Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Where do I start to learn about animating characters, rigging, etc?

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by willemmerson, Jan 22, 2013.

1. willemmerson

willemmerson

I am interested in making either a football game or a snowboarding game in unity. Both would seem to require me to know about making a character that will act realistically when bumping into obstacles, and making animations, I just don't know where to start at all.
    Am I best off going through some Blender tutorials, or is it possible to do it all in Unity?

2. kanga

kanga

Hi willemmerson.

Making characters is pretty intensive especially the ones you describe. You cant model in Unity beyond inserting primitives. To model game ready characters you need software that will allow you to model, uv, texture, rig and skin to a rig and animate in. Once you have a finished character you have to import it into the Unity game engine and get it running.

Blender will do it but the process is not really application specific as all software supports various uniform file types. The process itself is important. There is a lot to learn. You can also buy game ready models if you want to concentrate on making levels first. Unity has changed from 3 to version 4. At this point there are no comprehensive tutorials that cover the whole process but the word is they are on the way :)

Cheerio

3. willemmerson

willemmerson

Thanks for this info. I'm not interesting in making anything that realistic, I accept that I'm probably not going to make the next Fifa or Pro Evolution. In fact I don't even care what the players look like at this point - if its 22 soldiers running around the pitch or robots snowboarding down a hill - that's fine. I'm just doing it learn Unity really.
    I'm interested in doing the basics - making a player able to kick the ball, the animation to kick and the physics to make the ball have the force applied to it and bounce. In the case of the snowboarding game, just to get a character to slide down a terrain, and be able to move left and right would be good.
    I have seen both a soccer starter kit and a skiing thing in the asset store, so I might buy one of those and see how they have been made to start off with.