Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Virtual Painter - 3D Mesh Painting Tool For Within Unity3D

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by wolfstien786, Jan 10, 2013.

1. wolfstien786

wolfstien786

Virtual Painter is a very powerful tool which allows you to texture your models within unity itself by simply painting on the mesh. Import your mesh in Unity and start painting in on it 3D and in realtime, its that simple !! The end texture is saved in a .png format so that you can edit it in your preferred photo editing software.

Here's a Video of Virtual Painter in action :

Features :
    01. Shader Independent
    02. Alpha Blending
    03. Paint Unlimited number of Textures
    04. Paint Colours from any colour palette
    05. Paint Unlimited number of Normal Maps
    06. Paint Unlimited number of Parallax Maps
    07. Paint Unlimited number of Detail Maps
    08. Paint Unlimited number of Illumination Maps
    09. Paint Unlimited number of Specular Maps
    10. Paint with your own Custom Brushes
    11. Brush Opacity option which affects everything (Color, textures, normal maps, etc.)
    12. Saves textures in png format
    13. Paints in Realtime

Here are some images :

[P.S. - Your mesh should not have overlapping uv's in order for Virtual Painter to run]

Here's the package to download : View attachment $Virtual Painter 2.0.unitypackage

And people, if you are using this tool which i have given for free, please post some pictures and videos of all the art that you have been able to achieve through Virtual Painter. It's my earnest request. It would make me really happy if I could see some stuff. Feel free to post ANYTHING ! :)

Last edited: Sep 7, 2014
  2. macdude2

macdude2

I assume you are not using vertex painting? Would you mind sharing your method? I assume its some kind of render-texture overlaid on a mesh?

3. KelsoMRK

KelsoMRK

You can do it without render textures by manipulating the material texture directly based on the UV coordinate of a raycast hit. Conceptually it's fairly straightforward.

4. wolfstien786

wolfstien786

KelsoMRK is exactly right macdude2. You don't need render textures and stuff. By finding out which uv coordinate your raycast hits, you can manipulate the texture at that point. You can check out the docs. That's where I started from.

5. Play_Edu

Play_Edu

aweeeeeeeeeeeesm

6. RadiationBeta

RadiationBeta

This looks really good! Any info on price/release date?

7. rufreakde

rufreakde

Do you share this with the community? ^^ Would like to know the price or if its would be free.
    Also I wanted to know if there will be a watermarked testversion ;)

mfg

8. wolfstien786

wolfstien786

I am releasing the package for free for a limited period of time !! So hurry and download it !!! Please make sure to share your opinions and views about this package here :)

Last edited: Sep 22, 2013
    domkia likes this.
  9. Foestar

Foestar

Awesome!

10. theAfrican

theAfrican

great, thanx. jst downloaded it. will give you feed back

11. wolfstien786

wolfstien786

Please post your feedback people !!

12. Psyche_RTS

Psyche_RTS

Hi wolfstien786!

Your tool is absolutely great!
    The GUI need a little more work I think (especially on the Skin) to become a "professionnal" look like product.

After using it, I have three questions:

Could it be possible to change the size of the brush? (I guess not because size is dictated by the brush texture).
    Is there a way to change the texture tiling size? (I guess not because I think, the size depends directly from the size of the texture)
    So could it be possible to paint with materials instead of texture?

13. virror

virror

This would be so cool with a hydra + rift : D

14. scr33ner

scr33ner

This is definitely something that I've been wanting for some time...

Just downloaded will definitely have to give it a run through.

Thank you for this!

15. wolfstien786

wolfstien786

Its great to hear that the tool is coming of some help to the community users.

Hi Psyche_RTS !
    Yeah i know that the GUI sucks......i'm not into designing. Yes, changing brush size is crucial for such a tool. I haven't looked into the code for nearly 8 months now so i cant say for sure if i can implement this feature. Same goes for the other two statements as well. I'll have to sit and figure things out before i can post anything concerning and update. Cheers ! :)

16. Tonmeister.

Tonmeister.

Hi wolfstien, i'm not sure if I am doing anything wrong, but I can't seem to get it to work after following the instructions. I'm not getting any errors so i'm not sure if there are is anything i need to address. My object has a material and it's in the slot, i'm only using 3 of the brushes as a test, and they are all argb32, read/write. all other mechanics appear to work, other than being able to paint. it should work on unity4?

thanks!

17. drift501

drift501

Hello. Is it possible to paint on a texture with this to be used as decals and also if this is possible to have the texture projected onto the car wherever the players mouse is and when they click it is saved onto the texture?

18. wolfstien786

wolfstien786

Hi Tonmeister !
    I just tested the package in a new project using Unity4 and its working just fine. You need to keep the "Texture" toggle on in order to paint any texture on your model. Same goes for the other options though you won't be able to paint anything if two or more toggles are on simultaneously. I'd say, you might also want to check out the video to see if you are doing anything wrong. Hope that helps :)

Hi drift501 !
    It is possible to use Virtual Painter to paint on a texture for it to be used as decals. You can tie up a projector with the mouse so that the texture being projected onto your car will always follow the mouse. And then when you click, the projected texture will save onto the car texture. Hope that helps.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2013
  19. wolfstien786

wolfstien786

The package has been downloaded 81 times, and yet I haven't received much feedback.......Come on people !!!

EDIT :
    The file has now been downloaded well over a 100 times.......

Last edited: Nov 23, 2013
  20. Wolfos

Wolfos

This is my new favourite plugin. It's RIDICULOUSLY GOOD. Only problems I have so far is that you can't set the brush size without changing the brush itself and the camera controls aren't that good (but acceptable).

EDIT:

Eh, it appears that it doesn't save the texture at all. If I exit the scene or open the texture in Photoshop all the changes are gone.

EDIT2:

Apparently it saves in the root of the Assets folder, in a file called Painted Texture.png or something.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2013
  21. wolfstien786

wolfstien786

Hi Wolfos !
    I'm glad to see you found my plugin useful :) Yes, it does store the painted texture as a new file so that you don't need to modify the original texture.

It'd be really cool if you guys could post pictures of what u've been able to achieve using this plugin !

Oh, and i almost forgot, i'm not working on the plugin for now because of my exams and also because i'm working on my own racing game. As soon as i'm done with it, i'll go back to providing updates and making Virtual Painter even better ! :)

22. saddam751

saddam751

From where should download it..??? Any link???/

23. taichiu727magnus

taichiu727magnus

great! i was just thinking about this :) But which one is it?

Last edited: Dec 3, 2013
  24. wolfstien786

wolfstien786

The link is present in my first post

Last edited: Dec 5, 2013
  25. saddam751

saddam751

26. ninjanosui

ninjanosui

Great! Thanks a lot for sharing

27. destapp

destapp

hi wolfstien virtual painter is great, really useful.
    i wanna ask something about eraser texture.
    i change white base_texture with my custome image, and then i brush my custom image with brush texture. if i want to erase my brush texture, its change all texture my image become white...
    i realize because of this script:

if(toggle_Erase_Tex DetectPaintableTex())
    {
    ColourPicker.colour = Color.white;
    PaintBrushCol(pixelUV_Tex.x,pixelUV_Tex.y,brushTexture[count_Brush]);
    }

how to change Color.white become transparent/ alpha or how to reset brush texture??

thx wolfstien ^^

28. Pamela_E

Pamela_E

Is it a kind of vertex painting technique ? And another problem i am facing is that it is not saving my work. Because when i open it on other software changes are gone :( :/

29. sathya

sathya

Cool. How did you achieve that stretched blurry reflection !

30. AssmeisTer

AssmeisTer

Thank you very much @wolfstein786 this tool is great!! I am trying to send the texture file dynamically in runtime to other software. Will keep posted. Do let me know if anyone has any suggestions regarding this. Cheers!

31. wolfstien786

wolfstien786

AssmeisTer, it's great to hear that you are doing something innovative with this tool ! :) Yes, please do keep me and the others posted on your progress.

Sathya, well, i don't really remember. I guess I passed some kind of blur filter onto the base image in paint.net to get the blurry kind of feel.

Pamela_E, are you using the same .png file which is being saved because I really don't think that you should be having this particular problem.

Hey desta ! About that problem. I could not find a solution to erase the drawn texture on the base the base texture. So as work around I kept the base texture as white and then painted the same white texture when trying to erase. This gave the illusion that the texture is being erased. It won't work for some other base texture.

I haven't looked into my code for a looooong time due to my ongoing classes. Maybe I'll try to further the development on this tool soon.

And people, if you are using this tool which i have given for free, please post some pictures and videos of all the art that you have been able to achieve through Virtual Painter. It's my earnest request. It would make me really happy if I could see some stuff. Feel free to post ANYTHING ! :)

32. wana7262

wana7262

Mobile Supported????

33. wolfstien786

wolfstien786

I haven't checked it on a phone but I really don't think the code underneath is optimized enough to run smoothly on the mobile platform.

34. Realgar

Realgar

Hello, I just reactivate an old project: to make parietal art. You were encouraging me to use your asset which has the very very suitable air this use. is it still up? is it still on sale on the asset store? can you just help me a little if necessary via the forums? thank you in advance for your answer.
    Olivier / France

35. wolfstien786

wolfstien786

Yeah sure...... Please go ahead

36. Chilinger

Chilinger

To increase the brush has as

37. Gorav kumar

Gorav kumar

38. marcell123455

marcell123455

Hi I want to post some pictures (ore some more) but i cant paint my model complete and i dont know why? you can take a look of my model and the UV here. /// A other question is, how to add a second or third gameobject to paint to the paint script?

Thanks for every help!

39. jms1717

jms1717

Hi, I'm kinda new in unity. I am using unity 5.2.3 and I don't know java or anything. It is showing the GUI but it just isn't painting. I really would like this to work and I am making a car game and saw those pictures and really wanted to do that. Can you at least post the link to that project?

Thanks
    -jms1717

40. killer_mech

killer_mech

Almost at the end of 2018 and 6 years later, this package still works like a charm. Thanks @wolfstien786 .

41. grobonom

grobonom

just deleted it x)) i don't even starts....

too bad as it looked interresting !
    and too bad again as there's no simple solution fot plainting / splat-painting in unity :(

happy unitying !

42. khos

khos

What do you mean by this, is the package not working? What is the error?