Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Using blender to make models for the asset store?

Discussion in 'Asset Importing & Exporting' started by Sam_Pr, Jan 11, 2013.

1. Sam_Pr

Sam_Pr

Hi, I'm looking to make a couple extra bucks, but I don't have access to 3DsMax, or Maya. So what I'm wondering is can I use Blender to make models for the Unity Asset Store? The only reason I ask this is because Blender does a crap job exporting FBX, and all the assets I see are FBX.

Thanks!

2. Dantus

Dantus

Yes, you can use Blender for that. I am not sure why Blender does a crap job exporting FBX, because also the standard importing of Blender files goes through that exporter. You can't submit Blender files only, but you have to submit the FBX, otherwise it won't be accepted.
    Be assured that exporting meshes and skinned meshes works quite well, if you don't make too funky stuff in Blender. If you read a little through the forums you find lots of workflows that have proven to work.

3. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

yes you can.
    Blender can create assets just as good as 3ds or maya or any other 3d program.
    Not sure what you mean by crap job of exporting FBX, I think blender does a great job Exporting FBX models. You just have to export them properly.

4. Schlumpfsack

Schlumpfsack

i am modelling with blender and i use the asset store, so ....jup...it is possible.

5. Sam_Pr

Sam_Pr

Would you care to explain how to export them properly?

6. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

The way I do it is, I have a folder for that object and in that folder another folder for its textures. All of its texures are of course saved in the texture folder and the model is exported to its corresponding folder.

Before exporting select the mesh, and the entire rig, then go and export fbx, before the final export tick selected objects, and if you have any armature actions make sure to tick export all actions as well. Just export after that and its all good.

see also this video tut on properly exporting to unity3d from blender. This video isn't necessarily about exporting to unity3d, but the tips provided are also good for exporting 3d objects in general.

http://cgcookie.com/unity/2011/12/05/exporting-characters-from-blender/

I hope this helps in some way. But then again I am not really sure what kind of problems you have when you do export. Why do you feel exporting from blender is not that good? I mean what happens when you export your 3d models to fbx?

AdamLazaruso likes this.
  7. nipoco

nipoco

All my models in my sig are done in Blender and they selling pretty good in the AssetStore.

And the pipeline between Blender and Unity works just fine for me. Whether skinned meshes, or static ones. What exactly does not work for you?