Unity Community

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

1. Location
    Liverpool, UK

Fluidity - A DirectX 11 Competition Entry

See my second entry here : http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/166...X11-Comp-Entry

I would like to share with you all my DX11 competition entry. It's called Fluidity.

As you might of guessed from the title, its a fluid simulation. Most of the heavy work is done inside the compute shader (IE. all of the physics and ray-marching) with the odd exception, such as depth composition and sorting.

Multiple simulations can be run (although I only expose controls for the main attraction in the GUI) and multiple renderers can be run (for example, the four small fluid emitters in the center all share the same simulation, but each have their own renderer). Also, simulations can be linked to motion or animation (like the fluid emitter that orbits the scene).

Also, as a little bonus, I have added in my voronoi destruction stuff to show how the raymarch rendering works in a dynamic environment.

It's something I have been working on for a while but this competition has really pushed me to get it finished and looking great! And I'm fairly pleased with the results, so without further delay (and without getting too technical), here is my finished build :

Fluidity.zip

And for the hardware impaired, here is a video :

I hope you like it! I'm happy to answer any questions you have.

Thanks.
    Last edited by smb02dunnal; 01-22-2013 at 12:59 PM.

2. Location
    Montreal, Quebec
    This is great. I'm amazed by most of the submissions for the dx11 contest. Imagine combining all of our efforts into one game! A game with super realistic fluids, millions of particles, advanced lighting, "constructing" geometry, advanced displacement maps, and inifnite terrains .
    Turbulence Library - Massive collection of procedural noise on the GPU

3. Location
    Istanbul
    Looks good solid fluid effects good luck!

One problem that i downloaded your exe file 2 times but zip file is damaged, can you check it out?

4. Location
    Liverpool, UK
    Quote Originally Posted by cemnahit View Post
    Looks good solid fluid effects good luck!

One problem that i downloaded your exe file 2 times but zip file is damaged, can you check it out?
    Thanks!

Sorry to hear, try this link instead, if it works I'll update the unity one.
    Fluidity.zip

5. Location
    Istanbul
    Quote Originally Posted by smb02dunnal View Post
    Thanks!

Sorry to hear, try this link instead, if it works I'll update the unity one.
    Fluidity.zip
    Fixed, thanks

6. Location
    Italy

7. Location
    Liverpool, UK
    Quote Originally Posted by jesta View Post
    This is great. I'm amazed by most of the submissions for the dx11 contest. Imagine combining all of our efforts into one game! A game with super realistic fluids, millions of particles, advanced lighting, "constructing" geometry, advanced displacement maps, and inifnite terrains .
    There's no reason why this cant happen in my opinion !

8. Location
    Liverpool, UK
    Quote Originally Posted by kenshin View Post
    Really nice!

Thanks!

9. Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jesta View Post
    I'm also blown away by all the submissions, and totally agree with you, imagine what could be achieved by joining forces!

10. Location
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Put all all our stuff together, and we could give UE4 a run for it's money. Unity could really use its own "Elemental Demo". Though I suppose that is the point of this whole contest.
    [Hardware:] Windows 7, Nvidia Geforce GT 440, AMD Athlon II X4 620, 6GB RAM
    [Websites:] Development Blog | LinkedIn
    [Projects :] Alloy Physical Shader Framework | Free RNM Shaders

11. Posts
    Yup yup, and our wouldn't need 680s running in SLI to run properly
    Making games with the fine gentlemen at http://rustltd.com/

12. Location
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Well to be fair, we aren't trying to do full on Voxel Cone Tracing in Unity. Yet...
    [Hardware:] Windows 7, Nvidia Geforce GT 440, AMD Athlon II X4 620, 6GB RAM
    [Websites:] Development Blog | LinkedIn
    [Projects :] Alloy Physical Shader Framework | Free RNM Shaders

13. Posts
    You planning on sharing/selling that vornoi destruction module (is that happening dynamically in unity, or is that phys-baked from another package?) I'd buy it in a hot second (assuming its generating new UVs)
    Making games with the fine gentlemen at http://rustltd.com/

14. Location
    Liverpool, UK
    Quote Originally Posted by xenius View Post
    You planning on sharing/selling that vornoi destruction module (is that happening dynamically in unity, or is that phys-baked from another package?) I'd buy it in a hot second (assuming its generating new UVs)
    It is dynamic, based on mouse click ray. It's something I worked on a while ago. No UV though. Shouldn't be too complicated to add though... Maybe I will do this at some point!

15. Location
    Irvine, CA
    Well this amazing. Downloaded the demo and had lots of fun with it! any chance we will see either of these technologies in the asset store?

16. Location
    Austin, TX
    really impressive particle system demo! had a lot of fun with it!
    VFX Artist @ Full Control Aps
    Follow me on Twitter

17. Posts
    Super awesome, I really hope after the contest is over a lot of the participants put their projects on the asset store, would be amazing to look around at how they did things.

18. Location
    Germany
    I've downloaded the demo, but sadly the screen is entirely pink/magenta. The gui is visible however.
    Odd: I have a dx11 supporting card (since i can run unity in dx11-mode or games with dx11 without problems)..

19. Posts
    This is the most amazing thing I have ever seen on these forums. This blows the Unity DX11 explosions out of the water. Will this be released on the asset store?

20. Location
    Liverpool, UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Mauri View Post
    I've downloaded the demo, but sadly the screen is entirely pink/magenta. The gui is visible however.
    Odd: I have a dx11 supporting card (since i can run unity in dx11-mode or games with dx11 without problems)..
    Can you post the log file to me? I'd be more than happy to fix it for you!

I'm sure you know where to find it, but just in case, look in the fluidity_Data folder (next to the executable) and locate the output_log.txt file. Then just PM the contents to me. I will fix it tomorrow for you (as it's a Friday, and programming after a few beers is never a good idea, really).

PS. Think I just found a bug on the forums, the mrgreen smiley doesn't seem to work in the post preview. (At least for me it doesn't)
    Last edited by smb02dunnal; 01-18-2013 at 05:27 PM.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast