Search Unity

Is SWF files export with Unity3D 4 corruped?

Discussion in 'Flash' started by castana, Jan 10, 2013.

1. castana

castana

Hi
    I am trying a lot with Unity3D 4.0.0 and mainly with its export Flash function since I am interested in making 3D games with unity3D for Samsung/LG Smart Tv apps.
    Since that I could not do one app for Samsung Smart TV yet with SWF files done with Unity because the Samsung SDK do not play this one in its interface and if I could do it with one SWF files exported from Flash Pro, for it, I installed from Adobe Labs the SWFInvestigator software to see the differences between both diferents SWF files.
    So, when I opened several SWF files done with Flash Pro into SWFInvestigator, they opened successfully but when I tried to open the SWF files done with Unity3D the SWFInvestigator Crash.....
    For it, Could it be possible that SWF files done with Unity be corrupted or something?
    Thanks
    Best Regards
    Alejandro Castan
    Ps: Sorry for my little engllish

2. mbolt

mbolt

Castana,

I can't answer this with certainty, but I have a pretty reasonable guess:

Because Unity uses the FlasCC (formally Adobe "Alchemy"), which allows execution of C/C++ code in the Flash Player, the SWF output most likely contains some opcodes and/or instructions that most SWF viewers or decompilers are not equipped to deal with. Cleverly, the "SWF Investigator" developers would have you believe that because it can't recognize these foreign opcodes, the SWF must be corrupted.

Hope this helps.

3. RalphH

RalphH

Administrator

The swf's are by no means corrupt; if that was the case they wouldn't playback in the flashplayer. What's really going on is that we LZMA compress swf's; a relatively new SWF feature, I suspect that this is not supported by the swf investigator.

If you want to make games that run on tv's; check the Flash player on those devices.

@mbolt; we do not use FlasCC, rather we have our own c++->as3 pipeline that does make use of the same strategy (fast memory opcodes) as Flascc does).

SwfInvestigator should be fine with the opcodes (although we do optimize the bytecode to formatting that the as3 compiler can't generate, which also might be the issue).

4. etMatt

etMatt

Ah, thanks for the education - that's awesome that you guys opted out of the FlasCC stuff and went home grown. Very cool.