyway as it has more options. It doesn't really make any sense for both of us to be working on identical free plugins.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2013
  22. rickylall

rickylall

Thanks for the quick reply. Keep up the good work :)

23. Simotti

Simotti

Thanks alot, i can see the ads, but i have a question: How long does it take to see "requests" at ADMOB? As i just tried the game with ads and it doesnt show any requests yet. And it says:"Inactive"

Last edited: Apr 22, 2013
  24. CuddlyBunnie

CuddlyBunnie

An hour or 2 and it will show up, as long as you have put in your own id.

25. DavidC02

DavidC02

Hey man, great work. On iOS it shows ads from iAd though, and when I tried changing the AdSupport.framework on Xcode to Required, the game wouldn't launch.

Last edited: May 28, 2013
  26. augasur

augasur

Hi,
    I have opened your sample project, pasted my adMob ID. And when i test on my device , app shows addvertisments on my device,and I have pressed on them some times, but in AdMob panel my app shows as Inactive ( Inactive: AdMob has never received an ad request for your site) .

What can I do? Should I wait a little bit for AdMob to refresh? What are your suggestions?

P.S No problem, got it working :)

Last edited: Jun 19, 2013
  27. husainh00

husainh00

hi sorry im new here but i did everything and it shows the add but i cant click on it, am i doing something wrong

28. ddvgames

ddvgames

I tried many different tutorials and I didn't success .
    BUT
    This time it works, Thank You So Much!

I'm not sure what Admob have changed, but what I did to make this plugin works are:

1: replace the "GoogleAdMobAdsSdk-6.2.1" to the latest one"GoogleAdMobAdsSdk-6.4.1"

2: go to the admob website, Monetize a new app, then I have a Ad unit ID

3: in Unity, in the AdBanner prefab, put the" Ad unit ID" instead "Publisher Id“

DONE, it just works!

Thanks again!

29. VaibhavRocks

VaibhavRocks

Hi CuddlyBunnie.. Awesome work buddy.. Hats off!

Thanks a lot !

30. AndreasC

AndreasC

Hey !

I'm having an issue with my publisher ID on Admob, what ID should I really put in into the Unity plugin ?
    I'm using the new Admob, and there are an ad unit ID and my publisher ID.
    My publisher ID starts with "pub-" and my ad unit ID starts of with "ca-app-pub-", which one should I use ?
    I tried both, neither worked.

Thanks !

31. ABEMOS

ABEMOS

I need help!
    Thank you for posting this very helpful plugin. I have a couple of questions:
    when I created a new app in AdMob, it did not give me a publisher Id just an Ad unit Id. Can I use that one?!
    Also how can I change the location of the banner from the bottom to the top of the screen?
    Thank you very much

Last edited: Dec 20, 2013
  32. Zahidylin_Marat

Zahidylin_Marat

Hello!
    It dont works for me.
    I also trying to use Google Unity AdMob, but it also dont works.

33. mrstupes

mrstupes

Hello I also am having the same problems other people are having. the test ad does work, but when I enter my own information nothing shows up. Do I enter the whole ad ID that begins with ca-app-pub

34. ayaz79

ayaz79

I have my Paid and free version available at the same time, there is not issue at all :)

You can take a look at them here;

TopNotch Games

All the best

35. Zahidylin_Marat

Zahidylin_Marat

Now it works for me (Unity admob from google). I registered new AdMob (new AdMob interface), which requires AsSense account. I got very different (from last one) app Id. I also downloaded the latest GoogleAdMobAdsSdk-6.4.1 (1 file) and placed it in Plugins/Android folder. And it works on android device.

36. LordOfGears2

LordOfGears2

It's all working, but I can't click on ads. Is there a reason for this?

37. ravindra5337

ravindra5337

what is test Device id ?

38. CuddlyBunnie

CuddlyBunnie

Hey, sorry i basically abandoned this as the alternative free one is generally better, i get allot of Pm's still though so hopefully this will help you all:

If you cant click on your ad, its most likely a manifest issue, take a look here

The plugin was made before the changes to admob, to make it work now you will need to replace the sdk to a newer version, and use the Ad unit ID from your admob console.

If you want to change the position of the ad, the only way is to open it up in ant and change the positioning there, as i said before i would expose this for you all but didn't think it was worth the time as you could just use the other plugin here that allows this.

Hope this helps, sorry it took so long to reply.

39. Rynold

Rynold

So this is lovely and all...but I don't want the add to be there when the user is playing my main portion of the game. I comment out DontDestroyOnLoad(go) and it still shows up when I transition from my menu scene to my game scene...How can I fix this?

40. Zahidylin_Marat

Zahidylin_Marat

Hi. You need to hide Add first. I dont remember but it should be function like Hide().

41. sunny8751

sunny8751

Does anyone know if this plugin still works for the new Google Play Services integrated Admob? Also, can anyone tell me what to put for the test device code in the AdmobBanner script? Is this the ad unit id? Thanks.

42. gnchishti

gnchishti

Hi,
    CuddlyBunnie

You are really great. Thanks a lot

Can we remove the ads at run time...
    By calling any function like
    AdBannerObserver.RemoveAds();

or guid me how to do this... as I need to provide aids for free member of my app.. whenever it purchases a full member.. I need to remove it at run time...

thanks again

Last edited: Feb 28, 2014
  43. Diablo404

Diablo404

44. tequyla

tequyla

45. John-Sartain

John-Sartain

it worked but it displays on all scences how to only have it on one scene

46. Nitrohex

Nitrohex

I have the same issue...

47. Pedro11

Pedro11

hy Jawad how did you fix the error of Unknown identifer Adbannerobserver ? thanks

48. 08031992

Greate plugin but I can not click on adBanner, why?

49. Alundra

Alundra

Take care, you will need to use the last google play services to keep your app accepted on the google store.
    I'm not sure this asset support it. My plugin will be on store soon and support banner and interstitial using latest google play services.
    This asset is already used in a soon commercialized game who will be in google store without problem, it's a proven quality.
    The asset is pending on the store, it's a question of days to be on the store.
    About the click on banner it's a question of AndroidManifest.xml, my plugin handle that for you.

50. CuddlyBunnie

CuddlyBunnie

Take a look here
    Its just a simple manifest issue.

I will get around to everyone else's questions in a bit, see if i cant update this for you all.