Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Adventure Amazon

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by deadpixl, Jan 11, 2013.

1. deadpixl

deadpixl

Hello everyone! My name is Billy i'm a 3d artist at a small company in Green Bay WI. A few months ago a friend of mine and I tackled a F this Jam entry using unity, playable here. We since have decided to attempt to turn it into a fully featured game in our free tim! We wanted to start to share our work on day one so here is some of the art I've created so far.

Here is my first attempt at our logo

First weapon with all of the upgrade art

Test fire effect, hopefully really low impact on mobile devices

WIP turrets

WIP turret with attachments

I know Adam will be posting his code updates in this thread as well, can't wait to get more work done on this! Feedback and Comments appreciated!

Also our blogs are located here

Adam

Billy

2. delyethsam

delyethsam

the models looks good, looks like its all one big model at the bottom. is that a gun and supply place?

3. TheRealFuzz

TheRealFuzz

Awesome style.

4. deadpixl

deadpixl

@TheRealFuzz Thanks

@delyethsam Our game is a bit tower defensey, so the turret is what will hold all of the weapons the player can buy. Each turret can be upgraded during game play and the weapons can be upgraded over time as well. Each turret at the moment can only hold 3 weapons and we plan on having 6 for now. I've got the meshes done for all of the weapons, just tackling one at a time at the moment.

5. adam23

adam23

Adventure Amazon - Monday 1/14/2013 Code Update

I spent the weekend working on a first pass to our TDD, so check it out here -> http://www.allgamedevelopment.com/portfolio/adventure-amazon-tdd/

Also I don't think we did a very good job introducing what this game is. I love real time and turned based strategy games, so naturally I love tower defense games. This isn't your normal tower defense game though, the sole purpose is to give it a RTS feel while playing. Tower defense games are great except a lot of them are build, wait for wave, build, wait, repeat. The goal with this game is to make the entire experience very interactive. We are working on a GDD as well which should help shed some light on some of the mechanics we plan to use.

The entire time while your traveling down a river, your boat will be be bombarded from all directions. The player will need to be collecting items, upgrading, repairing, and using abilities to keep the ship safe. We truly believe the turret system we have designed is very unique, but with every feature until its in prototype phase its hard to make that claim. Think of your turrets as a loadout, each type of gun will have strengths and weaknesses, so how you balance their location and upgrades will have a huge impact on the game. We have a lot of ideas that we are working on solidifying that we will be sharing here and on our blogs.

Definitely check out the TDD, I am going to do my best to keep it updated throughout development, or at least until we have all the major decisions made.

6. deadpixl

deadpixl

Hey guys, here is a small art update to show progress is happening on the art end!

Turret texture is all wrapped up, hopefully this will pop nicely with the background environment.

Also the second weapon with it's bolt. Shotgun will have a second barrel, which I chose to put under the top one so we didn't need two body meshes. An auto loader, the green box on the side and a bird shot element, which is represented by the yellow cylinder. I know that's not realistic but we want to make sure each upgrade has a visual component.

-Billy
    Artblog!!!

7. Prion Games

Prion Games

Looking Good!

8. adam23

adam23

9. deadpixl

deadpixl

This week has been another busy week, hopefully next week will be easier and I can get more done. I did manage to get the rocket launcher all wrapped up and the grenade launcher ready to texture.

10. hellraizerhhh

hellraizerhhh

Look forward to seeing more, I like the style you have going on here and in the Scarygirl scene on your page.

11. adam23

adam23

Over the last week I ran into something that took me way longer than it should have. I've found it is these little situations that teach me the most about using Unity, and really get me digging into the community resources. The math behind doing this is fairly simple, yet hung me up because of a lack of understanding of Unity3D.

Enjoy the Read, and please leave comments with funny stories of things you've solved which should of taken way less time than it did.

http://www.allgamedevelopment.com/portfolio/adventure-amazon-code-update_3/

Thanks
    Adam

12. deadpixl

deadpixl

Another Friday and some more art!

I started to work on one of our first pick ups, WIP still.

Then I wrapped up the Harpoon and Grenade Launcher.

I also managed to start doing some interface wireframing in a tool called Gomockingbird So I've got most of our interface sorted out.

Comment and Crits welcome! More next Friday!

13. adam23

adam23

14. deadpixl

deadpixl

Seeing the gun in action was pretty awesome, I can't wait to see more of the weapons up and running. This week I took some time to start on some of the environment.

I wrapped up the pick up crate and started some work on some trees.

As for mock up stuff a coworker showed me a new tool so I think I might try that, hopefully i'll have something to show for that in a few weeks.

15. DexRobinson

DexRobinson

really like the art style very TF2. What kind of game is this going to be?

16. ogier

ogier

+++

And the logo really nice too!

17. adam23

adam23

This past week I spent a lot of time setting up the RPG gun, as well as working on a rough first pass on projectile class that allows me to track a target. I think the RPG will help make the other guns much quicker to setup to work. I also setup a the damage on the machine gun correctly now, which acts more as a “drain” instead of firing tons of projectiles. My son ended up getting really interested in helping me tweak the values in the game which led to some really cool tests. I’ve got some flying enemies that take damage and blow up correctly now.

Read full post here -> http://www.allgamedevelopment.com/portfolio/adventure-amazon-code-update-5/

Lets start with looking at the variables I need for the projectile. ( Please note all this is still very early and not final at all )
    Code (csharp):
    2.   public GameObject currentTarget;
    3.   public GameObject launcher;
    4.   public float speed = 10.0f;
    5.   public float damage = 10.0f;
    6.   public float lifeTime = 5.0f;
    7.   public float ignoreCollisionTime = 1.0f;
    8.   public GameObject explosionParticle;
    9.   public bool bRadius = false;
    10.   public float Radius = 100.0f;
    11.   public bool bFindNewTarget = true;
    12.   private float aliveTime = 0.0f;
    Most of these variables are self explanatory, but theres a few I want to go over.
    launcher: This is the gun that fired the missile/projectile

• ignoreCollisionTime: This is the time where the projectile ignores any collision, can usually be set to 0, but sometimes its necessary just to have this tweak-able option in there.
    • lifeTime: This is the time the missile will live if no collision is made.
    • bRadius: If true the missile does radius damage when it explodes
      The targeting is really simple right now, in the future I want to add a few things to improve the projectile such as dampening rotation, and acceleration. This will come in phase 2 of my work.
    Code (csharp):
    2.     if( currentTarget != null )
    3.     {
    4.       transform.LookAt( currentTarget.transform );
    5.       transform.Translate( Vector3.forward * speed * Time.deltaTime );
    6.     }
    I also do work in the projectile for searching for a new enemy if a target is not found, it basically does a quick search for the nearest enemy and picks that as the new target. This is only uses if the first target is destroyed, which in the future maybe handled a bit better by not allowing “overkill” to occur. ”Overkill” is what happens when something is targeted even though lethal damage will already be dealt. If you’ve played Starcraft 1 you’ll understand the overkill concept because the Siege tanks would all fire at the same unity which wastes damage that could of been dealt to the same unit, where effectively 2 shots would of killed the unit.
    Now onto collision
    Code (csharp):
    2.   void OnCollisionEnter( Collision other ) {
    4.     if( aliveTime < ignoreCollisionTime )
    5.       return;
    7.     if( other.gameObject == launcher )
    8.       return;
    10.     if( other.gameObject.tag == "Enemy" )
    11.     {
    12.       EnemyMovement en = other.gameObject.GetComponentInChildren<EnemyMovement>( );
    13.       if( en != null )
    14.       {
    15.         en.TakeDamage( damage );
    16.       }
    17.       Explode( );
    18.     }
    19.     else if( other.gameObject.tag == "Turret" )
    20.     {
    21.       Explode( );
    22.     }
    23.     else if( other.gameObject.tag == "Core" )
    24.     {
    25.       Core coreComp = other.gameObject.GetComponent<Core>( );
    26.       coreComp.TakeDamage( damage );
    27.       Explode( );
    28.     }
    29.   }
    I’m really not sure if this is the best way to handle collision, but it seems effective enough. I’m calling TakeDamage on the component when it is hit, in fact I may switch this over to “SendMessage” call in the future, but for now a public TakeDamage function is fine. I also think I want to make a “HealthBase” that all damageable objects inherit from that way the damage interface is exactly the same for all objects. That will probably be something I work on this week.
    Explode is a pretty simple function that just detonates the projectile, spawns an explosion particle, and does radius damage.
    Code (csharp):
    2.   void Explode( ) {
    3.     Instantiate( explosionParticle, transform.position, transform.rotation );
    5.     if( bRadius )
    6.     {
    7.       GameObject[] enemies = GameObject.FindGameObjectsWithTag( "Enemy" );
    8.       foreach ( GameObject en in enemies )
    9.       {
    10.         Vector3 toVec = en.transform.position - transform.position;
    11.         if( toVec.magnitude < Radius )
    12.         {
    13.           EnemyMovement enComp = en.GetComponentInChildren<EnemyMovement>( );
    14.           enComp.TakeDamage( damage );
    15.         }
    16.       }
    17.     }
    18.     Destroy( gameObject );
    19.   }
    This is the brunt of the work that I got done this last week in my free time. I’m really happy with how this game is shaping up, and its really encouraging to me that my son is enjoying helping me with it even though he’s only 7.
    Until Next time, thanks for reading.

18. fano_linux

fano_linux

nice colors... i like it

19. deadpixl

deadpixl

Hey guys, Thanks for the kind words. Sorry for missing last weeks update but I was in Walt Disney World getting engaged! So here is a special mid week art update, next week I'll get back to an every Friday schedule.

I'm still thinking I need 2 more plants, not sure yet. I still have rocks and maybe some water based plants to add. The tileset if very much WIP, i'm thinking I'll either work on wrapping that up or move on to an enemy. Either way I'm going to be doing some concept art for these.

20. adam23

adam23

Adventure Amazon Code Update 6

This past weekend I spent a lot of Saturday working on projectiles and guns. I ran into one snag that really has me perplexed, that I've made a post about here http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/171635-Hiearchy-issue

I spent a lot of time trying to track down the real cause of this issue only to end up right where I started multiple times. Once I get past this hurdle it should be smooth sailing for finishing up the variations of projectiles the RPG can launch.

Starting this week I want to dedicate at least a few hours each day to working on the project, these past couple weeks have been incredibly busy and my average time a week dropped from 12 hours down to 6 this past week, and I am committed to make up that time this week. My goal is to put at least 20 hours in this week.

I'm working on some pretty neat systems for managing projectiles, tracking, and settings that we can tweak to balance the game, but beyond that its been a pretty slow week, hopefully I'll have figured out the issue above and moved on.

21. deadpixl

deadpixl

Hey everyone, It's friday so it's art update time.

This week I wrapped up work on the first tileset.

What I need to do yet is atlas everything to a single texture and export into the engine. That shouldn't be too hard, I'll tackle that over the weekend.

After that I'm going to wrap up the water fx and some of the water assets, like rocks in the water (maybe). Then move on to our first enemy, which I'm really excited to work on. Concept art below

Pretty crude pencil sketch, but it gets the job done.

C and C welcome!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 3, 2013
  22. Random-username

Random-username

Hey, the concept art you mentioned isn't showing up for me... Otherwise, I really love the graphical style of this game and am really excited for when this starts getting some gameplay going!

23. deadpixl

deadpixl

Fixed the images sorry about that.

24. tapanui

tapanui

wow looks good

25. deadpixl

deadpixl

I had a chance to get a bit more work done over the last week. I've got the tileset atlased and in engine, then moved on to our first enemy mesh which is around 371 triangles.

Don't forget to check out the art blog!

26. deadpixl

deadpixl

More work on the enemy! I took some time to start animating the bird. Right now he just has a fly, I need to talk to adam and figure out the animation list.

I also took a first pass at the wings textures, wasn't happy so I'm going to do another.

27. angel_m

angel_m

Fantastic art.

28. helioraanswer

helioraanswer

Great textures! Very cool style.

29. jeko_composer

jeko_composer

Very nice Styff man...i love it!!

30. deadpixl

deadpixl

Thanks everyone!

One more update before GDC, bird enemy texture is all done!

31. ikomnen

ikomnen

Nice texturing guys...

32. deadpixl

deadpixl

@ikomnen - Thank You

So in my post GDC haze I did manage to get some stuff together. Adam and I talked about the new gameplay and we're pretty excited. I got him some proto meshes for testing and moved on to some stuff that wouldn't be effected by our gameplay changes.

Water Mines!

3 Levels of the mines

All of the mines bits and pieces

Level 2 mine in engine with some simple animations.

33. deadpixl

deadpixl

Treasure chest is done!

34. Deleted User

Deleted User

Looking nice, keep up the good work :)

35. Dooskington

Dooskington

Nice work guys, Really loving the art style :D

36. deadpixl

deadpixl

Thanks Guys! We're trucking along, hopefully we'll have some gameplay videos soon!

37. deadpixl

deadpixl

Totem is about 80% done, c and c welcome!

38. Ben-Massey

Ben-Massey

Looks great, loving the artstyle! I think what you should experiment with is water transparency and underwater life such as scuttle foilege/rocks similar to this picture.

Assuming that this game is birdseye view some faint fog/cloud particlesto pass the camera would also contribute the visuals.
    Either way looking great love the textures.

39. deadpixl

deadpixl

@Ben4Views - Yeah we totally plan on doing a second pass on the water. I'm not sure if we'll be able to do the underwater stuff on mobile, but we'll try. Once we get more stuff in game and can see how it runs.

Just got the fish enemy finished. Hopefully tonight I can get him rigged, animated and in game.

Once he's in, I'll be moving on to the boat and our first weapon. After that polish everything we have in game so we can show off our first playable!

40. tonyclifton

tonyclifton

Which platform are you targeting (mobile, pc)? The artwork is looking great so far!

41. deadpixl

deadpixl

Hey Tony, Right now we're targeting android first then probably moving onto IoS.

42. deadpixl

deadpixl

Hey Everyone. I managed to get some more content done this weekend. We've got the boat and our new machine gun turret. The turret has got animations and is ready to go in game. The boat still needs some animation love and what not, but we're getting really close to our first playable!

43. fano_linux

fano_linux

bravo... very nice colors and environment.

44. ogier

ogier

Your work is awesome ! Like Fano, i really like your color use.
    The boat is just perfect :)

45. deadpixl

deadpixl

Thanks guys!

Last few core assets have been added, now it's time to polish and work on our first playable!

46. deadpixl

deadpixl

Some more art, built the base for the second tileset. The temple, I'll be working on the props for this tileset next then on to the next weapon.

47. deadpixl

deadpixl

It's been very busy for us lately so progress has been a bit slow. I did manage to wrap up the rocket launcher weapon.

I'm hoping this week I can get one more weapon done, we'll see. I'm hoping next week will be a bit more relaxed.

48. Zeblote

Zeblote

How do you create those textures! They look like simplistic, yet exactly fitting the style of the models

Last edited: Jun 25, 2013