Search Unity

Research Paper on Indie Game Development.

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by dtg108, Jan 15, 2013.

1. dtg108

dtg108

Hey guys, I'm writing a research paper on Indie game development for school. Any tips/things I should include about game creation would be greatly appreciated.

2. cCoding

cCoding

Paper Outline:

1 - Intro

2 - The history and/ or general scope of what indie game development is
    The types of games, famous developers, etc.

3 - Tools of the trade.
    The languages, the software, etc.

4 - closing.

3. dtg108

dtg108

Thanks, but it has to be much longer than 4 paragraphs, we need probably ten pages.

4. cCoding

cCoding

Maybe try to provide an indepth look at what its' like to be a developer. Show the steps to making a game by either making a custom engine or using Unity3d. Explain how to make a 3D model in blender or maya.

5. dtg108

dtg108

Thanks for the help! I'm starting out with the history like you mentioned, about how hard game distribution was because of cartridges, and then there was computer gaming, etc. and then I'll start on what it takes to be a developer.

6. Gigiwoo

Gigiwoo

Why waste your time? Sounds about as exciting as dirt!

To be rude - reader's don't care about a boring history or vague platitudes. They want 3 things, in order of importance: 1) stories; 2) the interest curve; and 3) a useful take away. Stories aren't a beginning, a middle, and an end - that's grade school crap. Rather, a well told story is: a question or challenge, followed by the emotional struggle/journey, that ends with a galvanizing conclusion (being unexpected helps). An interest curve is what you see in good songs/movies - an opening sequence that catches your attention, followed by slowly building interest, with an exciting peak point, right before the end. And, lastly, the useful take away - a simple idea people can take away, think about, or apply.

TL;DR: Drop the boring history, and use story, interest curve, and a take away. And maybe... someone will actually read all 10 pages.

Good luck,
    Gigi.

PS - Read this twice - I demonstrate the points - story that opens with a question and ends with a galvanizing conclusion. The interest curve - rudeness gains initial interest. And, leaves you a simple simple take-away.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2013
  7. yuriythebest

yuriythebest

Gigiwoo2 I think this just described the general formula for TED talks (which is a good thing - some are quite interesting)

8. Gigiwoo

Gigiwoo

:)

Gigi