Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Museum of the Microstar - A DX11 contest entry by RUST LTD and co

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by xenius, Jan 18, 2013.

1. xenius

xenius

Edit: At the risk of angering the drobox gods, I present to you the actual build (warning 380mb DL)
    https://dl.dropbox.com/u/11170103/RUST%20Projects/SAF/MuseumoftheMicrostar.rar

System Requirements:
    DX11 GPU with 1 gig vram (GT440 or better)

Greetings! Now that the contest deadline is past, and I've (somewhat) recovered from the insane last week crunch for our project, I wanted to share with you all a bit about our entry: Museum of the Microstar. This project was the product of a collaboration between RUST LTD., Josh Ols (n00body on the forums here), and Arthur Brussee(p v loon) of TinyCube Studio, whose DX11 particles you might have seen in development here: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/151279-TC-Partiticles-Millions-of-GPU-particles. Kudos go out to everyone who busted their butts over the holidays, and tolerated my endless feature requests and at-times-panicked bug reports!

https://vimeo.com/57648939

The video above shows the first of two modes that we made for the piece, a narrated fly-through talking about our technical process. The other mode, which I'll eventually get around to filming (so those without DX11 hardware can enjoy), is an interactive narrative short, told through narrated museum exhibits in the space.

We'll also get the demo itself up at some point in the future, when we can figure out the most economical way to host a 400mb rar file. :)

More high-rez screenshots can be seen at http://rustltd.com/projects/view/32

Thanks for taking a look!

Last edited: Feb 1, 2013
  2. jesta

jesta

Amazing.

3. FlorianSchmoldt

FlorianSchmoldt

I just creamed my pants !

That's brilliant content and a very nice presentation. Please upload a demo !

4. cemnahit

cemnahit

Great work :) Please share executable demo with us..

5. xenius

xenius

Enough of you elbowed me, that I put a build link up at the top of the thread. Enjoy!

6. cemnahit

cemnahit

:)

Last edited: Jan 18, 2013
  7. cemnahit

cemnahit

Your demo is 400MB, what about your project Folder ? How big is it :)

I think it was very hard for you to upload it for competition

8. xenius

xenius

The project file is 4.27 gigs unzipped. I think the total size on the rar I uploaded for the contest was 1.6 gigs. Tis why I set a personal deadline of a full day before the end, in case the upload failed on my glitchy net connection.

9. zihnibabuz

zihnibabuz

Good work. An interesting project

10. cemnahit

cemnahit

Very well done, great project, amazing visuals and DX11 features, professional point of view.

You are my winner for this competition right now :)

11. cemnahit

cemnahit

You guys are sick :)

By the way i couldn't stare at Gravitanium (if i spell right) :)

12. RC-1290

RC-1290

Really Pretty :D

[Finished watching the video]
    Really nice demo, discussing all the different techniques you used.

Looks like a winner to me.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2013
  13. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

Wow very cool, of the entries I've seen so far I'd probably say this is the winner.

14. Metakid

Metakid

This is totally epic, love it!

15. Deleted User

Deleted User

Glad the feedback has been positive thus far. This sucker went through a ton of revisions, both in terms of artistry and the technology we were using. Having a chance to use our tech in a substantial project really forced us to refine it, and allowed us to push all of it to the next level. ;)

16. robert

robert

A really good job :D

17. pvloon

pvloon

Totally agree with n00body! Thank you everyone who enjoyed the shiny particles ;) It has pushed the particle system way waay ahead. I just absolutely have loved / am loving working on this project, has been a joy to work with everyone, and I can't thank them enough :)

Thanks all for the comments!

18. smb02dunnal

smb02dunnal

This project is just great! Loved it start to finish :)

Another great example of the kind of things that are readily available to us with DX11 powered Unity!

Woooo Unity! For all your subtle imperfections, you are truly great, on the whole! ;)

19. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

Looks amazing!

20. impheris

impheris

looks really really great... O.O

21. lilymontoute

lilymontoute

Wonderful job, guys - looks awesome =)

22. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

Wow. Looks awesome. I think this DX11 is the best thing Unity ever did (besides making Unity! :D)

23. Wolfos

Wolfos

It looks really good, but the mouse acceleration makes it feel laggy.

24. defaxer

defaxer

Simply Fantastic! I only wish I had particles like that in my project :)

25. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

That makes me all warm fuzzy inside!

Initially we set out to do DX11 because "we have to do it anyway" (e.g. for WinRT / WP8, DX11 API the only way to get anything onto screen). Then we added compute, tessellation support and some other goodies (UAVs, compute buffers etc.), but I was afraid there wouldn't be many developers who would even know how to use them. I guess there aren't many, but boy, some of the DX11 contest entries are top class!

26. Deleted User

Deleted User

I'm just waiting until all of us start posting our stuff to the store. Then you know someone is going to buy them all and do a mega project! Then...well...CryEngine 3...eat your heart out! :p

27. Wolfos

Wolfos

Well, the Tess shaders are incredibly easy to use, look gorgeous and on non-DX11 platforms it just looks flat instead of not working at all, so it's not like no developers will use it.

28. Dayviewer

Dayviewer

This looks amazing and like tons of fun with all the particle work going around, reminded me of the Unreal 4 tech demo with all the particles around haha.
    I love the idea of the scene too though, I know it's designed to showcase as many of tech as possible but is there any chance of this showing up in a game partially?

29. nipoco

nipoco

I never thought I would ever say that but... with all that stuff, Unity is graphically so close to UDK.

Good job!

30. RC-1290

RC-1290

I think you've got that backwards ;)

31. nipoco

nipoco

Haha yeah!

32. xenius

xenius

@Everyone: Thanks for the compliments! Regarding the whole UDK/Unity4 shtuff, I will simple say that I got the greatest belly-laugh watching Epic's featurette about the elemental demo, and seeing the fellow talk about their 'jumping into edit mode' thing, as though it wasn't simply embarrassing it had taken them so long to have that functionality. Welcome to 3 years ago you dopes.

@Dayviewer: The narrative in our demo environment is essentially an exercise in world-building, for a game idea RUST has been rolling around for about the past two years. We've been holding back on it thus far due to resources, and making sure we're ready to tackle something of the scale we have in mind. Elements of the base asset set in the demo (the white panels, scaffolds, etc.) were part of an asset set i was starting to build for another concept that exists in the same universe. So will this demo show up _in_ another game? Most likely no. Will its aesthetic, narrative context, style? Most likely yes... eventually :)

33. GeneBox

GeneBox

This looks brilliant! Amazing job!

34. holyjewsus

holyjewsus

wow, that center piece in motion is so nice, like I'm watching a movie, just checked out your site, I'm just graduating from UB.

35. xenius

xenius

For anyone who sees this, I'm planning out a blog series, technique focused, on the things we did production-wise for Museum of the Microstar. I'm really interested in what people would like to see in this regard.

Possible topics might include: (Authoring models with tessellation, how we did our lighting, authoring textures for physically based specular). I'm sure there are other things I might overlook that some might like to know the process of.

Let me know what you guys think! I'm super interested in providing what the community needs.

36. Deleted User

Deleted User

37. Mauri

Mauri

Congratz! :)

38. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

Congratulations guys. Wins best.

39. VinnieIannone

VinnieIannone

Looks awesome, great job

40. lilymontoute

lilymontoute

Congrats guys =D

41. RideTheT

RideTheT

Congratulations guys, absolutely amazing stuff! I also thought the whole premise was really interesting, not enough games are set as far in the future as this appears to be.

As for your blog, I know I'd be interested in every element of how you guys made this, especially the tessellation stuff.

42. pvloon

pvloon

Thanks everybody! :) Have said it many times, but will say it again, working with the team has been absolutely wonderful and a great experience. I'm just very thrilled we managed to win, especially seeing how great some of the other candidates were, must have been a close call! Also, big thanks to unity of course, for their awesome engine :)

43. JesOb

JesOb

Put Your project to AssetStore

44. Deleted User

Deleted User

We are currently in the process of making demo assets and documentation while refining our tech. We want to make sure that it is in the most usable state we can manage before we post them to the store. ;)

45. gbxentertainment

gbxentertainment

I was most impressed by your tessellation demonstration - particularly the black "rippling liquidy effect" and the pulsating mushroom.

46. Balint

Balint

Hi! I would download this, but the link to the dropbox says error.

Help!