Search Unity

Where is a good place to learn unity script?

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by Nightmare Games, Jan 25, 2013.

1. Nightmare Games

Nightmare Games

About a month ago I tried learning java script from a site called code academy. It was really just the basics. I really didn't walk away with that much learned. All it went over was functions, variables, etc(the basics)

I need something specifically for unity. JavaScript or C# it doesn't matter I am just dying to be independent and not rely on others.I have tried almost everything but I am having a hard time learning coding, like how to make a script specifically for one thing. I thought about going back to eteeski tutorials first vid on coding in unity, so I might do that

I'm 16 and want to make game developing my future!

2. sicga123

sicga123

I would suggest you get hold of a book first. However, there are none for Unity 4 scripting out there yet but one can still learn quite a bit from books on scripting for Unity 3. Cater your choice to potential game types and read reviews on amazon or pop into your local bookstore and see if you can find any books about Unity. If you are short on cash, which you probably are, ebooks can be much cheaper than the paper version.

Second, go to the Unity asset store and download the free assets to do with learning games - c# game examples is a good one. There are several others. I would suggest possibly concentrating on Javascript in the first instance as C# has a lot of backend stuff that works under the bonnet and makes deciphering the code difficlut if you're not a C# programmer. BTW unity javascript is their own version and javascript as used on the web is not the same. Then you have to look at the code and try to dissect it. make alterations in the script for the samples so you begin to understand what is going on and how things operate. I always find javascript easier to deal with than C# but if you want to get into the industry as a programmer C# is the preferred language.

You basically have to do a lot of work to grasp what is going on with code when you are unfamiliar with it. Use the resources offered by unity, There are a couple of video conference courses which are very basic but show the concepts and do have some example of coding. Look at the Tornado twins they have videos on how to use unity but may also have some on the scripting side. If you have a particular task you want to do in a game look it up in the forums or on the unity wiki and you will often find examples of how to code a particular aspect of a game. This is how a lot of people do it through the kindness of strangers, not everyone has the ability to create an operating system and you shouldn't be downcast about a slow learning process, slow and sure is often the best way. But always look up examples. You may have to enter several search terms to find what you want, very specific terms are not always the best way either so it is usually best to search wide and then take the time scrolling through a hundred or so results than enter a very narrow search term and have nothing turn up.