Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Multiplayer PvP tank battles!

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Cheburek, Jan 12, 2013.

1. Cheburek

Cheburek

Hi guys,

For some time now I've been working on a multiplayer game which includes fully configurable sci-fi/steampunk-ish tanks, fast paced PvP, and other cool stuff. Game is arena based persistent multiplayer, i.e. as you battle other people, you earn more credits to upgrade or buy new tanks. At the moment, deathmatch is the only game mode, but I also have some ideas about other interesting game-modes in the future.

I do not plan to have any sort of single-player action. My goal is to produce a simple deathmatch level with basic multiplayer PvP combat and test it out to see what may or may not work, and decide where to take the game from there. So you may see game design change quite a bit throughout the development.

The tanks will be modular, building a tank is a big part of the game. Each tank part will give certain benefits, and it's up to the player to achieve best synergies for whatever build. I also have a crazy idea of being able to "salvage" enemy tanks after battle is over (it will be done automatically), which means you can steal other people's things! :twisted:

There aren't really any good screenshots at the moment. I am a programmer, so most of the work that was done so far was on backend such as writing game engine, server engine (I am using Photon with my own semi-authoritative server), which can't really be demoed until I have some working gameplay. Whatever the original art I had changed so dramatically that it doesn't make sense to display it here because it's not representative of the game any longer. But please feel free to scroll down the thread and see the progress.

There is no playable build atm as game is still in very early state, but this is the first thing I am working on.

Comments, ideas, motivational speeches are welcome.

p.s.
    If you would like to offer help (especially graphics), please pm me.
    You will be seated in our lustrous industrial complex:

We've got safety nets, unfriendly staff, 5AM scrum meetings, cheap coffee, and 15 minute lunch breaks. :)

p.p.s.
    Some older image links are missing, they were terrible anyway =)

p.p.p.s

Sorry guys, this project is temporarily on hold for the lack of human resources in testing multiplayer and modeling tanks, and release of 4.6 (which makes me want to strip NGUI out of this game and replace it with much better Unity GUI, necessary but a very daunting task...). I also started new full-time job which leaves me with very little time for this hobby (insufficient for project of this scope).

Meanwhile, I am working on a smaller project for android http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/wip-alamo-luna-space-shooter.280535/ which I can realistically finish in 2-3 months. I will hopefully come back to this game some time later.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2014
  2. squared55

squared55

Very cool looking! Like the menu especially.

3. RJ420

RJ420

Looks great and fun. Did you model everything yourself?

4. tapanui

tapanui

looks great

5. Cheburek

Cheburek

no, I purchased models on asset store.

6. Gobla

Gobla

Looking good! Do you have any ingame footage?

7. Cheburek

Cheburek

not yet game is still in very early state. But I'm working on it now.

8. The Cube

The Cube

WOW, this looks really amazing, can't wait to see gameplay and play it, i really love how to menu works and how the game look. Keep up the amazing work.

9. Cheburek

Cheburek

thank you sir, this means a lot to me.

I am working on refactoring all of the backend code to make server more authoritative and robust for adding NPCs, neutral units, etc. Which means it will be awhile before next update.

10. The Cube

The Cube

Take your time ^_^ good luck.

11. Cheburek

Cheburek

it's been awhile since my last update, but I was working diligently on writing server engine and refactoring all networking code. It's been going pretty smoothly so far, yet I am worried how will it perform with more players.

My idea of networking optimization is to build a "changeset" hashtable over a time interval (e.g. 25ms) and fire that off as a single message to all clients every 25ms. Changeset can include things like object movement, rotation, damage inflicted, and other game events that can occur many times a second. This seems like an improvement over firing a separate response for each change.

The original idea was to have a single remote server (I am using Photon) handle dozens of games (few hundred players) but I have my doubts if this will work. I may have to switch to single dedicated server per game room if former idea fails.

If anyone has experience with optimizing a large scale networking like this please feel free to share.

Meanwhile here's a small WIP video of a tank controlled by a remote player:

12. Fahmim Rezuan

Fahmim Rezuan

Nice project dude. Having a great effect in this game would be great :)

13. Cheburek

Cheburek

small weekly update:
    I was working on gun firing and getting it to work with the new netcode. Firing is a little laggy right now. In future I will add object pooling support to improve performance/reduce run-time mem allocation.

here's the WIP video:

14. Cheburek

Cheburek

new stylish HUD!

15. Cheburek

Cheburek

This week I was working on camera controller that allows players to switch between different camera views as well as observe from other players' tanks.

Nothing fancy to demo yet, so here's me shooting other player's tank (HUD is not wired yet):

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

16. Cheburek

Cheburek

More UI update. Wired most of it (except powerups) to actual game now, and changed layout a little.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2013
  17. Kaji-Atsushi

Kaji-Atsushi

Looks pretty neat so far! Nice work.

18. Tesla-Coil

Tesla-Coil

Tracking this game already for some time now, can not wait to test it out. Keep up the good work and looking forward to a build. Any estimation on a release date for us to try it out?

19. Cheburek

Cheburek

I am guessing in about a month. Basic functionality is mostly complete, but I also want to clean things up and figure out how to better host it (it's running all games on a single non-unity server). Chances are it will get awfully laggy with many people and I will have to add some sort of dedicated server, I am not very experienced with networking.

20. Cheburek

Cheburek

small update: scrolling damage text!

[video=youtube_share;1WfHacbM-A8]http://youtu.be/1WfHacbM-A8

p.s. sorry for terrible video quality.

21. Cheburek

Cheburek

Sorry for no updates for awhile. I've been diligently working on implementing missing features, cleaning up code, and testing with friends. Since I work pretty much alone in my free time off main job things take forever. ;)

Currently I am deciding on which rendering path to take for this game, realistic or toon shader. I was thinking maybe I can get some input from people here:

realistic:
    $Unity 2013-04-27 16-20-06-90.jpg
    (large image link: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5102757/Unity%202013-04-27%2016-20-06-90.jpg)

toon:
    $Unity 2013-04-27 16-31-00-61.jpg
    (large image link: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5102757/Unity%202013-04-27%2016-31-00-61.jpg)

What you guys think?

Last edited: Apr 28, 2013
  22. Cheburek

Cheburek

Here's night time in tank-town :)

Last edited: Apr 28, 2013
  23. Tesla-Coil

Tesla-Coil

Is really looking nice both.
    The cartoon version does remind me about this project : http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/162585-Mini-Tank-Battles

Would it be possible to let the player decide/switch between realistic and toon shader? Would be a great add i guess in the option window related to graphics settings.

Good luck on the progress of the project and would be great to try out the game also. Don't keep it only to your friends. :p

24. MylesLambert

MylesLambert

Out of interest, in the first video how did you do the camera animation? Is it something you scripted or just using an animation set?

25. CG-DJ

CG-DJ

Game looks awesome! Gives me hope that maybe I can complete my project!
    I love the idea to be able to switch between shaders! That's pretty awesome! But if I had to pick a favorite: toon
    Good Luck!

26. Cheburek

Cheburek

I've used Unity Animation. It's pretty easy to use, just move/rotate object in key positions and click "add key frame"

27. oysterCAKE

oysterCAKE

It's looking good, I think the toon shader has more impact than the realistic.
    Only thing however in the screenshots above, something needs to be added, maybe in terms of lighting, to improve depth percetion? Looking at the rocks, they don't look like they're far away?

28. Cheburek

Cheburek

Sorry for lack of updates for awhile. I've hit a wall with not having a 3D artist, so I had to pick up learning 3D modeling myself in order to keep this project moving.

Here's a power up beacon I made (center thingy will spin when activated :p )

The light represents the color of owning team (red or blue). These things will be like "control points" scattered around the map and grant players some benefits when controlled by them.

Last edited: May 21, 2013
  29. Cheburek

Cheburek

testing multiplayer tank duel:

30. Meys

Meys

Wow, this looks amazing! Love the GUI.

Subbing to this thread, if you need anything let me know and I'll see if I can help :)

31. Ben-Massey

Ben-Massey

Looks great, i have to say though im not a fan off that scrolling "chipboard" behind the menu, looks very cheap IMO.

32. Meys

Meys

Why does it say +100 when you hit him?

33. Cheburek

Cheburek

yeah I don't like it either, I agree UI needs work.

I have no idea haha, something I overlooked.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2013
  34. Cheburek

Cheburek

Here's ChillPill Gaming Headquarters (part of the new level Im working on):

anybody need a job? :D

Last edited: Jun 5, 2013
  35. Cheburek

Cheburek

programmer art time!!

The alien mecha-flower-squiddy thing! I know it totally makes sense. :D

36. GoodEnoughGames

GoodEnoughGames

This looks amazing, except none of those images are showing up for me.

37. Meys

Meys

Love it :) Are you doing this solo?

Also is there an alpha/beta program for this? I would love to be involved somehow :)

38. Cheburek

Cheburek

yeah I am on my own at the moment. There is no alpha programs for this because its too early and I dont want to put up semi-unplayable build. But as soon as I have something I am happy with will post download link here.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2013
  39. cops52

cops52

WOW! I had an idea that was related to this game, but this is WAY BETTER than what I would have created. What devices will this game be played on? PC? MAC?

40. Cheburek

Cheburek

thanks for kind comments :)
    Originally it will be on PC,but someday if/when I can afford it I also wanted to release Mac and iPad.

41. Gorlog

Gorlog

Woa very nice game for indie i love tanks! :D

42. Cheburek

Cheburek

been working on firing recoil animation and explosion effects. Not sure if I am happy with it. Let me know if you have any suggestions to improve it:

(watch in high resolution)

I am using Destonator for particle systems atm, I think its ok but not perfect.

43. Gorlog

Gorlog

just advice u add destructive evroment will be very nice :)

44. Cheburek

Cheburek

haha roger0 is already making one with destructible environment :D

My game will probably end up way more arcady and simplistic though.

45. Cheburek

Cheburek

forcefield that you can place around your tank to protect from incoming projectiles:

46. Cheburek

Cheburek

Modular tank schematic. In future players will be able to assemble tanks out of various parts.

p.s. also updated game description in the first post

47. Cheburek

Cheburek

Some more concept art. Yeah I know its noobish, but have to start somewhere :)

light tank concept:

48. Cheburek

Cheburek

Ok here's the first tank mesh I drew myself :) Maybe few too many polys, not sure, Going to try texturing tomorrow.

49. Cheburek

Cheburek

Finally modeling and texturing of my first tank is complete:

(22k tris)

unwrap tank body:

unwrap of gun:

small video (watch in HQ) :)
    [video=youtube_share;kfVsO7gOyxw]http://youtu.be/kfVsO7gOyxw

Entire process took over 3 weeks to complete, but I am really proud how it came out :cool:

Last edited: Jul 16, 2013
  50. roger0

roger0

Looks neat. It's definitely not your ordinary looking tank. If I were you though I would of made the turret a bit more bulky. It looks pretty fragile and weak. Maybe have a armored turret encasing the gun more. Are there any spec maps or normal maps? They would help.