Search Unity

How to start a legitimate indie company

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by Gamer'sHelmet, Jan 24, 2013.

?

Do You:

1. Program for fun

3 vote(s)
    75.0%
  2. Program for a company or for work

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. Other

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Gamer'sHelmet

Gamer'sHelmet

For all of the indie game developers out there, how did you start your companies. I would like to have a legitimate company, but i don't know the processes of creating one. If someone could help, i will be very thankful

-Gamer's Helmet (or soon to be)

ps. i'm sorry if this is the wrong forum to post this in but i am in need of some teaching

2. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

There's a reason to have a company. In our case it's limited liability and lower taxes. Depending on your situation, you could pay more taxes with a company.

3. Gamer'sHelmet

Gamer'sHelmet

so making a company would be very expensive, what about copyright stuff

4. Gamer'sHelmet

Gamer'sHelmet

but to get a game on steam, what kind of company do have to have established

5. Archania

Archania

Not to be rude here Gamer's Helmet, but you need to search for things that you can easily find yourself. For example you wanted to know how to get a game on Steam: http://www.steampowered.com/steamworks/FAQ.php
    A little google search pulled that up. And going there tells you to look up Steam Greenlight: http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/about/?appid=765&section=faq
    Now depending on your country, you need to do a little searching about creating a company and what steps you need to do. I know in the US, you can do most of it online (or did, haven't done it in years when I did one). Without knowing where you are from except that you want to create a company. You can call yourself whatever you want. Doesn't mean anything. To be a legal company with all the bells and whistles, you need to provide more information and do a little searching.